Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:34 am 

manichispanic wrote:
i know, i was suggesting that they were IMPROPERLY billed.

The album the Grand Wazoo was released December 1972 so the name Wazoo wasn't used for this bands september 16 1972 concert yet.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:33 am 

unica wrote:
manichispanic wrote:

The album the Grand Wazoo was released December 1972 so the name Wazoo wasn't used for this bands september 16 1972 concert yet.

this is from http://members.shaw.ca/fz-pomd/wazoo/
Frank Zappa spent most of 1972 in a wheelchair, due to injuries sustained in the incident at the Rainbow Theatre, London, on December 10, 1971. During this period, he recorded two studio albums, Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo. After he got out of the wheelchair, but with his leg still in a cast, he went on two concert tours in the last four months of 1972, the Grand Wazoo tour in September and the Petit Wazoo tour in October, November, and December.

A '55 Chevy that his brother just stoled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:36 am 

unica wrote:
manichispanic wrote:

also this from http://members.shaw.ca/fz-pomd/wazoo/gwindex.html

The Grand Wazoo was Frank Zappa's name for his band that toured in September of 1972. He used this name on stage and in the "Reprise Circular", but ads for the tour billed the concerts as being performed by "Frank Zappa", "The Mothers Of Invention", "The Mothers", and/or "Hot Rats".

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:12 pm 

Plook wrote:
KillUgly wrote:
I recall that first SNL show making a big impression on me too and Zoot Allures was also my first Zappa album and I loved it from the start. I especially remember being tickled by the lyrics to Wonderful Wino - the part about the wino man losing control of his body functions on the roller headed ladies front lawn - I thought that was hilarious. I was also about 14 at the time.

I only saw FZ once -this being the spring of 1980 at the Memorial Auditorium in Sacramento. I remember them playing alot of songs that ended up being on YAWYI and some Joe's Garage stuff. I also remember Ike was wearing a football jersey (maybe USC?). If anybody has any tapes or pictures of this show I'd like to see/hear them.

Kill - Here is what I found on your concert:

Frank Zappa's Band, March - July 1980
FZ, Ike Willis, Ray White, Arthur Barrow, David Logeman, Tommy Mars.

1980 03 30 - Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento, CA

Treacherous Cretins, Teenage Wind, Harder Than Your Husband, Bamboozled By Love, Pick Me I'm Clean, Society Pages, I'm A Beautiful Guy, Beauty Knows No Pain, Charlie's Enormous Mouth, Any Downers?, Conehead, Easy Meat, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, I Don't Wanna Get Drafted, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Dancin' Fool, Bobby Brown, Black Napkins

OK. So who does that? The first 19 songs in the concert hadn't been released yet. Thanks Plook.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:25 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Ah man, Plook I was there! You gave it away! :wink:
KU I was up in front with 2 mountin' hip- physco-dancing lushus babes I don't think they ever stopped dancing,but if I was near I was grabbed and happily danced too.-They came to where I lived 2hrs,before the show in,Sonora,Ca. and we were at Sac Memorial Auditorium 1hr40min Later! Whew I"m getting a.....Ya thats it!! BRB :mrgreen:

Another memory of that show was (and I think the statute of limitations has run out on this one) of me trying to have sex with my 15 year old girlfriend (I was 18 at the time) in that parking structure about a block down, kitty korner to the community center, prior to the show. It's the same place I always park when I go to an event on J St. A man only has a very small window in his life where he can have sex with a fifteen year old in a public place without going to jail.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:37 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KU I was up in front with 2 mountin' hip- physco-dancing lushus babes I don't think they ever stopped dancing,but if I was near I was grabbed and happily danced too.-They came to where I lived 2hrs,before the show in,Sonora,Ca. and we were at Sac Memorial Auditorium 1hr40min Later! Whew I"m getting a.....Ya thats it!! BRB :mrgreen:

Another memory of that show was (and I think the statute of limitations has run out on this one) of me trying to have sex with my 15 year old girlfriend (I was 18 at the time) in that parking structure about a block down, kitty korner to the community center, prior to the show. It's the same place I always park when I go to an event on J St. A man only has a very small window in his life where he can have sex with a fifteen year old in a public place without going to jail.

I saw Frank on this tour also at the LA Sports Arena, our setlist was:

1980 04 06 - Sports Arena, Los Angeles, CA

Watermelon In Easter Hay, Teenage Wind, Harder Than Your Husband, Bamboozled By Love, Pick Me I'm Clean, Society Pages, I'm A Beautiful Guy, Beauty Knows No Pain, Charlie's Enormous Mouth, Any Downers?, Conehead, Easy Meat, Mudd Club, The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing, Heavenly Bank Account, Suicide Chump, Jumbo Go Away, If Only She Woulda, I Don't Wanna Get Drafted, Joe's Garage, Why Does It Hurt When I Pee?, Dancin' Fool, Bobby Brown, Black Napkins, Nite Owl

This was an excellent show!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:57 pm 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:21 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Plook! You were 18 shes 15! You cradle robber.you.Thats statutory rape,if her dad is like most dads. :wink:
Now every time I go by the J st. garage, it'll give me a good chuckle. I've been in that position before,just not in that garage!
So now on when I get over to Sac. I can say; Ya I saw FZ there and over there is were Plook was Plooking a hot young teenage groupie.! :mrgreen:
OOPs I mean KillUgly :oops: Sorry mates! :mrgreen:

When I met my wife at 19 I was dating a 16 year old gal, it was not as big a deal in the 70's because back then people were 18 & sometimes 19 when they were seniors depending on your birthday. I turned 18 as senior, it is with the advent of laws designed to get child molesters & rapist that those who date on the teenage magic cusp of 18 have gotten swept up. This is why the judges need more discretion and less mandatory minimums, some stuff is common sense

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:35 pm 

:wink:
KillUgly wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Another memory of that show was (and I think the statute of limitations has run out on this one) of me trying to have sex with my 15 year old girlfriend (I was 18 at the time) in that parking structure about a block down, kitty korner to the community center, prior to the show. It's the same place I always park when I go to an event on J St.
Quote:
A man only has a very small window in his life where he can have sex with a fifteen year old in a public place without going to jail
What country are you from...Cause if that was my daughter.. I could only hope that after I splattered your head across the sidewalk that I wouldn't go to jail either!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:59 pm 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:37 pm 

Shit Poodle! Sorry for sharing. I'm glad you weren't my girlfriend's Dad or else you could be my murderer.

When society puts an arbitrary line down like this there's gonna be a lotta crossing. I'm one of many that I know of from my time that was "guilty". I don't feel the least bit guilty about this association. She was far more experienced than me. Sorry if your parenthood makes you sensitive to this issue. My girlfriend 30 years ago does not equal your daughter today.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:23 pm 

sitting in a general admission lineup
hamilton ontario, 11 o'clock in the morning
got up too early, terrible mistake
it was a hundred degees below zero
sittin there face-to-face
with a 75¢ doob of rancid homegrown about as big as my finger
and a bowl of horribly fore-shortened red lebanese
and i said to myself, this is the life

fz, bozzio, estrada, brock, lewis about a month after the joe's menage show; guitar orgy w/norma bell, jobson sat in on a few songs ... 30-minute chunga, followed by zoot & filthy habits

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:18 am 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:35 am 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:08 pm 

KillUgly wrote:
Shit Poodle! Sorry for sharing. I'm glad you weren't my girlfriend's Dad or else you could be my murderer.

When society puts an arbitrary line down like this there's gonna be a lotta crossing. I'm one of many that I know of from my time that was "guilty". I don't feel the least bit guilty about this association. She was far more experienced than me. Sorry if your parenthood makes you sensitive to this issue. My girlfriend 30 years ago does not equal your daughter today.

Down Boy..I was being sarcastic in my post..Just like to get peoples panties in a bunch. It really brings out the best..Don't you think! Besides I never had any kids with my wife, So what the fuck do I know about parenthood... and if their old enough to bleed.. their old enough to breed! Now..Back to Early Recollections :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:11 pm 

Well, OK then. There are definitely some lines that can be crossed though. It's one thing to be barely eighteen and have an underage girlfriend than it is to be 35 or even 25 or maybe even 20. Ya know what I mean? And if her Daddy knew maybe he would have liked to perform violence on me. I'm a parent but I have boys. I can imagine what I would be like though if I had daughters.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:52 pm 

Flea wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
I'm not old enough to have any early memories of the Mothers. :(

hey watch it! i wasnt born even before 88 tour, so keep that memories that you have and worship them :mrgreen:
(actually I was born in 89 :cry: )

I just mean I was alive but not cognizant of them.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:31 am 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:24 pm 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:39 pm 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:16 pm 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:31 pm 

My Dad played lots of music whilst I was growing up and I always knew Peaches En Regalia and Willie the Pimp. when you are little tunes like that can sound quite funny and my sister and I used to laugh at things like the tambourine jangle and percussion rattle in the verse of Willie the Pimp.
I can still see why we used to find it funny.
After being into Hendrix for a couple of years when I was in my mid to late teens I wanted more and started to try and expand my horizons. Then one day I went and got Dad's vinyl Hot Rats out and started listening to it. Went to my local record shop after a couple of weeks, flicked through the Zappa section and came home with WOIIFTM because of the cover and the year that it was recorded. Heard that guitar intro and then WNTPC and was hooked. I still had many many disappointments over the next couple of years however I have to say. I overcame most of these though although I really don't like his stuff after the mid 70's (orchestral stuff excluded)
I never saw him but saw the Grandmothers in Chester in '97 and the Grandemothers in Birkinhead in '08 and a performance by John Adams of The Perfect Stranger and Dupress Parodise in '96 - I found the flyer for this on Friday night :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:24 am 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:38 am 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:23 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
MJ was dead a long time ago.Did we ever get to have a candlelight vigil for FZ ?? And where is FRANK ZAPPA'S star on the Hollywood walk of fame? :? :mrgreen:

that would have to be something the family pays for. big bucks, like 100,000 dollars

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next