Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:02 pm 

Alan Parker, RIP

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:40 pm 

Dave Granlund

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:52 pm 

Regis Philbin's cause of death has been revealed.

The TV legend, a household name during his ever-present, six-decade career on the small screen, died Friday of natural causes at 88.

I can't believe this one slipped by... :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:32 pm 

^^^^^ My only exposure to Regis was as a guest on Letterman, always a highlight..... ^^^^^

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:54 pm 

Plook wrote:

Don't believe it because it didn't :wink:

Gray_Ghost wrote:
RIP Regis Philbin
thank you for the laughs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:55 pm 

on August 1, 2020 cory1984 wrote:
on August 1, 2020 Plook wrote:
Don't believe it because it didn't :wink:
on July 25, 2020 Gray_Ghost wrote:
RIP Regis Philbin
thank you for the laughs
. . . and before that . . .
on July 25, 2020 coevad wrote:
Regis Philbin has passed at 88yo.

He was "out of control!" RIP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:42 pm 

Wilford Brimley, an actor and a Quaker Oats pitchman, dies at 85

(CNN) Wilford Brimley, the mustachioed actor who appeared on the big screen, television shows and Quaker Oats commercials, has died. He was 85.

Brimley died Saturday while hospitalized in St. George, Utah, his manager Lynda Bensky told CNN. He'd been at the ICU, where he was getting treatment for medical problems and was on dialysis.

"Wilford Brimley was a man you could trust. He said what he meant and he meant what he said," Bensky said. "He had a tough exterior and a tender heart. I'm sad that I will no longer get to hear my friend's wonderful stories. He was one of a kind."

His movie credits date to the 1970s and include "Cocoon," "The Natural" and "The Thing." He also starred in several television shows, including NBC's "Our House" as a gruff widower who asks his daughter-in-law and her children to live with him.

"RIP Wilford Brimley -- so many great performances, but I'll never forget seeing him sing this surprisingly tender 'It's Not Easy Being Green,'" Stephen Colbert said.

Brimley is survived by his wife, Beverly, and three sons.

Filmography :arrow: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000979/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:28 pm 

^^ He was a great actor and human being.
I love his performance in John Carpenter's The Thing. RIP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:34 pm 

Pete Hamill, Acclaimed Reporter and Novelist, Dead at 85

A titan of New York City journalism, he also profiled John Lennon for Rolling Stone, wrote Grammy-winning liner notes for Bob Dylan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:27 pm 

Bill Bramhall

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:14 pm 

Country singer Cady Groves, 30, died from 'chronic alcohol abuse'
Ariel Zilber For Dailymail.com and Rebecca Davison for Mail Online
9 hours ago

© Provided by Daily Mail

Sad loss: Country singer Cady Groves, 30, died on May 2 at her home in Nashville, Tennessee. The medical examiner said she suffered from chronic alcohol abuse. She is pictured in 2012

Cady Groves, the 30-year-old country music star whose body was discovered by her roommate in her Nashville, Tennessee, home this past May, died of chronic alcohol abuse, according to a coroner.

The Davidson County Office of the Medical Examiner’s report listed ‘chronic ethanol abuse’ as the cause of death.

Groves also suffered from cirrhosis and ‘severe chronic pancreatitis,’ according to The Sun.

The singer-songwriter was found unresponsive in bed by her roommate on May 2.

Authorities said there were signs of alcohol use at the scene.

The coroner’s report states that she had a blood alcohol content of .01 at the time of her death, which is considered a small amount.

Before her death, the 'This Little Girl' singer had previously lost two of her brothers to prescription overdoses.

Announcing news of her death on Twitter, the singer's brother Cody Groves revealed she had suffered undisclosed medical issues in the fall that may have resurfaced.

'The medical examiner has completed autopsy and there was no indication of foul play or self harm. Simply put, Cady Groves died of natural causes,' he tweeted.

'She had some medical problems last fall and our best guess at this point until further testing is complete is that they had resurfaced.'

