Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:30 pm 

I've never really been a "comic book guy" but I like witty animation and cartoons like the stuff Mr. Nice Guy posts and probably like a lot of you Mad Magazine (I love Don Martin) and National Lampoon made a big impression on me. I've never bought or read a "graphic novel" but after hearing a recent interview with Daniel Clowes on Marc Maron's WTF podcast I am intrigued.

I really don't have much to offer but please post your favorite cartoons, recommend graphic novels, or whatever pertaining to this subject.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:12 pm 

Anything by Gahan Wilson!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:49 pm 

A few I've enjoyed over the years. Graphic novels- from what I've seen- tend to be a bit more serious.

R.Crumb

Image The Far Side- Gary Larson

Graphic novel I've enjoyed

Image Maus-Art Spiegelman (won Pulitzer)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:34 pm 

Get stoned an read any of these....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:35 pm 

This is good ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:06 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:47 am 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:52 am 

I love Carl Barks and have a weekly subscription to the Donald Duck magazine for a reason:
Besides that I love:
Douwe Dabbert by Piet Wijn and Thom Roep;

Franka by Henk Kuijpers;

Heinz by Windig & De Jong;

Peter Pontiac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:42 pm 

urban gwerder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:58 am 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:30 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:21 pm 

my pal cal

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:01 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:36 am 

NEWS WATCH: IMAGE COMICS Assembles Kieron Gillen, Jim Rossignol, & Jeff Stokely for LUDACRATS!

Mike Eakins
January 28th, 2020

What happens when three best selling writers get together? You get LUDACRATS! A zany and out of this world comic that has a bunch of Frank Zappa songs as its soundtrack. You can read the full press below, an interview from the Hollywood Reporter, and some art for the first issue. Enjoy!

Bestselling writer Kieron Gillen (Die, The Wicked + The Divine) will team up with writer Jim Rossignol (Sir, You Are Being Hunted) and artist Jeff Stokely (The Spire) with colorist Tamra Bonvillain (Once & Future) for Ludocrats. This five-issue, gonzo-weird fantasy miniseries will launch from Image Comics on April Fools’ Day.

“I have a reputation of making intense grimoires about crying,” Gillen told The Hollywood Reporter, while reclining on his throne of skulls. “This isn’t that. This is an explosion of glitter and slugs, arranged artfully, nonsense and lack of sensibility. Its aim is to make you happy. Also, horrified.”

In short: The Ludocrats! The aristocrats of ludicrous! A collision of the ornate fantasy of Dune and an M-rated Asterix & Obelix! Baron Otto Von Subertan and Professor Hades Zero-K are here, and they’re going save us all have a nice time.

I’m just happy to be implicated in whatever is happening here,” said Rossignol.

Stokely added: “Please help me. They have me trapped. Send help.”

https://comic-watch.com/news/news-watch ... -ludacrats

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:27 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:26 am 

Spider-Man Literally Faced New York's Own Corona Villain

Believe it or not, but Spider-Man actually faced a supervillain called Corona in 1991 - and the eerie coincidences don't stop there.

by Thomas Bacon
Apr 12, 2020

https://static1.srcdn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Spider-Man-Swinging-Over-New-York.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=960&h=500

In a weird twist, Spider-Man once faced a villain named Corona who threatened New York City - and whose creation had unwittingly released some sort of chemical-induced illness. Superhero comics have a rich history of social commentary, and in the '90s Marvel embraced themes of public health in an unexpected way.

Marvel's attention rested on the contemporary AIDS crisis, with several Spider-Man arcs confronting the wall-crawler with the horror of the condition, and Doctor Octopus attempting to find a cure. Meanwhile, the X-Men were faced with the terrifying threat of the Legacy Virus, a heavy-handed analogy for AIDS that targeted only mutants. But in amidst all these stories, one stands out from the rest as oddly prescient given the current Coronavirus pandemic.

In Spectacular Spider-Man #176-177, Kurt Busiek and Sal Buscema introduced readers to a new villain named - of all things - Corona. She was the manipulative sister of a wealthy scientist who cared little for ethics, and had willingly allowed herself to be subjected to dangerous experimentation. This left her transformed into an unstable, post-human state, with her cells producing energy that allowed her to transmutate matter at will. The process was degenerative, however, and was gradually killing her; Corona launched a spate of attacks upon her brother in a desperate attempt to acquire an antidote she needed.

In truth, Corona's brother - a little-known character named Cedric Forrester - was the true villain of the story. He'd ignored safety rules, and as a result he'd unwittingly flooded the city's water supply with the same chemicals that had granted his sister super-powers. All over New York, people began to collapse, suffering from debilitating - and potentially fatal - fevers. Spider-Man found himself faced with an impossible situation, battling to prevent Corona taking the antidote because the city needed it as well; the fever struck particularly close to home when his wife Mary Jane collapsed with it.

The story reads rather uncomfortably in light of the current Coronavirus pandemic, but it wasn't really foreshadowing at all; Busiek chose the character's name because "Corona" is the Spanish word for "crown," and his quasi-villain considered herself crowned with glory and power. It is possible Busiek learned the double-meaning, that there is indeed such a thing as a Coronavirus, and this inspired the fever plot; but frankly, that's not necessarily the case. It's more reasonable to suppose this is just an odd coincidence. Regardless, Corona appeared one more time - in Spider-Man Unlimited #3, and Marvel asked readers to let them know if they wanted to see her return as some sort of antihero. Presumably they didn't get much interest, because the Spider-Man comics have completely forgotten her.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:31 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:01 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:03 am 

DC Comics & All Elite Wrestling Collab to Create Custom Illustrations of the Characters

https://www.tntdrama.com/shows/all-elite-wrestling-dynamite-aew/articles/dc-comics-all-elite-wrestling-collab-to-create

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 7:44 pm