Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:44 pm 

Daniel Bryan Issues Comments On Brie Bella Injuring Liv Morgan, Brie Being Bullied Online, Yes Kicks

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2018/10/daniel-bryan-issues-comments-on-brie-bella-injuring-liv-646328/

Daniel Bryan took to Twitter today and defended wife Brie Bella over the recent in-ring incident with Liv Morgan, claiming she's been the victim of cyber-bulling.

As noted, Liv is currently out of action with a concussion. She suffered the injury during last week's RAW while taking Yes Kicks from Brie. Bryan defended the accident and revealed a recent accident with Andrade "Cien" Almas on SmackDown.

Bryan wrote, "I am proud of how strong my wife is. After accidentally injuring Liv Morgan last week, the first time Bri's ever hurt another performer, she's been subject to a constant barrage of social media attacks. Almost every wrestler has accidentally hurt someone but rarely do you see this kind of hate when it happens. For example, I concussed Randy Orton in 2012 after hitting him with what was supposed to be a chair to the back. Unfortunately part of the side hit him in the back of the head, and he was forced to miss a PPV. In 2009 in our last match against each other, I concussed Nigel McGuinness after doing a dive into him in the crowd, where his head hit the floor. And there are others. As for the Yes kicks, two weeks ago I accidentally kicked Andrade directly in the head due to a miscommunication on my part. I feel fortunate that he was ok, because there are few feelings worse than hurting someone. Despite all of that, never did I receive the backlash Bri did this week. With all the negative things said about my wife, nobody was harder on her than she was on herself. Thank you to the many people who reached out to support her, both publicly and privately. We all wish Liv Morgan a speedy recovery. #EndCyberbullying"

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:29 am 

Man tackles pro wrestler Bret Hart during WWE Hall of Fame speech

A man rushed the stage and tackled pro wrestler Bret "The Hitman" Hart as he was speaking at the WWE Hall of Fame ceremony in New York on Saturday night.

The live broadcast cut out as Zachary Madsen, 26, jumped into the ring and grabbed Hart, 61, the NYPD said in a statement.

Various WWE superstars rushed to pull the man off during the event held at New York's Barclay Center, according to CNN affiliate WLNY.

They included wrestling stars Shane McMahon, Xavier Woods, Tyson Kidd and Curtis Axel, as well as UFC heavyweight and husband to Ronda Rousey, Travis Browne.

Security held the man down until police arrived and arrested him, but Madsen reportedly caused the guard minor injuries, according to the station.

Madsen faces two counts of third-degree assault, criminal trespass, and one other misdemeanor charge, according to NYPD. It said Hart was not transported to the hospital and continued on with his speech.

Wrestlemania, WWE's biggest event of the year, will take place at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey on Sunday night.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:00 am 

WWE should be taken to task for not having any security around the ring.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:49 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
WWE should be taken to task for not having any security around the ring.

I'd say they handled it themselves ok... :mrgreen:

Watch: Dash Wilder Punches Bret Hart's Attacker at WWE Hall of Fame Speech
https://twitter.com/i/status/1114690158983618560

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:32 am 

Should WWE Actually Be Worried About AEW?

https://deadspin.com/should-wwe-actually-be-worried-about-aew-1835132516

There’s panic in the streets of Stamford, Connecticut. Or, anyway, there’s a sense that change is coming for the famously change-averse WWE after a ten-day period that could signal the start of a new era in professional wrestling. All it took to rattle WWE was for a new promotion—in this case, All Elite Wrestling—to have a dazzling debut show that was different enough from the WWE norm in ways that couldn’t help but stand out.

AEW’s debut show, Double or Nothing, was one of the very best shows of the year, and peaked with the outlandish debut of Jon Moxley, who previously wrestled in WWE as Dean Ambrose. With that kind of legit star power in hand and as good a start as any promotion could have asked for now on the record, AEW seems to be in position to challenge WWE’s monopolistic hold on North American wrestling, although whether they will manage that feat or not is hard to know right now. But WWE sure seems to be worried about it, and that might be just as important as whatever happens next.