In his emotional tribute, Cody said his little sister had been looking forward to the coming months and the release of her new album.

'Our latest in depth conversation (since most were witty banter) was her sending me songs to critique and give feedback on,' he said.

Her team said Groves, who had previously toured with the likes of Good Charlotte, had spent the past year working on material and had recently signed with the Thirty Tigers label.

'Those closest to Cady want people to know she loved music, laughter, cooking, tacos and, especially, her family,' the team said in a statement.

'As her admirers mourn her loss online, Cady’s family requests fans refrain from speculation.

'Cady was excited about her new recordings and getting out on the road to support them.'

Her team are hoping to release her upcoming EP, which had been working to release this summer, will be made available soon.

In her final social media posts, Groves had written about battling with her mental health amid the coronavirus pandemic.

'Week..6? Haven't left my house but about 3 times and that was just to drive around in my car so I wouldn't go insane,' she wrote in an April 16 Instagram post.

'I don't have a television, so I've had to REALLY just be alone with myself and my thoughts and fears and anxiety in my bedroom without anybody here in Nashville.

'Some days my mental health is AWFUL. I feel completely alone and scared and far from everyone I love and all I can do is keep myself busy and push through.

'Some days are better. I know that the way I feel isn't special because we are ALL living through this separately, but together.

'It's okay to be scared and to have days where you just cry and wear your hair in a bun and don't change out of your pajamas. But it's also okay to take it day by day-like I did today-and have hope. My heart is with you all. ❤️'

Her brother said in an initial Twitter post, that the family had limited details on his sister's deaths but later clarified the circumstances to dispel rumors.

He said in the first post that he hoped Groves would be reunited with their two brothers Casey and Kelly, who died in 2007 and 2014 respectively.

Both brothers were aged 28 at the time of their deaths and both were linked to prescription drug overdoses, according to The Oklahoman. Groves had revealed in a previous interview that she believed Casey had been murdered.

The Nashville musician, who was most famous for her hit, This Little Girl, had herself paid tribute to their brother Kelly just a month ago on Instagram after he died six years earlier.

She had posted a picture of them together back in March, saying: 'This starts feeling redundant at this point now. But dammit Kel you were just so great. And losing you 6 years ago about killed me in every single way.

'Then I made it what I live for. And I've dreamt of you every single day for the past week and at one point I felt your presence so much that I woke up at 4am and shyly said 'kelly.' and then everything got cold in the room and I felt a breeze over me but I wasn't scared.

'Cause it was the closest I felt to my best friend in a long time. Love you big bro. 6 years ago today...you really broke my heart at the right time. Thank you for all the laughs.'

Addressing the deaths of her brothers, Groves once said in a 2015 interview with Arena: 'One of my brothers was murdered six years ago, and my life stopped when that happened, and I spent five years of my life becoming a terrible person, not to other people, but to myself.

'I didn't love me anymore, and I was just so sad. My other brother just died about a month ago, and when he died, it's so weird to say this, but it brought me back to life.

'When my first brother died it killed me, and then when (my second brother) died it brought me back to life because at his funeral all his friends were telling all these crazy stories about how he was like the funniest person they ever met in their entire life.

'I got jealous while I was sitting at the funeral just broken down, because he was my best friend on the whole planet, everyone knew it, and I was just sitting there crying, thinking wow, I want to be that person for other people.'

Groves' music career kicked off more than a decade ago with the 2009 release of her EP 'A Month of Sundays'.

She went on to release three additional EPs including The Life of a Pirate in 2010, This Little Girl in 2012 and Dreams in 2015.

'Groves' high spirits and winning stage presence made her a crowd favorite from the very beginning,' a statement from her team read.

'As part of the Bamboozle Roadshow, she toured with Boys Like Girls, LMFAO, Good Charlotte and Third Eye Blind and was continuing to play shows for fans in Nashville as she made the transition to Country.'

'She has worked with a diverse array of creatives, including late producer/writer busbee, Americana legend Jim Lauderdale, Savan Kotecha, Kristian Lundin and Carl Falk, as well as recording projects for The Ready Set and Plug in Stereo.'

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment ... id=BHEA000

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:34 am 

Martin Birch RIP

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:56 pm 

RIP, black knight

He crafted some important albums for my formative years in music...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:01 am 

R.I.P. Martin Birch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:13 pm 

cleon wrote:
Martin Birch RIP
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
RIP, black knight

He crafted some important albums for my formative years in music...
Gray_Ghost wrote:
R.I.P. Martin Birch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:56 pm 

RIP Kamala
1950-2020

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:03 pm 

Classical guitarist Julian Bream

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:05 pm 

R I P - Pete Way bassist for UFO.

Iconic bass player Pete Way founder of UFO, Waysted, Fastway and, most recently, The Pete Way Band has died. He was 69.

A statement on Way; Facebook page reads:

“He sustained life threatening injuries in an accident two months ago but fought hard until finally succumbing to those injuries at 11.35am BST today. His wife, Jenny, was at his side.

Pete Way was a much loved and highly regarded figure among rock fans, critics and fellow musicians alike. Best known for his work with UFO, Pete’s energetic live performances were at the heart of the band’s countless world tours.

His melodic bass lines underpinned the catalogue of enduring rock classics upon which UFO’s reputation and legacy were founded. Pete’s post UFO work included collaborating with “Fast” Eddie Clarke from Motörhead – the two putting together Fastway with Humble Pie drummer Jerry Shirley and bassist for his long time friend, Ozzy Osbourne.

He then put together his own band Waysted.

Pete’s keen ear for song arrangements have also seen him serve as producer for popular hard rock acts such as Twisted Sister and the Cockney Rejects. Pete had recently finished a solo album, ‘Walking On The Edge’ with producer Mike Clink (Guns n Roses “Appetite For Destruction” amongst many more.)

He had a biography published ‘A Fast Ride Out Of Here’ in 2017 and an album ‘Amphetamine’ which is currently out on Cargo Records.

Pete is survived by two daughters, Zowie and Charlotte and his younger brother, Neill.”

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:17 pm 

coevad wrote:
R I P - Pete Way bassist for UFO.

Iconic bass player Pete Way founder of UFO, Waysted, Fastway and, most recently, The Pete Way Band has died. He was 69.

A statement on Way; Facebook page reads:

“He sustained life threatening injuries in an accident two months ago but fought hard until finally succumbing to those injuries at 11.35am BST today. His wife, Jenny, was at his side.

Pete Way was a much loved and highly regarded figure among rock fans, critics and fellow musicians alike. Best known for his work with UFO, Pete’s energetic live performances were at the heart of the band’s countless world tours.

His melodic bass lines underpinned the catalogue of enduring rock classics upon which UFO’s reputation and legacy were founded. Pete’s post UFO work included collaborating with “Fast” Eddie Clarke from Motörhead – the two putting together Fastway with Humble Pie drummer Jerry Shirley and bassist for his long time friend, Ozzy Osbourne.

He then put together his own band Waysted.

Pete’s keen ear for song arrangements have also seen him serve as producer for popular hard rock acts such as Twisted Sister and the Cockney Rejects. Pete had recently finished a solo album, ‘Walking On The Edge’ with producer Mike Clink (Guns n Roses “Appetite For Destruction” amongst many more.)

He had a biography published ‘A Fast Ride Out Of Here’ in 2017 and an album ‘Amphetamine’ which is currently out on Cargo Records.

Pete is survived by two daughters, Zowie and Charlotte and his younger brother, Neill.”

I saw UFO a couple of times at the Golden West Ballroom in the mid 70's (I am guessing 75, 76, or 77) they definitely had the crowd rocking... :!:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:02 pm 

RIP Pete Way :(

Someone loaned me A Fast Ride Out Of Here a couple of years back,
great read.....

