Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 18232
Location: City Of Tiny Lites
I tend to think so...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 4237
Entirely subjective.
I know pros who think he spent waaaaay too much time when it should/could have been done in far less.

That said, they (the pros) don't have a body of work worth a ton of dough and that will live on forever.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12492
Location: EINDHOVEN
The greatest studio wizard ever is Ian McKellen.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:24 am
Posts: 981
Location: Oh, in the sky
But wasn't Rundgren a wizard, a true star?

_________________
I'm not bald; I'm taller than my hair.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 7816
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
Didn't Wood of Wizzard claim to be wizard (not that he was)?

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6766
Location: Between the Badges
Image

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12492
Location: EINDHOVEN
JPFunk, the man who wouldn't recognize a joke if it bit 'm up the ass and showed him the chunk it got from there. Including the embarrassing heart tattoo with the name of an ex scratched through.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 6980
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Zing!! There is no doubt about your sense of humour Bonny.


          :mrgreen:

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:48 pm
Posts: 37659
Location: Somewhere in time
Frank Zappa
Todd Rundgren
Mick Jones


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:53 am
Posts: 2545
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Plook wrote:
Frank Zappa
Todd Rundgren
Mick Jones



And Alan Parsons has to get some consideration...

_________________
If we're dumb . . .
Then God is dumb . . .
(An' maybe even a little bit ugly on the side)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 57
The original studio wizard:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 12492
Location: EINDHOVEN
polydigm wrote:
Zing!! There is no doubt about your sense of humour Bonny.


Aw,thanks Poly! {hug}

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 4237
Giorgio Moroder and Conny Plank are a couple of stand outs.

Eddy Offord was considered THE man when I was a kid, but I don't like the big name bands music he collaborated on at all, even if they "sound" good.

And Phil Spector can rot...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 4237
for some reason I can't EDIT, so....


how can one forget Rudy Van Gelder? Much harder than it seems, surely.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:41 am
Posts: 1198
If Zappa was so good why do we need new improved remasters, rather then the FZ-approved ones?

(Devil's Advocate moment. Please forgive me. I am an asshole etcetcetc)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 6980
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Quilt wrote:
If Zappa was so good why do we need new improved remasters, rather then the FZ-approved ones? (Devil's Advocate moment. Please forgive me. I am an asshole etcetcetc)
Very funny, but seriously, I think the answer to that is similar to comparing modern 33rpm vinyl with Edison cylinders. Zappa was in a hurry at a time when digital was still in its infancy.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:53 am
Posts: 2545
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Poly makes a fair point, and FZ did always gravitate to new technology and try to get the best out of it. I am O-L-D so I remember well the big deal with CDs initially was that they were so noise-free. By the late '70s there were so many records being released with mucho tape hiss and lousy mastering that you almost wanted to go to the store and make them play the new stuff to see if you wanted it.

Warners was the worst label in my opinion (at least for its own imprint). Frank's output was normally very low-noise. Other than Columbia Records (which almost always produced low-noise records which rarely had skipping flaws, at least me and my buddies felt that way), record production was for shit by the advent of the CD.

I think that had Frank lived he would have been constantly tinkering with his old masters to try to get what he originally wanted them to sound like.

_________________
If we're dumb . . .
Then God is dumb . . .
(An' maybe even a little bit ugly on the side)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1217
Location: Earth
polydigm wrote:
Quilt wrote:
If Zappa was so good why do we need new improved remasters, rather then the FZ-approved ones? (Devil's Advocate moment. Please forgive me. I am an asshole etcetcetc)
Very funny, but seriously, I think the answer to that is similar to comparing modern 33rpm vinyl with Edison cylinders. Zappa was in a hurry at a time when digital was still in its infancy.

Only half-true. What we have on MOFO for instance, is from Frank's original 1987 transfer, according to he liner notes. So he could have stayed as true to the originals as possible even back then, if that would have been his intentions.

Th.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:50 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:18 pm
Posts: 6766
Location: Between the Badges
Since the topic is "wizard", I gotta mention Joe Meek. A narrow spectrum of niche music, but the guy was a wizard. He made his own gear, which he would then cover in black tape so no one could copy it. He made equipment and sounds and people couldn't figure out how he did it. Thats a Wizard.

Image

_________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Don't Be Stupid Unless You Want To


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 6980
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Thinman wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Quilt wrote:
If Zappa was so good why do we need new improved remasters, rather then the FZ-approved ones? (Devil's Advocate moment. Please forgive me. I am an asshole etcetcetc)
Very funny, but seriously, I think the answer to that is similar to comparing modern 33rpm vinyl with Edison cylinders. Zappa was in a hurry at a time when digital was still in its infancy.
Only half-true. What we have on MOFO for instance, is from Frank's original 1987 transfer, according to he liner notes. So he could have stayed as true to the originals as possible even back then, if that would have been his intentions.
No need to start throwing truth around, it's not a competition. All I was answering was why the need for remastering has arisen. In some cases, the remasters are of FZ remixes, they haven't gone totally back to original.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1217
Location: Earth
polydigm wrote:
No need to start throwing truth around, it's not a competition. …

Perhaps I got you wrong and you got me wrong in return. So everything is in balance again and nothing to worry about 8)

Th.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:19 am
Posts: 7816
Location: in deepest, darkest Germany
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Since the topic is "wizard", I gotta mention Joe Meek. A narrow spectrum of niche music, but the guy was a wizard. He made his own gear, which he would then cover in black tape so no one could copy it. He made equipment and sounds and people couldn't figure out how he did it. Thats a Wizard.

Image


He hasn't got a pointy hat on...

_________________
"I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:34 am
Posts: 150
Caputh wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Since the topic is "wizard", I gotta mention Joe Meek. A narrow spectrum of niche music, but the guy was a wizard. He made his own gear, which he would then cover in black tape so no one could copy it. He made equipment and sounds and people couldn't figure out how he did it. Thats a Wizard.

Image


He hasn't got a pointy hat on...


It's in his pocket probably.
What about Mike Oldfield?

Image

_________________
RZZZZZ!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 18232
Location: City Of Tiny Lites
polydigm wrote:
Quilt wrote:
If Zappa was so good why do we need new improved remasters, rather then the FZ-approved ones? (Devil's Advocate moment. Please forgive me. I am an asshole etcetcetc)
Very funny, but seriously, I think the answer to that is similar to comparing modern 33rpm vinyl with Edison cylinders. Zappa was in a hurry at a time when digital was still in its infancy.

I sort of had this in mind when I begun the discussion: Zappa was very idiosyncratic and he did it despite knowing he would not please the masses... That is why he did it, because he could, and he wanted to play with his new toys, including the perfect drum sound (seems they spend days trying different heads, tuning, miking, etc...).

Oddly enough, when I first heard the WOIIFTM tweaked version, was the first time I heard it at all. I wasn't aware of the overdubbing stuff and I remember being puzzled how the drums sounded so clear for a record that old... 8)

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:05 am
Posts: 14
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Shrewnews and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group