Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 289  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:45 am 

Steve Breen

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:02 pm 

Dick Gordon, command module pilot for Apollo 12 and one of only 24 people who have visited the Moon:
He was 88...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:06 pm 

John Hillerman, Higgins on 'Magnum, P.I.,' Dies at 84

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 pm 

ALICE COOPER Pays Tribute To 'Welcome To My Nightmare' Tour Session Drummer WHITEY GLAN
November 9, 2017

Whitey Glan, best known for his work as a session drummer with Lou Reed and Alice Cooper, passed away on November 7 at the age of 71. Whitey was diagnosed with lung cancer in September after follow-up tests from treatment for pneumonia in August.

Cooper commented on Whitey's passing in a Facebook post earlier today (Thursday, November 9). He wrote: "I picked Whitey Glan as the drummer for my 'Welcome To My Nightmare' tour because he was simply the best drummer around, not knowing he could drink me under a table. He was just a great guy, everybody who's worked with him considered him one of their best friends. He was one of rock's premier drummers, but in my opinion, he was very underrated and underpublicized — he was certainly a drummer's drummer! Canada is less one world class musician... rest in peace, Whitey."

According to Toronto Moon, Whitey had been anchoring a weekly Saturday afternoon series in Etobicoke, Ontario, Canada with a band known as WHITEY & THE ROULETTES since August of last year. In recent years, he also appeared with a number of local R&B veterans, including the DANNY B BAND, Mike McKenna and former MANDALA bandmate George Olliver.

Rest In Peace Whitey! I picked Whitey Glan as the drummer for my Welcome To My Nightmare Tour because he was simply the best drummer around, not knowing he could drink me under a table! He was just a great guy, everybody who’s worked with him considered him one of their best friends. He was one of rocks premier drummers, but in my opinion he was very under rated and under publicized - he was certainly a drummer's drummer! Canada is less one world class musician...
http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/alice- ... itey-glan/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:47 am 

These three:

In October of this year, I was informed by a former co-worker that my boss from 1979-1996 had died this past June. Neither I nor any of my other former co-workers had known about it, nor had anyone spoken to him in many years. We all had great respect for this man, and he taught me a lot about work and life.

Later in October, someone e-mailed me the obituary of a guy I worked with daily for 5 years from 1998-2003. He was my age and died of cancer. I hadn't spoken with him in about 10 years. He was disliked by many people where I worked, but we got along okay and I learned a lot about our business from him as well.

Two weeks ago a current co-worker died suddenly and unexpectedly of a heart attack at home. The office was in shock, which still lingers. In my 38 years of employment, I had never experienced this. She left behind a husband who is battling cancer and a 15 year old daughter. Very sad.

Thanks for listening!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:28 am 

Very sad, my condolences...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:10 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

+1...I know the feeling of multiple losses, all I can say is think good thoughts, the dark thoughts can be crippling when they are allowed to creep in... :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:34 pm 

Sorry to hear about that,friend...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:48 pm 

Plook wrote:
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:

+1...I know the feeling of multiple losses, all I can say is think good thoughts, the dark thoughts can be crippling when they are allowed to creep in... :idea:

Healthy to express your feelings to others as well. Often, we just need to reach out to someone and say what is weighing on us, rather than just bottling it up. I have a brief story from yesterday to relate:

Suddenly I no longer wanted to be in the house and went on a road trip. Ended up at a store I used to frequent from my early teens until my late twenties. A comic book store to be precise. Used to be run by this crusty old guy named Bob (born in 1925) and is now run by his son. Realized I had snapped a photo of Bob standing in his store from the late 90's and thought his son would appreciate it.

The place was pretty much the same and I felt like a time traveler. The son really did appreciate the black and white photo and spent 10 min. talking about his parents who were now both deceased many years. Turns out his father died in 2005 at the age of 80 as a result of a tree he was cutting down falling on his head, breaking his brittle back in 16 places. (what's wrong with this picture, I thought. An 80 yr. old operating a chainsaw?! Kept that to myself) Nevertheless, I sensed that the son was happy to reflect on the memory of his late father, it was an emotional release for him and he mentioned that he misses him everyday. He also has two cats & a wife who was there (homely as fuck and looks like Geddy Lee circa 1977. Each time I looked at her, I heard "FLY BY NIGHT A-WAAY FROM HERE" causing me to laugh) I'm told the black & white photo of Bob will be placed on the wall behind the register right next to the framed dollar bill of their first sale back in 1981. A place of honor. I purchased two comic books for as a gift to my nephew and left.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:41 pm 

^^^You’re right. She does look a lot like Geddy Lee.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:52 pm 

Fuuuuck!

Chuck Mosley former Faith No More frontman dies at 57

Chuck Mosley, the singer on Faith No More's first two albums, died Thursday, according to a statement from his family, "due to the disease of addiction." He was 57.

A Los Angeles native, Mosley played with future Faith No More bassist Bill Gould in a band called the Animated. The pair relocated to the Bay Area and joined Faith No More -- which had gone through a string of singers, including Courtney Love -- in 1983. His snarling, rap-inflected, at times comical vocals are featured on the band's first two albums, its 1985 Mordam debut "We Care a Lot" and its 1987 major-label bow, "Introduce Yourself," which was released on Slash through Warner Bros. A revamped version of "We Care a Lot" became an alternative radio hit and got an occasional look on MTV.

Mosley was ejected from the band in 1988 and replaced by Mike Patton, whose versatile vocals helped bring the band to multiplatinum success with the 1989 release "The Real Thing," which featured hits like "Epic" and "Falling to Pieces." Mosley subsequently sued the band, claiming a violation of a partnership deal; the case was settled out of court. He later joined hardcore legends the Bad Brains for a generally unsuccessful stint and later formed a band called Cement. A number of solo albums and occasional reunions with Faith No More ensued.

A statement from his family, posted on the EMP Label Group's Facebook page, reads: "After a long period of sobriety, Charles Henry Mosley III lost his life, on November 9th, 2017, due to the disease of addiction. We're sharing the manner in which he passed, in the hopes that it might serve as a warning or wake up call or beacon to anyone else struggling to fight for sobriety. He is survived by long-term partner Pip Logan, two daughters, Erica and Sophie and his grandson Wolfgang Logan Mosley. The family will be accepting donations for funeral expenses. Details to follow when arranged."

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/entertainment/ ... ocid=ientp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:12 pm 

I like those early FNM albums a lot. Sad to hear.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:31 pm 

Fred Cole, Leader of Garage-Rock Band Dead Moon, Dies at 69

Fred Cole, a guitarist and singer who became a cult hero of the Pacific Northwest music scene as the leader of the long-running garage-rock band Dead Moon, died on Thursday at his home in Clackamas, Ore. He was 69.

The cause was cancer, said his wife and bandmate, Toody Cole.

As the grunge gold rush in the 1990s made stars of young bands in and around Seattle like Nirvana and Soundgarden, Mr. Cole and Dead Moon remained beloved local stars despite being decades older than their peers.

Well into his 40s by then, Mr. Cole had been a regular of the garage-rock circuit — playing a rough and raw sound that long predated grunge’s noisy take on punk — since the mid-1960s, when he was a member of the Lollipop Shoppe, which had a minor hit in 1968 with “You Must Be a Witch.”

But with Dead Moon and various other groups over the years, Mr. Cole set a standard for do-it-yourself perseverance. He and his wife released records on their own label, Tombstone, with a dark, handmade aesthetic. He even cut lacquer discs, used to make vinyl records, on an old mono lathe at their home outside Portland; according to legend, it was the same machine used to make the Kingsmen’s “Louie Louie” in 1963.

In a scratchy wail, Mr. Cole led Dead Moon in ragged, macabre-obsessed songs, like “Graveyard” and “Dead Moon Night,” that sounded as though they could have been made at any time in the last 50 years.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:02 pm 

Bugger!

Got this at a garage sale around 1995, it was glued to my turntable for months..... :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:42 am 

Milton Bradley wrote:
a wife who was there (homely as fuck and looks like Geddy Lee circa 1977. Each time I looked at her, I heard "FLY BY NIGHT A-WAAY FROM HERE" causing me to laugh)

wow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:15 pm 

Mr Nice Guy wrote:

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Bugger!

Got this at a garage sale around 1995, it was glued to my turntable for months..... :(

I didn't bother posting about Fred because I didn't think anyone here would care.

Nice to see I was wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:25 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Mr Nice Guy wrote:

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Bugger!

I didn't bother posting about Fred because I didn't think anyone here would care.

Nice to see I was wrong.

I went looking for this album in various locations last night to give her a spin for old time sake, GONE! contacted Chrissy my album thief cousin.....What a surprise the little mofo has my copy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:29 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
I went looking for this album in various locations last night to give her a spin for old time sake, GONE! contacted Chrissy my album thief cousin.....What a surprise the little mofo has my copy!

Well, at least you know where it is. Hopefully it's safe!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:09 pm 

BREAKING: Convicted Mass Murderer Charles Manson Dies Aged 83

http://florida-times.com/breaking-convi ... s-aged-83/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:32 pm 

He gave a lot of confused kids a new direction in life.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:44 pm 

just plain doug wrote:

It's about time!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:01 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

It's about time!

Apparently not yet.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-charles-manson-illness-20171117-story.html

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:42 am 

AC/DC's Malcolm Young

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:00 am 

AC/DC guitarist, co-founder Malcolm Young dies at 64
Last updated 02:49, November 19 2017

FAKEBOOK
Legendary Australian guitarist and AC/DC co-founder Malcolm Young has died aged 64.

Known for the powerhouse riffs and rhythm guitar that propelled the Sydney group to superstardom, Young had been suffering from dementia for the past three years.

He was replaced by nephew Stevie for the band's last tour, promoting the 2014 album Rock Or Bust.

FAKEBOOK
AC/DC producer George Young with brothers Malcolm and Angus. George died just last month.

He died peacefully on Saturday with his family by his bedside, a statement said.
"Renowned for his musical prowess, Malcolm was a songwriter, guitarist, performer, producer and visionary who inspired many," the statement read.

"From the outset, he knew what he wanted to achieve and, along with his younger brother, took to the world stage giving their all at every show. Nothing less would do for their fans."

He is survived by his wife O'Linda and two children.

- AAP

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/m ... dies-at-64

:( :cry: :(

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:55 pm 

Ann Wedgeworth who played Lana Shields on "Three's Company" was 83 83? time flew. Her character was always trying to put the make on Jack Tripper with her whispery way of talking and her slinky way of moving. He wouldn't bite though. Comedic sexual tension, I suppose they call it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7219 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 289  Next