Last edited by Gray_Ghost on Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:04 pm 

@ Plook

1978 & '79 for me. No Schenker in '79 so I didn't care cause we were there to see Van Halen.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:34 pm 

coevad wrote:
@ Plook

1978 & '79 for me. No Schenker in '79 so I didn't care cause we were there to see Van Halen.

We saw the Van Halen shows also, we would work the weddings as servers (in a tux) on Saturday and we would get a free ticket to who ever was playing that night, saw a lot of shows that way.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:43 pm 

We're very sorry to hear that the legendary bass player Pete Way has died. Having played in UFO for more than 30 years, Pete also had stints with Ozzy Osbourne and formed the bands Waysted and Fastway. UFO opened for Rush on many dates of the A Farewell To Kings Tour as well as a few of dates on the Hemispheres Tour. Fastway also supported Rush on the Grace Under Pressure Tour. As a result, Rush and Pete became good friends.
Geddy recalls the A Farewell to Kings Tour : "I do remember him falling off the stage on two occasions on that tour. The second time the three of us in Rush were sat talking in our dressing room and Pete’s bass just vanished from the stage. It was like, "Uh-oh, Pete's gone over the edge again." But everybody partied back then; we were all of us younger and making the most of our opportunity to be out on the road.
That tour was my introduction to UFO and their music. They were all very friendly, but you couldn't help but notice that they would all be in their cups, shall we say, and before every show. They would pound a few drinks and then hit the stage flying. That was their thing. I recall us doing one show in a dry county in Texas, which meant there was no alcohol allowed the building. We were backstage and I’d hear the UFO guys bitching and moaning about not having any booze. I looked out of our dressing room window into the car park, and there they were all in their stage gear, brown bagging it out of the boot of their car. Hey, necessity is the mother of adventure.
They were also always insulting each other for the sake of humour. That soon extended to us, which I took to be a good sign and a compliment. We used to play the song Xanadu at the time, and yes, all kinds of dry ice would come on stage. Pete and Phil Mogg would stand at the side of the stage and yell things about honeydew and melons at us, because one of the lines in the song goes "I have dined on honeydew". On one occasion, they even snuck up on stage and nailed a pair of slippers beside my foot pedals. There the slippers were when the dry ice dissipated, I guess to go along with my kimono.
Pete and I spent a lot of time together on the tour and I enjoyed his company a lot. He was, of course, a very different kind of musician to me. He was this guy in skin-tight pants with his shag haircut and playing his big Thunderbird bass. He had a typical Thunderbird sound, too, with a really heavy bottom end. He described it to me once as "three-quarters nice, one quarter not very nice".
Whenever Pete's name comes up between the three of us today we all smile. He was a lot of fun to be around, but also very sweet. He truly was a wouldn't-hurt-a-fly kind of guy and dedicated to his music. And he was very rock and roll. I was on our tour bus one time and listening to the new Bill Bruford solo album, which had just then come out. There was a great bass player on that record named named Jeff Berlin, and it was pretty complex sort of jazz-rock. Pete came stumbling around the bus and was just appalled at the sound of it. He sat down beside me and said, as if in profound pain, "Glee", which he used to call me, "don't listen to this, it isn't rock and roll." You know, Pete's a rocker at heart and he's remained true to that from the music that he's played to the way he's lived his life."
Rock in Peace Pete.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:01 pm 

Robert Trump, the younger brother of President Donald Trump, dead at age 71

During a White House briefing on Friday, Trump declined to provide reporters with details on his brother's illness.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:31 am 

The father of a 5-year-old boy killed in North Carolina says the suspect was a neighbor for eight years

Gary McCoy

The grieving father of a 5-year-old boy killed in North Carolina said the suspect has lived next door for eight years and he shared dinner with him a day before the shooting.

Cannon Hinnant was riding his bike outside his father's home in Wilson on Sunday when a man walked up to him and shot him in the head, witnesses told police.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7658 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 302, 303, 304, 305, 306, 307  Next