Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:07 am 

Here's some info from Michael Greger MD's book "How Not to Die," in the chapter on medicine, statistically the third leading cause of death.

...BELOW...just to finish the shaded area, the text continues on about else...

Edited later...SORRY, I had missed Page 2 in the 4 photos above...

It was news to me that most US doctors don't tell the three U. S. Preventative Services Task Force recommended methods, my doctor knew them.

Here is an example of the test the rest of the world is doing, it's cheap, takes 5 minutes and you have your results. A positive here means you need a colonoscopy (though a positive here means you chance of cancer is still only 13%).

You can also do this test if you've been avoiding the whole scene, a negative here and you're done, a positive and avoid no longer.

It's called a Second Generation F. I. T., costs about 25 - 30 bucks at amazon, this one is by Pinnacle...

The above test is better than the advertised "Cologuard DNA test, Cologard produces slightly more false positives.

Talkin' 'bout your hemorrhoids, baby." - Don't use a FIT test if you have hemorrhoids, obviously, (it tells that too in the instructions).

BTW, Risk factors, in order:
1. Diet, (meat and dairy, "Isn't that interesting, I can turn cancer on and off. There's something in meat and dairy that's very good at turning cancer on." -Esselstyn, Forks over Knives where he also shows data turning current cancers OFF by switching to plant protein).
2. Smoking
3. Stress

Hope this helps :)

Edited later: I think I screwed up a ratio I referred to, but didn't have time to fix it so I deleted it till later. Esselstyn had found in Japan in one year in the early 50's when their population was roughly half the US population, Japan was still plant based and the US was on the Western Diet, Japan had something like 18 cases of colon cancer, and the US had 14, 000. Campbell found roughly the same thing in the Philippines, I think he was looking at early childhood liver cancer, not colon cancer.

BTW's:
Here's a quick graph on Esselstyn's experiments turning early cancers on and off...chart needs a little explanation: He gave lab rats cancer with 20% dairy, then switched these SAME rats cancer off again by dropping them to 5%, their cancers turned off and reduced.

At week 9 he gave them cancer again and they seemed more susceptible to increased cancer from dairy, then he switched them to 5% and turned off the cancers at 12 weeks that he had just given them at 9 weeks

Processed meats are listed by the World Health Organization as Class 1 Carcinogen, right next to cigarettes, they would be things like hot dogs, sausage, all cold cuts, sliced turkey, etc. Regular meats and fish and dairy are still Class 2 Carcinogens, some are trying to get them changed to Class 1, but there is heavy industry pressure resisting.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:08 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
baddy, recently I've been digging into the fish and cancer relation literature and, superficially, I thought they were not correlated with cancer (digestive tract, badder, lungs and brain), and even negatively related sometimes...

Thanks for posting Mr_Green_Genes, (is that like a pun on genetics? green-GENES and I just realized it after all these years :shock: ) .

I'll put together a reply, but it's gonna take a few days to get it together cuz I want to dig some info up to make it interesting...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:13 am 

Disclamer: Most of the info in all my posts are from common consensus of:
Caldwell Esselstyn MD, Yale, 30 year prez of staff at the#1 Heart Hospital, The Cleveland Clinic
Colin Campbell MD, Cornell, Director of The China Study
Michael Grieger MD,
a leading expert who has given more than 1000 lectures at medical schools worldwide.

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
baddy, recently I've been digging into the fish and cancer relation literature and, superficially, I thought they were not correlated with cancer (digestive tract, bladder, lungs and brain), and even negatively related sometimes...

Considering that the Western diet is the cause of 70% of our deaths, the resulting diet for life should prevent all these deaths, expenses, and extreme suffering, rather than to consider a food with an exception in one cause of death, while still causing death in the other major areas.

There’s no sense in having extreme suffering and death because of something one eats.

Thanks for bringing up cancer Mr. Green Genes, it’s our second leading forum killer, (behind #1 leading forum killer, heart disease). Although I’ve been writing in generalities going for all-cause mortality, I’ll slant this post towards cancer.

