Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309  Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:12 pm 

Michael Lonsdale

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:25 pm 

I just wikipedia him.
Boy, he kept himself busy ! He must have lived 2 lives...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:57 pm 

I first time saw him in James Bond moonraker:
and later found out about more interesting stuff that he contributed to - the phantom of liberty:
ImageImage
Definitely that kind of actor who makes any movie better that he appears in (and nice ass by the way).
I will miss him :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:59 am 

George Bizos, Anti-Apartheid Lawyer Who Defended Mandela, Dies at 92

George Bizos, who fled the Nazi occupation of his native Greece at age 13 to become one of South Africa’s most prominent human rights lawyers, championing Black people who were denied those rights and devising a three-word phrase that may have shielded his client and friend Nelson Mandela from execution, died on Wednesday at his home in Johannesburg. He was 92.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/09/world/africa/george-bizos-dead.html

Zapiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:24 pm 

NFL Legend Gale Sayers Dies at 77

(CNN) NFL legend Gale Sayers has died at the age of 77.

Widely regarded as one of the greatest running backs to ever carry a football, the former Chicago Bear was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1977.

Sayers earned additional inclusion in the cultural zeitgeist as a central figure in the tear-jerking 1971 film "Brian's Song."

Based upon Sayers' autobiography "I Am Third," the movie details the friendship between Sayers, played by Billy Dee Williams, and teammate Brian Piccolo, portrayed by James Caan, as the latter succumbs to embryonal cell carcinoma at the age of 26.

Sayers' and Piccolo's starkly contrasted backgrounds and personalities made the pair unlikely friends, however the unique bond that developed proved transcendental given the racial barriers that existed in the NFL of the 1960s.

more here :arrow: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/us/gale-sayers-chicago-bears-dead-spt-trnd/index.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:59 am 

WWE: Road Warrior Animal Dead at 60, and Fans Are Stunned

By Brian Jones - September 23, 2020 12:08 pm EDT
https://popculture.com/sports/news/wwe-road-warrior-animal-dead-60-fans-stunned/

WWE fans were shocked to hear about the death of Joe Laurinaitis, who was better known as Road Warrior Animal. Laurinaitis died at the age of 60, and the cause of death has not been disclosed. He was one-half of the Hall of Fame Tag team, The Road Warriors, also known as the Legion of Doom in WWE.

"One of the most intense Superstars to ever step into the squared circle, the 6-foot-2, 300-pound Animal spent most of his career alongside his tag team partner, Hawk," WWE said in a statement. "Together, they formed what was arguably the most successful, popular and feared tandem of all time — The Road Warriors." Hawk, whose real name Michael Hegstrand died at the age of 46 back in 2003. Both were inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2011

"Animal wasn’t the only member of his family to earn fame in athletics," WWE stated. "His brothers John and Marcus both enjoyed careers in the ring, competing as Johnny Ace and The Terminator, respectively, with John eventually becoming a WWE producer. Animal’s son James Laurinaitis played eight seasons in the NFL before retiring in 2017." Here's a look at WWE fans reacting to the death of Road Warrior Animal.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:01 pm 

Tom Stiglich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:39 pm 

Max Merritt, singer who found fame with Slippin' Away, dies from Goodpasture syndrome
12:41, September the 25th, 2020.

youtube
Max Merritt has died aged 79.

*Australian music legend Max Merritt has died.

The 79-year-old, who was born in Christchurch, died in Los Angeles after being diagnosed with Goodpasture syndrome, a rare, serious auto-immune disease that attacks the lungs and kidneys.

Merritt is best known for his 1975 hit Slippin’ Away, with his band Max Merritt and The Meteors.

Merritt’s long time friend and manager, Wal Bishop, said Merritt had been on a dialysis machine three days a week since he fell ill in 2007.

“He really put up a great fight and will be sadly missed by all that knew and loved him,” Bishop said in a statement released on Friday, The Australian reported.

Merritt was born in Christchurch on April 30, 1941.

In the 60s, he moved to the UK before settling in LA in the ‘70s. He continued to tour Australia and New Zealand regularly until 2007.

Merritt is survived by his daughter Kelli, son Josh and three grandchildren.

Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... e-syndrome

*Ghost Note: Max Merritt was a New Zealander.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:44 pm 

Helen Reddy, the Australian singer behind feminist anthem I Am Woman, has died aged 78.
Reddy died on Tuesday in Los Angeles, her family said in a statement on Facebook.
Her children Traci Donat and Jordan Sommers described her as a "wonderful mother, grandmother, and a truly formidable woman".
"Our hearts are broken. But we take comfort in the knowledge that her voice will live on forever."
Reddy had a string of pop and rock hits in the 1970s, but is best known for the 1972 anthem I Am Woman - a rousing tune which became prominent in the women's liberation movement.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:36 am 

The one and only Quino, Argentinean cartoonist:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:54 am 

Mac Davis, Elvis songwriter and country star, dead at 78
By Toyin Owoseje, CNN

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/30/entertainment/mac-davis-dead-intl-scli/index.html
Updated 5:15 AM ET, Wed September 30, 2020

(CNN) Legendary country singer and songwriter Mac Davis has died at the age of 78.
Davis, who first found fame writing hits "A Little Less Conversation" and "In The Ghetto" for Elvis Presley, died following heart surgery, his manager, Jim Morey, said in a statement on Tuesday.

