Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:53 am 

February: Ensemble Modern will play Zappa at the Elbphilharmonie Hamburg
June: Massive Attack in Düsseldorf
September: Steve Hackett in Essen & Steven Wilson in Oberhausen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:26 am 

^^^^^ Ensemble Modern oh man! ^^^^^

The Alice Cooper/Cookie's "you can't keep a bad girl down" farewell tour part four
to the hell hole that is Auckland and it's environs departs in: 8 hours and 35 minutes.....
party of three, Chunky dropped out for health reasons.

The excitement is building, I haven't told the girls that I sprung for the insanity package
front and center seats with the meet and greet and stuff.

The story they have been fed is that Joe 90 as gift, got us all $99.00 seats up the back,
which is where he is sitting, I know they'll be surprised.....I just have to keep the secret.....

This trip already has a magical mystery tour vibe about it, we all have five days off
with the concert on Thursday night being the only item on the agenda.....
We'll just have to see where the road takes us.....
Now that Chunky has piked out, Joe 90, who arrived in the hell hole today
and is sound asleep on the princess's sofa as we speak,
can travel with us for the balance of the trip, which will be nice.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:17 am 

Have a great one Gray Ghost, take some pics to post... :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:32 am 

^Yeah.

The Hollywood Bowl show is gonna be great. But not until May 31st.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:37 am 

Alice Cooper delivers a horror show in thhti Auckland
Chris Schulz​·00:37, February the 21st 2020

DAVE SIMPSON/GETTY IMAGES
He may be 72, but Alice Cooper's still got it.

Alice Cooper is holding a machete in his right hand and a baby doll by the neck in his left while he howls, "Goodbye, little Betty."

As he raises his machete and prepares to deliver a killer blow, two fully grown man-babies rush Cooper, bundle him into a straitjacket, then force his head down into position on a giant guillotine.

As the guitar rush of Dead Babies comes to a close, an executioner shouts, "Die!" and Cooper's head is lopped off, only to be picked up by a giant mutant baby who celebrates his decapitation by smacking it like a bongo drum.

Ridiculous? Of course it is. Cooper is one of the original shock-rockers, a horror conductor who's been delivering tongue-in-cheek nightmares like last night's one at Auckland's Trusts Arena for seven decades now.

At this point, as Cooper heads to Christchurch for the next leg of his Ol' Black Eyes Is Back world tour, it's as good a time as any to note that the golf-loving, leather-clad Californian rocker is 72 years old.

Yep. He's 72, and he's still rocking hard.

In the castle they roam… ☠️#AliceCooper #Castle pic.twitter.com/Z5RIWVkmzT

— Alice Cooper (@alicecooper) February 19, 2020

In a week when Elton John walked off stage early in Auckland with walking pneumonia then postponed the rest of his New Zealand shows for a year, and both Ozzy Osbourne and Swedish metallers Opeth postponed North American tours over health concerns, it's pleasing just to see Cooper arrive on stage looking a picture of health.

Sure, there are a few nods to the years behind Cooper, as well as his fans.

Outside the venue, friends greeted each other in whispers, and it was so quiet you could barely tell a rock show was about to go down.

Inside, the queue for free water was as long and orderly as the one for beer, while chairs were laid out and numbered in an orderly fashion.

Yes, a sit-down heavy metal show is a first for this reviewer, and it might have been a first for Trusts Arena too.

Alice Cooper isn't afraid to bring a theatrical twist to the stage.

Thankfully, once Cooper arrived on stage at the polite time of 8.50pm, those seats were abandoned and fans soon clamoured to get near the front and set about the important business of rocking out.

So did Cooper. He arrived for his "nightmare castle" dressed the part, delivering Feed My Frankenstein and No More Mr Nice Guy in tight leather pants, a billowing red shirt, black gloves and boots.

His voice is raw and pockmarked, perfect for the kind of 70s-flavoured riff-rock delivered by Cooper's impressively energetic band, including guitarist Nita Strauss who occasionally threatened to steal the show with her infectious enthusiasm.

But this wasn't just geriatric theatrics. It didn't feel like Cooper was going through the motions, despite, at 72, it's a miracle he can pull those leather pants on himself.

He didn't just make it all the way through his Trusts Arena show in front of a few thousand last night; he seemed to be fully enjoying himself.

As a result, the show got better as it went on.

During Raped and Freezin', Cooper shook his hips, clapped his hands, then waved a red flag around like a matador.

