Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 1:29 am 

I did this over at Zappateers a while back. I'm interested to see what internet speeds people are getting around the world to compare them with our joke of a national broadband network which has been totally compromised by the Liberals slash corporate reactionaries (they're really not Liberals, the source of their name just dates back to the mid nineteenth century when they were real liberals relative to the politics of the time).

I'm particularly interested to hear about the national network in New Zealand, so I hope you chime in, Grey Ghost.

We're currently on ADSL2+, which gives 8 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up. NBN has arrived in our street, but we're awaiting a fault in the new equipment in the street to be fixed. It's called Fibre To The Curb and we're on their premium plan, 100/40 (Mbps down and up), with typical evening download speeds of 83Mbps. That's certainly better than what we've got now.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 4:47 am 

polydigm wrote:
We're currently on ADSL2+, which gives 8 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.

I'm (shamefully) on this level right now (not to mention that is is very likely much more expensive here than there or anywhere). I hope to upgrade next week while I move into a new place. I will be served 100 Mpbs DL, maybe half or 10% UL speed for roughly the same buck, and now optic fiber based...

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 11:00 am 

A speed test shows that we're getting 63.60 mbps down, and 34.43 mbps up. We're paying for a 100mbps plan.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 8:39 pm 

Back before ADSL2+ we were told we could expect up to 10 Mbps download, depending on how close we were to the nearest exchange. Most people did not get more than 5 Mbps down. Then ADSL2+ came along and we were told up to 20 Mbps download, again, depending on proximity to the exchange. We've got ADSL2+ with around 8 Mbps down. We're still getting barely what the previous system promised, but none the less paying for the new one.

It's all bullshit. Charges should be based on what you actually get, not on the theoretical possibilities. These limitations are limitations of the infrastructure and services should not be sold for more than they're actually worth.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 4:40 am 

polydigm wrote:
It's all bullshit. Charges should be based on what you actually get, not on the theoretical possibilities. These limitations are limitations of the infrastructure and services should not be sold for more than they're actually worth.

I'll drink to that....

Somewhere I heard Internet is price gouged in the US, that other countries pay a lot less. I don't know if it's true or not, but I get 7 Mb/s up, and 1Mb/s down.

My cable bill was approaching $180 USD/month a couple of years ago for 200 channels, 190 of them utter garbage and propaganda "news" shows... so I cut the cable.

I asked for just internet, but they said 12 channels have to come with Internet minimum, so I'm now at minimum price of $70/ month for Internet, modem, fees and taxes.

So $70 divided by 7Mb/second is about $10 USD per Mb.

How does that compare to prices in other countries?

For me, 7Mb/second is fast enough, my Internet TV plays fine :)

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 7:22 am 

:mrgreen:
We don't bother with cable, I threw an antenna out on the porch and can pull in 20+ channels. We pay around $30 a month for internet only through Xfinity (Comcast). You guys might try letting your current contract run out and then come in as a new customer. There always seems to be better deals for new incoming customers than the old loyal ones, go figure.

Post subject: Re: internet speeds
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 1:23 pm 

download: 98.47 mbps. upload: 4.73 mbps.

we gave up on cable about three monts ago. we are paying our provider $90/month for internet and landline phone service.

and, $12.99/month each for amazon prime and netflix.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:21 pm 

I'm assuming you guys have chosen such low uploads because your main focus is on download. My wife and I both use cloud services heavily so we need a good upload rate. The current, on average, less than 1 Mbps is maddening. We're looking forward to the 40 Mbps up when they finally get it into our house. I've got 20 GB a month on my mobile phone, so sometimes I just have to hot spot my phone after an intense recording session, to get everything synced on line in a reasonable time. That's irony for you. That's a measure of how backward this country is. My phone, a tiny wi-fi device, gives me way better internet speeds than the hard wired internet direct to the telephone exchange.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 11:26 pm 

Orange France fibre promises 200 mb down/100 mb up. On speed test I get 50 mb down/50 mb up because i'm connected via wifi (AC).

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 4:21 am 

polydigm wrote:
I'm assuming you guys have chosen such low uploads because your main focus is on download.

You would be correct in your assumption. I store everything I want to keep on physical hard drives.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 11:43 am 

I use Comcast/Xfinity and pay a hefty fee for a service called Burst (or at least that is what it was called when I got it several years ago) I needed to be able to hit live systems while working at home, my Speed Test shows

187.5 down and 18.1 up - Corrected

Note: I used to pay for the next service down and they would tend to reduce it at times, I spoke with someone in my area that was on the same service and he explained at different times during the day they would reduce the speed, I checked and he was right, when I complained they said the only way to get a guaranteed speed was to pay for this service... :evil:

Last edited by Plook on Tue May 12, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:41 am 

Down = 54.4
Up = 10.3
Paying Virgin media £24 per month for landline and internet .

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:02 pm 

I've got an NBN technician coming around today to check my end and check the box in the street. I know my end is not faulty, because I wired it myself and it has been working fine ever since and still is with my current service. I rewired everything twelve years ago when we bought this place, because when we got our internet connected, it was performing way below what was expected for our location and was constantly dropping out.

There was a ridiculous rats nest of wiring throughout the house to various wall plugs, so I gutted the lot and started a new network from the connection straight in from the street up in the loft. That way I was able to bring it straight into a global ADSL splitter and separate the whole house telephone network at the source and get an unadulterated internet connection over the shortest possible wire length. After that, we got significantly improved internet, but continued to have problems periodically, which always turned out to be in the box out front, or the nearest node or in the exchange.

@ tinkamok That sounds like a pretty good deal for the price. I'm assuming those speeds are a speed test you've carried out, so what are the theoretical speeds on your plan?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:53 pm 

Internet was set in my new place today and I got around 50 mbps DL and around 40 mbps UL.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 5:35 pm 

Okay Mr GG, you often point out how much worse things are in Brazil than in other "Western" nations. I'm not challenging that of course - I read media produced by alternatives to Murdoch and cronies like him and I trust what you say - but your new internet speed is pretty good - is that typical for much of Brazil or just your area?

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:36 pm 

It is very heterogeneous. I asked the cable guy and he said they serve around 80% of the city population (around 100 k) with fiber or radio internet. But speeds here are usually dire and prices can be a nightmare...

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 6:35 am 

The NBN guy came this afternoon and tested my end, which was fine and then discovered the fibre in the street was faulty. Well, another NBN guy had already concluded that two weeks ago, when he came out for a neighbour connected to the same box in the street. What a comedy. So when is it going to get fixed?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 7:32 am 

Flakes, flakes
They don't do no good
They never be workin' when they oughta should
They waste your time
They're wastin' mine

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 11:40 am 

polydigm wrote:
I've got an NBN technician coming around today to check my end and check the box in the street. I know my end is not faulty, because I wired it myself and it has been working fine ever since and still is with my current service. I rewired everything twelve years ago when we bought this place, because when we got our internet connected, it was performing way below what was expected for our location and was constantly dropping out.

There was a ridiculous rats nest of wiring throughout the house to various wall plugs, so I gutted the lot and started a new network from the connection straight in from the street up in the loft. That way I was able to bring it straight into a global ADSL splitter and separate the whole house telephone network at the source and get an unadulterated internet connection over the shortest possible wire length. After that, we got significantly improved internet, but continued to have problems periodically, which always turned out to be in the box out front, or the nearest node or in the exchange.

@ tinkamok That sounds like a pretty good deal for the price. I'm assuming those speeds are a speed test you've carried out, so what are the theoretical speeds on your plan?

Yes this is a speed test and the price of the deal will rise soon to £27pm and next year will rise again and that is when i go fishing for a better deal .
The theoretical download speed is 100

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:13 am 

My cable bill for one month of 7Mb/sec down, and 5 useful networks (PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX), and about 20 bullshit channels, (shopping, religion, etc.).

They sort of advertised $39/month, which you can see in the bill, but it's really $68/month because of $28 hidden fees.

I could eliminate $7.99 if I bought my own modem for $80, (shifting function responsibility to me).

I could change to someone like Comcast/XFinity for their "$49 introductory offer" plus their other fees for 100Mb/sec, but then it would go up to $89 /month after a year, committing me to have to start changing every year to stay in introductory offers.

They all offer introductory rates, that change to standard rates after a year.

And then of course everyone's standard rates go up every year, so you'll never get back to your oldest one.

Therefore I keep this locked in standard rate of so-called $39/month which is locked in forever. This way I don't have to chase introductory offers because everyone's standard rate is going up every year, (for example, Comcast's standard rate around here is $89 per month, and they have extra fees and taxes for things).

So my bill of $68 for 7Mb/sec* is $10 USD per Mb, coastal CT is expensive.

To compare tinkamock's 54Mb for 24 Pound, is $29USD, 29/54 = 0.54 USD per Mb.

cory1984 has an unbelievable deal on Comcast/Xfinity in Oregon which is unheard of around here (see above Comcast/Xfinity link), which at 117Mb down for $30 USD is "faster than 80% of the US," and only 30/117 = 0.26 USD per Mb....lets move to Oregon. :)

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
It is very heterogeneous. I asked the cable guy and he said they serve around 80% of the city population (around 100 k) with fiber or radio internet. But speeds here are usually dire and prices can be a nightmare...
How much is your Internet, in your currency or USD Mr_Green_Genes?

What's everybody paying is a good question.

*For me, 7MB down is fine for my TV's and I don't do anything fancy. The biggest delays I see is for the services, like my ISP's DNS looking for IP's, especially multiple look-ups for heavily advertised pages, and waiting for those servers to respond, but these DNS lookups wouldn't speed up even if I changed to 100Mb/sec.

Maybe I've got something to learn here, how is 50 or 100Mb/sec helping? Multiple people on TV/streaming music/gaming?

The only time I want faster is about once every 5 years when something happens to my znakomi.com server and I have to resync my 10GB web site...but that's infrequent so not much of a problem.

Last edited by baddy on Sat May 16, 2020 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2020 10:14 am 

baddy wrote:
cory1984 has an unbelievable deal on Comcast/Xfinity in Oregon which is unheard of around here (see above Comcast/Xfinity link), which at 117Mb down for $30 USD is "faster than 80% of the US," and only 30/117 = 0.26 USD per Mb....lets move to Oregon. :)

I think this might have something to do with my location. I'm right in the downtown area and we're only pay for 100mb service. Somehow we're usually around 120mb dl. The building we're in is also somewhat new, so good wiring may also come into play. Guess we got lucky for once! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:45 pm 

I forgot to come back and say we've finally got our NBN connection up and running. We're getting around 95/30 Mbps. So far so good, it's been performing very well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:42 pm 

Our phone/internet provider has finally installed ultra high speed fibre into the neighborhood,
I'm still on copper. My cable provider lost the rights to broadcast Formula One to a subsidiary
of my phone/internet provider, no problem until my first phone bill. It turned out that steaming
the races blew the lid off my data cap costing around $20.00 extra a Month
on top of the $19.99 a Month to access the streaming service. I attempted to increase my
data allowance, however surprise surprise surprise that option was no longer available on my
existing (copper) plan, forcing me to take a Monthly $20.00 hit or move to fibre. I have booked
the fibre man three times, taken time off work three times and three times the fibre man has
failed to arrive.

It's another five hours of muzak to get the polite runaround from John at a call centre
in Mumbai, or change my provider.....

me and my first world problems :lol: