Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: College Degrees?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:46 pm 

Anyone here have a college degree? I don't.....so I got one of these lol.........http://www.DegreeInLife.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:49 pm 

Wind up working in a gas station... That is what you get with higher education...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:54 pm 

Thats what I've heard from so many people...I wonder if the government gets a part of college tuition

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:56 pm 

I'm very surprised to find out that no one in my corner of the eowrld who is under 30 knows that was once something called "The Watts Riots." And that much of it even happened on TV. I tells them, Imagine the Rodney King Riot as a picnic. This is all news to them. They never hrsda bout this -- and these are all people who live within the urban coastal swath that LA takes most of.

We don't have higher education for most people -- we don't even have high education for older teen who we're just about to try to con into going intpo the miltary and getting their asses shot off. And wer got a C-minus pResident.

Around 1970 the GI Gen that gavd us Boomers our cheap higher education decided we weren;t serving them right with it, so they pullwed the plug on higher education. They also stopped looking for empllyees who had been taught critical thinking skills in college. It was a real sense of "payback" for (ass Charles Ives put it) "not worshipping in the garden in THEIR (the owners') way."

The old GIU Genners thought it was real real fukkin' funny when TIME ran a pic of a gollege grad (in mortarboard and gown) at his car wondering what his future would be -- the next issue had a spate of letters from them gloating over how they had repaid their kids for not doin' 'em right.

I need abnother drink, and certzainly another pair of glasses!

Post subject: Re: College Degrees?
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:06 am 

IWU Grad Shares Award-Winning Zappa Research On 'What's On Your Turntable'
https://www.wglt.org/post/iwu-grad-shares-award-winning-zappa-research-whats-your-turntable#stream/0

By Jon Norton • Jun 10, 2019

Recent Illinois Wesleyan grad Brandon Chopp picked up the Phi Beta Kappa Liberal Arts Scholar Award at the Bloomington school for his senior thesis on the late 1960s musical output of provocative songwriter Frank Zappa.

The history major and Hispanic studies minor wanted to analyze how Zappa used lyrics and music to critique and skewer American conformity during the period.

We were fortunate that Chopp also answered our frequent call to tell us What’s on Your Turntable?, utilizing his research and Zappa albums to give an audio synopsis of his paper.

In the audio you can hear below by clicking the play button, Chopp focused on Zappa’s “Freakout,” “Absolutely Free,” and “We’re Only in it for the Money” albums.

Post subject: Re: College Degrees?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:51 am 

Bach of Kidding in Eddie :mrgreen: