Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:01 pm 

Yep, Chicago 78 is really good too. Every solo smokes as far as I'm concerned. A good set list too with some varied material.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:10 pm 

Got all 3 in the mail today. Listening to Meat Light (disc 1) now. Sounds awesome. Packaging is great on this.

Will get to Little Dots & Chicago later. I must say the packaging is super cheap on these two, really fucking flimsy thin cardboard, and no sleeves for the CDs, which drives me nuts.
Little Dots is laid out similar to the way Imaginary Diseases was done, and Chicago is sort of like Buffalo & Philly. They totally cheaped out on the materials. Buffalo & Philly for instance had thick stock cardboard, these new ones are total crap quality. I can picture the glue coming apart on the seams soon too if not handled carefully.

Little Dots at least has some nice liner notes by the musicians. Nothing but brief Joe technical notes on Chi and a nice live shot. Of course they had to include the two pages of endangered plants/animals though again, likely cuz Gail had wanted it that way. :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 1:20 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Sweet! I think I was at the Chicago show. Might have been the 79 show tho... Damn this failing memory!! Uh, maybe I smoked too much weed. :D

I was there! My first Zappa concert. I was 16 years old and we were sitting in the first row of the balcony.

Having just acquired our driving licenses that year, my friends and I saw several concerts - The Tubes, Genesis, etc. and I was always disappointed with the live version I witnessed as compared to the albums I was used to hearing. BUT, all that changed when I saw Zappa. I was blown away and clearly remember thinking this was the first concert I heard that was BETTER than the albums. Saw Frank about six more times and was never let down. Wish I had seen him more.

Edit: Forgot to mention I saw the early show. Some older friends of ours had tickets for both shows and I was bummed when I discovered this.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:12 pm 

So Little Dots CD is the shit :shock: , but what's with the fucked up/out of order tracklisting on this one? There was a several week delay and they still couldn't get it right :roll: .
Back cover states that track 3 is Rollo, and Track 4 is KC Shuffle. But track 3 is clearly KC Shuffle, and track 4 is obviously Rollo. How does this happen? Where is the quality control? It's one thing to have the recent album numbers all fucked up(#s 101-103), but this is careless & unacceptable. Way to go Ahmet. :smurf:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:28 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
So Little Dots CD is the shit :shock: , but what's with the fucked up/out of order tracklisting on this one? There was a several week delay and they still couldn't get it right :roll: .
Back cover states that track 3 is Rollo, and Track 4 is KC Shuffle. But track 3 is clearly KC Shuffle, and track 4 is obviously Rollo. How does this happen?

Ruz-El wrote:
The credits have a special thanks to Ahmet and Diva, with of course no mention of Dweezil and Moon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:20 am 

bracton wrote:
Yep, Chicago 78 is really good too. Every solo smokes as far as I'm concerned. A good set list too with some varied material.

On first listen the solo in Village of the sun is awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:10 pm 

So far I've listened to Little Dots and part of the way through the first disc of Chicago '78. So far everything sounds stellar. Cool to have a couple of tracks which feature Tony Duran's slide guitar work. Interesting recollections by Malcom McNabb and Maury Baker in the liner notes, particularly the stories about Jim Gordon. What a mess that guy sounds like he was/is.

edit - Have to agree about the solo in VotS. Twenty One is pretty fricken sweet as well. Still on my first listen so still taking this Chicago CD in. Hope to see many more releases featuring the "Joe's Garage" era line-up.

edit #2 - Black Napkins from Chicago '78 rocks.

This Chicago show is very nice. Interesting how this particular core band (Colaiuta era) evolved from this show to the Buffalo release. I wonder if any recordings of the Jeff Berlin stint are in the vault before Zappa fired the band?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:21 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
So far I've listened to Little Dots and part of the way through the first disc of Chicago '78. So far everything sounds stellar. Cool to have a couple of tracks which feature Tony Duran's slide guitar work. Interesting recollections by Malcom McNabb and Maury Baker in the liner notes, particularly the stories about Jim Gordon. What a mess that guy sounds like he was/is.

edit - Have to agree about the solo in VotS. Twenty One is pretty fricken sweet as well. Still on my first listen so still taking this Chicago CD in. Hope to see many more releases featuring the "Joe's Garage" era line-up.

edit #2 - Black Napkins from Chicago '78 rocks.

This Chicago show is very nice. Interesting how this particular core band (Colaiuta era) evolved from this show to the Buffalo release. I wonder if any recordings of the Jeff Berlin stint are in the vault before Zappa fired the band?

The Chicago 78 set was my least anticipated of the three, but it is really good. Sound is stellar and Frank is on fire.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:25 am 

I managed to listen to all 3 last week and I like them all. The OG Uncle Meat is especially nice. I really like the Chicago release as well as Little Dots.

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I wonder if any recordings of the Jeff Berlin stint are in the vault before Zappa fired the band?

This would be perfect for the next Joe's Corsaga.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:57 am 

can someone explain me is Chicago 78 a complete show or just a selection of songs?
I am asking because on zappateers this seems to be the setlist of the early show:
Quote:
1978 09 29 - Uptown Theatre, Chicago, IL
Early show
100 min, Aud, B/B-
65 min, Aud, B+
The shorter version doesn't have The Deathless Horsie, and cuts in Flakes. The longer one is missing much of Pound For A Brown.
The Deathless Horsie, Dancin' Fool, Easy Meat, Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?, Keep It Greasey, Village Of The Sun, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, City Of Tiny Lights, A Pound For A Brown, Bobby Brown, Conehead, I Have Been In You, Flakes, Magic Fingers, Yellow Snow Suite, Dinah-Moe Humm, Camarillo Brillo, Muffin Man

Judging from the intro speach this is a late show right?

anyhow, why I am asking is because it's really a shame we didn't get The Deathless Horsie, Conehead and Flakes :(

PS isn't Meek is such a weak song in FZ catalouge :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:03 pm 

Flea wrote:
can someone explain me is Chicago 78 a complete show or just a selection of songs?
I am asking because on zappateers this seems to be the setlist of the early show:
Quote:
1978 09 29 - Uptown Theatre, Chicago, IL
Early show
100 min, Aud, B/B-
65 min, Aud, B+
The shorter version doesn't have The Deathless Horsie, and cuts in Flakes. The longer one is missing much of Pound For A Brown.
The Deathless Horsie, Dancin' Fool, Easy Meat, Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?, Keep It Greasey, Village Of The Sun, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, City Of Tiny Lights, A Pound For A Brown, Bobby Brown, Conehead, I Have Been In You, Flakes, Magic Fingers, Yellow Snow Suite, Dinah-Moe Humm, Camarillo Brillo, Muffin Man

Judging from the intro speach this is a late show right?

It does indicate on the cover that it is the second set.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:36 pm 

Listening to Little Dots now for the first time. Outstanding!

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:49 pm 

All three titles are better than I expected.

The bonus tracks from Meat Light (especially Whiskey Wah, The Whip & Echo Pie) are wonderful and many of them should've been included on the original Uncle Meat.

The '78/'79 band aren't one of my top 5 favourite FZ/Mothers bands but despite this, Chicago '78 does a fantastic job showcasing this band. I thoroughly enjoy The Yellow Show Suite and FZ's playing during Yo' Mama's improv/solo section is even better than on Sheik Yerbouti. Paroxysmal Splendor is incredibly unique because we not only get the bass line of I'm Beautiful Guy, but also a raw version of Crew Slut. And is it just me or do I hear snippets of The Sheik Yerbouti Tango in there as well?!

And even though I wish it had been a complete Petit Wazoo tour gig, Little Dots clearly exemplifies just how good improvised music can be, especially with Columbia, SC (Parts 1 & 2)...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:51 am 

Ok,
had a little time with all three releases now, and I have to say that Little Dots is far and away my favorite of this batch.
Chicago '78 comes in with a surprising second, and Meat Light brings up the rear.
The first two discs are good, but ultimately, the only thing I can really see me playing a bunch is a few tracks from disc 2 and all of disc 3.
Not my fave of the Project/Object series, I still think Greasy Love Songs is #1 there. Even if it is the shortest volume for the P/O series.

I think in addition to the 73 OZ tour, I would really like the ZFT to push out any and all Petit Wazoo material left in the vault.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:00 am 

pbuzby wrote:

Yes, the Sheik Yerbouti Tango riff (which was common in fall 77 and winter 78 but not in other fall 78 gigs I can remember) is in there.

It's also in "Black Napkins" from Halloween.

Last edited by pbuzby on Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:31 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Back cover states that track 3 is Rollo, and Track 4 is KC Shuffle. But track 3 is clearly KC Shuffle, and track 4 is obviously Rollo. How does this happen? Where is the quality control? It's one thing to have the recent album numbers all fucked up(#s 101-103), but this is careless & unacceptable. Way to go Ahmet. :smurf:

You fucked up. The back cover lists 5 songs but 2 of those songs have Parts 1 & 2. There are thus 7 tracks on the CD. Track 3 in your example is Part 2 of Little Dots.

I bought Chicago 78 and Little Dots. It seems I got more enjoyment out of Imaginary Diseases compared to Little Dots. I felt that the tune Imaginary Diseases itself was essential to the official catalog.

Chicago is a great release for those wanting a full complete concert. The excellent sound quality (of the instruments themselves and the recording/mix) has me playing the CDs daily for over a week now. I just realized this is one of my favourite lineups. And yes killer guitar solos.

Last edited by moggio on Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:13 pm 

Little Dots Pt. 2 and KC Shuffle are both shuffles. Seems like this band did a lot of shuffles.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:33 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
Little Dots Pt. 2 and KC Shuffle are both shuffles. Seems like this band did a lot of shuffles.

...after marching to a nearby hummock.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:11 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:
All three titles are better than I expected.

The bonus tracks from Meat Light (especially Whiskey Wah, The Whip & Echo Pie) are wonderful and many of them should've been included on the original Uncle Meat.

The '78/'79 band aren't one of my top 5 favourite FZ/Mothers bands but despite this, Chicago '78 does a fantastic job showcasing this band. I thoroughly enjoy The Yellow Show Suite and FZ's playing during Yo' Mama's improv/solo section is even better than on Sheik Yerbouti. Paroxysmal Splendor is incredibly unique because we not only get the bass line of I'm Beautiful Guy, but also a raw version of Crew Slut. And is it just me or do I hear snippets of The Sheik Yerbouti Tango in there as well?!

And even though I wish it had been a complete Petit Wazoo tour gig, Little Dots clearly exemplifies just how good improvised music can be, especially with Columbia, SC (Parts 1 & 2)...

Yes, the Sheik Yerbouti Tango riff (which was common in fall 77 and winter 78 but not in other fall 78 gigs I can remember) is in there.

I knew it! Thanks for the confirmation.

pbuzby wrote:
A complete Petit Wazoo gig would be great but I don't know if it is possible, since I've heard FZ was prone to erasing stuff he didn't like from those shows.

That makes sense, as the ZFT would've probably released a full show by now...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:34 am 

Was Strictly Genteel played live before Fall 78?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:19 am 

bracton wrote:
Was Strictly Genteel played live before Fall 78?

I don't remember it being played by a touring band before then, but it was played at the 1975 Royce Hall performances.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:50 pm 

oh boy oh boy oh boy....oh boy!

All three arrived safe and sound, fell up the steps in my haste to into the house and get Little Dots into the machine..... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:14 am 

moggio wrote:
You fucked up. The back cover lists 5 songs but 2 of those songs have Parts 1 & 2. There are thus 7 tracks on the CD. Track 3 in your example is Part 2 of Little Dots.

Oops, I'm an idiot. :oops: :) Guess I just looked at the titles quick and didn't notice the title track was indexed into two tracks. Love this album, but I think Imaginary Diseases is slightly better.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:58 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
moggio wrote:

Oops, I'm an idiot. :oops: :) Guess I just looked at the titles quick and didn't notice the title track was indexed into two tracks. Love this album, but I think Imaginary Diseases is slightly better.

Nah, it is messed up numbering.
I do like how it sez: produced by Ahmet and then under special thanks Ahmet gets a shout out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:35 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
moggio wrote:

ID is a bit better, but that was a pretty high bar, if you ask me.
I am loving Little Dots.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next