Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:03 pm 

coevad wrote:
Jerry & Bob on Letterman 1982

https://youtu.be/4pZjE_bAmFY

Thanks man! That was a pretty good Deep Elem Blues considering how fucking high they were. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:32 pm 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
ROBUST STUFF!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:29 pm 

West Coast Dead Shows Announced!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:42 pm 

Trey A?

If anyone wants to talk about the real, actual Grateful Dead I'm here.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:06 pm 

Hacks. Might as well punch a clock.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:13 am 

I'll talk Dead with you. This Lowell George version of Good Lovin' is my favorite after Pigpen passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytY-XhvE0tE

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:08 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:36 am 

1989 Dead show in movie theaters this May.

https://youtu.be/Ga20Zon2BvA

Never before seen? Not with Dead fans.

full concert - https://youtu.be/tA2EJrS9wxc

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:08 pm 

I was listening to New Minglewood Blues (Dead Set) earlier thinkin' how I don't believe I've ever heard a version I didn't like whether its Minglewood Blues, New New Minglewood Blues, All New Minglewood Blues or just Minglewood. I'm not as hardcore of a Dead fan as some, so I don't have an endless supply of showz, but if someone has a fav version of Mingletc... lemme know!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:16 am 

Dead shows on PPV

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... w-20150422

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:19 am 

We did not get tickets for the SF shows. :(

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:22 am 

Sold out fast?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:29 am 

coevad wrote:
Sold out fast?

Yep, we put in for mail order and got our rejection the next day.

Yes, I'm goin' to the love-in to sit & play
my bongos in the dirt.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:18 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I was listening to New Minglewood Blues (Dead Set) earlier thinkin' how I don't believe I've ever heard a version I didn't like whether its Minglewood Blues, New New Minglewood Blues, All New Minglewood Blues or just Minglewood. I'm not as hardcore of a Dead fan as some, so I don't have an endless supply of showz, but if someone has a fav version of Mingletc... lemme know!

I don't have any of the Dick's Picks, Road Trips, etc. But I thought this would be interesting, since I do have quite a bit of Dead. Without going through the 14 DVD box set, I only have 4 versions of this one. Guess I'm not really a Deadhead?

Grateful Dead's first {favoritism 4. Not as crazy about the speeded up tempo, so Bill could get a Mustang}
Shakedown Street studio {favoritism 3}
Shakedown Street live in NJ '78 {favoritism 2}
Dead Set {favoritism 1. I almost picked the other live version, but Brent's little solo is nice in this one}

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:44 am 

Philostopher wrote:
Dead Set {favoritism 1....

I just txferred my Dead Set vinyl to mp3. I've always loved the album, but it seems to have drifted away a bit over the years. Maybe cuz there's a zillion more live Dead albums available than when I bought it 30+ years ago! Anyways, its sounding really good today.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:12 pm 

^ I don't know. A 6 minute live version of Fire On The Mountain raises my eyebrows. Right away I know something's amiss. A 4 minute Franklin's Tower? Yeah, right.

Dead Set is edited with guitar solos chopped. Seems odd to me. A live album for people who would like the Dead if only they'd stop playing all of those long guitar solos. :)

But I don't doubt it sounds good, Arkay. I'm sure not every song is edited. Minglewood is probably uncut because it was always relatively short.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:34 am 

Sure, no problem. I'm not addicted to guitar solos, as much as I enjoy them. I know a lot of people focus on them, nearly exclusively. There are lots of things to enjoy about live versions as the liner notes to YCDTOSA list, and um, whatnot.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:55 pm 

My fave is probably the one that kicks off the Barton Hall 5/8/77 show, considered by Deadheads to be one of the greatest shows ever. It's super-charged, with a 6:21 running time.

I'm not gonna tell you how many versions of the song I have, as you would likely think me a Deadhead, which I am not.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:38 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
I'm not gonna tell you how many versions of the song I have, as you would likely think me a Deadhead, which I am not.

Which tells me you probably are. What are the criteria to be a Deadhead? I figured it was just a deep appreciation of the music. I don't own any of these "limited numbered" releases. I know Phil Lesh considers these his insurance policy for old age, but I personally don't think Garcia would approve of these over inflated prices for these limited edition releases? Some of the Dick's Picks are going for $100 or more. You could say you snooze you lose, but some of us were going through rough times when these were released.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:18 pm 

Philostopher wrote:

Which tells me you probably are. What are the criteria to be a Deadhead? I figured it was just a deep appreciation of the music. I don't own any of these "limited numbered" releases. I know Phil Lesh considers these his insurance policy for old age, but I personally don't think Garcia would approve of these over inflated prices for these limited edition releases? Some of the Dick's Picks are going for $100 or more. You could say you snooze you lose, but some of us were going through rough times when these were released.

Well...I think of a Deadhead as someone who listens to the Dead way more than anything else; even almost exclusively. All the time. I know someone like that. I've accumulated a lot of stuff over the years, but only listen occasionally and binge maybe once a year.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:24 pm 

I think the definition of a Dead Head is Dead fan that follows the band when on tour, to as many concerts as possible generally 95 % of them, these folks did not work or have a life other than following the band.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:57 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
I think the definition of a Dead Head is Dead fan that follows the band when on tour, to as many concerts as possible generally 95 % of them, these folks did not work or have a life other than following the band.

eh...not quite. But as far as paying $100 for a Dick's Picks.....you know the Dead allowed taping at their shows....that eliminated bootleg market. If you paid for a boot, you were not knowledgeable or stupid.....there was (and still is) so much free stuff out there. If you pay it, you are either the type of DH described by my esteemed colleague BRAVO, or you got the dough....because the shows are available for free on archive and through other sources.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:24 pm 

I'm not addicted to guitar solos, as much as I enjoy them. I know a lot of people focus on them, nearly exclusively.

I am far more into songs/compositions than I am into solos. But, like you, I enjoy a good solo. Hopefully it serves the song rather than serves the players ego. I like 'em short for the most part but with Garcia I expect them to be extended and hopefully to build toward some sort of peak.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 3:11 am 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:

I would absolutely agree with you on this definition during the time the Dead was a touring band, however, I was thinking more in terms of the present-day Deadhead. You know, the one that refuses to die.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:31 am 

OK, then i'm not sure. For me then the Dead Head is........................dead

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 253 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next