It is worthwhile to note that that an anti-cancer diet, is also an anti-heart disease diet, is also an anti-diabetes diet, is also an anti-stroke diet, an anti-dementia diet, an anti-liver and kidney disease diet, and so on across the top 15 forum diseases. With pills you have different pills to fight (rather than cure) different diseases, in fact the #3 forum killer (killing ¼ million Americans per year), is medicine.

With regards to fish, like any other animal muscle we eat, it’s still high fat, high cholesterol, too much protein, and no fiber, thus causes and contributes to the top forum killers. Depending on what type, and from what area, fish also have a special problem of concentrating pollutants like PCB’s, Dioxins, and metals like Mercury.

With regards to cancer, our diets arguably should be feeding the system all the elements it needs to supply its natural tools for eliminating cancer cells, while at the same time not feefing it things that promote cancer growth.

The ingredients for cancer resistance are in the plant kingdom, while at the same time, ingredients that promote cancer growth (animal protein and fats, endotoxins, low fiber, and other key players), are in the animal kingdom.

Since eating nearly anything in the plant kingdom gives you exactly the right amount of protein, fish with its other worries of animal fat, cholesterol, endotoxins, HCA's when cooked, and their associated increases in heart disease, diabetes (38% increase risk, fat induced insulin resistance and telomere shortening in the pancreas),and so on, means fish doesn't have much to offer.

When thinking about cancer and diet, there is a myriad of cancer fighting compounds in the plant kingdom, maybe the question on including fish should be, what does fish do to fight cancer?

With regards to plant based foods...

What happens if you put cancer on a plant based diet? Dean Ornish MD showed for example that the progression of early stage prostate cancer could be reversed.

If you take men on the Standard American Diet (SAD), and drip their blood on human prostate cancer cells growing in a petri dish, it will suppress their growth about 9%. But take the same men and put them on a plant based diet and their blood can inhibit cancer growth 70%, 8 times better. Which blood do you want?

Similarly, if you drip the blood of women on the SAD diet on a layer of breast cancer cells, it sorta breaks them up a little into the "continents" in the left photo below... but if you take these same women, and put them on a plant based diet for two weeks and drip their blood on another layer of breast cancer cells, all you're left with is a few cancer cells as in the photo on the right. Who doesn’t think that’s remarkable (:

(Sorry I got shitty pictures, I couldn’t get good ones off the study)

Their blood became that much more hostile to cancer.

Often cancer hijacks the programmed self-destruct of normal cells, enabling them to continue on and grow into tumors and spread...due to their immortality.

If you use imaging that shows DNA destruction (death), in cancer cells...and you take blood from these women and put it on cancer cells in TUNEL imaging, you can see women on the SAD diet were able to kill a few cancer cells as in the photo on the left...but if you put them on a plant based diet and repeat, their blood can kill a crapload more cancer cells as shown in the photo on the right. It's like you're an entirely different person.

Effects of animal endotoxins, hormones, antibiotics, and pollutants aside, it is thought that the consumption of the animal (not plant), protein increases production of IGF-1, Insulin-like Growth Factor - 1, a cancer promoting growth hormone involved in growth of malignant tumors is the major culprit...but if you go on a plant based diet two things happen...

1. Your IGF-1 levels drop within two weeks...and (: 2. Serum levels of IGF-1 BP, binding protein, rises to put the brakes on remaining IGF-1, pulling it out of the bloodstream...benefits continue to accrue the longer you stay on plant based.

Drop your IGF-1's while AT THE SAME TIME, make your body more effective at removing them, a double whammy for IGF-1's :)

Eating more animal protein, thus producing much more IGF-1 is common in the SAD diet, high protein is associated with a 4x increase in cancer deaths, and a 75% increase in overall mortality, (doesn't matter what animal, beef, fish, poultry, pork, interestingly though that at these same levels, plant protein has no effect on disease). Makes sense given the higher IGF-1 levels.

Quadrupling ones chance of dying from cancer from meats and dairy, is similar to quadrupling ones chance of dying from cancer from cigarettes, in fact, diet trumps cigarettes, (in 5-year mortality, going whole foods plant based is equivalent to quitting a 28 year smoking habit).

I’ll put some additional info from pages in How Not to Die for more info on cancer, and more info on interesting things in the plant kingdom.

