Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 465, 466, 467, 468, 469  Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:40 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
I fell much better.....

OK PLOOK, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH GRAY_GHOST!?!?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:51 am 

lapsed maps wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
I fell much better.....

OK PLOOK, WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH GRAY_GHOST!?!?

He buyed a subscribtion to Plooks Acadamy of Spellen, Gramer, an Punchuation... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:04 pm 

I just attended a virtual class on COVID related RNA extraction for further testing...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:10 pm 

^^^^^ Interesting! ^^^^^

Did you learn something?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:45 pm 

Oh yes! Among other things I learned the lab I run might need lots of adaptations to be up to the safety level required to test for the virus. To be fair, it is organized by a big biotech company who sells kits and reagents for molecular biology work. It was surprisingly in Portuguese by a Brazilian to a Brazilian audience and there were plenty of useful technical hints. On a separate note I got a quotation for a qPCR equipment and almost fell off my chair. The dollar is in a historical high mark here now, but still... something around U$ 50.000,00. I can find open models for as low as U$ 15.000 online in the US (importing is a major hassle here)...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:26 pm 

Damn! you would think governments would put politics aside and throw money
at the problem, pull out all the stops in an effort to fight this virus and the next
and the next.....

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:34 am 

Harvested the largest Lion's Mane mushroom I've grown so far!
It's about the size of a softball!! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:20 am 

Beautiful, now don't go on a neurogenesis spree, won't you?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:32 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Beautiful, now don't go on a neurogenesis spree, won't you?

Thank you sir! I'll try not to let the neurons get too out of control! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 10:40 pm 

I posted from work because we are SO not busy
in this here pandemic in the midwest in the US
/smh

Yes, I do worry about everyone out there
and am deeply disappointed by what folks are NOT doing
:cry:

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 1:10 am 

Stay safe, amigo, we're proud of you!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:48 am 

thx GG :mrgreen:
follow your safe protocols & be alert to changes,
don't forget to breathe
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:54 am 

Things are exponentially getting worse here, I am afraid. The worst part is, everyone knew it would come to that...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:19 am 

Stay safe GG!

I still work at a holiday home rental company. At this point I am not going to tell you which one since staff and colleagues are being harassed on social media (thank Frank I don't have Facebook and don't use LinkedIn.)
Last year during high season we were understaffed and we sometimes had up to 20 people waiting in queue, which then shocked me. The amount of waiters is now well over 100. It's really getting to a lot of our colleagues.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:26 am 

Stood in front of the frozen foods looking at "Seize the Bay" fish sticks, and "Mr. Fowlers" chicken nuggets thinking, where am I, a grocery store or a comedy club?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:18 am 

cory1984 wrote:
Stood in front of the frozen foods looking at "Seize the Bay" fish sticks, and "Mr. Fowlers" chicken nuggets thinking, where am I, a grocery store or a comedy club?

So you like fish sticks... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:41 pm 

I paid a R$ 666.13 bill... :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:41 pm 

I had to pay my covered care card back $550, I had some dental work done at the end of 2018 but the final work was February 2019 but because of the work surpassing my insurance they billed it in 2018 and I paid the balance with my card in 2019...they also wanted me to refund $210 for glass's frames because when I got my new glass's they covered that but not a replacement frame for some older ones.

They suspended my card and I challenged the charges, I lost and appealed they ruled in my favor for the glass's but not the dental work, I went to arbitration and lost, there was no way around that billing date no matter how long they worked on that tooth.

So I have been paying out of pocket for nearly a year and I have a shit load of receipts to submit for refund, it looks like a labor intensive process...I am still pissed off... :evil:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:56 am 

Plook wrote:
I had to pay my covered care card back $550, I had some dental work done at the end of 2018 but the final work was February 2019 but because of the work surpassing my insurance they billed it in 2018 and I paid the balance with my card in 2019...they also wanted me to refund $210 for glass's frames because when I got my new glass's they covered that but not a replacement frame for some older ones.

They suspended my card and I challenged the charges, I lost and appealed they ruled in my favor for the glass's but not the dental work, I went to arbitration and lost, there was no way around that billing date no matter how long they worked on that tooth.

So I have been paying out of pocket for nearly a year and I have a shit load of receipts to submit for refund, it looks like a labor intensive process...I am still pissed off... :evil:

Damn, is this a case of Obama care vs Don'T care? :P

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:52 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Plook wrote:

So adjuster/accountant get's to make the decision and not amount of logic was changing their minds, it's attack of the Bean Counter's... :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:28 am 

Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Plook wrote:

So adjuster/accountant get's to make the decision and not amount of logic was changing their minds, it's attack of the Bean Counter's... :evil:

Locally a bunch of medical insurance companies had been quietly buying and selling slices of one
another, each time fine tuning selected policies in such a way as to drastically change the coverage
without changing the cost. Many policy holders were unaware of these changes right up until the moment
they made a claim.....covered for dental, not anymore, cancer, sorry you're not covered for the five star treatment,
here's two aspirin.....The government is investigating, a little too late for some.....

Thankfully the crumbling Cookie has a comprehensive rock solid deal locked in, they did a little
wriggling around early on, until Cookie's lawyer wrote "them" a $1,200.00 letter, now she's waxed.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:02 am 

At around 3:00pm on Monday afternoon a slip "blocked" one lane of state highway two,
one of the two main highways out of Wellington (NZ's capital city)

talk about your nanny state.....
I'm in that traffic, but even if you look closely, you won't see me.....ghostmobile :lol: .....

That little pile of dirt gridlocked the city for over four hours, there was over 20k's of traffic
backed up all the way into the central city.....
The radio was reporting that specialized equipment was being bought in to clear the road,
when I reached "the slip" (7:00ish) there was a guy with a broom was sweeping it up.....

I left the coal face at around 5:00ish and didn't hit the sofa till well after 8:00pm
under normal circumstances I'm home by 6:00ish.....

On the bright side I had water not quite enough coffee a big sandwich and chocolate.....
and 1,000 albums on the usbsssss.....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:10 am 

I scored 26.5 points which gives me a shared 137th place (out of 469) at the annual AIVD Christmas Puzzle (which took unusually long to correct). Pretty happy about being in the top 30%, somewhat upset about the few points I missed...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:34 am 

I'm to give a powerpoint and show a film in mid Sep for the seniors over zoom. Science light for seniors, with the title Materials or Stuff mattters (ripped off from a book). In the classroom I use the community college classroom and projector. Now I am fearful for technology going wrong. I'm in the first 3 weeks of the session, though they tested zoom over the summer. I just went over all the powerpoint slides and cut off everything on the bottom of the screen, as there is always stuff there cluttering up people's laptop screens.

Thinking back to technology problems, I still remember a talk by a chemistry professor who later got a Nobel. He was getting a lesser award but wanted to spruce up the talk with fancy slides. We all got 3D glasses to look at molecules on the screen from two slide projectors. The projector was not happy with something. He was tinkering with them and accidentally knocked a projector out of alignment. All of let out a little scream at the same time. It forced your eyes to go crosseyed for a second.

Now I think you just use ChemDraw or some similar program, and you can just rotate your molecule on the screen to give the audience a sense of the 3D shape.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:05 am 

Tero wrote:
I'm to give a powerpoint and show a film in mid Sep for the seniors over zoom. Science light for seniors, with the title Materials or Stuff mattters (ripped off from a book). In the classroom I use the community college classroom and projector. Now I am fearful for technology going wrong. I'm in the first 3 weeks of the session, though they tested zoom over the summer. I just went over all the powerpoint slides and cut off everything on the bottom of the screen, as there is always stuff there cluttering up people's laptop screens.

Thinking back to technology problems, I still remember a talk by a chemistry professor who later got a Nobel. He was getting a lesser award but wanted to spruce up the talk with fancy slides. We all got 3D glasses to look at molecules on the screen from two slide projectors. The projector was not happy with something. He was tinkering with them and accidentally knocked a projector out of alignment. All of let out a little scream at the same time. It forced your eyes to go crosseyed for a second.

Now I think you just use ChemDraw or some similar program, and you can just rotate your molecule on the screen to give the audience a sense of the 3D shape.

That's a a funny story and very much fits the "absent-minded professor" stereotype. You'll likely be fine as long as you don't have laser beams shooting into the eyes of your audience; or anything else that might cause them to go cross eyed! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11710 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 465, 466, 467, 468, 469  Next