Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:45 pm 

Joe Heller

Bruce Plante

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:43 am 

baddy wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
it's back too the workplace for me, .....

How was it going back?

Here, they've said on the news recently that 1 : 4 New Yorkers are showing positive on the antibodies tests.

They also cautioned the antibody tests are still new.

Since the average spread of SARS-CoV-2 is about 1 to 3 people, then even if NY was at 1 : 2 with antibodies (one more cycle), the spread would still be above 1 (1.5), meaning the virus will still spread.

More people are still getting sick in NY, so the 1 : 4 rate is still dropping.

Here in 3.5 million Connecticut, we're going to cross 2000 tragedies tonight; it was 1924 this morning. I think that might mean about 1 : 17 have or have had it, which would make sense as that's 2 cycles (10 days), behind NY's 1 : 4, and they're saying Connecticut is a week or two behind New York. I'm on the end farthest end from New York, so we're ~ 3 weeks behind.

Here in the US at 56, 581 deaths, we're approaching the 80, 000 lost to H1N1, but SARS-CoV-2 did it quick.

It was awesome to see and talk to a fresh set of faces for the first time in over a month,
after we got through a few of our respective lockdown war stories, we had a health and
safety meeting, with the majority of the dumb f#@ks immediately forgetting the social
distancing rules. The meeting raised more questions than answers and got a little heated.

I duct taped a 3 metre circle on the floor around my workstation and loudly abused anybody
that attempted to breach the circle, then conveniently blamed my isolation for my politically
incorrect language :lol: It'll take a day or two to get back into the swing of things and re-hone
my social skills :lol:

As an indictment on home cooking, McDonalds and KFC reopened today providing a drive through "contactless" service only.....
Fast food addicts abandoned their cars in the queue(s) the night before,
returning at opening time this morning to get their burger/chicken and fries fix.....
Unbelievably there were traffic jams reported throughout the day, that required police
intervention, caused by the number folks trying to access these drive throughs.....

Day one was exhausting, I missed the midmorning naps, the midafternoon naps, and the
quality breakfasts brunches and lunches of the past month.....
Having to resume wearing clothes and shoes was also a drag.....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:19 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
It was awesome to see and talk to a fresh set of faces for the first time in over a month,
after we got through a few of our respective lockdown war stories, we had a health and
safety meeting, with the majority of the dumb f#@ks immediately forgetting the social
distancing rules. The meeting raised more questions than answers and got a little heated.

I duct taped a 3 metre circle on the floor around my workstation and loudly abused anybody
that attempted to breach the circle, then conveniently blamed my isolation for my politically
incorrect language :lol: It'll take a day or two to get back into the swing of things and re-hone
my social skills :lol:

As an indictment on home cooking, McDonalds and KFC reopened today providing a drive through "contactless" service only.....
Fast food addicts abandoned their cars in the queue(s) the night before,
returning at opening time this morning to get their burger/chicken and fries fix.....
Unbelievably there were traffic jams reported throughout the day, that required police
intervention, caused by the number folks trying to access these drive throughs.....

Day one was exhausting, I missed the midmorning naps, the midafternoon naps, and the
quality breakfasts brunches and lunches of the past month.....
Having to resume wearing clothes and shoes was also a drag.....

PBS News Hour did a piece on NZ tonight saying the virus was eradicated; I'm guessing that's not in the literal sense.

Are you guys planning on keeping it off the island (level 3), until vaccine?