A VERY KEY RECIPE...

Before I do that I’ll put a personal recipe for a daily “smoothie” that’s lol, scientifically constructed and targeted, (and highly anti-cancer). First to mention it’s really a “roughie,” because chewing is important in introducing chemistry of digestion, and because it slows the inrush of fructose from the orange so it doesn’t jazz the pancreas, (eating oranges is good, drinking orange juice is bad).

It’s also heavy on fruits for their antioxidants (and fiber). For example it has blueberries for 350 units, blackberries for 750 units, but it also has a powdered indian gooseberry for something like 10 or 15, 000 units, I think it’s the most powerful antioxidant on the planet.

Roughie, in a good blender, THIS MAKES TWO:

1 kale leaf and a few broccoli crowns.

Chop on low and let sit for 40 minutes forsulforaphane to form, (ps. steaming broccoli kills sulforaphane, but sprinkling on ground mustard brings it back somewhat if eating cooked broccoli).

Add:
~ cup of carrots, ¼ grapefruit, 1 orange, couple handfuls frozen berries(cheaper and much easier and as nutritious as fresh),1 tablespoon alma, ¼ teaspoon turmeric, pinch pf pepper to help release the curcumin in the turmeric, ½ cup water to help the blender get started.

Blend on low till it’s well chopped, but stop before it’s really a smoothie.

If you store some of this, fill the container so there is no air in the top to promote oxidation, you want as many antioxidants intact as possible.

OK, this was a lot of work, but hopefully worth in in keeping forumers alive...

...I was very surprised to find out the food my parents told me to eat was the reason Americans start getting sick at 50, and get increasingly sicker until they croak at 85…rather than to normally and healthily/functionally live to 102 and only be sick in the very end time of their lives…

…hope this was helpful; here comes some more of the book…
Enjoy,
-baddy

This first part was in a discussion on ciggs…

This one gets into why there’s turmeric/pepper in the smoothie recipe…

BTW, for those interested in "Green," Mr. Green Genes maybe?

Fast facts off the top of my head...
We're over fished, our oceans are undergoing serial extinction, some estimates is fishing will be dead by 2045.

We have a water shortage...

We're advised in the media to "save water," go buy yourself a water saver for your shower and sink, make sure the toilet's not leaking, and the average American can save 47 gallons a week...

But since meat and dairy money pays for advertising on TV, you'll never be told:
It takes 600 gallons of water to make a quarter pounder, 2400 gallons to make a pound of beef.

Trees are our planets lungs, our source of oxygen...91 % of Amazon deforestation is to clear land for raising livestock for slaughter.

We have a famine crisis, ~1.5 billion of our 7.7 billion brothers are starving... but we raise enough corn and soybeans to feed 8.4 billion people, more than enough food for everybody...problem is, we feed it to the cows so we can slaughter them and feed them to the western dieters.

Large portions of our waterways are now dead due to increasing poop runoff from raising cows for slaughter.

For those who believe in Global Warming...
18 % of greenhouse gas effect are from all forms of transportation combined, planes, trains, trucks, cars, ships...

On TV we hear about cars with better mileage being advertised, buy one and do some good we hear...

What we DON'T hear on TV (because of income from advertising), is:
54% of greenhouse gas effect is from raising livestock for slaughter.

We hear about the 18%, but keep quiet about the 54%.

50, 000 years ago, 2% of the biomass on the planet was man and his animals. Today, man and his animals (for slaughter), is 92% of the biomass on the planet.

So we're killing ourselves, and killing the planet for profits of a very few families.

"That's right folks, don't touch that dial." -FZ et al

...and we won't even get into the animal cruelty that's taken over in recent decades as the production of livestock has consolidated into 4 or 5 meat packers. The average American eats 79 animals a year.... their heart disease get's them though, people dying from heart disease is equal to 4 jumbo jets crashing every hour, of every day, year after year. If there weren't so much money in selling us beef, we'd be hearing about the 4 crashed jumbo jets every hour, we'd be fixing that, (actually, since the mid 2000's, there has been a first time drop in animal consumption, -10%, so people ARE getting the message, (through no help of commercial TV)).

