Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 789, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795 ... 807  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 4385
Location: Oregon
just plain doug wrote:
BIG NEWS
The world stands aghast!

Pope Francis apologizes for scornful slap of woman who yanked his arm

Image

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/pope-francis-apologizes-for-scornful-slap-of-woman-who-yanked-his-arm-1.4749182


Image

_________________
“Listen to everyone, read everything; believe absolutely nothing unless you can prove it in your own right!”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 38653
Location: >>==> Wellington, New Zealand.
Image
Image
Image
Sending out an SOS to the world

Our Prime Minister is failing us. Our fire fighters are dying. Whole towns demolished. People stranded on beaches cause there is no where else for them to go safely. Our wild life are already endangered and will be on the brink of extinction. Over 12 million acres of bush destroyed by fires.

Thank you to the Canadian fire fighters who have come, but sadly it’s not enough.

_________________
Hey Punk, where you goin' with those two votes in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 7985
Location: Over there! (last)
Pat Bagley
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 18070
Location: City Of Tiny Lites
I'd post it onto the Weird News, but these days it is not surprising anymore...

Brazil's culture minister sparks outrage by echoing Goebbels

A video in which Brazil's culture minister uses parts of a speech by Joseph Goebbels, Nazi Germany's propaganda boss, has sparked outrage.


Image
The minister said his speech was a "rhetorical coincidence"

In the clip posted on the ministry's Twitter page, Roberto Alvim details an award for "heroic" and "national" art.

Lohengrin by Wagner, Hitler's favourite composer, plays in the background.

Reacting to the controversy, Mr Alvim said the speech was a "rhetorical coincidence". Far-right President Jair Bolsonaro has been urged to fire him.

Mr Bolsonaro, a former army captain with a conservative social agenda, has frequently accused Brazil's artists and cultural productions including schoolbooks and movies of "left-wing bias". He has not commented.

In the six-minute video detailing the National Arts Awards, Mr Alvim says: "The Brazilian art of the next decade will be heroic and will be national, will be endowed with great capacity for emotional involvement... deeply linked to the urgent aspirations of our people, or else it will be nothing."

Parts of it are identical to a speech quoted in the book Joseph Goebbels: A Biography, by German historian Peter Longerich, who has written several works on the Holocaust.

"The German art of the next decade will be heroic, it will be steely-romantic, it will be factual and completely free of sentimentality, it will be national with great Pathos and committed, or it will be nothing."

There was widespread condemnation on social media. But there were others who praised the video.

In a post on his Facebook page, Mr Alvim said "the left was doing a fallacious remote association" between the two speeches, and that "there was nothing wrong with his sentence".

"The whole speech was based on a nationalistic ideal for the Brazilian art and there was a coincidence with ONE sentence of a speech by Goebbels. I didn't quote him and I'd NEVER do it... But the sentence itself is perfect."

He did not comment on the music that plays in the video.

On Twitter, the speaker of the lower house of Brazil's Congress, Rodrigo Maia, said Mr Alvim had "gone beyond all limits" saying the video was "inacceptable". He urged Mr Bolsonaro to remove him from the post.

The Brazilian Israelite Confederation said: "To emulate [Goebbels'] view... is a frightening sign of his vision of culture, which must be combated and contained."

It called for his immediate removal, adding: "Brazil, which sent brave soldiers to combat Nazism on European soil, doesn't deserve it."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-51149224

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:01 pm
Posts: 3962
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I'd post it onto the Weird News, but these days it is not surprising anymore...

Brazil's culture minister sparks outrage by echoing Goebbels

A video in which Brazil's culture minister uses parts of a speech by Joseph Goebbels, Nazi Germany's propaganda boss, has sparked outrage.


Image
The minister said his speech was a "rhetorical coincidence"

In the clip posted on the ministry's Twitter page, Roberto Alvim details an award for "heroic" and "national" art.

Lohengrin by Wagner, Hitler's favourite composer, plays in the background.

Reacting to the controversy, Mr Alvim said the speech was a "rhetorical coincidence". Far-right President Jair Bolsonaro has been urged to fire him.

Mr Bolsonaro, a former army captain with a conservative social agenda, has frequently accused Brazil's artists and cultural productions including schoolbooks and movies of "left-wing bias". He has not commented.

In the six-minute video detailing the National Arts Awards, Mr Alvim says: "The Brazilian art of the next decade will be heroic and will be national, will be endowed with great capacity for emotional involvement... deeply linked to the urgent aspirations of our people, or else it will be nothing."

