Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:23 am 

jimmie d killed the forum wrote:
The deletion of certain vinyl passages when the cds were mastered. Too many to mention at this time. Why don't y'all have a whack at it. 8)

I'll start the ball rolling with the Confinement Loaf rap deleted from Broadway The Hard Way.

Too late to "start the ball rolling with the Confinement Loaf rap .....I already started it with "Willie the Pimp part 2" from the Fillmore CD. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:17 am 

Carvin_Abuser wrote:
George Duke is a great musician, but I think he rushed the intro to Eat That Question on the Grand Wazoo. It just sounds run together to me. Bobby Martin's phrasing on the Make A Jazz Noise Here version is much better. The ironic thing is that it sounds like Martin makes a mistake right before the band comes in.

ETQ intro on MAJNH was played by Mike Keneally.

owthathurts wrote:
"Sheik" has some pretty glaring errors. At the end of "Flakes" there's some hideous low-end clicking that apparently is a poorly mixed bass drum overdub.

That clicking comes from an electronic drum device (then brand new technology) used by T. Bozzio in those days.

@everybody:
Things that sound like errors or mistakes to your quantized deep-frozen sequenzer-damaged ears of today might just be real-world handmade lively music played by real humans ;-)

@Rhymin' Man:
I've been listening to this over and over again yesterday and I still don't get it. WTF is wrong with Tommy's playing on Tinseltown Rebellion?

Th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:48 am 

just plain doug wrote:
The deletion of certain vinyl passages when the cds were mastered. Too many to mention at this time. Why don't y'all have a whack at it. 8)

I'll start the ball rolling with the Confinement Loaf rap deleted from Broadway The Hard Way.

Too late to "start the ball rolling with the Confinement Loaf rap .....I already started it with "Willie the Pimp part 2" from the Fillmore CD. :o

The decision to use crossfades between sides on the most recent Tinseltown and SUNPYG CDs so that some music gets buried.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:03 pm 

Thinman wrote:
Carvin_Abuser wrote:
George Duke is a great musician, but I think he rushed the intro to Eat That Question on the Grand Wazoo. It just sounds run together to me. Bobby Martin's phrasing on the Make A Jazz Noise Here version is much better. The ironic thing is that it sounds like Martin makes a mistake right before the band comes in.

ETQ intro on MAJNH was played by Mike Keneally.

Thanks for the correction.

They never won't

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:15 pm 

THE HORNS ON THE LSO TAKE OF STRICTLY GENTEEL. Whether or not it was a 'cultural' thing to have a bar backstage, those glaring mistakes are still evident. So it's either they got drunk and murdered the music (which culture CANNOT excuse) or they just suck. Hearing other tapes by the LSO leads me to believe it's the former.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:40 am 
Banned

pbuzby wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

The decision to use crossfades between sides on the most recent Tinseltown and SUNPYG CDs so that some music gets buried.

I haven't heard the crossfades, but the idea sounds like a total fuck-up.

Another mistake was editing out the come out of the closet rap from Later That Night on the cd version of the album Cruising With Ruben & The Jets.

Last edited by jimmie d killed the forum on Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:26 am 

You're talkin' Later That Night, Jimmie D.
And I do agree with you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:45 am 
Banned

buddy wrote:
You're talkin' Later That Night, Jimmie D.
And I do agree with you...

Yes, you're right, I meant Later That Night. Darn those songs that begin with the letter L. :D

I'll edit my post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:41 am 

There's also that weird tape warble at the start of "Little House I Used to Live In" on BWS. Read somewhere that it was the result of a bad splice or some kind of corrosion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:29 am 

owthathurts wrote:
There's also that weird tape warble at the start of "Little House I Used to Live In" on BWS. Read somewhere that it was the result of a bad splice or some kind of corrosion?

Bad edit, according to Courrier's Dangerous Kitchen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:19 pm 

Thinman wrote:
@Rhymin' Man:
I've been listening to this over and over again yesterday and I still don't get it. WTF is wrong with Tommy's playing on Tinseltown Rebellion?

Th.

I'm talking about measure 3. The second and third note are clearly rushed. I've just compared it to the version of YCDTOSAM 5 and the rhythm is correct there. Compared it with the second entrance of the theme at approx. 00:50. It's a small error, I know, but with Frank's overdubbing skills I always wondered why we didn't fix that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:15 pm 

Quote:
… I've just compared it to the version of YCDTOSAM 5 …

I still don't know what you are talking about. On my copy of YCDTOSAM 5 there is no version of "Tinseltown Rebellion". So I can't compare.

:?:

Th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:27 pm 

Rhymin' Man wrote:
It's a small error, I know, but with Frank's overdubbing skills I always wondered why we didn't fix that.

