Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat May 30, 2020 4:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:22 am 

...but also, December 4, 1971, or 48 years ago today:

Fire!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:44 am 

R.I.P. Frank.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:14 pm 

1970:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:52 pm 

52 years ago today...
...at the Aston University in Birmingham, England, Pink Floyd performed the first of the few gigs as a five piece, with Syd and David both on guitar. Around this date some publicity shots were taken of this short-lived line-up, and here's one of them:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:40 am 

100 year ago...

Prohibition (ban on ethyl alcohol trade) begun being enforced in the USA...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_in_the_United_States

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:22 pm 

50 years ago:

80 years ago:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:10 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Exactly 415 years ago today:

1600 – Italian philosopher Giordano Bruno, best-known as a proponent of heliocentrism and the infinity of the universe, was burned at the stake as a heretic by the Roman Inquisition.

Jedi Master Giordano Bruno

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:05 pm 

14 March 1869: Frederick Trump, grandpa of the best president ever in the known universe, born in germany.
14 March 1879: Albert Einstein, famous theoretical physicist, born in germany.
14 March 2018: Stephen Hawking, another famous theoretical physicist, dies of ALS about 50 years later than his doctors predicted.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:19 am 

46 years ago today, King Crimson's Starless and Bible Black was released:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:44 am 

100 years of Ravi Shankar

<Click me, listen, with Patrick O'Hearn>

105 Years of Billie Holiday

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:48 pm 

1 year ago today, Notre Damme in Paris burned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:42 pm 

15 years since the first youtube video upload
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNQXAC9IVRw

Post subject: Re: On this day...
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:41 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
May 1: May Day; International Workers' Day

International Workers' Day (a name used interchangeably with May Day) is a [holiday and] celebration of the social and economic achievements of the international labor movement.

May Day commonly sees organized street demonstrations and street marches by millions of working people and their labour unions throughout most of the countries of the world — though, as noted below, rarely in the United States and Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Workers%27_Day

Happy International Workers' Day, everyone!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:49 am 

Happy may 1st Mr. GG and everybody!
One year ago this day:
Brumotti does it again in Frankfurt – road bike freestyle on top of 200m tower

Post subject: May the 4th be with you!
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:30 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:26 pm 

75 years ago the nazi concentration camp Mauthausen in austria was liberated by US-troops. One of the liberated prisoners was Flora Klein, mother of Kiss singer Gene Simmons. Interesting interview on the topic with Gene Simmons:
https://www.bild.de/unterhaltung/leute/leute/kiss-frontman-gene-simmons-bild-talked-with-him-about-his-mothers-liberation-fro-70406870.bild.html
KISS frontman Gene Simmons BILD talked to him about his mother`s liberation from German concentration camp
The BILD am Sonntag reporters with Gene Simmons in Leipzig
Foto: Wolf Lux
von: HANS-WILHELM SAURE UND SVEN KUSCHEL veröffentlicht am
03.05.2020 - 13:41 Uhr

Her survival became an important part of his life ...

In five decades of rock ‘n’ roll, the four steel strings of his bass guitar have left deep furrows at the fingernails of his right hand. The tips of his fingers are callused. With these fingers, KISS frontman Gene Simmons (70) gently strokes a name and the number 318 on a document – “Flora Klein”. It’s his Jewish mother’s maiden name. The document records her liberation from the Mauthausen concentration camp 75 years ago.

The liberation marked the end of an ordeal that included living in a ghetto in Budapest and in three Nazi concentration camps. The young woman (then 19) was liberated on 5 May 1945. Simmons sees the historic document for the first time.
On this liberation list from the concentration camp Mauthausen Flora Klein, the mother of Gene Simmons, became the numbre 318. A numbre, that stands after 75 years for her surviving
On this liberation list from the concentration camp Mauthausen Flora Klein, the mother of Gene Simmons was number 318. A number that represents 75 years of her survival
Foto: Privat

Prior to the corona crisis, BILD am Sonntag met the rock star with the famous tongue in Leipzig for a very personal conversation – without makeup or a mask. The conversation concerned the fate of his mother during the Nazi time – a fate that was mostly unknown to him. Flora Klein was born in Jand (Hungary) in 1925 and died in December 2018 in the United States, aged 93.