Parts of it are identical to a speech quoted in the book Joseph Goebbels: A Biography, by German historian Peter Longerich, who has written several works on the Holocaust.

"The German art of the next decade will be heroic, it will be steely-romantic, it will be factual and completely free of sentimentality, it will be national with great Pathos and committed, or it will be nothing."

There was widespread condemnation on social media. But there were others who praised the video.

In a post on his Facebook page, Mr Alvim said "the left was doing a fallacious remote association" between the two speeches, and that "there was nothing wrong with his sentence".

"The whole speech was based on a nationalistic ideal for the Brazilian art and there was a coincidence with ONE sentence of a speech by Goebbels. I didn't quote him and I'd NEVER do it... But the sentence itself is perfect."

He did not comment on the music that plays in the video.

On Twitter, the speaker of the lower house of Brazil's Congress, Rodrigo Maia, said Mr Alvim had "gone beyond all limits" saying the video was "inacceptable". He urged Mr Bolsonaro to remove him from the post.

The Brazilian Israelite Confederation said: "To emulate [Goebbels'] view... is a frightening sign of his vision of culture, which must be combated and contained."

It called for his immediate removal, adding: "Brazil, which sent brave soldiers to combat Nazism on European soil, doesn't deserve it."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-51149224


Looks like the Boys from Brazil are back in town
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:25 pm
Posts: 4385
Location: Oregon
what exactly does a culture minister do?

_________________
“Listen to everyone, read everything; believe absolutely nothing unless you can prove it in your own right!”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 38653
Location: >>==> Wellington, New Zealand.
cory1984 wrote:
what exactly does a culture minister do?


get paid an obscene amount of money.....

_________________
Hey Punk, where you goin' with those two votes in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 8855
Location: The Thumb
Gray_Ghost wrote:
cory1984 wrote:
what exactly does a culture minister do?


get paid an obscene amount of money.....


Image
Meet my Minister of Culture: Soul Brother #1, James Brown

_________________
*********************************************************************
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 18070
Location: City Of Tiny Lites
Actually, it used to be a plain ministry but it was demoted by this govt (who hates any cultural manifestation not aligned with its own perverse ideology of hate) to special secretariat. In a country like Brasil, with a wide range of cultural manifestations (from the Amazon to the Pampas) its intended role is to foment music, theater, cinema, traditional festivities and art in general in the country.

The discourse didn't go down well, naturally, with many of us, including the Jewish community, so the major na2i had to fire him...

Check yourself how creepy this is:

Brazil's Culture Minister Fired After Quoting Joseph Goebbels In A Speech | TIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHMw9DRKWCE

Brazil's culture secretary fired after ‘coincidentally’ quoting Goebbels
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxyswKaa7ro

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:53 pm
Posts: 1150
Location: ger-money
cory1984 wrote:
what exactly does a culture minister do?

When things are going a proper way, they support interesting artists:
Image
French culture minister (at about the time of the perfect stranger) Jack Lang.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 5336
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
A model did what?
Image

_________________
I'm petulant, and I'm having a frenzy...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 38653
Location: >>==> Wellington, New Zealand.
British rocker Ozzy Osbourne reveals Parkinson's diagnosis
Laura Harding·08:06, January the 22nd, 2020

Image
Vianney Le Caer/AP
"I got a numbness down this arm for the surgery, my legs keep going cold." Osbourne said of his Parkinson's disease.

Rock legend Ozzy Osbourne has revealed he has been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease.

The Black Sabbath frontman and reality TV star, 71, told Good Morning America it was discovered that he had the neurodegenerative disorder after a fall.

He said: "I did my last show New Year's Eve at The Forum. Then I had a bad fall. I had to have surgery on my neck, which screwed all my nerves and I found out that I have a mild form."

His wife Sharon, who is also his manager, added: "There's so many different types of Parkinson's, it's not a death sentence by any stretch of the imagination, but it does affect certain nerves in your body. And it's like you have a good day, a good day, and then a really bad day."

Osbourne continued: "I'm on a host of medications, mainly for the surgery. I got a numbness down this arm for the surgery, my legs keep going cold.

"I don't know if that's the Parkinson's or what, you know, but that's the problem. Because they cut nerves when they did the surgery. I'd never heard of nerve pain, and it's a weird feeling."

Speaking to host Robin Roberts, Sharon revealed the couple will now go abroad so Osbourne can receive treatment, saying:

"We have reached a point in this country where we can't go any further because we have got all the answers we can get here, so in April we are going to a professor in Switzerland who deals with getting your immune system at its peak.

"We are going to go wherever we can go to seek answers."

​Ozzy added: "To hide something inside for a while, it's hard. You never feel proper, you feel guilty. I'm no good with secrets. I cannot walk around with it any more because it's like I'm running out of excuses, you know?"

He continued: "I feel better now that I've owned up to the fact that I have Parkinson's. I just hope they (the fans) hang on and are there for me because I need them."

Osbourne also said he hopes to perform again, saying: "I just can't wait to get well enough to go on the road, that is what is killing me.

"I need it, that is my drug today. I've done all of the other crap, left that by the wayside, survived that, and I ain't done yet and I ain't going to go anywhere yet."

AP

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/c ... -diagnosis

_________________
Hey Punk, where you goin' with those two votes in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 7985
Location: Over there! (last)
Bob Englehart
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 8855
Location: The Thumb
Gray_Ghost wrote:
British rocker Ozzy Osbourne reveals Parkinson's diagnosis
Laura Harding·08:06, January the 22nd, 2020

Image
Vianney Le Caer/AP


Personally, I think he should retire & just live out his years away from the stage. Fans insistence, and his inability to give up the spotlight will make it tougher on him. It's a trap.

_________________
*********************************************************************
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 5336
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
Milton Bradley wrote:
Personally, I think he should retire & just live out his years away from the stage.

Ya think?

He's 71, and his best solo albums - Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary of a Madman - were both made about forty years ago.

At this point, he's pretty much just a pile of collagen and false teeth, mixed with a puddle of Botox and hair dye...

_________________
I'm petulant, and I'm having a frenzy...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 38653
Location: >>==> Wellington, New Zealand.
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:
Personally, I think he should retire & just live out his years away from the stage.

Ya think?

He's 71, and his best solo albums - Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary of a Madman - were both made about forty years ago.

At this point, he's pretty much just a pile of collagen and false teeth, mixed with a puddle of Botox and hair dye...


He cancelled a stack of gigs last year on his final world tour due to an infected hand.....

Sadly $haron won't let Ozzy quit, $he'll be wringing Ozzy'$ bell for as looooong as $he can.....

you can wring my bell, you can wring my bell ca ching ca ching, ah-ah, wring it!

_________________
Hey Punk, where you goin' with those two votes in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 8855
Location: The Thumb
Gray_Ghost wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Milton Bradley wrote:
Personally, I think he should retire & just live out his years away from the stage.

Ya think?

He's 71, and his best solo albums - Blizzard Of Ozz and Diary of a Madman - were both made about forty years ago.

At this point, he's pretty much just a pile of collagen and false teeth, mixed with a puddle of Botox and hair dye...


He cancelled a stack of gigs last year on his final world tour due to an infected hand.....

Sadly $haron won't let Ozzy quit, $he'll be wringing Ozzy'$ bell for as looooong as $he can.....

you can wring my bell, you can wring my bell ca ching ca ching, ah-ah, wring it!



Cogito, ergo sum

Ah yes, The life of aging rockers playing (let's face it) teenager music. in which nobody appears to have an exit-strategy and or a step-by-step way of gradual self-removal. Too many yes-people which the 'talent' has been surround by for far too many years that they are just like family and depend on that individual hitting the stage for their paychecks aren't about to un-employ themselves by telling him not to do it.

Up next: This summer! Your local state fair featuring Black Sabbath('s former original singer) between the corn-dog shack and the Tilt-A-Whirl.

_________________
*********************************************************************
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 38653
Location: >>==> Wellington, New Zealand.
in local news

Jacinda Ardern announces 2020 election will be held on September 19th
Henry Cooke and Luke Malpass·16:31, January the 28th, 2020.

Image
MONIQUE FORD/STUFF
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced that the general election will be held on September the 19th.

The announcement was made at the Beehive in Wellington, during at the first post-cabinet press conference of 2020, after Ardern advised the Governor-General.

The announcement comes ahead of the Government's $12 billion infrastructure announcement announced, to be held on Wednesday morning in Auckland.

The decision to nominate the election date early follows on from a precedent first set by John Key in 2011, 2014 and continued in 2017 under Bill English.

Traditionally, knowing when a election will be held is a significant advantage for a sitting Government as it can plan the year and raise campaign funds accordingly, while keeping the Opposition guessing.

Ardern said she thought announcing early was best practice and gave everyone time to prepare - including the Opposition and the Electoral Commission.