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:56 pm 

Me? OK you asked for it..

Diverticulosis,...prone to infection (diverticulitisj... colonoscopy follow up (twice)..all clear (literally).
Need to consume a crazy amount of fiber in my diet, like 36 grams a day,..not that I always heed that but,... :shock:

Hypertensive,... (high blood pressure) had been on “Valsartan” since 2011 when they “found out” that the Chinese fucking company making the drug has been lacing it with a chemical that turns out to be a human carcinogen..and our bullshit FDA just found this out in July, and banned it..a little too late huh?so now I had to change medication and wait for the other shoe to drop on whether or not I’ll contract kidney cancer from this shit. Those bastards!!

Arthritic spine,... (ankylosing spondylitis)had an x-ray and was told that “my spine outdated me”... great, so I have the spine of an 80 something year old and I’m only 55... ha!
Suffer daily from 3 herniated discs sustained in a car wreck years ago..

Contracted nerve damage (radiculopathy) in shoulder/collar bone and lost strength in arms..prone to shaking...

Other than that, I’m still breathing and still bitching every single day... :mrgreen: :smoke: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:10 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
A guy on my block - an Iraq War vet - just found out he has prostate cancer.

And to make it worse: a blood test he took a year and a half ago indicated a red flag for prostate cancer, and his doctor failed to note it for follow-up. Fortunately another doctor noticed it months later, while going over his medical history for another case.

UPDATE:

He had his prostate removed last week, and today he received the results of the various biopsies and so forth. The cancer has spread. He'll begin chemotherapy as soon as they can schedule it.

The prognosis isn't good... :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:22 pm 

That's a shame about your neighbor.

. . . meanwhile . . .

Steve Sack

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:28 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
A guy on my block - an Iraq War vet - just found out he has prostate cancer.

And to make it worse: a blood test he took a year and a half ago indicated a red flag for prostate cancer, and his doctor failed to note it for follow-up. Fortunately another doctor noticed it months later, while going over his medical history for another case.

UPDATE:

He had his prostate removed last week, and today he received the results of the various biopsies and so forth. The cancer has spread. He'll begin chemotherapy as soon as they can schedule it.

The prognosis isn't good... :cry:

:cry:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:00 am 

Upper right arm ligament damage.

Funny how small chance decisions can have such impact(pun).

Bought a bicycle helmet with a 2 inch/50 mm visor, that blocked the top 1 inch of view, (everything more than 60f/20m ahead).

Over the next year I was surprised by a parked car in front of me, had to slow and veer quick but made it. That's funny I thought, that's never happened before, (in like decades, never).

It happened again two years later, still unaware the visor was doing it.

Then 6 months ago on an isolated flat smooth road where you can really cruise cuz there's nothing, no driveways, and nobody around....parked car - wham.

Went down across bars of bike on pavement, nice bruise on arm, hurt...but huge bruise on leg, hurt more...forget arm, owwww leg.

6 months later all is well again, fucken body genius, nice...

Then around Christmas I lifted 2 heavy speakers, carried and put up on bench.

3 days later, owww, damn, what's wrong with my arm, internal warmth, damn!

Still not 2 and 2 together, my fucken ancestors were monkeys...

Last week lifted a case of 4-cases of salad dressing off porch...

Now left handed for anything above coffee cup.

Doc said bones good (xray), and although I should feel better in a couple months, expect some of this might be permanent...I'll feel fine and do 98%, as long as I don't lift anything, (which can bring this back).

In one year I'll lift 15lbs/7kg briefly, then wait 3 days and see if anything happens.

So small decisions...a seemingly innocent visor, and someone's decision to park in breakdown lane for a minute ...and the future changes.