“I lost my mother. My mentor. My moral compass,” the KISS singer wrote, deeply saddened, when she died. He thinks of her and her values every day. Once he was told by her: “I’m supposed to be a good boy. That’s what I wanted to be for her.” Simmons told BILD about this close connection in an interview. He also said that his mother hardly ever talked about her time in the concentration camps. “I knew almost nothing.”

BILD am Sonntag took this statement as a cue to search for information. The result is dozens of documents and yellowed pages. Simmons wants to know EVERYTHING. A quiet meeting with one of the world’s loudest musicians.

When asked whether it’s okay to film us handing over the papers, he says: “Yes, history must never be tampered with.”

Gene Simmons browses the folder that was compiled for him. It contains approximately 100 pages. The musician carefully reads every single one of them. Sometimes he sighs, with a brief “Yep”.

The documents include lists from concentration camps, file cards from the International Red Cross, records about the liberation of the Mauthausen concentration camp by US soldiers.

Simmons is sweating. “My children simply cannot understand all of this. They cannot believe it. The things that happened back then. How many people became victims. Not only Jewish people. Homosexuals, political dissidents, Sinti and Roma,” he quietly says. “Millions and millions …”
Little Gene and his mother around 1950 in Israel. After her divorce, Flora Witz (born in 1925) moved to the US with her son in 1958
Little Gene and his mother around 1950 in Israel. After her divorce, Flora Witz (born in 1925) moved to the US with her son in 1958
Foto: genesimmons/Instagram

BILD am Sonntag searched for files about Flora Klein in several archives. With the rock star’s permission, we also read a file of the former Restitution Office in Koblenz. This discovery is a touching historical document. The file is written in sober words, addressed to a German government agency. After the war, Flora Klein (later married, surname Witz), applied for financial compensation for the suffering she experienced under the NS dictatorship. “Prior to the beginning of the persecutions, I was living in Budapest, at no. 5 Kemeny-Zsigmond-Gasse. As of March 1944, I – like all Jews in Budapest – had to wear a yellow Jewish badge on my chest at the behest of the German authorities. I was not allowed to leave my apartment without this badge for Jews. I had to abide by the prescribed curfew and was not allowed to leave the city. Violating these provisions was severely punished. In May 1944, I was assigned to the ‘Yellow House’ in Sziget-Strasse and had to continue to wear the badge for Jews.”

In a second statement to the office, Flora Klein wrote: “In November 1944, I was brought to the Ravensbrück concentration camp. I lived there in block no. 21 and worked in the fields, gathering potatoes outside the camp. I wore old civilian clothes with a white oil (paint) cross painted on the back, in a camp surrounded by barbed wire and guarded by the SS.”

In Ravensbrück, the young woman with dark hair became a number under the Nazi’s terror regime: concentration camp number 85570. Following her transfer from Ravensbrück, she received the prisoner’s number 621010.

Simmons, whose real first name is Chaim (Hebrew for “life”, like his murdered grandfather’s first name) is known as a stage demon. He often looks at individual pages for minutes. “She was strong,” he says. “She fought all of this on her own.”
Following the war, Flora Witz described her persecution by the Nazis in an application for restitution. As of March 1944, she had to wear the so-called yellow Jewish badge on her chest at the behest o
Following the war, Flora Witz described her persecution by the Nazis in an application for restitution. As of March 1944, she had to wear the so-called yellow Jewish badge on her chest at the behest of the GermansFoto: Privat

Details about her life move him to tears. On 15 January 1945, Flora Klein was transferred from the Ravensbrück concentration camp to the Venusberg subcamp of the Flossenbürg concentration camp (southeast of Chemnitz). Following a terrible transport in overcrowded wagons, and partly on foot, during which many fellow prisoners died, she arrived at the Mauthausen concentration camp in March 1945. This was the last big concentration camp to be reached and liberated by units of the 11th Armoured Division (Third United States Army), just a few days before the end of the war. Later, in her sworn statement to the Restitution Office, Flora Klein recalled: “There I lived in a tent and wore the same old civilian clothes with an inmate number. The camp was surrounded by an electric barbed wire fence and guarded by the SS. Here I was liberated on 5 May 1945.”