Moxley jumping from WWE to AEW is the biggest story in wrestling right now. A former world champion and an obscenely popular wrestler escaping the WWE bubble for the indies would be one thing, and a big story on its own. But all reports point to Moxley being on a full-time, multi-year contract with AEW; that deal will apparently let him wrestle for other promotions outside of the US, and he already has a United States title match in New Japan Pro Wrestling scheduled for this week’s Best of the Super Juniors final. Moxley’s also booked for the next AEW streaming special, Fyter Fest, later this month. He will likely go into a program with Kenny Omega, after attacking him at the end of Double or Nothing. It’s hard to think of a more promising rivalry pairing than that anywhere in the sport.

Moxley brings some significant stuff both to the ring and to AEW, but his appearance on Chris Jericho’s podcast Talk Is Jericho might have altered pro wrestling’s landscape more than anything else. In a 90-minute interview, Moxley essentially buried WWE’s creative direction—something we’ve covered here recently—and pointed out a variety of instances when Vince McMahon pushed through a terrible idea over complaints from writers and performers. Moxley also says that his bad guy promos about real life friend Roman Reigns’s leukemia were pushed through by McMahon, despite Moxley’s initial refusal to bring it up on air. He was at least successful in cutting one particularly offensive line from the promo, which was bad enough that he wouldn’t even say it on the podcast.

The whole appearance is worth a listen, but the main takeaway is that every report, every rumor, every bit of speculation about the corroded, sludgy inner workings of WWE is vindicated. Trusted reporters have described the dire morale at WWE in the past, and loyalists have denied them. Those reports are a lot harder to dismiss when they’re coming from inside the house, though. In the same way that CM Punk’s podcast with Colt Cabana laid bare the medical hardships to which WWE subjects its performers, Moxley’s airing of grievances shines a spotlight on how wrestlers are crippled by one man’s tyrannical, oafish creative direction.

While Moxley leaving for AEW may not have the industry-shattering repercussions of Hulk Hogan or Bret Hart moving to WCW during the 1990s, AEW can now trot out two former WWE champions in Moxley and Chris Jericho, a former WWE golden child and his brother (Cody and Dustin Rhodes), as well as some of the top talent on the planet not signed to WWE—the Young Bucks and Kenny Omega are just the start, there. Their TNT TV deal, which will put AEW in as many households as Monday Night Raw starting in October, is another point in the new promotion’s favor. Backed by real money and seemingly strong wrestling fandom at the top, AEW is more than just another indie promotion. If the creative and in-ring performances continue to be at Double or Nothing levels, it could evolve into a real alternative to WWE, and the kind of challenge that McMahon hasn’t seen in a generation.

For now and for the foreseeable future, though, the reality is that WWE is still the top dog. They have a 35-year head start on AEW, and the successes of the Attitude Era bonded many fans to the promotion for life. That’s a good thing to have, but it also points to the problem facing WWE. The promotion hasn’t been pushed creatively by a rival since WCW’s dying days, and while one great show from one new rival won’t set WWE’s decision-makers off into a panic, there are a number of compelling reasons why they might be feeling some heat.

The first of those is one we’ve covered before: WWE’s talent really is unhappy, and Moxley has proven that there’s a decent alternative out there if they want to explore other ways of being a professional wrestler in 2019. After Double or Nothing, Wrestling Observer’s Dave Meltzer reported that a handful of wrestlers in WWE have inquired about getting out of their contracts; Meltzer does not link this directly with the success of Double or Nothing, but the timing fits. Given how draconian WWE contracts are, there’s a decent chance that nothing comes of this. As Meltzer also points out, there is job security in staying with the monopoly:

But most people are signed to three-year deals and top people are signed up even longer. And some may not be ready to risk the sure thing since in WWE if you have a job these days you almost never get fired.

Perhaps more worrying in the short-term is the fact that WWE’s stock price has tanked ever since it hit a peak of $99.25 following the announcement of the Fox TV deal to move SmackDown to network television. While the current price ($74.29) is still higher than it was before the deal, the momentum from the Fox announcement has petered all the way out.

WWE seems to have noticed. The company announced two wildly different moves recently, both of which have a strong whiff of desperation about them. First, they announced that Brock Lesnar would be on Monday’s show to cash in his Money in the Bank briefcase against Seth Rollins; then they revealed that an NXT TakeOver show will take place in the United Kingdom on August 31... on the same day as both a New Japan UK show that has long been in the works and to which thousands of tickets have already been sold and AEW’s All In 2: All Out In Chicago.