On Fallen in Love, he added flourishes of harmonica, and on Muscle of Love, he shook his maracas like he was doing free weights on fast forward at the gym.

Guitarist Nita Strauss threatened to steal the show at some points.

Hilariously, during I'm Eighteen, a song that's 49 years old, he brandished a crutch as a joke, waving it around, using it as an air guitar, then throwing it away casually over his shoulder.

By the time the bizarre baby-themed duo Billion Dollar Baby and Dead Babies arrived, with ghoulish figures overwhelming the stage and a cannon shooting streamers over the front rows, Cooper had fully warmed to the task.

And he wasn't done yet. For School's Out, he invited Elton John's band member
and Alice Cooper alumni Davey Johnstone on stage to let him have a go at finally finishing a show.

"Elton says hi," joked Cooper as he waved the crowd goodbye. Now that's how ageing old rockers really get things done.

Who: Alice Cooper

Where: Trusts Arena, Auckland

When: Thursday, February 20th 2020.

Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... n-auckland

Ghost Note(s):

Set List

Feed My Frankenstein
Mr. Nice Guy
Bed of Nails
Raped and Freezin'
Fallen in Love
Under My Wheels
Muscle of Love
Man Behind the Mask
Eighteen
Billion Dollar Babies
Poison
Roses on White lace
My Stars
Devils Food
Black Widow
Steven
Dead Babies
Escape
Teenage Frankenstein

Encore:
Department of Youth
School's Out

The trip up the island was a four seasons in one day affair that had blazing sun
torrential rain and everything in between, which I found enjoyable if at times
challenging, and had me wishing the Ghostmobile was rear wheel drive on more
than one occasion. Unfortunately due to a little pre-trip over partying by the girls,
the Ghostmobile became the Vomitron quite early on with sick bags being deployed
repeatedly throughout the trip, which we cut short with an overnight stay at a friends
cabin in a little place called Raurimu. Amazing bird life wandering about the place very tame,
around dusk the survivors took a five minute bush walk and got to hand feed
free range insects to a free range kiwi, which was very nice.....

Day Two

It became clear that while the early night and down home cooking had rejuvenated
the little woman it hadn't cured Cookie, who periodically slept and vomited her heart out
for the rest of the trip to thhti Auckland. When we reached the hell hole hotel Cookie
was in bad shape so we stopped off at a local emergency room and Cookie got an ambulance ride
and precautionary overnight stay in hospital with the little woman in attendance,
and Joe 90 got a front row seat to the big show.....

When I got these tickets I had automatically booked our usual hell hole hotel,
not realizing that Ol' Black Eyes wasn't performing at the usual Spark Arena but at
Trusts Arena on the far side of the hell hole.....
When I discovered my mistake, I had mapped out a half day bus/pub/bus/pub/bus trip
across town (with minimal walking) to the venue, as it turned out Cookie had secretly
arranged for a hotel car to drive us to the hell hole's outer edge, which they did complete
with f#@king strong ice cold tequila sunrise cocktails which as Joe 90 discovered,
appear to be having zero effect, until you attempt to leave the car.....
Joe actually toppled out, as though someone had cut his strings.....

The MC50 were awesome, I'm an old MC5 fan from way back, so it was great to see
Wayne mother f#@ken' Kramer kick out th' mother f#@ken' Jams, pure non stop rock
and finished much to soon. The moment they hit the stage I knew I was in big trouble,
shock horror! in all the pre concert excitement I'd forgotten my earplugs, no problem,
I reached for the backups that always live in this jacket, nope, no ear plugs.....
By the time I'd searched the jacket my left ear had popped, and a new and improved
tinnitus was in the house.....

Next up were Airborne non stop heavy metal and louder than The MC50, I couldn't understand a word.....
the damage was done, I was beyond caring.....
These guys appeared to have been sprayed with a hose from head to toe to provide a
look how hard we are working and the water flying off the hair effect during their dueling guitar/head banging set piece(s).....

Alice's new castle themed set and show is excellent, the band are still amazing, all the guitar solo's and antics you can use,
with a thundering drum solo to boot, every song was a full on theatrical production.
There were a number of old favorites that I never thought I'd get to see performed live,
Dead Babies, Muscle of Love and Steven to name but a few,
Alice playing a mean harmonica and maracas on Raped and Freezin' blew my little fan-boy mind,
for a couple of minutes there we were all down in Mexico.....
No snakes, but the snake hips were wiggling throughout the show.....
Mrs. Cooper stars as various characters throughout and eventually as Madam Guillotine,
when the executioner appears to be taking too much time, she personally leans in and gives Alice the chop (the secret to their long marriage?)

