Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:00 pm 

I don't think Fripp would let someone in his band that didn't have some fire left.

Will you be seeing and hearing for yourself, dm?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:35 pm 

coevad wrote:
Will you be seeing and hearing for yourself, dm?

I could get into the sat. warfield show. Tempted. I'm a big fan. Mostly the old stuff ('69-'84, '95) but I check it all out.

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
I'm curious to hear what he does. If he's still got some fire in him.

FWIW, here's Collins performing with a group called Goldman. Sax solo beings at 5:04 or thereabouts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8aLp4NCppo

I don't know. No one seems to be exerting a whole lot of musical energy....which is fine, it's a mellow groove. I assume Fripp will push him in more exciting directions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:36 am 

I'm just happy to be seeing Tony Levin play again.

Peter Gabriel 1993 - LA Forum & Cal State Domingez Hills
Stick Men / Crimson Project 2011 - Galaxy Concert Theatre
soon to be- King Crimson 2014 - Orpheum Theatre LA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:32 am 

Tony has played and recorded non stop his whole career, my first listen was when he was with chuck mangione , that was a great band, he was fun to listen to when he was with Buddy Rich, the roar of 74.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:20 am 

coevad wrote:
I'm just happy to be seeing Tony Levin play again.

Peter Gabriel 1993 - LA Forum & Cal State Domingez Hills
Stick Men / Crimson Project 2011 - Galaxy Concert Theatre
soon to be- King Crimson 2014 - Orpheum Theatre LA

Cool. Levin's tone, use of silence, choice of notes and sense of space is a true inspiration to bass players everywhere. He makes my ears smile.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:22 am 

Sorry, I tried not to post this, but...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:29 am 

I did not know that Tony played some bass lines on Alice Cooper's Welcome To My Nightmare. wiki is good.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:11 pm 

Tony's last entry before the first show. Here we go!

http://www.papabear.com/tours/crim14/crim14_9.htm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:47 pm 

Good show, lads. I wish I was there or at least could watch a webstream...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:36 pm 

First review:

http://blog.timesunion.com/localarts/re ... 914/34726/

Wow, they are doing the early '70s material! I'd be really interested in hearing how all the "Red" tunes as well as something like "The Letters" would sound like. I knew there had to be a song that would justify the use of baritone sax. I see Mel Collins is handling all four saxophones as well as flute and - what Frank Zappa himself would call "the big tube" - alto flute (can't be bass, as the bass flutes are curved). The title track of "Scarcity" was also mentioned, so that album is also represented. Which means that one does have to sit through some soprano sax noodling.

Hope there will be a European tour as well!

EDIT: A setlist http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-crim ... f9fb9.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:58 am 

I consider myself a huge KC fan, I've been heavily listening to them (almost all phases) a lot in the last year, but I could never get into any of the records after Poseidon and before Lark's... I would have dropped those songs and Pictures and throw some Fracture and more improv... But it seems beautiful, nevertheless.

Lark's Tongue in Aspic has to be one of the most underrated records of all time...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:24 am 

GG, in case you were wondering... Larks'Tongues, homemade vinyl-to-mp3 version, sounds great on headphones at the airport, or if you weren't wondering, either way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:42 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I consider myself a huge KC fan, I've been heavily listening to them (almost all phases) a lot in the last year, but I could never get into any of the records after Poseidon and before Lark's... I would have dropped those songs and Pictures and throw some Fracture and more improv... But it seems beautiful, nevertheless.

Lark's Tongue in Aspic has to be one of the most underrated records of all time...

Well, I do remember an evening when I borrowed two King Crimson records to listen to, one of them was Power to Believe (2003) and the other was Poseidon. After listening to Power I did find Poseidon more interesting record of the two. Collins' early saxophone prowess really shines through on "Pictures of a City".

Therefore, I'm much in favour of Fripp & Co resurrecting at least a couple of these numbers from the much-maligned Interregnum period over another rehash of earlier Belew era glories. "The Letters" certainly showcased Collins' gutsier side of woodwind playing and hopefully he can still rip it up on the baritone. It seems that Fripp is going for both hardcore vintage stuff as well as a bit of a novel approach, that alone makes KC Mk VIII seem fresh, at least in theory, but hopefully in practice as well (I hope to hear live recordings, if a European tour isn't in the agenda).

Not certain if LTIA is underrated. Perhaps by the general populace, but the KC cognoscenti generally regard the album as a true return to form after the uncertainty of the Interregnum period. Perhaps one of these Interregnum LP's (my favourite is Lizard) could be considered really underrated. Even if we leave out the Interregnum stuff and only focus on the Wetton-Bruford era, then it seems Starless and Bible Black doesn't get as much respect as the albums sandwiching it: the Return to Form LP that is LTIA and what is considered the Definitive Masterpiece - Red.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:15 pm 

I actually made a mistake, I do like Lizard a bit. But I cannot enjoy Islands or Earthbound. Maybe a good reason to try it more sometime...