The Lesnar gambit is not out of the ordinary for WWE; they often announce bigger part-time names ahead of time to get eyeballs on the shows. Lesnar is essentially a “break glass in case of emergency” option for the company now, and using one of his expensive dates on an otherwise ordinary Monday sure looks like ratings thirst at its finest. The UK show is more difficult to figure out. The feeling is that WWE is basically trying to stick it to New Japan and AEW, though they might have even botched that. August 31 is the day of Wales vs. Ireland in a Rugby World Cup warm-up, and that will likely soak up a big portion of British attention. WWE apparently also tried some light corporate espionage in assessing the New Japan show’s ticketing situation, only to get it wrong.

These moves, along with the portraits of internal discontent laid out by both Moxley and Meltzer, point to WWE being in its most precarious position in decades. It’s unlikely that any of this leads to a Monday Night Wars redux, but a successful, well-funded, and beloved competitor could at least force WWE to reckon with the stagnation that has set in during recent years. Vince McMahon has traditionally not responded well to criticism, but something that impact his promotion’s bottom line might be just the thing to get him to change things up. Either that, or they will just keep doing Saudi Arabia shows until their coffers are competitor-resistant.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:52 am 

Stephanie McMahon on AEW, Future WrestleMania Locations, More in WWE Roundup
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2842211-stephanie-mcmahon-on-aew-future-wrestlemania-locations-more-in-wwe-roundup
Mike Chiari
June 21, 2019

Stephanie McMahon Comments on AEW

WWE has largely avoided mentioning All Elite Wrestling since its inception in January, but WWE Chief Brand Officer Stephanie McMahon commented on the upstart company Friday.

When asked about AEW in an interview with WrestlingNews.co, McMahon offered a positive outlook:

"You know, I think it's going to force everybody to be the best that they can," McMahon said.

AEW's debut pay-per-view, Double or Nothing, was heralded as a major success last month, and there is a great deal of excitement surrounding the All Out pay-per-view on Aug. 31, which will see AEW crown its first world champion and will also feature Jon Moxley vs. Kenny Omega.

With AEW set to debut a weekly television show on TNT later this year, AEW may be WWE's biggest competition since the closure of WCW in 2001.

The Attitude Era is considered by many to be the best time in wrestling, and the catalyst for it was the weekly competition between WWE and WCW, which later became known as the Monday Night War.

WCW beat WWE in the ratings for 83 weeks until WWE pulled ahead and eventually bought the company. AEW hasn't even debuted its weekly programming yet, but there is plenty of hope that it can push WWE to strive to be better, which would make the wrestling landscape as a whole far more enjoyable.

London Reportedly Under Consideration for Future WrestleMania

WWE is reportedly considering the possibility of holding WrestleMania outside of North America for the first time.

According to Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter (h/t Marc Middleton of WrestlingInc.com), WWE issued a marketing study on possible future WrestleMania locations, and London was on the list.

Other cities listed were Chicago, Las Vegas, Houston, Dallas, Philadelphia, Toronto, Santa Clara, California; Jacksonville, Florida; Miami; Orlando, Florida and Tampa, Florida.

Los Angeles was not listed, but Meltzer noted that WrestleMania 37 in 2021 or WrestleMania 38 in 2022 is expected to be held at Los Angeles Stadium at Hollywood Park in nearby Inglewood, California. WrestleMania 36 is already scheduled for Tampa next year.

There has long been talk about WWE going overseas for WrestleMania due to the rabid wrestling fanbase in the United Kingdom, but logistical issues are considered the biggest sticking point since WWE would likely be forced to air WrestleMania during the day in the United States if it is held in London.

WWE does have some experience holding a big event in London, as SummerSlam 1992 emanated from Wembley Stadium in London with over 80,000 people in attendance.

Wembley and the brand new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium are likely the top candidates to host WrestleMania if WWE does decide to hold it in London.

Nikki Bella Speaks on Health Following Retirement

Nikki Bella provided a health update Friday after confirming her in-ring retirement Wednesday on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.

During her appearance on The Tonight Show, Nikki said that a herniated disc and a brain cyst essentially forced her into retirement:

"I herniated the disc above where I had surgery, I have all this inflammation around the metal, and then I have a cyst on my brain," Nikki said. "So, they were like, 'You're done, no more, you're out.' So, I didn't get a choice, which sucks."