Our little front and center group of about ten very nice people danced and sang and danced till we couldn't dance or sing no more, the whole show had a fantastic vibe throughout,
even Joe 90 cut loose with a mysterious and energetic dance partner.....see photo

Unfortunately Joe 90 couldn't get into the meet and greet as they were checking names
with photo ids, and his cover was blown, no exceptions, despite our tale of woe,
accessing the front row they had just wanted to see a VIP laminate.....

We got to sit in a staff room back stage for about thirty minutes, I had a great view of the
impressive set being dismantled, great to see the ladders trap doors and workings of the
set from behind, I love all that stuff. They gave us water and some instructions on what
Alice would and would not autograph "no boobs" and on no account were we to film or photograph the man with any device when he arrived. About half way through the
proceedings a guy was sprung filming, he had his phone taken and was unceremoniously ejected out the back door.....
When it was my turn to approach the bench Alice said something like "I saw you out there, here's the guy that knew every lyric" he autographed my copy of Golf Monster,
(to Steve from your pal Alice) and asked if I played golf "the only addiction I could find that didn't try to kill me" I thanked him for coming and for the wonderful show,
he said something like "I'm having a great time" and "we try to change it up every couple of years" I was about to flee when he asked to take a closer look at my jacket saying something like "how cool is that, look at the history in this thing, it's really been through the mill"
another handshake and I attempted to flee again and was reminded there were still more photos to take :oops: more mutual thank you's and then, I was ushered out.....
Just in time to see the police arresting the secret filmer, according to Joe 90
the guy cut up rough about his confiscated phone "crying like a baby" he tried to get back
into the venue by kicking in a door, 20 metres from a police car full of policemen.

The hotel car arrived about 10 minutes later complete with more ice cold f#@king strong tequila sunrise cocktails and took us on the 45 minute scenic route to the hospital where
we were refused entry, I suspect for having drunk to many cocktails, the hotel car got us back to the hell hole hotel around midnightish, Joe 90 and myself got set up on the balcony with snacks booze and stuff to relive the entire evening in minute detail, I woke at about six am,
still on the balcony aching from head to toe, Joe 90 was on the ground half in half out and
said he felt fine, which was laughable, he couldn't bend his arms of legs, for twenty minutes
he was walking around the room like, dare I say it, the puppet he is nicknamed after.....
I hit the power shower for an industrial length of time despite the local water restrictions,
we ate an enormous breakfast and collapsed in air-con heaven till the 10:00am checkout
which was completed in a record five minutes as the girls hadn't actually checked or moved
in and us boys travel light or is that lite.....
We went to the hospital to apologise to the security guards and spring Cookie.....
She looked better than we did! and so did the little woman, who had just returned from
a couple of hours of pampering at a nearby day-spa.....
Damned tinnitus, I didn't even hear the credit card scream :lol: .....

According to those in the know, Cookie "just might have mixed up or miscalculated her meds"
and "just may have had a bit too much to drink" and then, thanks to the long trip in the
Vomitron, she become dangerously dehydrated, leading to the speaking in tongues
and bouts of unconscientious, one night on the red bull drip and she'll have you believe
she's as good as new.....I'm not buying it for a second.....

We had a very nice drive home, fine all the way, we began with a little gps roulette
which took us on a less travelled and extremely picturesque ski bunny route, as it's the off season the roads were practically deserted. The patient slept most of the way whilst being monitored by the little woman via Joe 90's "on loan" nerdy sports watch, that he rang up
about no less then six times during our roughly ten hour return journey, to check that
the old folks hadn't broken his precision instrument.....Cookie didn't lose her lunch or
seemingly miss a beat.....
I'm a little stiff but otherwise unscathed, and for the first time in a long time at a concert
I don't remember thinking, even as I was receiving my tinnitus top up,
I'm too old for this shit.....the vibe was just so good.....

