Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:51 am 

The cheap high school drama setting is essential to Joe's Garage - which is crap as the high art type of drama Trendmonger thinks it is, but possibly great with the secret Zappa ingredient - CHEEPNIS. Which is why Frank threw it in the reader's face with his liner notes.

Yomama wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
KUIII wrote:
I guess my question is what does this actually mean? Joe's Garage, the Musical? That high school play that Ben was in?

When speaking of Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, I never saw any evidence that it was written as a High School Musical.

Since I don't have the official documents in hand from the official release, please see this: (hopefully it is in fact FZ's words copied verbatim)

Fourth paragraph...

http://genius.com/Frank-zappa-act-i-liner-notes-lyrics

Last edited by DC Boogie on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:51 am 

polydigm wrote:
Ponty Mixes could be related to the King Kong album.

True, or "Canard Du Jour."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:14 am 

Now would also be a nice time to discuss releasing the 73 OZ run.
That would empty my wallet good and fast.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:46 pm 

Time for me to plug my Holy Grail show again: SAN DIEGO 3-24-73. Best Zappa show I ever saw. The '73 band including Sal Marquez plus a guest appearance by Don Preston. Uncirculated AFAIK--correct me if that has changed. Great instrumental jamming, and a hilarious audience participation routine. I know the tape is in the vault and has been "dismoted," as the ZFT posted the "Imaginary Diseases" rap from this show in the promotion for the ID CD. (Is it still up anywhere?) AHMET Z! PLEASE HEAR MY PLEA! RELEASE SAN DIEGO '73!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:51 am 

Yomama wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
KUIII wrote:
I guess my question is what does this actually mean? Joe's Garage, the Musical? That high school play that Ben was in?

When speaking of Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, I never saw any evidence that it was written as a High School Musical.

Since I don't have the official documents in hand from the official release, please see this: (hopefully it is in fact FZ's words copied verbatim)

Fourth paragraph...

http://genius.com/Frank-zappa-act-i-liner-notes-lyrics

Yomama,

Nice of you to bring this to anyone's attention , but you are quoting me out of context that has nothing to do with the overall production. You may also mislead an uneducated listener as to Frank's intent. In the part where any user questions the eyebrows of the actors or musicians, and but also, anyone involved in the production, I would hope any given fan is a bit more Strictly Genteel than just putting the entire cheepness factor in a box or blatantly putting down a theatre company such as Open Fist.

While there is no doubt as to the Cheepness factor of the Stage Sets Frank had intended for the stage, when it comes to playing the parts, there is no evidence that Frank Zappa wanted musicians, actors, or anyone involved in a theatrical production, to have anything less than the necessary eyebrows of performing his works.

There was a time when Frank Zappa took his family to Broadway . He met up with some folks to have discussions of putting some of his plays on Broadway. He even took his family to see the play Cats. While there is no doubt that Frank wanted to keep production costs low, such as having computers do the jobs of some production staff, but in the part of musicians, actors and whatever personnel are a part of the production, any listener should be far more Strictly Genteel to the composers intent of the play itself, the one theatre company(Open Fist) that gave the official world premiere, and but also, specifically where it is headed. I would hope any given fan, as I said, is a bit more Strictly Genteel.

But if people want to talk about an extremely cheap production, on every level imaginable. Several decades ago, a local theatre group in NYC,.... hard to even give them any credit, the words cringe through my mouth, made the poorest attempt imaginable, to put on the play,brrrghhhhh. Where if I might add, their production was not in line with the composers intent. They acted out to the record and the only stage design was the fake nose and glasses the actors wore and gave to the folks in the audience for having to sit through that. For any forum members that know long time Zappa fans, Janet The Planet and Jack Conklin were in attendance, if anyone ever crosses their path they can ask them about it. Simply put, they not only missed the mark, they missed hitting the outer edges of the hey stack that the target is applied to. The metaphorical arrows never left the satchel on their backs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:51 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

I mean no disrespect but the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this picture:

"show me your thumb if you're really dumb" :lol:

For me it was: Are these the "bad guys" from the movie Doctor Detroit?

"UhhhAhhh . . . which one-uh you is Mom?" :mrgreen:

Please pick a winner, Ahmet! 8)

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:16 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
Is Gail sick, or sick of the grind? Hope it's not the former.

She looks ok on the picture imo. I guess she just want to pass it on. Great news!!!!

(The Joe's Garage Musical would, however, not be something I would drool over in anticipation - I prefer stuff where Frank Zappa was physically present.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:51 pm 

Can only imagine what great future releases are in store for us!! Roxy should be a top priority though...and what NP mentioned about full Buffalo shows would be quite awesome as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:27 pm 

I missed this and cannot be happier. I might guess that the success of the UM remasters and the release of DMT allowed Gail to step back and we all can salivate over what may yet come...

BTW, I am kinda excited over the 200 Motels release, and I will get the Joe's Garage play. ROXY ROXY ROXY ROXY (subliminal mind control to hypnotize the ZFT and bend them to my will).

8) :shock: :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:50 pm 

no interest in the musical other than as an exploitation that could raise funds for more Zappa product.

Roxy on bluray first and foremost, and the continuation of the Project/Objects please. Uncle Meat was up next, it should include the film on bluray with uncompressed audio, and the Royal Albert Hall footage as a separate stand alone concert. (DARE TO DREAM!
:) )

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:19 pm 

The first thing that Ahmet should do being in charge of the operation is pull the plug on Musictoday, and move all product to a new distro/store. As in one that is truly independent,(isn't musictoday affiliated w/ Live Nation?)

There are plenty of independent outlets(in the state of California) that the ZFT could do good business with who don't screw the fans/customers over with extremely high shipping costs. Cheers to Henry Rollins for pulling the plug on musictoday, and going back to a respectable mailorder co.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:17 pm 

[quote="Trendmonger"]
KUIII wrote:
[/quote][color=#0000FF]
KUIII,

PHEEEW, I have never seen any evidence that the Open Fist Theatre Company is a High School Musical Theatre Company. Your commentary seems quite a bit misleading and disrespectful of their production efforts. [quote/]
[/color]

OK inspector Clueso , scroll back in "What's New" and you'll find your "evidence". There's an announcement about the play, Joe's Garage, being produced by a HS drama troupe. I don't know beans about Bens part in it, but it was put on by a west coast HS in who made a nice little musical out of it.
FYI, Gail knows all about it and approved it.
Disrespectful? Really? It was a HS production, so you naturally think KUIII's putting down the Open Fist Company? KUIII asked a question, that's what '?' means.
That's way too much negativity for me, and but also...the rest here on the zappa.com forum too.

No Zappa for you!
Next!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:13 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:
Now would also be a nice time to discuss releasing the 73 OZ run.
That would empty my wallet good and fast.

I disagree. This is the kind of stuff that we have already heard and in very very good quality on top of it. I don't want that kind of stuff right away. Put out either totally unheard/uncirculated stuff or shows that have been available but in really bad quality. That would be the most appealing and ideal way to go.

+1 This is why I liked Joe's Menage so much. A bit raw... sound was decent and clean - and it was a show that I had not heard.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:13 pm 

Hi,

Nothing like one last word ... act ... before she said ciao to all of us!

I do not think/believe that Universal thinks that a whole lot can be made off all this ... but remains to be seen. I expect something to click really big and turn the vault inside out because of the sudden fame again ... and then we won't see 200 Motels again for another .... I'll be dead then, so it won't matter!