Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Halloween 81 Box
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:12 pm 

Hmmmm, anyone else wonder if we should have received a DVD with all that survived of the filmed concert Frank talks about for the 10/31/81 12AM show on discs 3 and 4?

Alright, I hear you and yes I actually already have the DVD 'The Torture Never Stops.' released in 2007, which seems to be this very concert and perhaps that's all the filmed footage that exists..... or is it and why couldn't it have been thrown in with this set to buffer the horror of missing a whole Frank Zappa musical piece (the legendary 'Strictly Genteel' which first popped up on the 200 Motels soundtrack and later performed by the London Symphony Orchestra for the London Symphony Orchestra 2nd album. As if hard core fans want to miss out on a performance of that? Hence I had to pay extra for the highlights set to complete the concerts and I'll be constantly reminding you so you never lie to fans again like this.) Who knows what else might have been lurking in the vault to compliment this superb video footage??? The DVD also came with a groovy booklet featuring Scott Thunes notes, groovy punch out Honker video 'NO-D' glasses featuring the Zappa nose and 6 stickers on a single sticker sheet. (all that and the DVD was a fraction of what this recent box set cost I might add.)

Finally it begs the question as to the proclamation of 'unreleased tracks' again and reduces the actual stated unreleased number from 78 down to 62 unreleased tracks, taking away the tracks already released on the 'Torture Never Stops.' 2007 DVD????

There's 86 tracks in total in the box set and you may as well add an extra one which can be found on the highlights CD(guess that makes it 63 unreleased tracks except for the fact this disc is not included in the set proclaiming 'complete concerts' and as other fans have mentioned you want the performance of 'The Black Page #2' from the highlights CD as the version in the box set has been edited to completely cut out the 'Strictly Genteel' performance.

Would love to know if there was any more footage for these shows or if 'The Torture Never Stops' DVD is it???????
One thing I would have loved to have seen was the performance of the heavy metal version of 'Auld Lang Syne' which sent this fan into a fit of laughing hysteria. The magic of a Frank Zappa concert was that you never knew what you might get.
This was(according to the box set) the final performance as an encore from the 10/31/81 12am show.

In any case, I'm now throwing my 'Torture Never Stops' DVD into this box to help justify it's size and because it does really belong with it. How I'd love to throw a complete unreleased video of some release into here as well if it perhaps becomes available. This might be a nice olive branch to ease a fans pain.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:06 pm 

There is an official VHS-only promo release called You Are What You Is that contains Whipping Post from the late show. It has really cheesy 80's video effects slathered all over it, which is why I think it was left off the Torture DVD.

Also, the early show was broadcast live on MTV. It's complete up to The Torture Never Stops and it's pretty easy to find.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:44 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
There is an official VHS-only promo release called You Are What You Is that contains Whipping Post from the late show. It has really cheesy 80's video effects slathered all over it, which is why I think it was left off the Torture DVD.

Also, the early show was broadcast live on MTV. It's complete up to The Torture Never Stops and it's pretty easy to find.

I downloaded the MTV "Torture Never Stops" show a few months back. It's still around. The version I have has the rest of
the show not broadcast in audio. :smoke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7