Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:42 pm 

Record Store Day on 13 April 2019 will see the reissue of The Guitar World According To Frank Zappa, the 1987 cassette-only compilation, on 180g clear audiophile vinyl re-mastered by Chris Bellman at Bernie Grundman Mastering.

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10855

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:45 pm 

I see there's a Breaking Bad soundtrack LP coming out, also on clear vinyl. Okay, "crystal clear," heh heh, but how could they not have made it blue?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:57 am 

We live in a great time to be a fan of Frank Zappa's music. I have FZ in NY on pre-order. I look forward to listening to Guitar World. I feel very lucky to have discovered Frank Zappa. I refuse to listen to the music until I purchase the record. I then listen to the vinyl with virgin ears. (I rarely 'get it' the first listen. Jazz From Hell took seven listens before it clicked.)

Will this RSD release be readily available? I don't want to wake up before dawn and wait in line. I don't see any of the past RSD releases sitting on record store shelves, which makes me nervous I'll miss out.

How quickly will this sell out?

Thank you for reading my post.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:54 am 

HitchHiker wrote:
Will this RSD release be readily available? I don't want to wake up before dawn and wait in line. I don't see any of the past RSD releases sitting on record store shelves, which makes me nervous I'll miss out.

How quickly will this sell out?

Thank you for reading my post.

It is an "RSD First" release, as opposed to an exclusive, so it should be given a general release at some point in the fuchum.

I still see copies of the Feeding the Monkies... LP on the shelves now and then.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:07 pm 

I'm not too sure I need this one? I have the old cassette....and most of it ended up on other releases. Hmmmm….?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:27 pm 

Never had the cassette. I of course have all the later CDs which contain these songs. Would like to have this on vinyl. Will either look for it locally on RSD 4/13, or maybe grab it at the Rochester 4/20 show. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:04 am 

All I hope is we get a digital download...24.96 please

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:14 am 

Ordered

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:35 am 

I'm hoping that people who don't buy vinyl will not get left out. They've paid the price of having it resurrected, so I imagine they'll make it available in other media to fully cash in.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:29 am 

polydigm wrote:
I'm hoping that people who don't buy vinyl will not get left out. They've paid the price of having it resurrected, so I imagine they'll make it available in other media to fully cash in.

Not sure if there's much point in releasing it other than for the collectors' value of the vinyl. Apart from the brief remixed "Revised Music" excerpt, it's all stuff that's now available on other CDs. It had rarity value when it was first released as a cassette, but now it's just another compilation.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:29 am 

I definitely don't need this release, but will be attempting to purchase it at my earliest opportunity.

Unfortunately the capital city of NZ is a record store wasteland, don't get me wrong we have two, but by the time you reach the letter Z, there's seldom much there of interest to the dedicated Zappa fan. I may have to call upon the services of the Maldivian princess who resides in that hell hole known as Auckland city, HRH lives roughly 923.2 metres from possibly the best record store in the land.....The princess has come through in the past, namely with two copies of Lumpy Gravy Primordial, which were dangled like mistletoe and necessitated a 1,700 kilometre round trip to the hell hole to claim my prize. That record store was always a very dangerous place for my wallet to visit, then they moved, closer to the princess and directly across the road from possibly the best musical instrument shop in the land, creating a lethal triangle of temptation, a weak man could wind up with an armful of records an accidental banjo and a long term relationship :lol:

Aucklanders are called jafas by the rest of NZ, which stands for: just another f@#king Aucklander

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:04 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
accidental banjo

Band name!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:18 pm 

:lol:

I've gone into that instrument shop with no agenda no money or cards and come away NZ$350.00 poorer

with an unforeseen Digitech Whammy Pedal.....I paid in-store via my damned online account!
there is just no escape.....

these guys have a branch in Wellington that I seldom go near, but whenever I'm in the hell hole that is Auckland, I'm inevitably drawn to the golden triangle.....
coincidentally I'm going to be in the hell hole in three days for a Judas Priest concert.....
there could be a surprise cowbell in my future :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:00 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
accidental banjo

Band name!