"I've always believed that announcing elections dates early is fair. It improves the opportunities for New Zealanders to take part in the democratic process and gives a greater degree of certainty to the political landscape," Ardern said.

Elections in New Zealand always take place on a Saturday. Every election since 2011 has been held in September.

"I will be asking New Zealanders to continue to support my leadership and the current direction of the Government, which is grounded in stability, a strong economy and progress on the long term challenges facing New Zealand," Ardern said.

"When it comes to the campaign, I've set out Labour's plan to give New Zealanders an election contest that is positive, factual and robust.

"Until then the Government will continue on getting things done."

The Government expects the House will rise on August the 6th, nominations will close on August the 20th, and early voting will start on September the 7th. The last day for the return of the "writ" - the official election results - will be October the 15th.

NATIONAL: BRING IT ON

National leader Simon Bridges said his party was ready to win the election and govern.

"National has done the work and we have the experience to deliver on our promises to get things done," Bridges said.

"We're going to be campaigning on more money in people's pockets as they struggle with the costs and burdens this Government has made worse, on transport and highways to actually get people where they need to go, and on safer families."

Bridges said the country would see a "flurry of announcements" from Ardern ahead of the election but not much actually being done.

He expected to run a campaign that was a mix of positive messaging about what National would do if elected and criticisms of the Government.

"There's no doubt that we have a role to point out where the Government hasn't delivered where they say they would. People get that when it comes to KiwiBuild, light rail, and the end of poverty - which hasn't happened."

He said his Government would hit the ground running on the day after the election - not mentioning coalition talks.

When asked about coalition talks holding things up Bridges said his party was "shooting to win".

He has not yet made public whether or not he will rule out working with NZ First and its leader Winston Peters, as John Key did in 2008.

On most polling National would not be able to govern without the help of NZ First, but two recent 1 News/Colmar Brunton polls had them able to govern with just ACT.

"I will give Kiwis certainty in election year," Bridges said of his decision.

Green Party co-leader James Shaw welcomed the news of the election date.

"Knowing the date of the election gives New Zealanders plenty of time to think about the future they want for their kids and grandkids," Shaw said.

"We have a track record of change that we're very proud of. We'll be asking New Zealanders to think about how much further and faster we could go with just a few more Greens in government."

ACT leader David Seymour said his party would campaign to give Kiwis more control over their lives.

The Electoral Commission announced that the results of the two referendums held at the general election - on euthanasia and personal cannabis use - would not be announced until October the 2nd.

Image
ROBERT KITCHIN/STUFF
National leader Simon Bridges said his team was ready to win and govern.

Stuff

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... ptember-19

_________________
Hey Punk, where you goin' with those two votes in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:28 pm
Posts: 5336
Location: in the tiny dirt somewhere
Image

_________________
I'm petulant, and I'm having a frenzy...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:01 pm
Posts: 3962
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
Image


:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 8855
Location: The Thumb
Sunday's date is a rare palindrome that hasn't happened in over 900 years

02-02-2020
*Tip of the hat to my ancestors from 01-01-1010

_________________
*********************************************************************
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Sep 11, 2002 7:45 pm
Posts: 6858
Location: Québec country (let me dream...)
Milton Bradley wrote:
Sunday's date is a rare palindrome that hasn't happened in over 900 years

02-02-2020
*Tip of the hat to my ancestors from 01-01-1010


Next one will be 12-02-2021
Ane the previous one was 03-11-1130
:smoke:

_________________
No doubt, we're doomed ! For a real diplomacy: abolish Electoral College
Ignore list: DiscoBoy


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:54 pm
Posts: 8855
Location: The Thumb
The Chinese government has refused Donald Trump's offer of government financial assistance in the wake of the Corona virus.

Why do I get the feeling that the Chinese government has been watching the Trump impeachment over the quid pro quo and just said "Yeah, No thanks, we're good" Now that would be a good political cartoon.

_________________
*********************************************************************
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:18 pm
Posts: 7985
Location: Over there! (last)
I wrote three checks, dated in palindrome fashion, to mark the occasion. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 18070
Location: City Of Tiny Lites
Brian Wilson urges fans to boycott Beach Boys gig

Brian Wilson is urging fans to boycott a gig by his former band The Beach Boys, over trophy hunting fears.


A version of the California band, fronted by Mike Love, are to play the Safari Club International Convention in Reno, Nevada on Wednesday.

Image

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51369603

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 789, 790, 791, 792, 793, 794, 795 ... 807  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group