Towards the end of her account, Flora Klein wrote: “I lost my parents and my brother because of the persecutions.”
Without a mask: Gene Simmons inspects the folder with the documents about his mother’s persecution during the Nazi time. His grandparents and one uncle were murdered by Hitler’s henchmen
Without a mask: Gene Simmons inspects the folder with the documents about his mother’s persecution during the Nazi time. His grandparents and one uncle were murdered by Hitler’s henchmenFoto: Wolf Lux

It is only after a four-year long battle that the Restitution Office grants her a compensation in December 1959. The sum is 1,950 D-marks for “13 months. 150 marks for each full month in the camps,” it says in the document (file number 22396/59).

Gene Simmons carries on his mother’s legacy. He calls for vigilance. “If somebody says that all of this was in the past – that’s not true. It was yesterday. It all happened just now. When you see what recently happened at many elections, that’s not good.”
This paper shows: Flora Klein got only 1950 Deutsch-Mark in relation to her torture in die concentration camps for 13 month
This paper shows: Flora Klein only received 1950 Deutsch-Marks to compensate her torture in the concentration camps for 13 monthFoto: Amt für Wiedergutmachung

The tough rock star has to fight back tears. His finger points at a different name. “That’s my grandmother, Ester Blau. My mother told me that they drove the old people into the gas chambers first. My mother spoke of her last conversation with her mother. They touched each other’s hand, and then – gas chamber.”

The singer remains silent. Then he continues: “My mother told me why she had survived. When she was a 12-year old girl, she came to a hairdresser and learned how to cut hair. The SS commander’s wife needed someone to do her hair. She asked several girls: ‘Do you speak German?’ The girls raised their hands and said ‘Yes’. Whoever raised their hand was sent to the gas chamber”. The KISS band leader (100 million records sold) recounts: “My mother spoke a little German, but she didn’t say so. That was the reason for why she was chosen. When she was doing the hair, the commander’s wife thought she wouldn’t understand anything. But she did.”

Is he worried about recent developments? Simmons: “It can happen again and again. That’s why you have to talk about everything. When Jews are advised to no longer wear the kippa on the streets. At least this is being addressed. The same applies to the Muslims. As long as you talk about things, there is a chance. When you see cockroaches in the kitchen, you must point the light at them so you can see them clearly. And you must drive them out of the light.”
Gene Simmons with his beloved mother Flora, towards the end of the 1970s. She came from a Jewish family in Hungary and was liberated from the Mauthausen concentration camp 75 years ago. He posted this
Gene Simmons with his beloved mother Flora, towards the end of the 1970s. She came from a Jewish family in Hungary and was liberated from the Mauthausen concentration camp 75 years ago. He posted this picture in December 2018, three days after her death, writing: “The best mother in the world”Foto: Corbis/VCG via Getty Images

75 years ago, the release documents of Gene Simmons’ mother were typed in dark ink on a simple sheet of paper with an American field typewriter. Following the liberation, Flora Klein was admitted to the 130th Evacuation Hospital near Mauthausen. Diagnosis: malnutrition. “Till the end, she always gave me an apple or something else to eat when I visited her”.

When Flora Klein had recovered after weeks in the hospital, she went back to Hungary. In 1946, she married the carpenter Jechiel Witz. In 1947, she emigrated to Israel on board the St. Antonia. They lived in Haifa. The marriage only lasted for a few years. Gene Simmons (born in 1949) remains her only son. Impoverished, she moved to New York with him in 1958. A letter by an Israeli office from 1957 states that she had been divorced for one and a half years, that she has an eight-year old child and that she, working as a cleaning woman in a café, has no wealth at all.

Gene Simmons became an international star, earning millions. He also did this for his mother.

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2020 2:26 pm 

^^^Nice story!

...and...

75 years ago, the great Keith Jarrett was born

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25