In an interview with TMZ Sports, Nikki offered a somewhat positive update by noting that the cyst on her brain is benign:

"I'm bummed. It's something that, like...I think sometimes people don't see me competing in the ring and they never understand why, but it's because I can't compete. Brie and I really wanted to go back for the tag titles and be a part of the women's tag team division. It's such a cool time for women in WWE, but unfortunately because of my neck, and then they found a cyst on my brain, which thank God it's benign."

Nikki has been outspoken lately about the desire she and her sister, Brie Bella, had to return to WWE in an effort to vie for the Women's Tag Team Championships.

Neither of them have wrestled since October 2018, and the final match of Nikki's career as things currently stand was a loss to Ronda Rousey in the main event of Evolution, which was the first all-women's pay-per-view in WWE history.

While Nikki is not cleared to compete in the ring, she is still a significant part of WWE due to her place on the E! reality television series Total Divas and Total Bellas.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:47 am 

WWE star Jeff Hardy arrested for public intoxication
By Michelle Lou and Artemis Moshtaghian, CNN
Updated 1:38 PM ET, Sun July 14, 2019
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/14/entertainment/jeff-hardy-arrest-trnd/index.html

(CNN)World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) star Jeff Hardy was arrested for public intoxication Saturday in South Carolina, police said.

Police said they received a report of an intoxicated person in Myrtle Beach about 11 a.m. Shortly after, authorities arrested Hardy without incident and charged him with public intoxication.

Hardy posted a $153 bond and was released the same day.

The 41-year-old, half of the wrestling duo Hardy Boyz, pleaded guilty last year to drunk driving in North Carolina. He was mandated to 48 hours of community service and alcohol counseling, in addition to paying a $300 fine and turning over his license, CNN affiliate WBTV reported.

The veteran wrestler is a nine-time tag team champion in WWE with his brother Matt.

Hardy injured his right knee earlier this year and underwent surgery in May, WWE said.

Hardy said in May that he didn't expect to return to action for six to nine months.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:32 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:52 pm 

Ah, The Yeti. Also known as Super Giant Ninja and Reese.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:55 am 

Piledriver: Pro wrestling world mourns death of legendary Harley Race
Byron Robinson, Montgomery Advertiser Published 2:31 p.m. CT Aug. 3, 2019 | Updated 2:31 p.m. CT Aug. 3, 2019

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/sports/2019/08/03/piledriver-pro-wrestling-world-mourns-death-legendary-harley-race/1910840001/

The pro wrestling industry lost one of the all-time greats this week, when Harley Race died Thursday of lung cancer at the age of 76.

During his 31-year in-ring career (1960-1991), he was an eight-time National Wrestling Alliance world heavyweight champion, a one-time World Wrestling Association world heavyweight champion, a three-time American Wrestling Association tag team champion with Larry Hennig and was the first NWA United States champion.

During his NWA run from 1970-1984, Race had marquee matches with greats like Dory Funk Jr., Terry Funk, Jack Brisco, Dusty Rhodes, Dick The Bruiser, Pat Patterson, Angelo Poffo, The Sheik, Nick Bockwinkel, Ric Flair, Andre The Giant, “Superstar” Billy Graham and Bob Backlund.

Then Race moved to the WWE in 1986, winning the “King of the Ring” tournament and referred to himself as “King” Harley Race, managed by the legendary Bobby “The Brain” Heenan.

Race had a match against Junkyard Dog at “WrestleMania III” at the Pontiac Silverdome.

Race moved to World Championship Wrestling in 1990 and ended his in-ring career late that year and transitioned to a managerial role.

From 1991 to 1995 in WCW, Race managed wrestlers like Big Van Vader, Super Invader, Vinnie Vegas (Kevin Nash) and The Colossal Kongs.

In 1999, Race started an independent promotion, World League Wrestling, and ran shows in Missouri for the past 10 years.

Race is one of six men to have been inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame, NWA Hall of Fame, Professional Wrestling Hall of Fame and the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:21 pm 

Kevin Owens Beats Shane McMahon at WWE SummerSlam 2019; Keeps His Job

Mike ChiariAugust 11, 2019
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2847861-kevin-owens-beats-shane-mcmahon-at-wwe-summerslam-2019-keeps-his-job

Kevin Owens defeated Shane McMahon at SummerSlam on Sunday, which means The Prizefighter does not have to quit WWE.

Even with Elias in his corner as the special enforcer, Shane-O-Mac still couldn't overcome Owens.

KO teased hitting McMahon with a steel chair, but the referee warned him he would be disqualified. After handing the chair to the official, he kicked the former SmackDown Live commissioner below the belt and delivered a Stunner for the win.

Owens and McMahon have been at odds for the past several weeks since KO took a stand against Shane-O-Mac and for those in the locker room who have been slighted due to the immense amount of television time the WWE executive has garnered in recent months.

KO has taken to using the Stunner as his finishing move, and since he is feuding with an authority figure, there have been shades of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin against Vince McMahon, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Many of the classic wrestling boss vs. employee tropes played out during a build toward SummerSlam, and it aided Owens in generating a groundswell of support.

McMahon attempted to ban KO from the building on some occasions, only for the Canadian to find his way in and lay his opponent out with a Stunner. Boy Wonder also tried to stack the odds against Owens several times and laid traps that saw him get attacked by the likes of Drew McIntyre and Elias.

KO grew tired with McMahon's antics to the point that he decided to put everything on the line to ensure he would be given the opportunity to teach him a lesson at SummerSlam.

The chance to chase his chief rival out of WWE was too valuable for McMahon to turn down, so he agreed to the match with the stipulation that KO would be forced to leave the company in the event of a loss.

McMahon also pointed out Owens "quit" the company last year only to return shortly thereafter. KO conceded he didn't take accountability in the past, but he insisted he was a changed person who would live up to his word if need be.

Sunday's match was the second singles meeting between Owens and McMahon, with the previous bout taking place at Hell in a Cell 2017. KO won then with help from Sami Zayn, but the face-heel roles were reversed at SummerSlam.

That change made for a fresh and heated match, and the added stipulation of Owens possibly quitting had the fans invested.

With Owens getting one up on McMahon at SummerSlam, not only is he in WWE to stay, but he may also find himself in the world-title hunt soon given how popular he has become as a babyface.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:04 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:11 pm 

Rousey nearly loses finger while filming TV show

Ronda Rousey was most recently involved in pro wrestling, but there was nothing staged about this.

The former UFC and WWE champion nearly lost her middle finger recently while filming the Fox show "9-1-1," she posted Tuesday on Instagram. The post was accompanied by a gruesome photo showing a part of the bloody finger hanging off.

Rousey wrote that a boat door fell on her hand during a take. She said she went through the take without even looking at her finger. Once she looked, she told the director and was rushed to the hospital.

"I know it sounds crazy, but I'm used to live audiences and never showing pain unless I'm supposed to," Rousey wrote.

At the hospital, doctors reattached the bone and tendon with plates and screws, she wrote. Rousey wrote that she was back at filming the next day and finished her scenes before heading home for recovery. She said she had 50% of her range of motion back in three days.

"Modern medicine amazes me," Rousey wrote.

Rousey, 32, stepped away from WWE after WrestleMania in April to focus on starting a family with her husband Travis Browne, also a former UFC fighter. It's unclear if she will return to WWE, but she remains under contract with the pro wrestling promotion.

Rousey has not fought in the UFC since December 2016, but has never actually said she is retired, although a comeback seems like a longshot after two straight knockout losses.

In the UFC, Rousey was once one of the promotion's most dominant champions and biggest crossover stars. She held the UFC women's bantamweight title from 2013 to 2015 and at one point won four straight fights in under 66 seconds.

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/27428063/rousey-nearly-loses-finger-filming-tv-show

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:26 am 

Jon Moxley Will Miss AEW’s All Out Due To Injury [Updated]
Brandon Stroud
Pro Wrestling Editor
https://uproxx.com/prowrestling/jon-moxley-injury-aew-all-out-mrsa-staph-infection/2/

A tough break for one of All Elite Wrestling‘s biggest stars as Jon Moxley has been forced to pull out of his upcoming match against Kenny Omega at AEW’s All Out on August 31.

Moxley responded to online rumor and conjecture about his injury on social media on Friday afternoon, saying he’d rather it come “directly from” him. He also clarified that while his infection will cause him to miss All Out, he’s expected to be cleared and ready to go when AEW starts up on TNT in October.

