Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Doors
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:54 am 

Well "From the cesspool of excitement where Jim Morrison once stood.... you don't really get the feeling that FZ was too enamoured with The Doors. Have also read a book on Morrison where he and FZ were on a radio station warning people that "drugs are bad -nkay!" but JM was apparently smashed out of his face, and FZ had a pretty dire view on drugs.<br><br>Personally, I like them a lot as I think Morrison was a talented writer and Krieger /Manzarek/Densmore were a decent tight trio. Love the way RM played the keyboards rarely looking up too. So much of their catalogue is overlooked in favour of the "famous" tunes like "LA Woman"/"Riders on the Storm".<br><br>When I was in Paris a good few years back , with a couple of hours to kill we went to the huge cemetary (Pere Lechaise - spelling may be a bit wrong sorry)where JM is "alledgedly" buried. It's so easy to find his grave as virtually every tomb/headstone has "Jim" scrawled on it with an arrow pointing you the way. Unfortunately when we got there there was no sign of "Mr Mojo Risin'" - just some old hippy curled up on his grave. After persuading him to move we took a photo of it. It's pretty sad to see the state it's in - the bust of JM has been chipped away by "fans" over the years until there's nothing left of it - you'd think people would want to respect his grave if they thought that much of him wouldn't you? Stupid bastards. <br><br>Sooo peoples, what's your view on "The Lizard King"? Do you think he was a great American poet or just some wasted smackhead?? Did The Doors add anything new to the world of music or were they just another band from LA in the right place at the right time.

Post subject: Re: The Doors
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:26 am 

funny how i forgot bout the doors when we had all those threads on a " who sucked the most " theme - i would have nominated em in every catagory. <br>sorry snakes but i never liked der doors .<br><br>mungo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:37 am 

Fair to middling for me. Some of their stuff is alright, some bores me to tears. It's another "time and place" thing to me as to their place in rock-n-roll history.<br><br>"When you're straaaaaaange........"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:48 am 

Used to be really into them when I was like 14 or 15 but the older I get the more lame they become. Morrison had some good imagery goin but he was pretty pretentious. Robby Krieger was the man!! ;D :D ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 11:48 am 

Good music to f#$k by, especialy "The soft parade" :o

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:37 pm 

I loved them and their paranoia...<br><br>Now, when I listen to them, I feel a sort of "saudade" for my "teen-age on the road period". <br><br><br>ciao

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:26 pm 

[quote author=Baby Snakes link=board=general;num=1059594867;start=0#0 date=07/30/03 at 12:54:27]Well "From the cesspool of excitement where Jim Morrison once stood.... you don't really get the feeling that FZ was too enamoured with The Doors.t the right time. [/quote]<br>I always took that the other way.... Like, it used to be good but now it's bad.....  ???<br><br><br>I like a lot of their songs a lot.<br><br>BREAK ON THROUGH<br>SOUL KITCHEN<br>LOVE ME TWO TIMES<br>MOONLIGHT DRIVE<br>MY EYES HAVE SEEN YOU<br>HELLO, I LOVE YOU<br>TOUCH ME<br>PEACE FROG<br>SHIP OF FOOLS<br>LAND HO! <br>CARS HISS BY MY WINDOW<br>L.A.WOMAN<br>L'AMERICA<br>HYACINTH HOUSE<br>RIDERS ON THE STORM.<br><br>I don't know if he was a poet or not, but I like the oddball melodies and the provocative beat.I liked the darkness of it.<br><br><br>And stop reading my mind!<br><br>we were just talking about this the other day. Like, if he hadn't died would he be as famous as he his now.<br><br><br><br> <br><br>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 2:31 pm 

imo, its music for 14 year old girls who don't know any better.  they eventually grow out of it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:01 pm 

Now that I think about it they were pretty ahead of their time. Musically some of their stuff is very adventurous and interesting....The End is great stuff. It just gets old pretty fast....or maybe we do. ???

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 3:28 pm 

[quote author=MentalTossFlycoon link=board=general;num=1059594867;start=15#15 date=07/30/03 at 18:23:52]<br>Image[/quote]<br><br>Is that John Lennon?  ;D I know who that is, MTF. I really miss watching that show. <br>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:15 pm 

The Doors hada real good stuff. Music aborted, bluesy, jazzy.... romantic, pretencious, great band fro,m LA

Post subject: re: el puertas
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:31 pm 

ray manzarek's talent was recently heard on an hour-long radio show on ray, he talked about some of the compositional aspects of some of the doors songs....light my fire was described as a comlpex progression of key changes as he demonstrated it on a piano in the studio as he narrated

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun May 06, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:35 am 

"In this world there are things that are known, and things that are unknown. In between, there are doors."<br><br>I believe this is a quote from Aldous Huxley's book "The Doors Of Perception" from which Morrison got the name for the band. (If my memory serves me well - not 100% tho')<br><br><br>Loved their music - Absolutely Live album, play it loud.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 12:42 am 

L.A. WOMAN is my favourite album.<br><br>Also loved THE DOORS, STRANGE DAYS, MORRISON HOTEL<br><br>A little love for WAITING FOR THE SUN<br><br>Not so much confidence with THE SOFT PARADE<br><br>Dislike THE DOORS IN CONCERT...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:30 am 

[quote author=sir galoot link=board=general;num=1059594867;start=0#12 date=07/30/03 at 16:26:22]<br>...<br>PEACE FROG<br>...<br>[/quote]<br><br>Yes! Peace Frog and People Are Strange are probably my favorite Doors tunes.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:03 am 

I don't rate Jim Morrison very highly as a lyricist or a poet (the "Father I want to kill you"-part in 'The End' really makes me cringe), but I sure love the music. I think a lot of lesser known Doors-songs like "Yes, the river knows" or "Queen of the Highway" are actually their best songs. <br><br>Ray Manzarek's keyboard playing really influenced me when I started out playing keys in bands, although I must say that his Farfisa organ tone does get a annoying when heard in large doses.