Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Live In New York
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:01 am
Posts: 1895
Location: Bordeaux, France
Saw something about a new release of Live in New York coming up. Anyone have more info?

_________________
"Welcome to the Frank Zappa Memorial Country Club & BBQ" at wgt.com 75 members and counting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1197
Location: Earth
This by now: https://www.recordstore.co.uk/search.html?term=frank+zappa+new+york&utm_campaign=recordstorecoukWeek51Weekly2112211218&utm_content=UMGUK12939-586566&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Email
(from someone at Zappateers)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 10057
Looks like a great release. In New York is one of my favorites. Having disc one in the original format (post Punky’s deletion, that is) then all the extras should be a real fun listen.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:34 am
Posts: 1509
Location: Plymouth England
Looks great , if a bit pricey .
https://www.recordstore.co.uk/recordsto ... 0UE0E3I000
Link via the amazing Idiot Bastard son
http://www.idiotbastard.com/news.htm

_________________
"no one looks good with brown lipstick on"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:34 am
Posts: 1509
Location: Plymouth England
Still nothing on Zappa.com news page .
Still no notification from Zappa.com zmail .

_________________
"no one looks good with brown lipstick on"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:17 am
Posts: 533
Location: England
tinkamok wrote:
Still nothing on Zappa.com news page .
Still no notification from Zappa.com zmail .


While that's not too surprising, there was this on the official FZ Facebook & Instagram pages yesterday:

"78 is a special number. 'Zappa In New York' was released in 1978 and today would have been FZ’s 78th birthday!
To celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the release of "Zappa In New York," we have something special planned for you that we will announce for pre-order in the New Year.
Additionally, tickets for The Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa will go on sale in January!
HAPPY 78TH BIRTHDAY, FRANK!"

_________________
Out now: FZ88 - A Visual Documentary of Zappa’s Last Tour
http://www.wymeruk.co.uk/webshop/books/ ... appa/fz88/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:34 am
Posts: 1509
Location: Plymouth England
The Idiot Bastard wrote:
tinkamok wrote:
Still nothing on Zappa.com news page .
Still no notification from Zappa.com zmail .


While that's not too surprising, there was this on the official FZ Facebook & Instagram pages yesterday:

"78 is a special number. 'Zappa In New York' was released in 1978 and today would have been FZ’s 78th birthday!
To celebrate the 40th Anniversary of the release of "Zappa In New York," we have something special planned for you that we will announce for pre-order in the New Year.
Additionally, tickets for The Bizarre World Of Frank Zappa will go on sale in January!
HAPPY 78TH BIRTHDAY, FRANK!"


Thanks IB ! :)

_________________
"no one looks good with brown lipstick on"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 am
Posts: 114
Location: a tunnel into muck texas
The 5CD set is available in limited quantity’s and will come packaged in an embossed tin box (18cm x 2.5cm) that resembles a New York City manhole cover and contains a 60 page book.

Recorded live in New York City at the end of 1976. Heavy on, well, “freewheeling” lyrical content, with “Titties & Beer” and “The Illinois Enema Bandit” (the latter featuring “sophisticated narration” by Don Pardo) being special favorites with young males of a certain age. Also here is the song that gets most peoples’ vote for the best title ever to grace a Zappa instrumental, “I Promise Not to Come In Your Mouth.”

When Zappa first released this album in ’78, Warner Brothers was especially nervous about a little tune called “Punky’s Whips.” The tune concerned drummer Terry Bozzio’s lurid sexual fantasies about one Punky Meadows, guitarist for the band Angel. Since Angel was then regarded as an important player in the music industry (yeah, right), Warners sat on the album for a long while and then deleted the track altogether. With this CD reissue “Punky’s Whips” is back in all its glory, along with four other songs not on the original vinyl.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:52 pm
Posts: 18796
Location: LumberTruckWest
Manhole cover for the top :mrgreen:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 am
Posts: 114
Location: a tunnel into muck texas
cannot wait


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:50 am
Posts: 48
Take my money.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:34 am
Posts: 1509
Location: Plymouth England
OK , Pre-ordered !

_________________
"no one looks good with brown lipstick on"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 5396
It's a real shame Punky didn't come out on the original album. It bothers me that there was a time when this album was available without Punky's Whips on it. That song was the best thing that ever happened to Angel. There are people who own an Angel album just because of PW. Not me, of course.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 32527
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
downer mydnyte wrote:
It's a real shame Punky didn't come out on the original album. It bothers me that there was a time when this album was available without Punky's Whips on it. That song was the best thing that ever happened to Angel. There are people who own an Angel album just because of PW. Not me, of course.


isn't that it there beside your copy of Good Singin', Good Playin'? :wink:

_________________
hey punk, what are you doing with the constitution in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 304
Location: USA
Yeah, this is going to be tough to stretch my budget to. Unless there are songs from around those years not on any of my concert (official) CDs, I really do not need all 5. I am still going through the Roxy discs one by one.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 am
Posts: 114
Location: a tunnel into muck texas
Tero wrote:
Yeah, this is going to be tough to stretch my budget to. Unless there are songs from around those years not on any of my concert (official) CDs, I really do not need all 5. I am still going through the Roxy discs one by one.

i have a feeling that the price will go down a lot when they put it up on zappa store


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 5396
Gray_Ghost wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
There are people who own an Angel album just because of PW. Not me, of course.


isn't that it there beside your copy of Good Singin', Good Playin'? :wink:

Ha!
And Frampton Comes Alive.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 32527
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
downer mydnyte wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
There are people who own an Angel album just because of PW. Not me, of course.


isn't that it there beside your copy of Good Singin', Good Playin'? :wink:

Ha!
And Frampton Comes Alive.


ha ha, right on!

Way back in my e bay addiction days I ordered a Weasels Ripped My Flesh LP (with the doll in the mouse trap cover) from a very nice man in Germany, and he used a copy of Good Singin', Good Playin' and around fifty newspaper articles about FZ as packing!

To date still my only Grand Funk Railroad album

PS and of course, as some of us do, I have a photo of Punky Meadows with a beautiful shiny hairdo in a semi-profile which emphasizes the pootched out succulence of his insolent, pouting, rictus.....

_________________
hey punk, what are you doing with the constitution in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 10057
downer mydnyte wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
There are people who own an Angel album just because of PW. Not me, of course.


isn't that it there beside your copy of Good Singin', Good Playin'? :wink:

Ha!
And Frampton Comes Alive.

I wonder how many Zappa fans have that Shaggs album in their collection?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 am
Posts: 114
Location: a tunnel into muck texas
KUIII wrote:
[I wonder how many Zappa fans have that Shaggs album in their collection?

guilty


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6564
Location: Between the Badges
If anyone else finds another outlet selling this album, please post. They want $36 just to ship the cds, then if I add the vinyl its over $55 in shipping. No thanx.

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:15 am
Posts: 114
Location: a tunnel into muck texas
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
If anyone else finds another outlet selling this album, please post. They want $36 just to ship the cds, then if I add the vinyl its over $55 in shipping. No thanx.

it should be for preorder on here soon
im guessing itll be around 60 to 79 bucks


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 34129
Location: Somewhere in time
KUIII wrote:
I wonder how many Zappa fans have that Shaggs album in their collection?


I have Shaggy Hot Shots, that's a go to party album... :smoke:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:28 pm
Posts: 10057
Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:
I wonder how many Zappa fans have that Shaggs album in their collection?


I have Shaggy Hot Shots, that's a go to party album... :smoke:

The Shaggs were three teenage sisters that made an album in the late ‘60’s called “Philosophy of the World”. They couldn’t really play their instruments but there was a certain amateurish charm about them. Zappa claimed to love the album and said that they were better than The Beatles.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Live In New York
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 32527
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:
I wonder how many Zappa fans have that Shaggs album in their collection?


I have Shaggy Hot Shots, that's a go to party album... :smoke:

The Shaggs were three teenage sisters that made an album in the late ‘60’s called “Philosophy of the World”. They couldn’t really play their instruments but there was a certain amateurish charm about them. Zappa claimed to love the album and said that they were better than The Beatles.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxPsXPCR5MU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR9d4ESlpHY

_________________
hey punk, what are you doing with the constitution in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group