Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zappa Hologram Tour
PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:57 am 

Jaminbenb wrote:
I got to see the Wilkes-Barre show also, and was totally amazed! I NEVER thought I'd ever see these musicians on the same stage playing that music, so to me this was a sort of dream-come-true-bucket-list kind of show!

I'm sort of annoyed at how a lot of people seem to think that "Frank would not have wanted this" or "This is wrong" but hey, the video/hologram stuff is a bit cheezy, but the musicians on stage are legit, and playing their asses off!

Thunes looks like he's an investment banker in his garage on the weekend, but playing his ass off! I've only seen video of him, and watched him a lot last night, he plays some wild stuff!

You really shouldn't be annoyed at people not wanting this. I think they feared it would be a disgrace in some way to have someone assume that they could reincarnate Frank and simulate a real live Zappa show. That was my main worry. Forgive me , but at times Ahmet seems over zealous , and while a hologram of Frank Zappa is exciting to him....it points up the idea that No one could ever second guess Frank Zappa,and no one could even accurately "fake" a Zappa show on all levels.

So, at first even I said ,"This should not be done...",and by that I meant a "hologram show made to simulate Frank Zappa live" would be a failure. When I saw that it was going on in any case.....well, I had to see if it was done "correctly"....as in "just a tribute" and not a "replacement" for Frank. Now after seeing it....I guess it was a sort of success? It was just made as a wild tribute using new technology. But even with the great set of musicians on board,...it was a nice show, with more accent on the lyrical end (in his eccentric ,wild mind, vein …), but as a person who saw him "in life" it's still a "tribute", and a bit one-sided too. I was very entertained ,...and I was amazed at the musician's skill in somehow playing with a hologram.

In fairness , no one can simulate the real Frank Zappa....not his sons , his past side musicians, or fans (new or old). So ,as Ahmet's take on his father's music ….I can say it was a real success. He lives his whole life inspired by his father's wild sense of humor and wide-open stream-of-thought mind-set. Great for him! I say "thanks for the fun show! " But ,as I've said....the Ed Palermo Big Band has the WAZOO-ness down pat, DWEEZIL has the guitar angle in his genes, Project Object has the other musicians and singers in a cool tribute show, and the GRANDMOTHERS are the original crew doing their best. They all should exist to showcase all the great angles of Frank's amazing mind and music. BUT for those of you who never saw him in "life" ,he was all those bands in one human being! Think about that before you get mad at the "super serious" fans.

You've got to forgive the "purists" for not believing in the "un-do-able" idea that all angles of Frank could be simulated,...somehow. :)

Last edited by penguini on Sat May 04, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 9:58 am 

Merch booth, Baltimore. Looks cool. Zappa Uncle Sam shirt!

Nordegg on duty.

C'mon west coast dates!

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 10:03 am 

coevad wrote:
Merch booth, Baltimore. Looks cool. Zappa Uncle Sam shirt!

God! I REALLY wanted shirts "H' , "I" , and "J" (look at the little paper tabs in the photo)! But I could only afford one. ARRGH!

LOVE the "infrared face " one , and the old "Bizarre records logo"....damn!!! :cry:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 1:55 pm 

Thanks for posting merch pics!

Whenever they play here, I'm definitely buying the blue & white trucker hat and D t-shirt! 8)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:01 am 

coevad wrote:
Nordegg on duty.
8)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 11:46 am 

^Nice photo!

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 12:18 am 

"It Blew My Mind!" The Bizarre World of Frank Zappa LIVE! at the Count Basie Center

https://www.newjerseystage.com/articles ... ie-center/

^^ Lots of nice pic's ^^

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:30 am 

I'm chomping at the bit, at this rate the LA show could be loaded with Special guests

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 11:51 pm 

Plook wrote:
I'm chomping at the bit, at this rate the LA show could be loaded with Special guests

Have you got the magic ticket(s)?

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:15 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Plook wrote:

As soon as they hit, I will pick...actually KU and I have an oath to go to LA... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:03 am 

Plook wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
Plook wrote:

As soon as they hit, I will pick...actually KU and I have an oath to go to LA... :smoke:

Excellent!

There's not enough oaths these days.....

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:37 am 

Ken Oath?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:44 am 

Check out the politics practiced by this oath... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 7:51 am 

polydigm wrote:
Ken Oath?

Daryl Hall and John Oathes.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:32 am 

Arlo Oathrie... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 3:36 pm 

Oath Hey Can You Thee.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 5:58 am 

Just in case: in Australia, kenoath is short for fucking oath.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 6:37 am 

That makes my Quaker Oath's

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 10:07 am 

the apostrophe shows oathnership!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2019 2:59 pm 

this Hologram Tour reminds me of a modern Oathello

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:31 am 

Five things we learned from last night's Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa show

By Jerry Ewing 17 hours ago

The good and the not so good from the Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa hologram show at the London Palladium

So we went to see The Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa show at the London Palladium last night, the much-talked about 'hologram' tour that has drawn as much ire from some quarters as it has anticipation from others.

On stage, a crack band of Zappa alumni including musical director Mike Keneally, drummer Joe Travers, bassist Scott Thumes, guitarist Ray White, and multi-instrumentalists Robert Martin and Ed Mann treated a packed crowd that included the likes of Steven Wilson, Nick Beggs, Dave Gregory, Charlie Cawood, Carl Palmer, Josh Perl and Billy Bragg, to a set that featured some of Zappa's best known tunes including Cosmik Debris, Penguin In Bondage, Zomby Woof and Peaches En Regalia.

So what did we learn?

1. It's not strictly a hologram show

Sure, there's a hologram type image of Frank that crops up throughout the performance, but in reality the show is more a multi-media experience, made of animation, claymation and a myriad of other visual effects. The hologram image of Frank appears only four times throughout the two hour performance.

2. Seeing a hologram of Frank is weird

When the Zappa hologram image appears, centre stage, framed within a device that obviously 'brings it to 3D-life' at the start in Cosmik Debris, you're taken aback. He's not quite as big as the other musicians on stage, set back further, and there's no interaction. But when he sings in that distinctive and rich deep voice, and cuts loose on the guitar, it has quite an effect on the audience. But the end of the set, as he bids farewell in Camarillo Brillo you're quite used to seeing him.

3. It enhances your appreciation of Zappa's music

I'm a fan of Frank's music. But not a Zappa diehard. Perhaps had this been Bon Scott with AC/DC I may have baulked at attending. Neither was I particularly keen on the idea of the Dio hologram tour idea. But going to review this show I found I enjoyed the whole thing tremendously. And given constant shifts on both technology and society, I wouldn't bet against this kind of event becoming the norm in the future.

4. Not everyone enjoyed it

From cautious early applause to the standing ovation at the end, you'd have to say the show was a winner. We could have done without Ahmet and sister Diva larking around between the set and encore, even if it was Ahmet's birthday. But they're the keepers of the Zappa kingdom these days... And Steven Wilson reported to us at the interval that an angry punter seated near him was making his feelings well known. 'That's not Frank Zappa', was one loudly spluttered criticism among many we were told. Which begs the question, as with those who go to see Opeth and shout 'Play some metal', why bother going in the first place?

5. Frank would've probably loved it

Ahmet is quick to point out to that in the current issue of Prog that Frank predicted this kind of thing in The Real Frank Zappa Book (chapter 18, if you want to find out). And the one overriding thought we were left with at the end was simply 'Frank would've probably loved all this'.

Frank Zappa is on the cover of the latest issue of Prog which is on sale in newsagents now. Or you can buy it online.

https://www.loudersound.com/features/fi ... zappa-show

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:11 am 

no imagination some of the people here....who wants to see freeze dried versions of zappas music with a sentimental edge....what...lets take it up a notch...lets created a multimedia presentation that uses hologram tech...not just of frank but anything is zappas vision that you want to project....its not tupac frank phasing in and out...in some love the image tour...it a spectacular....new horizons...some of you got froze over in the last ice age...thaw out you wooley mamouths...get with the program....if it works ol dweezil will whip along with his tail between his legs...

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:13 am 

BUT..if you cant come to australia you can go fuck yourselves...from up over

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 4:27 pm 

metal rat wrote:

Thanks for the input, dipshit! Now go back into your metal rat hole. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 3:10 am 

KUIII wrote:
metal rat wrote:

Thanks for the input, dipshit! Now go back into your metal rat hole. :roll:

Awww ,just give the guy a break! He wants to see the show too.

I'd bet these are just test shows,....and if it goes well more will come , metal rat.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 608 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25  Next