It was fun seein' you guys drivin' on the wrong side of the road and talkin' with a funny accent :)

Most of us are still voluntarily locked down here in Connecticut, and much is closed. I'm going out Monday to replace a write head (the thing shootin out the IR in the top of this animation). I've been working remote support for 6 weeks, but this replacement is not great to try to talk an operator through on the phone...I'd rather not go cuz it's so thick out there right now (1 : 4 have antibodies), and if I said no, my boss would be cool, but they're a good customer they help me all the time and they're on essentials and 10% staff with half working every-other day, so I'll go help them. If I'm goin, It'll be good to get the fuck out of here! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:48 am 

Oguz Gurel

Oguz Gurel is a cartoonist working in Istanbul, Turkey.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:03 am 

We're back to school with a vengeance next week. I've got to teach 6 hours on Monday and 6 on Wednesday with the 11th class; the classes take place in the school café, the pupils masked and placed at 1 metre 50 intervals. Be fun to see if I've got any media technology at my disposal, or not. Have to plan that it's not there, really. A-level envigilation on Tuesday and Thursday. Online lessons continue...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:13 am 

Caputh keep us posted

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:19 am 

Good luck lad's, and let's be careful out there.....

Locally, since the lowering of the alert level some people have gone crazy
and started travelling about willy nilly. Folks have been having party's,
and the police hot line has had an increase in calls reporting lockdown breaches.

According to one "shock jock" we've become a nation of narcs.....

If we get a rise in cases through this behavior, the powers that be have threatened
to move the alert level back to four, with a return to total lockdown.....

The government is saying that all of our Covid-19 cases have now been traced back
to 35 individuals entering the country prior to the boarder restrictions.....

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:32 pm 

This is not going to end well.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 4:52 pm 

Here, hell is right around the corner, I am afraid...

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:16 pm 

Doing great. :mrgreen:

Solipsism Facebook
Solipsism Spotify

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:26 pm 

cozylittlefooties wrote:
This is not going to end well.

It never does. Just ask Frank...

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 1:07 pm 

Recently from Genevieve Artadis homeoffice: Genevieve Artadi - "Watch For The View" and "The Way I Feel Inside" [live in zee living room]

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:15 pm 

Hundreds demonstrate in Oregon governor's against stay-at-home order
by The Associated PressSunday, May 3rd 2020

https://kval.com/news/local/hundreds-demonstrate-in-oregon-governors-against-stay-at-home-order

SALEM, Ore. (AP) — Hundreds of people opposed to Oregon's stay-at-home order demonstrated at the state Capitol on Saturday as health officials announced dozens more cases and five additional deaths from COVID-19.

Most of the protesters did not wear face masks, but they waved American flags and Trump campaign signs in the rain. Other signs read "Reopen Oregon" and "Let me earn a living."

A group of healthcare workers demonstrated at the top of the Capitol steps, urging a phased plan to ease the state's social distancing requirements. Most of the other protesters ignored them.

Public health officials say stay-at-home orders are essential for slowing the transmission of the novel coronavirus. But protest organizers told The Oregonian/OregonLive that they view the social distancing mandates issued by Gov. Kate Brown as government overreach.

Since mid-March, Brown's orders have closed many businesses, put some parks and campgrounds off limits, and required public schools to adopt distance learning programs.

"You can't just place citizens under house arrest and enforce those orders," event organizer Adam Ellifritt said.

Nods to conspiracy theories and fringe websites peppered the crowd, with one attendee accusing the U.S. government and *SPAM* companies of preparing a "mass vaccination campaign."

Though governors generally have broad powers during declared emergencies, speakers claimed Brown lacked the authority to issue orders she laid out in mid-March banning groups of 25 or more from gathering if they could not keep six feet apart at all times and, later, shuttering public schools across the state.

Oregon Health Authority officials reported 57 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, bringing the state's total to 2,635, with five additional deaths, bringing the total toll to 109.

The new deaths were a 64-year-old man from Polk County, two men ages 70 and 75 from Multnomah County, a 91-year-old woman from Marion County and a 76-year-old woman from Umatilla County. Each had underlying medical conditions.

For most people, the coronavirus causes mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough, that clear up in two to three weeks. But it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia, for some people, especially older adults and people with existing health problems.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 2:45 pm 

I guess they're all voting Trump.
Let'em catch it. . .
:smoke:

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:06 pm 

Very limited control here. Parks and such have signs for you to wear a facemask but nobody does except the busiest bike hike trails. And in stores.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:11 pm 

Eight arrests after partying gangsters breach lockdown restrictions
Blair Ensor
12:57, May 02 2020

Police were called to concerns about a gathering at a Mongrel Mob linked property in Christchurch on Friday night.