Jon Moxley

@JonMoxley

I'm absolutely gutted to have to deliver this news but I'd rather it come directly from me. In a nightmare scenario, a serious case of MRSA has returned in my elbow. The timing couldn't be worse. In this circumstance I am forced to pull out of the fight 8/31 vs Omega at All Out .
1:58 PM - Aug 23, 2019

Jon Moxley

@JonMoxley

I apologize to all involved, most importantly the fans. I am incredibly frustrated and pissed off. I'll have surgery this week to remove the bursa sac in my elbow and be done with it for good. Should be a quick recovery so I will be 100% for AEW Wednesday nights on TNT.

2:05 PM - Aug 23, 2019

Jon Moxley

@JonMoxley

Still, I expect All out to be an amazing ppv and hope all the fans out there looking for an alternative tune in. You will be blown away by AEW and be excited to be a wrestling fan. I'm looking forward to watching as a fan myself
2:11 PM - Aug 23, 2019

Jon Moxley

@JonMoxley

This fucking sucks.
2:11 PM - Aug 23, 2019

We wish Mox a quick recovery, and will keep you updated on any replacement opponents who may step in to fill his shoes against the Best Bout Machine at the end of the month.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:03 pm 

AEW Full Gear card: Jon Moxley vs. Kenny Omega match rescheduled for PPV in Baltimore
After missing their All Out date, Moxley and Omega will clash in Baltimore
Brent Brookhouse 57 mins ago
https://www.cbssports.com/wwe/news/aew-full-gear-card-jon-moxley-vs-kenny-omega-match-rescheduled-for-ppv-in-baltimore/

After a case of MRSA led an "absolutely gutted" Jon Moxley to pull out of his scheduled AEW All Out match with Kenny Omega, the two are now set to clash at the promotion's Full Gear pay-per-view on Nov. 9 at the Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore. The match has been brewing since Moxley made his shocking debut for All Elite Wrestling very shortly after his departure from WWE at Double or Nothing and attacked Omega to cap off the promotion's debut PPV event.

Omega got revenge with his own attack on Moxley at AEW's Fyter Fest event in June, and the two were set to meet on this past weekend's pay-per-view event from the Chicago suburbs before the former WWE superstar was forced to pull out of the match after contracting the infection in his elbow. Fans were treated to a great Omega showing, regardless, as the former IWGP heavyweight champion went one-on-one with PAC in a thriller, dropping the match to the former WWE cruiserweight champion. But the bout was missing the storyline elements that had fans so excited for the Omega vs. Moxley matchup.

The setback may have made things better, however, because Omega cut one of the best promos of his career on "Being the Elite" when he found out Moxley had withdrawn from the match. That promo, combined with AEW hitting the TNT airwaves on Oct. 2, could make an already huge match even bigger.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:10 am 

Kevin Owens has been fired
https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/kevin-owens-has-been-fired/

Shane McMahon fired Kevin Owens at the end of this week’s episode of WWE SmackDown Live.

After McMahon lost to Chad Gable in the King of the Ring semifinals, McMahon lost his temper with Kevin Owens. Owens served as the referee and ruled Gable the winner after Gable was able to force McMahon to tap out.

McMahon attacked Owens from behind and then announced that Owens is now fired.

A few months ago, we wrote about how this angle will lead to McMahon being phased out of storylines. I am told that is still the plan and the next phase of the angle will start when Owens returns.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:09 am 

Right now? Well, I guess that's gonna have to be Jesse "The Body" Ventura. 8)

Perhaps, when you peruse your presidential ballot, you are not happy to be limited to only one WWE hall of famer to choose from. Maybe you aspire to carefully consider multiple inductees into the real hall of fame for a fake sport. If so, your wish may soon be granted, because former wrestler and Minnesota governor Jesse "The Body" Ventura is thinking about running for president in 2020 as an independent.

Ventura does not much care for his fellow WWE hall of famer Donald Trump, and is particularly upset by the trade wars and by the President's avoidance of service in Vietnam. The Body believes that it is essential that he run, to keep the Donald from being reelected. Appearing on a local Fox station, Ventura said: "If I do it, Trump will not have a chance. He knows he can never out-talk a wrestler, and he knows I'm the greatest talker wrestling's ever had."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:51 am 

WWE SmackDown: Kevin Owens Gets Shane McMahon Fired by Winning Ladder Match
By Ryan Droste - October 4, 2019 09:15 pm EDT
https://comicbook.com/wwe/2019/10/04/wwe-smackdown-kevin-owens-beats-shane-mcmahon-fired-ladder-match/

Shane McMahon's reign of terror over the Blue Brand was finally brought to an end this week, as Kevin Owens defeated "Shane-O-Mac" during Friday Night SmackDown's premiere on FOX in a ladder match to force him out of the company. Owens won the match after he gave McMahon a powerbomb into a ladder in the corner.