Out of interest and before this post exceeds the well documented and internationally
recognised minimum trendy post length, the soundtrack for both legs of
The Alice Cooper/Cookie's "you can't keep a good meal down" farewell tour part four
were the most enjoyable and spookily appropriate for the occasion FZ albums 23 through 40

Gray Ghost left - Alice Cooper right

Gray Ghost left - Alice Cooper right

Alice Cooper left - Joe 90's mysterious and energetic dance partner right

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:22 am 

grade A post.

thanks ghost!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:33 am 

^^^What a big time adventure Gray, my first question is how old is that jacket... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:52 pm 

The Ensemble Modern concert in Hamburg was just wonderful. Standing ovations. The musicians had fun, too. The guy next to the trombone player, who played a breathtaking solo in Revised Music, laughed and slapped him on the thigh.

Next:
Pat Metheny Side-Eye - JazzNights - Düsseldorf
Nick Mason's Saucerful Of Secrets - Münster
Steve Hackett - Essen
Steven Wilson- Oberhausen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:56 pm 

You're in for some fine jazz-fusion and some serious prog dive...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:26 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

:smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:25 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

Next thing you know Fritz will be doing Jazz hands every where he goes... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:37 am 

Only now I got to read Ghost's fantastic tale of adventure (and romance)... Looking good, too! Abraços!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:57 am 

Have to wait for Mrs T to wake up so I can buy tickets to local symphony date in April. It is basically Fantasia plus some "modern composer" that still makes an effort, a piece first played (and written for) by the symphony in 2006. Zappa would approve Firebird suite.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:29 pm 

Fantasia had a big impact on me... I would love to attend such a concert.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:09 pm 

January - Kamasi Washington
March - A Bowie Celebration (postponed), Thundercat (postponed)
May - Robyn Hitchcock
June - King Crimson/Zappa Band
July - 24-7 Spyz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:06 am 

Assuming all the weak ones have died off, and things are back to normal...

July 12 - King Crimson/Zappa Band

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:19 am 

POSTPONED

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:18 am 

I know there are quite a few musicians giving online free concerts. Among them Dir En Grey, but unfortunately for me they'll start at 11AM GMT (19:00 Japanese time) which is when I have to work (on the phone using WIFI so watching while working is going to slow down connection). Hmmm... how to solve this...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:51 pm 

That is a tough one BBP, maybe your connection could "go down" accidentally switched off at the wall right around the time of the concert, magically reconnecting five or six cool down minutes after the encore.....
it could happen.....It's happened to me, more than once :lol:

This just in: more tickets for the scrap book.....

John Mayall – 9th April 2020 – The Opera House, Wellington.

POSTPONED

Patti Smith – 27th – 28th April 2020 – thhti Auckland Town Hall.

POSTPONED

On the plus side The New Zealand Symphony Orchestra are to premiere a new
online performance tonight at 7.30pm local time

https://www.nzso.co.nz/live?utm_source= ... rceNumber=

the NZSO live stream was excellent.....short, but excellent.

Coincidentally pre lockdown we had a bassoonist and a cellist jamming in the cave for
a couple of nights, it was awesome.....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:19 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
That is a tough one BBP, maybe your connection could "go down" accidentally switched off at the wall right around the time of the concert, magically reconnecting five or six cool down minutes after the encore.....
it could happen.....It's happened to me, more than once :lol:

Sorry to hear about all those missed concerts Ghostie...

I attempted to listen to the concert during my work but the connection wasn't good enough, so work won. Luckily I could watch ten minutes of encore during my break!

And of course it's on Youtube. It starts with some ten minutes of empty room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTnQLSK80TQ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:47 am 

^^^^^ cheers BBP ^^^^^

We would have been getting down with Dweezil right about now.....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:58 am 

just plain doug wrote:
Assuming all the weak ones have died off, and things are back to normal...

July 12 - King Crimson/Zappa Band

Put off for 1 year.
Assuming the venue will be available in a year.
And not too many more band members have joined the choir invisible.
Now, I need to decide on either getting a refund, or hold onto the tickets until next summer....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:46 am 

Dweezil, March: canceled/postponed?
Alice Cooper/ Tesla/ Lita Ford, June: canceled/postponed?
Primus, tribute to Rush, June: canceled/postponed?
KISS, David Lee Roth, September: I'm guessing: canceled/postponed?
Faith No More / Korn, September ???

I bought tickets to all these, would love to see makeup dates.

My last show I did attend was back in September, Sebastian Bach on a beach, on Block Island, he did the entire debut Skid Row album, great show. He was calling the place Bach Island :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :smoke:

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:00 am 

Now offically CANCELLED

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:44 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2780 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 108, 109, 110, 111, 112  Next