Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: Zappa Hologram Tour
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:55 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Besides, the David Bowie hologram tour made him a much better offer.

:mrgreen:

Someone made a sarcastic jab at him yesterday about dumping Frank for Bowie and Adrian addressed it with two replies, however the comments appear to be removed today.

Adrian insisted that he and Frank both agreed he should take the job.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:40 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
Someone made a sarcastic jab at him yesterday about dumping Frank for Bowie and Adrian addressed it with two replies, however the comments appear to be removed today.

According to someone on Prog Ears, there really is a "Celebrating David Bowie" tour in the works for next year, with Adrian named as a participant. I didn't see anything about a hologram Bowie, though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:35 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:

According to someone on Prog Ears, there really is a "Celebrating David Bowie" tour in the works for next year, with Adrian named as a participant. I didn't see anything about a hologram Bowie, though.

www.celebratingdavidbowie.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:43 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Shrewnews wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:

http://www.celebratingdavidbowie.com

We've got this doing the rounds right now https://www.aucklandlive.co.nz/show/ultimate-bowie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:35 pm 

^^^Shit, Ed Blaney! No way!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:56 pm 

Quote:
Adrien Belew: I played a very minor role in the Zappa universe and have always felt I get more credit than I deserve.

+1

Holograms are not up there for musical reasons, so why would a "musician" want a hologram on tour? To draw the mindless consumer to the show? To get mindless consumers interested in them by latching on to a true musical artist?

Perhaps the mindless consumer will confuse the hack with the hologram and treat the hack with the same kind of reverence the dead artist enjoys.

We've reached a point where the "fans" love to be insulted and will vigorously defend the ones insulting them. FZ is missed all the more. He tried not to insult his fan base.

"Fans" kissing the asses of the musicians is the worse thing for the musicians. Someone mentioned having a sense of humor. Good idea. If everyone laughed at how lame this hologram shit is and no one bought tickets then maybe some of these supposedly amazing musicians would finally get off their ass and compose their own goddamn masterworks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:45 pm 

I agree with Adrian's assessment that he played only a minor role in Zappa's Universe while getting too much credit. This occurred for a number of reasons.

#1: The movie Baby Snakes. Adrian was immortalized in FZ's most ambitious and I suspect most viewed video object (with apologies to 200 Motels).
#2: The main album he performed on "Sheik Yerbouti" was one of FZ's best-sellers and Adrian had a prominent role on some of the best loved/most performed songs (particularly City of Tiny Lites).
#3: Adrian went to have one of the most high profile and successful careers of all Zappa alumni and probably played with more "stars" especially in the pop and rock fields.

Yet he played with Zappa for a very short time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:24 pm 

Just read a lengthy statement from DZ about the hologram tour idea and family legal matters regarding trademarks to use his own name. Interesting perspective. I feel sympathy for all involved as they are being fleeced by lawyers. Blood might be thicker than water, but not money. Sorry to see the four siblings put against each other by lawyers who set up the estate/will in a way that makes them more money than the family of of Frank Zappa. lawyers = parasites

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:31 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Shrewnews wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:

http://www.celebratingdavidbowie.com

Got tix this morning for the Chicago show!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:00 pm 

Once I recovered from reading DZ's entire missive, I realized that one thing that pisses me off is the process of making the hologram. Let me know if I'm wrong, but it sounded like the images used were not actually from an FZ show or anything. They used green screen and a guy wearing a bunch of sensors imitating FZ's movements. Then they used a a variety of gathered FZ images, piece-meal to fill in the holographic likeness of Frank. Can this be true? And, can it not be cheesy?

The ZFT is really just clueless and tone deaf.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:11 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Once I recovered from reading DZ's entire missive, I realized that one thing that pisses me off is the process of making the hologram. Let me know if I'm wrong, but it sounded like the images used were not actually from an FZ show or anything. They used green screen and a guy wearing a bunch of sensors imitating FZ's movements. Then they used a a variety of gathered FZ images, piece-meal to fill in the holographic likeness of Frank. Can this be true? And, can it not be cheesy?

The ZFT is really just clueless and tone deaf.

Maybe this should go in the what did you learn today thread, but after looking at a bunch of articles about these holograms, I found out there was a Young Dirty Bastard.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:46 pm 

I think the ZFT is being visionary in how the Zappa legacy could be marketed and shared with future generations. Think about the Beatles' Las Vegas stage show, The Who's Tommy on Broadway, The Rolling Stones new Vegas Exhibit, etc. Ahmet seems to be pretty respected in the entertainment industry and maybe that's why he was selected to head the ZFT instead of his older siblings.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:59 am 

While I think the hologram thing sounds kinda hilarious, I'd go to the show. I'm not upset about what is essentially part of the lighting production.

Ronnys, I can see why one might find this disturbing...

It doesn't exactly say Rock n Roll.

The hologram may be acting as though it is playing solos. That could mean that they are flying in recorded FZ solos to fit in with the band. That's essentially a live overdub and everyone in the world has recordings with overdubs on them.

I was talking to a guy at work who said he saw the Tupac hologram live and said it looked great. I am assuming the technology has improved since then.