Partying gangsters who flouted coronavirus restrictions have been arrested.

A member of the public alerted police to a gathering at a property in Kowhai Terrace, Christchurch, about 8.15pm on Friday.

Senior Sergeant Paul Robertson said that when officers arrived they found "a party in progress" — a breach of level 3 Covid-19 restrictions if those involved are not in the same bubble.

Eight people — men and women — were arrested for obstructing a medical officer of health and spent the night in custody.

They were released on bail on Saturday morning. It was unclear when they would appear in court.

THE-PRESS
The Mongrel Mob has historically had a strong presence in Christchurch.
Stuff understands the Kowhai Terrace party house, which is in the suburb of St Martins, has links to the Mongrel Mob, but police would not confirm this. Those arrested were patched members and associates of the gang.

Robertson said there were several other parties reported to the police on Friday night. Those that officers couldn't attend would be followed up.

He urged people considering throwing a party on Saturday night to "show a bit of patience" and hold off until restrictions eased.

Those who breached the rules could expect a visit from police.

A police spokesman said that anecdotally in other parts of the country it was a "reasonably uneventful night in terms of significant gatherings".

"When police did attend any gatherings ... they educated those holding the gatherings on alert level 3 restrictions and there were no further issues."

Friday night's arrests came just hours after Finance Minister Grant Robertson sent a stern message to anyone considering hosting or attending a party in alert level 3.

"We know that events where there have been gatherings, such as parties, have been at the root of a number of our clusters. The virus has proven it will spread easily at events like this. Any uptick in cases as a result of parties will mean that we will have to stay in level 3 longer.

"So please, don't be an idiot, stick to your bubble and everyone will be better off."

Since the country entered level 3 this week, there have been more than 2100 reports of people breaking the rules.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/ ... strictions

Today a spokesperson for "the gang" said they had been delivering "supplies" to the needy
and one thing led to another bro.....

it's rumored that the supplies included weed, meth and booze.....
which was all gone by the time the police made their appearance.....

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 5:38 pm 

Peter Kuper

Angel Boligan

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:59 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:47 am 

^^^^ :mrgreen: ^^^^

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:45 am 

Two days back at school. First day was 3 lessons teaching my own course in the (fairly large) cafeteria. Pupils all at different tables, making group work unfeasible. New computers with no internet connection (great!), a blackboard instead of a whiteboard (I hadn't thought to bring chalk, as we haven't needed it for the last 5 years). All the same, lessons were a success - pupils pleased to be working again, even with a masked teacher. Problem during a 15 minute break (where I had to stay in the room), as they obviously wanted to talk to each other after 7 week s of lockdown, but a little gentle pressure kept them apart - understandable from their POV; they're not in danger - I am. 3 further lessons with a colleague's course. She's the same age as me, but has arthritis and is thus 'endangered'. They were sweet, too - just happy to return to education, really. Envigilation for A levels today - 4 pupils to a room. Couldn't quite work out why it was OK to teach 22 pupils in one room on Monday (apparently it wasn't - which is why I'm teaching in the school's assembly room tomorrow) and enviligate a maximum of 4 today. Still, that's Germany - the rules are Kafkaesque, but can be questioned

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:35 pm 

Dave Whamond

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:14 am 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180974671/
Free art classes from MOMA!!

And I'm learning how to drive a forklift. :D

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:51 am 

BBP wrote:
I'm learning how to drive a forklift. :D
Be careful out there, Bonny . . .

. . . things could get hairy . . .

. . . and remember to take a break every once in a while. 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 10:01 am 

Home Office - Fabio Wibmer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:15 pm 

ursinator wrote:

Are you shitting me? It went right in the fucken bucket! :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 238 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next