I'm glad of my other arm though!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:11 am 

^^^^^ Damn! ^^^^^

I recently changed reading glasses, the originals had a thin steel type frame, the replacements have a trendy 6mm thick tortoise shell plastic type frame. Our new office has a sloping roof with exposed steel I beams crisscrossing the ceiling, at 6.3 in my leopard print thong I'm well aware of the height restrictions of this office and it's low zones. Ten days in and I'd had a couple of close calls but, thanks to lightning reflexes, no hits. The day the new glasses arrived, I'd ended up sitting at a colleagues desk in the low zone, which for me, necessitated a stand and duck maneuver to get in and out from behind. Sure enough, distracted by business, I stood and walked straight in to a nicely painted white girder which rang my bell with a clang, no split second glimpse as I'd been getting with the old thin framed glasses, just blam! right above the eyebrows, the combination of the impact and the surprise dropped me to my knees.....Ended up with a minor six inch swollen bruise with a hairline gash across the forehead, that will fit right in with the frown lines already in the neighborhood.
I have had fragments of windscreen glass floating about in my forehead courtesy of a car crash in the early 1980's. For years bits of glass pop out all wrapped in a skin like coating, like little grains of rice. The swelling from this latest impact has shaken loose the first 80's remnants for at least three years.....

The trendy thick framed glasses have been retired for my mental health, I don't know how many more of those bonce bounces I can take :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:32 am 

That's horrible, GG...I mean, tortoise shell? C'mon.

:D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 3:11 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Got good news today on my latest cat scan from last week. The tumor has shrunk “significantly” (my Doctor’s word). It’s about a quarter of the size it was when first diagnosed last April and from my last cat scan two months ago. Full straight ahead with more chemo for the next two months until my next cat scan. Looking ahead to my last day at work December 7th and my thirteenth (I think) Dweezil show December 9th. I’m taking that week off from chemo to make sure I’m feeling my best. Life is good! :)

^^^ Wow! I made that post about 35 hours before the fire. Got good news today on my second cat scan since then and things are still holding steady. My next scan will be after three more cycles of chemo which will be in June. April 24th will be the one year anniversary of my diagnosis. The one year survival rate is 25% so I guess I’m doing pretty good. I’m enjoying my retirement and looking forward to moving back closer to my my family and doctors soon.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:03 pm 

KUIII wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Got good news today on my latest cat scan from last week. The tumor has shrunk “significantly” (my Doctor’s word). It’s about a quarter of the size it was when first diagnosed last April and from my last cat scan two months ago. Full straight ahead with more chemo for the next two months until my next cat scan. Looking ahead to my last day at work December 7th and my thirteenth (I think) Dweezil show December 9th. I’m taking that week off from chemo to make sure I’m feeling my best. Life is good! :)

^^^ Wow! I made that post about 35 hours before the fire. Got good news today on my second cat scan since then and things are still holding steady. My next scan will be after three more cycles of chemo which will be in June. April 24th will be the one year anniversary of my diagnosis. The one year survival rate is 25% so I guess I’m doing pretty good. I’m enjoying my retirement and looking forward to moving back closer to my my family and doctors soon.

This is great news, if you feel up to it why don't you come by Sunday for a family dinner with the insane Plook Crew...I will have K make home made spaghetti... :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:24 pm 

refreshing news, KU3!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:29 pm 

KUIII wrote:
KUIII wrote:

KUIII, that's great news, hang in there bro...

..and rock on!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:31 pm 

I'll be tracking his spaghetti intake... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:07 pm 

Best of wishes, Kill Ugly!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:52 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Best of wishes, Kill Ugly!

Jeez Mr.GG you say it like my spaghetti is going to do him in... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:25 pm 

Thanks for the words of encouragement, peoples! :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:06 am 

That's excellent news indeed KU!

PS it won't be Plook's spaghetti.....it'll be the lasagna :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:44 am 

there's 3 things americans fear more than death by disease:

- cheetahs
- tornados
- plook's lasagna

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:58 am 

What the... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:13 pm 

is that with or without tomatoes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:43 pm 

Melania Trump wrote:
is that with or without tomatoes

Extra Jellyfish... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:11 am 

You guys know how I feel about Colonoscopy happy America... in that direction....

What Is Your Opinion On Colonoscopies, Mammograms, PSA Tests, Flu Shots, HPV Vaccine, Stents,

Take a break!

(45% of Medicare bills are wasted, they are drugs, stents, bypasses, etc., which have nothing to do with the causation of the illness).

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:04 am 

Electron Microscope...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next