I think the tipping point for me would be if it was a night full of pretend hi-fives and hands making devil-horns. I might like it better if it was only done on a couple songs and those were variations of an actual FZ performance with the "actor" in the green suit doing pretty much what FZ did the night of that performance. Maybe get someone who won an air guitar contest, hahaha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:44 am 

BBP wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Press Release
Sep 21, 2017

Calvin2hikers announced today that he is working with Eyellusion to create a 3D hologram of himself to attend the Zappa Hologram concerts. "I really want to go, but I'm really lazy" said C2H.

Go Cal!

This will be either the best shit ever or the worst shit ever. Anyone want to take bets?

I bet, worst shit ever.
I was one of the people who thought just having him play on a screen over dz's shoulder during ZPZ pushed the bounds of "fun".

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:46 am 

KUIII wrote:
Arthur Barrow from his Facebook page a few hours ago.

"My, my, what a fuss over a hologram! My position is simple: Ahmet asked me if I wanted to play some FZ music, and of course I said yes, esp. with Vinnie on drums. If Dweezil ever asks me to play some music with him, I would say yes to that too. And that's all I have to say about that. Now on to more important things!"

I'm sure the paycheck had zero to do with it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:50 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

yeah I read those before he removed them.
I like Adrian a lot. He always seems to care about what he is involved in. And you can tell he enjoys what he does.
I think he needs to not read comments on his FB so much, though.
I am really glad he has bowed out of this.
I'd rather pay $$ to see him and the Power Trio.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:52 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
Just read a lengthy statement from DZ about the hologram tour idea and family legal matters regarding trademarks to use his own name. Interesting perspective. I feel sympathy for all involved as they are being fleeced by lawyers. Blood might be thicker than water, but not money. Sorry to see the four siblings put against each other by lawyers who set up the estate/will in a way that makes them more money than the family of of Frank Zappa. lawyers = parasites

I read it too.
Blech.

FZ is rolling in his grave as his kids pick over what remains of his legacy.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:32 am 

High tech world...this goes with the territory..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:41 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Arthur Barrow from his Facebook page a few hours ago.

"My, my, what a fuss over a hologram! My position is simple: Ahmet asked me if I wanted to play some FZ music, and of course I said yes, esp. with Vinnie on drums. If Dweezil ever asks me to play some music with him, I would say yes to that too. And that's all I have to say about that. Now on to more important things!"

I'm sure the paycheck had zero to do with it.

Yeah. Musicians like to eat too. Imagine that. I remember when I was really young and dumb feeling Bobby Martin had "sold out" by becoming Bette Midler's musical director.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:50 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
sleeping in a jar wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

yeah I read those before he removed them.
I like Adrian a lot. He always seems to care about what he is involved in. And you can tell he enjoys what he does.
I think he needs to not read comments on his FB so much, though.
I am really glad he has bowed out of this.
I'd rather pay $$ to see him and the Power Trio.

I agree Adrian needs to not pay so much heed to the idiots commenting on his Facebook page. That's why he dropped out of this project and almost didn't follow through with writing the liner notes on the Halloween '77 release. Fortunately, Steve Vai and Arthur Barrow won't allow themselves to be bullied by internet "fans" and as you might imagine Scott Thunes had no problem telling people where to stick it.

Last edited by KUIII on Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:53 pm 

BillyDaMt wrote:
SPACEBROTHER wrote:

I read it too.
Blech.

FZ is rolling in his grave as his kids pick over what remains of his legacy.

The next time Dweezil goes whining publicly about his plight and somebody says Frank Zappa is rolling over in his grave I'm going to throw up.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:58 pm 

Man, I am sick of the whining too, but DZ actually cares about playing Frank’s music and does it wonderfully. I do not know whether I would go to see this. But Frank’s legacy is not being burnished by all this show biz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:09 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Man, I am sick of the whining too, but DZ actually cares about playing Frank’s music and does it wonderfully. I do not know whether I would go to see this. But Frank’s legacy is not being burnished by all this show biz

My criticism of Dweezil's whining is separate from my appreciation of his musical efforts. I go see Dweezil perform every chance I get. Dweezil's musical career is his job. He has issues at the workplace. So do I. Nobody wants to hear me whine about my problems. I can lend a somewhat sympathetic ear to others but I do have my limitations.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:38 pm 

KUIII wrote:
tweezers wrote:

My criticism of Dweezil's whining is separate from my appreciation of his musical efforts. I go see Dweezil perform every chance I get. Dweezil's musical career is his job. He has issues at the workplace. So do I. Nobody wants to hear me whine about my problems. I can lend a somewhat sympathetic ear to others but I do have my limitations.

Throwing Up.....not a good weight loss strategy..... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:32 pm 

When I heard about this, I thought it was a sick joke. But I am probably just not up to date on the marvels of new technology. So I can't imagine a big demand for this. Some mentioned attendances a la the 1988 tour. Well, perhaps if all were still alive, but 30 years later many must have passed.

I will probably skip it. I could imagine it would make me quite sad so effectively being reminded of his absence. Sure it could be fun hearing Alumni play Zappa, but.....

PS: It is really creepy to see all the mentioning of "Frank Zappa will be going back on tour" (http://www.zappa.com/news/halloween-77-box-set-celebrates-historic-concert-runs-40th-anniversary-october-20). :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next