"He was surrounded by the love of his life and wife of 38 years, Lise, and his sons Scott, Noah and Cody," Morey wrote on Facebook.
Paying tribute to Davis, his manager described him as "a loving husband, father, grandfather and friend.

"I will miss laughing about our many adventures on the road and his insightful sense of humor.
When there was a tough decision to be made he often told me 'You decide.. I'm going to the golf course!'"

Morey ended his statement with lyrics from Davis' song "I Believe In Music."

News of Davis' death comes days after his family said he had become "critically ill" after undergoing heart surgery in Nashville.

Musician Richard Marx led the online tributes to Davis, tweeting: "This is such a drag. RIP to the incredible #MacDavis. Thank you for your incredible songs and your kindness to me. It was an honor to hear you tell me stories."

Davis -- born Morris Mac Davis -- made his debut as a country music artist with his 1970 album "Song Painter."

His breakthrough album "Baby, Don't Get Hooked On Me" was released two years later.

Davis, whose hits include "Stop and Smell the Roses" and "One Hell of a Woman," received worldwide recognition for his contribution to music and was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 1998.
He was inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2000 and the national Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2006.

In 2013, he topped Billboard's Dance Club Songs chart as co-writer on Avicii's "Addicted to You."

Along with his musical accomplishments, Davis enjoyed modest success as a television personality and actor. He hosted his own variety series "The Mac Davis Show" on NBC from 1974 to 1976 and also starred in TV movies "Beer For My Horses" and "Where The Fast Lane Ends."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:59 am 

Helen Reddy and Mac Davis died on the same day. Coincidence?

Perhaps... 8) :smoke: :P

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:56 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
The one and only Quino, Argentinean cartoonist:

THAT is really a SAD NEWS

Mafalda is a big part of my life and has been an eye opener for so many.
The pioneers are biting the dust. Thanks Quino for those 12 funny and inspiring books.

Mafalda will never see the day when mass stupidity is gone on Earth.
She'll never see Trump defeat.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:47 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:42 pm 

Dario Castillejos

Angel Boligan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:54 am 

Legendary pitcher Bob Gibson dies at 84

Baseball Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Gibson, known for his inspiring competitiveness and forceful determination, died Friday at the age of 84, St. Louis Cardinals confirmed to CNN.

Gibson announced last year he had pancreatic cancer.

"A standard setter on the mound your entire career and one of the most feared competitors to ever play the game of baseball," Hall of Fame first baseman Frank Thomas wrote of Gibson on Twitter.

The legendary pitcher, who played all 17 seasons of his career with the Cardinals, was a nine-time All-Star, Gold Glove winner and two-time World Series champion.

He was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1981, his first year of eligibility.

In 1968, Gibson won his first Cy Young and MVP awards after finishing the season with 22 wins, a major league record 1.12 ERA and 268 strikeouts. His dominant season in 1968 led MLB to lower the pitching mound the following year.

Gibson retired after the 1975 season as the Cardinals all-time leader in wins (251), strikeouts (3,117), shutouts (56), Games started (482) and complete games (255). The two-time Cy Young winner holds the record for most strikeouts in a World Series game (17) and in a World Series (35).

more here :arrow: https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/03/us/baseball-pitcher-bob-gibson-dies-spt-trnd/index.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:32 am 

Mark Pinske

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:49 pm 

RIP Mark Pinske

Lest We Forget

http://pinske.com/

https://fohonline.com/newsroom/news/in- ... 1949-2020/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:05 am 

Thinman wrote:
Mark Pinske

Gray_Ghost wrote:

RIP, thanks for the Zappa!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:33 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Mark Pinske

Gray_Ghost wrote:

RIP, thanks for the Zappa!

Frank Zappa The Mark Pinske Sound (Bootleg with songs featuring Mark Pinske as Sound Engineer)

00:00 Doreen (Crush All Boxes)
02:52 Fine Girl (Crush All Boxes)
06:26 Chunga's Revenge (1980-05-24 Rotterdam)
10:49 Pick Me I'm Clean (1980-05-24 Rotterdam)
17:13 Show Intro (1980-11-18 St Paul)
21:48 City Of Tiny Lights (1980-11-18 St Paul)
32:27 Love Of My Life (1980-11-18 St Paul)
34:45 Outside Now (1980-12-11 Santa Monica)
41:35 Easy Meat (Crush All Boxes)
50:08 Goblin Girl (Crush All Boxes)
54:35 Why Does It Hurt When I Pee (1980-06-17 London)

:cry:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:59 am 

Mr. Nice Guy wrote:
Legendary pitcher Bob Gibson dies at 84
John Darkow

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:52 am 

Eddie Van Halen
https://www.tmz.com/2020/10/06/eddie-van-halen-dead-dies-cancer-65/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:58 am 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:

This one is a HUGE loss.
He impressed Frank, he impressed Dweezil, he impressed the World.
:cry: :P

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:26 pm 

RIP Eddie :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:06 pm 

Johnny Nash, singer behind hit 'I Can See Clearly Now,' dies at 80

Houston singer and songwriter Johnny Nash has died at the age of 80.

The reggae and pop singer had reportedly been dealing with a decline in his health recently.

Nash is best known for his 1972 hit "I Can See Clearly Now." The record sold more than a million copies and reached No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in November of that year.

The singer was born in Houston and grew up in the historic Third Ward neighborhood. He was one of the first non-Jamaican singers to record reggae music in Kingston, Jamaica.

Nash and his son ran a recording studio in Houston called Nashco Music.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 304, 305, 306, 307, 308, 309  Next