Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Upcoming Releases
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:29 am 

Use this page to list upcoming releases from any artist that you're excited about be they new releases, vault releases, re-releases, dvd's, blu-rays, whatever.

Post subject: Re: Upcoming Releases
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:37 am 

http://www.gizmodrome.net

New supergroup with Stewart Copeland, Adrian Belew, and Mark King. Record drops September 15th.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:25 am 

aside from that dead cross s/t (which i am fully devouring),
almost all of my upcoming excitements have came up and been not-so-exciting.
i bent an ear toward the newest qotsa and... meh.
i like charlie parr, but his new one... meh.
jd mcpherson, from what i've heard of the upcoming... i'll stick with signs and signifiers.
tub ring released a new one on the 15th and from what i've sampled... nope. my interest in those guys begins and ends with drake equation.

so yeah, dead cross
and i like what i can find of longmont potion castle's 14 (i guess that came out in july).

now if i were to get my hopes up up and away,
i would be beyond obliged to receive something somewhat soon from HOLY VEHM.

side note: i like this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:20 am 

The new Oh Sees album, Orc, came out a few weeks ago, and I picked it up at their show last weekend, both pretty fuckin good...

This picture disc is only new in that I just learned of its existence in a local record shop...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:41 pm 

Been listening to the Gizmodrome album and the new Living Colour album Shade this week. Both strong albums.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:29 am 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:41 am 

☝= https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seZ7xSdst5k

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:53 pm 

Blue Oyster Cult are working on a new album for next year. Their last one was released in 2001.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:40 am 

dan weiss metal jazz quintet.
new album due out april 2018.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:57 am 

Duane Denison Confirms the Long Suspected 5th Tomahawk Album

2017-12-23  News, Tomahawk

Tomahawk - Untitled 5th AlbumDuane Denison has confirmed that the 5th Tomahawk is being worked on in a recent interview. Now, all we need is a date in 2018!

During a recent interview with The Hype Magazine, Duane Denison and David Yow spoke about their recent reunion as The Jesus Lizard. Darren Paltrowitz also covered what the future entailed for both of them. Up until now, we’ve only had hints that there would be a 5th Tomahawk album from discussions with Mike Patton, and a few photos shared online featuring Denison with both John Stanier and Trevor Dunn.

hmmmm

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:58 am 

King Gizzard finally completed its mission and released its 5th album of the year!

Gumboot Soup

https://kinggizzard.bandcamp.com/album/gumboot-soup

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:01 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QClzlZTXj4Y

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:52 pm 

New of Montreal album in March:

Two important events occurred during the making of White Is Relic/Irrealis Mood. I became "Simulated Reality" paranoid and I fell in LOVE.

Well a lot more happened during the process of writing and recording, but those are the two big ones. I also reached a healthy point of self-forgiveness for my failed marriage and became deeply educated in the lies of America the Great.

I feel like a switch was recently turned on in my brain and now I'm beginning to see through the lies that have been fed to me my whole life by the masters of media and by those who control and manipulate the narrative of our cultural identity and social order.

My paranoia began during the presidential election cycle and reached a dangerous peak shortly after the inauguration. In the meantime I watched and read countless works of art in a mad effort to be reminded of how many truly brilliant people there are living/struggling among us and to try to maintain a positive outlook. The works of Angela Davis, Noam Chomsky, Chris Kraus, Ta-Nehisi Coates, and the Autobiographies of Malcolm X and Mark E Smith were all great inspirations, to name a few.

Musically, I was very inspired by the extended dance mixes that people used to make for pop singles back in the ‘80s. It's so cool how a lot of the 80's hits had these really intricate and interesting longer versions that wouldn't get played on the radio and could only be heard in the clubs. I used that template with these tracks, I wanted them all to feel like the extended "club edit" of album tracks.

I also decided to abandon the "live band in a room" approach that I had been using on the recent albums and work more on my own or remotely with collaborators. I used the same drum sample packs throughout because I wanted the album to have a rhythmic continuity to it. I wanted the drums to have a strong and consistent identity, similar to how Prince's Linn Electronics LM-1 drum machine played such an important role on his classic albums. Zac Colwell also played a huge role on this album, adding saxophones and synths to most of the songs. I also got a lot of help from long time collaborators, and "of Montreal" touring members, Clayton Rychlik and JoJo Glidewell.

The two title concept came to me when I was thinking about how difficult it is to frame the message of a song with just one title, because so often the songs are about so many different subjects. ‘White Is Relic’ was inspired by James Baldwin’s writings regarding the creation and propagation of a toxic American White identity. I've come to learn how it's just a tool wielded by the 1% to give poor white people a false sense of superiority in an effort to keep the masses placated and numb to how deeply we're all getting fucked by our capitalist rulers. An ‘Irrealis Mood’ is a linguistic indicator that something isn't yet reality but does have the potential to become so.

I'm always searching for new identities so this concept of the death of "Whiteness" appeals to me greatly. Might be the only way to save the world.

-Kevin Barnes, January 2018

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:18 am 

John Zorn will most likely release something this month. And pretty much every other month of the year.....I gave up keeping up.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:12 am 

I was in a record store a couple weeks ago, looking at a ton of Zorn cds. I have only heard a handful of his various cds, so I didn't know which ones to try. The owner seemed knowledgeable about Zorn and said that Psychomagia was easy to like. He played some of Psychomagia, but i wasn't much into it. I only heard the first 10 min or so though. I've heard some of the Electric Masada, but even among those, there are several to choose from.
This is one I like:

I just picked this one up recently and haven't checked it out yet...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 pm 

Spinal Tap Bassist Returns With David Crosby, Peter Frampton on Solo LP

Harry Shearer, who portrayed bassist Derek Smalls in the 1984 parody-rockumentary This Is Spinal Tap, is releasing his debut solo LP in character. Smalls Change (Meditations Upon Ageing) arrives on April 13th via Twanky Records/BMG.
David Crosby, Steely Dan's Donald Fagen, Peter Frampton, Foo Fighters' Taylor Hawkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers' Chad Smith, former Yes member Rick Wakeman, Dweezil Zappa, Joe Satriana and Steve Vai will appear on the record with many others.