You must have good ears. Maybe the reason he didn't fix it was because even HE didn't notice it. This reminds me of a very minor mistake I heard in Dupree's Paradise on Make A Jazz Noise Here. At about 7:55 one of the horns makes a tiny timing mistake before they go back into the main theme. Now whenever I listen to it I hear that mistake and I always wondered if Frank ever noticed it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:00 am 

Quote:
I'm talking about measure 3. The second and third note are clearly rushed. I've just compared it to the version of YCDTOSAM 5 and the rhythm is correct there. Compared it with the second entrance of the theme at approx. 00:50. It's a small error, I know, but with Frank's overdubbing skills I always wondered why we didn't fix that.

Finally I've got it – you are talking about Easy Meat. Now, confusing EM and TTR is what I would call a mistake! :wink:

BTW, the passage you are referring to is a little bit shakey but this is not important. No problem that needed to be fixed. Just Tommy-ism.

Th.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:14 am 

The bit when the album ends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:46 am 

Thinman wrote:
Quote:

Finally I've got it – you are talking about Easy Meat. Now, confusing EM and TTR is what I would call a mistake! :wink:

BTW, the passage you are referring to is a little bit shakey but this is not important. No problem that needed to be fixed. Just Tommy-ism.

Th.

Jesus a supid mistake. Yes, I was talking about Easy Meat on TTR, but forgot to mention the first part. Sorry for the confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:13 am 

Rhymin' Man wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Quote:

Th.

Jesus a supid mistake. Yes, I was talking about Easy Meat on TTR, but forgot to mention the first part. Sorry for the confusion.

This melody was overdubbed in the studio for the TR version. It wasn't part of the arrangement at the time of the Philadelphia version used as the basic track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:39 am 

A second Thunes' error (I think)....

On 'In France' on YCDTOSA Vol. 3, Disc 1, go to 2:03 and Frank says 'suck that harmonica son', Thunes plays a minor 3rd and a major 3rd - I don't have any instrument here so I'm probably wrong with that - but anyway, its two chromatic notes just before the solo kicks in on the beat and it sounds terrible.

I would say that I love Thunes' playing though, and he always held himself accountable for mistakes he's made. Not surprising given how many notes he'd play improv.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:12 pm 

Does anyone know why FZ kept in the mistake he made in the vocal introduction to Token of My Extreme in Joe's Garage? The one where he repeats "goes in and pays a lot of money to L. Ron Hoover..." after flubbing a word. It seems like kind of weird thing to not retake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:04 pm 

Tom29 wrote:
Does anyone know why FZ kept in the mistake he made in the vocal introduction to Token of My Extreme in Joe's Garage? The one where he repeats "goes in and pays a lot of money to L. Ron Hoover..." after flubbing a word. It seems like kind of weird thing to not retake.

The only thing I can figure is the whole Joes Garage is supposd to be a low-budget type production (look at the stage directions in the liner notes). Perhaps he thought the flub made it sound more like a high-school musical?

The one that really gets me every time I hear it is the aweful edit in the Stage 3 version of The Evil Prince, during the "Potatoes and Queers" line. It's just so jarring, and it's right at the climax to the verse.

"Ya like horses?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:18 pm 

The intro for the MAJNH version of "Advance Romance" is at a slower tempo than the rest of the song. The transition between the two parts is really jarring.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:12 am 

Rhymin' Man wrote:
Hi,

I'm just listening to Tinsel Town Rebellion and I always get irritated when hearing Tommy Mars making a wrong entry on the theme right in the beginning. I always wondered why Zappa didn't overdub that.

Do you know any other mistakes?

What makes you think it's wrong? And which song are you referring to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:17 am 

Chris. wrote:

I don't have any more plans for taking older material and adding stuff to it -- those are the only two albums that it was done -- and I would describe any criticism of the addition of drums and bass as something less than a tempest in a teapot. If you've got time to worry about that, you really must have too much time on your hands. There's too many other important musical, social and intellectual problems floating around the country today to give a rat's ass as to whether or not I swapped the bass and drums on We're Only in It for the Money.

Actually he did do it on another album, Man From Utopia.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:24 pm 

the most irritating error is in fact very new to the catalog:

Variant Processional March from Wazoo:

The band fucks up (or maybe Frank fucked up at conducting) at 0:35- 0:40. I find this very irritating, given that it comes at the very beginning of the main theme. In other words, there is no way to ignore it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:39 am 

What about the disappearance of the tilte subject line on Freak Out's 'Are You Hung Up? That one really bothers me. It is on the ZFF re release whereas the Rykodisc version has the line intact. Was it originally censored from the vinyl release????