After the match, as per the conditions of the match, Owens brought McMahon to center ring and said "you're fired" and followed that up with a Stunner.

The story of McMahon's heel run can be traced all the way back to the Crown Jewel event in November 2018, when he inserted himself in the finals of the World Cup tournament for an injured Miz and defeated Dolph Ziggler to earn the title "The Best in the World." Miz then convinced McMahon to form an alliance, and eventually the two became SmackDown Tag Team Champions by defeating The Bar at the Royal Rumble. However the pair dropped the titles to The Usos just three weeks later, causing McMahon to turn on Miz and brutally attack both him and his father. Miz challenged McMahon to a series of matches over the next few months, starting at WrestleMania, but McMahon kept finding ways to win.

McMahon then recruited the likes of Drew McIntyre, Elias and The Revival to help with with rivalries, which resulted in him picking up a pinfall victory over Roman Reigns at Super ShowDown. Eventually Kevin Owens called McMahon out for constantly taking up airtime on SmackDown, turning himself babyface in the process. Owens beat McMahon at SummerSlam in a career-threatening match, but McMahon then held a $100,000 fine over Owens' head for attacking Elias (the special guest referee). McMahon then tried to fire Owens for not helping him win a King of the Ring tournament match against Chad Gable, but Owens turned around and hit him with a wrongful termination lawsuit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:22 am 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:07 am 

Reading the recap about the main event, I'm quite good with my decision to not watch wrestling anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:35 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Reading the recap about the main event, I'm quite good with my decision to not watch wrestling anymore.

I don't know if you can really judge it based on the opinions of others. I enjoyed the whole PPV quite a bit, and take no issue with the open ending. The ending was also one of the most violent and exciting things we've seen from WWE in a while. Wrestling is an ongoing story, I really don't see what the issue is here. Not like a PPV has never ended on a cliffhanger before...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:09 am 

cory1984 wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I don't know if you can really judge it based on the opinions of others. I enjoyed the whole PPV quite a bit, and take no issue with the open ending. The ending was also one of the most violent and exciting things we've seen from WWE in a while. Wrestling is an ongoing story, I really don't see what the issue is here. Not like a PPV has never ended on a cliffhanger before...

I don't watch any of the wrestling today. I try to look in once in a while, and it's just not for me anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:37 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
cory1984 wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I don't watch any of the wrestling today. I try to look in once in a while, and it's just not for me anymore.

I completely understand, it is nowhere near what it was at it height. I have taken long breaks from watching as well, like through most of the late 90s and early 2000s (Attitude Era). The PG era got me interested again, I can't stand all the super over the top soap opera BS. The New Era is what made me a regular watcher again. I feel like right now we're the closest we've been to the "classic" type wrestling that most of us love and miss. Where the focus is on the matches with some story lines to tie it all together.
Don't want you to feel like I was jumping on your post or anything, I definitely respect your opinion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:45 am 

The main event finish stunk... :roll:

Asuka uses the green mist now, and is a champion. I like that

Becky and Sasha put on a match of the year candidate 8)

DB and Roman vs LH and ER, was better than I expected.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:38 am 

NicHoLai wrote:
The main event finish stunk... :roll:

Asuka uses the green mist now, and is a champion. I like that

Becky and Sasha put on a match of the year candidate 8)

DB and Roman vs LH and ER, was better than I expected.

I think what seems to irk people the most about the main event is that there was a "referee stoppage" in no disqualifications match. Which I can definitely understand, I wasn't exactly thrilled about it either. However, Bray hadn't moved for quite a while, and his re-emergence from near death helps to push "The Fiend" character as an unhuman almost unstoppable force. Which is what the story line has been leaning toward. It wasn't a perfect match, but I've seen a lot worse that people were far less vocal about.

Asuka's green mist "poison fog" is fantastic! A throwback to older Japanese wrestling, she used it again on RAW this week and BL.

I completely agree with your assessment of the BL & SB match. Unfortunately it appears that Sasha got injured during the match, hopefully she'll recover quickly, really like her new attitude with the blue hair!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next