Smalls described the project as "halfway between 'rage against the dying light' and trying to find the light." Detailing how he roped in so many high-profile guest artists, the bassist said simply: "Pity fuck."

Smalls will launch a United States tour, "Lukewarm Water Live: An Adventure in Loud Music," on April 14th at New Orleans' Saenger Theater (in collaboration with the Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra). Full details of the tour have yet to be announced, but the trek will also include dates at Atlanta's Symphony Hall (with the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra) and a special appearance with the National Symphony Orchestra at Washington D.C.'s Kennedy Center.
Smalls, singer-guitarist David St. Hubbins (Michael McKean) and lead guitarist Nigel Tufnel (Christopher Guest) have issued three Spinal Tap LPs: 1984's This Is Spinal Tap, 1992's Break Like the Wind and 2009's Back From the Dead.

Smalls Change (Meditations Upon Ageing) Track List (With Descriptions)

1. "Openture" (featuring the Hungarian Studio Orchestra)
"The philosophy of this record, expressed in fewer words than I've taken to almost describe it."

2. "Rock 'n' Roll Transplant" (featuring Steve Lukather, Jim Keltner and Chad Smith)
"Whatever might be ailing you, rock 'n' roll is the cure. Ask Dr. Derek!"

3. "Butt Call" (featuring Phil X, Taylor Hawkins)
"In one lifetime, the telephone has gone from a miracle to a pain in the arse."

4. "Smalls Change" (featuring the Hungarian Studio Orchestra, Judith Owen, Danny Kortchmar and Russ Kunkel)
"Why Lukewarm Water is no longer bracketed by Fire and Ice. A nod to what's past, and a wink to what's next."

5. "Memo To Willie" (featuring Donald Fagen, Jeff “Skunk” Baxter, Larry Carlton and the Snarky Puppy Horns)
"An urgent missive to the Honorable Member: continued tumescence, if you please."

6. "It Don't Get Old" (featuring Peter Frampton and Waddy Wachtel)
"Life on the road, an endless series of pointless encounters. What could be better?"

7. "Complete Faith" (featuring the Hungarian Studio Orchestra)
"A musical interruption."

8. "Faith No More" (featuring the Hungarian Studio Orchestra and Todd Sucherman)
"As I get older, I look back more fondly on all the people I’ve known. Except for Ian."

9. "Gimme Some (More) Money" (featuring Paul Shaffer, Waddy Wachtel and David Crosby)
"Time and technology change everything, except the need for change."

10. "MRI" (featuring Derek with Dweezil Zappa)
"Everybody’s going to have one, eventually. It’s just another ride. To hell, but still…

11. "Hell Toupee" (featuring the Hungarian Studio Orchestra
"Think Satan doesn't have dark thoughts about his appearance as he ages? Think again."

12. "Gummin the Gash" (featuring Steve Vai, Gregg Bisonnette and Jane Lynch)
"Losing your teeth closes one door, and opens another. A celebration of the meeting of two toothless cavities."

13. "She Puts the Bitch in Obituary" (featuring Richard Thompson and Jane Lynch)
"A hymn to womanhood in all her splendor."

14. "When Men Did Rock" (featuring Michael League, Joe Satriani, Rick Wakeman and the Hungarian Studio Orchestra

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/spinal-tap-bassist-derek-smalls-returns-with-all-star-solo-lp-w515516

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:22 pm 

^^^Gummin’ the Gash. I’m in. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:35 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I have only heard a handful of his various cds, so I didn't know which ones to try.

hey arkay, i know the feeling.
however, i like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUBTdOHkdms

maybe see what you may think or not.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:40 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb8xBV4xmgA

This album got lost of airplay at my place a few years back. Marc Ribot on guitar is on fire.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:39 am 

new album "Ancient Noise" out May 11 on Nine Mile Records

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:40 am 

Featuring both ongoing Melvins’ bass player Steven McDonald (Redd Kross, OFF!) and Butthole Surfers’, and occasional Melvins’, bottom ender Jeff Pinkus on bass.
“Stop Moving To Florida” is a medley of the James Gang’s “Stop” and Butthole Surfers’ “Moving To Florida,”
the band also covers the Beatles’ “I Want To Hold Your Hand” and Butthole Surfers’ “Graveyard” on the eight-song release.

releases April 20, 2018

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:22 pm 

2018 releases I plan on grabbing:

Miles - Bootleg Series Vol. 6 ('60 Euro concerts w/ Coltrane) out 3/22
Hendrix - Both Sides Of The Sky (another odds 'n ends release from the Estate ala WCS Boy, People Hell & Angels) out 3/8
King Crimson - Live In Vienna '16 (3-CD set) out 4/6
Dean Ween - Rock2 (out 4/6)
Dead Meadow - Nothing They Need
The Sword - Used Future (out 3/22)
J.D. Wilkes - Fire Dream
Melvins - Pinkus Abortion Technician (hope this is one of 2-3 albums they put out this year)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:27 am 

I've been waiting for this one. I new they were filming. So glad I went to this!