The gig must have been very nice. Hope they release it soon...

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
GG, in case you were wondering... Larks'Tongues, homemade vinyl-to-mp3 version, sounds great on headphones at the airport, or if you weren't wondering, either way.

There are two moments that shine with the Bruford-Muir double drumming, the revived part of LTIAP1 (as a youtube rehearsal clip titled Joy Part 1) and the violin solo section on LTIAP2... This album is a total killer: the hypnotic Talking Drums, the poetic Exiles, the funky Easy Money, the lyrical Books of Saturday and the sheer experimentation and heavy metal of the title tracks...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:28 pm 

Earthbound is weird indeed, it seemed like a desperate concession to a contractual obligation. It did damage the Burrell/Collins/Wallace group's reputation for long and it wasn't until DGM began issuing some of these '71-72 concerts as KCCC releases that reassessment began in earnest. I had some difficulty getting into Islands as well, but there are some nice cuts on the album. I do like side one at the very least.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:47 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
coevad wrote:
I just hope Mel Collins will get some improv solos.

Yell out for Formentera Lady.

downer, you may be right.
If it's anything like this, well.... 8)

http://youtu.be/u2SDT5ZIIe4

more from Tony
http://www.papabear.com/tours/crim14/crim14_10.htm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:12 pm 

BRAVO SIERRA wrote:
Tony has played and recorded non stop his whole career, my first listen was when he was with chuck mangione , that was a great band, he was fun to listen to when he was with Buddy Rich, the roar of 74.

I first saw Tony with Paul Simon in '75.

PS - Islands is one of my favorites.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:49 pm 

coevad wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
coevad wrote:

more from Tony
http://www.papabear.com/tours/crim14/crim14_10.htm

I was at the Detroit concert, CK was one of three bands that played, J Giles, and Humble Pie was the head liner. Very small crowd for CK and poor sound as I recall.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:32 pm 

Won't get to see 'em, this year, but I just ordered the new 2CD Tour Box, to keep the collection going.
Also have the "Starless" box on pre-order.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:35 am 

I am sure Mr Zappa would think of something interesting to do with this:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:40 am 

checked my old ticket i was at the philly concert, same month, i wonder what the Detroit venue was.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:37 am 

Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
First review:

http://blog.timesunion.com/localarts/re ... 914/34726/

Wow, they are doing the early '70s material! I'd be really interested in hearing how all the "Red" tunes as well as something like "The Letters" would sound like. I knew there had to be a song that would justify the use of baritone sax. I see Mel Collins is handling all four saxophones as well as flute and - what Frank Zappa himself would call "the big tube" - alto flute (can't be bass, as the bass flutes are curved). The title track of "Scarcity" was also mentioned, so that album is also represented. Which means that one does have to sit through some soprano sax noodling.

Hope there will be a European tour as well!

EDIT: A setlist http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-crim ... f9fb9.html

Slight variations in the second shows setlist
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/king-crim ... f96ee.html

Note for LA area people with no tickets yet.

All of the Hotseat packages($300-$215) are regular seats now. The prices are $168 - $99 rows G-N.
http://www.ticketmaster.com/king-crimso ... B59E997234

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:06 pm 

coevad wrote:
downer mydnyte wrote:
coevad wrote:

That's what I'm talking about. Despite Sinfield's wretched lyrics it's a damn fine song. The morph into Sailor's Tale always kicks ass. Sailor's Tale is better than everything on ITCOTKC except for Schizoid Man... Or maybe Epitaph.

I listen to the live '71-'72 band often. I love Earthbound. I like the shitty bootleg quality and the funkish jams. You can actually hear, in the music, that Fripp is uptight. Good stuff. In fact, I prefer Islands over Poseidon all the way. Backwards guitar and sleazy lyrics on Ladies Of The Road, the title track with the beautiful piano by Keith Tippet, and Mark Charig's simple and eloquent cornet at the end. Remove the bad poetry and more fans might notice it's a gorgeous song.

Lizard has insane drumming. The drummer is a badass. Better Sinfield lyrics then usual, too. First 3 tracks are all killer.

Nothing beats LTIA, Starless and Red, though. Or the live shows from that era.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:29 pm 

Funny thing I noticed on DGM Live...

http://shop.schizoidshop.com/frank-zappa-c158.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:59 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Backwards guitar and sleazy lyrics on Ladies Of The Road, the title track with the beautiful piano by Keith Tippet, and Mark Charig's simple and eloquent cornet at the end.

When I lived in England, Keith Tippett and Julie Driscoll used to live down the road from us in our village. By the time we moved there, they had moved away but still had friends there. One afternoon they came 'round for tea and I, a louche teenager, had a very long conversation with Keith about Frank Zappa whom he thought was fantastic.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 259 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next