Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:49 pm 

[quote author=swiftkicknow link=board=albums;num=1086946456;start=0#8 date=03/03/05 at 06:40:14]I like--<br><br>LC Burt<br>She painted up her face<br>Daddy Daddy Daddy<br>What will this evening bring me this morning<br>Magic Fingers<br>Strictly Genteel<br><br>Anymore I pretty much skip over the rest of it<br><br>But maybe once a year Penis Dimensions is good for a laugh when I'm in a mood for some weird vaudeville  ;)<br>[/quote]<br><br>Daddy, Daddy, Daddy and What Will This Evening Bring Me This Morning are INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:53 pm 

Take away the lyrics to Penis Dimension, and what's left ?  An incredible piece of music...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:24 pm 

Frank Zappa: 200 Motels (1971)

50 years ago, in the early days of 1971, Frank Zappa led his Mothers of Invention, assorted friends, guest stars, hangers-on, and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, to Pinewood Studios, outside London, for the shooting of a feature film named 200 Motels.

Problem was, except for Zappa himself, few of those involved had any clear sense of what the movie was about, including nominal director Tony Palmer, and the entire shoot was to be crammed into a single week ... what could possibly go wrong?

Well, as we know today, both the music and script (if you can call it that) were largely based on the Mothers’ touring experiences over previous years, which, per Frank’s calculations added up to roughly 200 concerts and, therefore, 200 nights spent in 200 Motels.

The general idea was to document and satirize the band’s increasingly deranged pastimes and misadventures on the road, as days, nights, towns, venues, concerts, groupies and, of course, cheap motels, gradually blurred into a mind-numbing grind.

Ironically, Frank himself barely appears in the film, except to perform live with the band, sometimes backed by the R.P.O., during breaks from the convoluted plot, which places the Mothers in “Centerville”: a typical American town, complete with a “Cheesy Motel,” “Fake Nightclub,” the “Redneck Eats” cafe and a “Rancid Boutique.”

As they grow increasingly tired, paranoid and desperate to avoid boredom at all costs, band members channel their energy into chasing groupies, trashing their rooms, trying “freaky” new drugs, and plotting against an all-seeing, all-controlling Zappa, played in the action sequences by ... Ringo Starr!

Another main character in the film is a government agent called Rance Muhammitz, portrayed by actor, folk singer and activist Theodore Bikel; he spends the entire film trying to convince band members to sign contracts in blood, selling their souls for cheeseburgers and such.

And, like any group of immature, over-sexed young men, cooped together for extended periods of time, Zappa and the Mothers have their own secret language, rituals, and inside jokes to share -- pity that many of these (“Penis Dimension,” “Daddy, Daddy, Daddy,” etc.) either baffled fans or offended some of the classical musicians on hand.

Personally, the only segments of the film I found enjoyable were the band’s tight, well-oiled performances (especially “Mystery Roach” and “Magic Fingers”) and a surprisingly well-rendered (and coherent!) animated sequence called “Dental Hygiene Dilemma,” which shows recently departed bassist Jeff Simmons grappling with his conscience about “playing all this comedy music,” ultimately leading Jeff to conclude: “You’re right! I’m too heavy for this group!”

Strange as this may seem, I sometimes wonder if Simmons didn’t have the last laugh, because 200 Motels and its double album soundtrack wouldn’t see release until the end of ‘71, after much delay and legal hand-wringing by Zappa’s label United Artists, only to meet with mostly negative reviews.

Even for Zappa diehards like myself, well-accustomed to the brilliant man’s indiscriminate genre-hopping and high-brow/low-brow dichotomies, 200 Motels can try the patience; but the soundtrack also rewards it with intriguing avant-garde classical pieces like “Dance of the Just Plain Folks,” “Touring Can Make You Crazy” and “I’m Stealing the Towels.”

And as Frank himself admitted, at the time: “For those who can’t stand the Mothers and have always thought we were nothing more than a bunch of tone-deaf perverts, 200 Motels will probably confirm their very worst suspicions."

Indeed ... but, if you still feel like witnessing some of this for yourself (did I mention Keith Moon ‘The Loon’ was there too?), I’d recommend the eye-opening documentary, The True Story of Frank Zappa's 200 Motels, more than I would the actual film -- just don’t say I didn’t warn you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:48 pm 

Luv all the inserts and Posters Gray_Ghost, will have to give my original Vinyl a spin and watch the DVD of the Movie again :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:32 pm 

No worries, I came across the pics and "review" while sliding about on the dark side of tumbler.....
they also caused me to break out ye olde vinyl and have a good old smell and feel..... 8)