Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Hot Rats US 2020
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:58 am 

I saw the first go-round of the Hot Rats tour at Hampton Beach, on DZ's 50th Birthday 9/5.
Great show (as always) got to speak with Kurt Morgan for about 15 minutes before the show, outside in the "smokers corral" before the show. I gave DZ a really nice custom laser engraved Zippo lighter for his birthday.
I also chatted with Cian Coey for a few minutes after the show, she's a real sweetie.
I'll be seeing them again on March 10 in Derry NH, this is actually the closest they've ever performed to my house, it's about a 20 minute ride. I'm used to driving 40-100 miles to see them.
I just got the Hot Rats Sessions 50th Anniversary box set, I may bring it to the show and try to get it autographed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:04 am 

Plook wrote:
You asked for it, well here it is my big 10 inch set list... :mrgreen:

Sounds like you had a great time, thanks for sharing!!! You got any pics? :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:48 am 

FZNH wrote:
I saw the first go-round of the Hot Rats tour at Hampton Beach, on DZ's 50th Birthday 9/5.
Great show (as always) got to speak with Kurt Morgan for about 15 minutes before the show, outside in the "smokers corral" before the show. I gave DZ a really nice custom laser engraved Zippo lighter for his birthday.
I also chatted with Cian Coey for a few minutes after the show, she's a real sweetie.
I'll be seeing them again on March 10 in Derry NH, this is actually the closest they've ever performed to my house, it's about a 20 minute ride. I'm used to driving 40-100 miles to see them.
I just got the Hot Rats Sessions 50th Anniversary box set, I may bring it to the show and try to get it autographed.

That's awesome you've been able to interact with so many members of the band, how do you manage to pull this off? Did you actually get the lighter to DZ personally? I remember reading about you wanting to give it to him after you had it made.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:57 am 

String beans live on stage in Utah.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:52 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
That's awesome you've been able to interact with so many members of the band, how do you manage to pull this off? Did you actually get the lighter to DZ personally? I remember reading about you wanting to give it to him after you had it made.

I actually had that one made in 2011, along with a few other variants, one of which had the same pumpkins on the front, but I put a Captain Beefheart logo on the back.
I'm a Zippo collector and have display cases with over 300 Zippos.
That one has been in one of my cases since then, I never intended to get rid of it, but since it was Dweezils 50th birthday, I figured it would be nice to give it to him.
No, I didn't get to give it to him personally, because he didn't do an autograph session after the show, but I did see Cian Coey afterwards, chatted with her for a few minutes and gave it to her to pass on to Dweezil, so I'm pretty sure he got it.
I was at the show last night in Derry NH, (which was freakin' awesome!) and again they didn't do an autograph session. However, I did chat with Ryan Brown (the drummer) for a few minutes after the show. I had a new hat I was hoping to get autographed by the whole band, but I only got Ryans.
He's a wicked nice guy, he told me that he's been following Dweezils career since 2006, he was at that first ZPZ show in Boston as a spectator. That was with Steve Vai, Terry Bozzio and Napoleon. I was also at that show.
That was the same night Steve Vai did this interview clip talking about his audition for Franks band:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6cplMM3d_Q

The show last night was quite a bit better than the show at Hampton Beach last September, although Cian Coey isn't on the tour anymore, you can tell that the band is much more rehearsed than they were six months ago. Probably because they've been doing the bulk of the songs for such a long stretch, they can probably do it in their sleep by now. Also, the acoustics at the Tupelo are MUCH better than Hampton Beach, so it sounded phenomenal.
Every member of the band is excellent, but once again, it was Scheila that brought down the house.
This time she also had a baritone sax in addition to her usual arsenal of instruments.
I asked Ryan about that and he said it's because this half of the tour started in LA, so she was able to bring it on the tour bus. Last time they flew out of LA and jumped on the bus somewhere else, and she wasn't able to bring it on the plane.