:smoke:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20817&start=900

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:13 am 

Plook wrote:
Shrewnews wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
accidental banjo

Band name!

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=20817&start=900

Plook wrote:
But can he copy & paste, that is the question... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:24 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
polydigm wrote:

Not sure if there's much point in releasing it other than for the collectors' value of the vinyl. Apart from the brief remixed "Revised Music" excerpt, it's all stuff that's now available on other CDs. It had rarity value when it was first released as a cassette, but now it's just another compilation.

This will be a must purchase for me. Most of this music will be fresh to my ears. I missed the boat on purchasing the CDs when they were being reissued (I was too young and didn't know). I was not alive when this was issued as a cassette.

I'm collecting almost all of my Zappa music through vinyl records. The record 'guitar' has proven to be an elusive purchase. Almost all of this RSD release will be new Zappa music to me (especially side 2).

The most elusive Zappa records for me to purchase have been: Guitar, Broadway the hard way, Shut up and play your guitar series, London Symphony pieces, Does Humor Belong in Music, Francesco Zappa and You Can't Do That on Stage Any More.

Thanks for reading my post. Take care.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:55 am 

HitchHiker wrote:
I'm collecting almost all of my Zappa music through vinyl records. The record 'guitar' has proven to be an elusive purchase. Almost all of this RSD release will be new Zappa music to me (especially side 2).

The most elusive Zappa records for me to purchase have been: Guitar, Broadway the hard way, Shut up and play your guitar series, London Symphony pieces, Does Humor Belong in Music, Francesco Zappa and You Can't Do That on Stage Any More.

Note that there is no official vinyl release of Does Humor Belong in Music, at least so far. Apparently there are pirate copies out there.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:18 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Aucklanders are called jafas by the rest of NZ, which stands for: just another f@#king Aucklander

That's kind of unfortunate. I met and befriended a native Australian a long time ago, who had moved to Adelaide from Sydney - probably to escape some pretty bad shit, but that's another story. He introduced himself to me as Jaffa. He explained that it was a nickname that was given to him at a place where he once worked. He did a lot of welding there, wearing these big orange gloves. A black skinned man, wearing orange gloves, and he was proud of the name.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:32 pm 

polydigm wrote:
That's kind of unfortunate. I met and befriended a native Australian a long time ago, who had moved to Adelaide from Sydney - probably to escape some pretty bad shit, but that's another story. He introduced himself to me as Jaffa. He explained that it was a nickname that was given to him at a place where he once worked. He did a lot of welding there, wearing these big orange gloves. A black skinned man, wearing orange gloves, and he was proud of the name.

Mmm, now I want some Jaffa Cakes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:38 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
polydigm wrote:

You're right of course. If does appear as a CD or a download, I may resist buying it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:24 pm 

HitchHiker wrote:
Shrewnews wrote:
polydigm wrote:

This will be a must purchase for me. Most of this music will be fresh to my ears. I missed the boat on purchasing the CDs when they were being reissued (I was too young and didn't know). I was not alive when this was issued as a cassette.

Thanks for reading my post. Take care.

I sometimes wish I was listening to this all with new ears and for that I'm jealous of you :mrgreen:

You can still get all the 2012 remasters on cd as they are all still widely available.
Shrewnews is right about Humor as it's not pressed on vinyl officially.
Only vol 2 of You Can't Do That on Stage Any More was pressed on vinyl, plus the Sampler which has some minor unique edits. FZ himself said this collection was made to be heard on cd. And it is essentially wonderful!
I have seen everything else on vinyl. Shut Up and Play sets are not uncommon.
The LSO#2 seems particularly rare. I feel like I see LSO #1 quite a bit more often.
As far as Guitar, there are thirteen more tracks on the (2)CD version than there are on the vinyl 2platter set. So you know what to do :mrgreen:
Have fun!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:01 pm 

#0001 w/bonus original cassette

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:26 pm 

Got this one as a vinyl bootleg since the 80's. It sounds great.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:37 pm 

Nice little sucker...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:52 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

:shock: