Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:27 am 

VCF wrote:
I got a promotion, a raise, and I'm gettin' married. :shock: 8)

vcf

Wow! Congratz!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:12 pm 

Thanx to all for the Gratz! 8)

vcf

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:49 pm 
Banned

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/1 ... index.html

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:29 am 

From the Barking Pumpkin herself:

gz wrote:
We have it on good autority that MOFO will begin shipping today after 3:00 pm Easter Standard Time. Therefore, Pre-order closes today.

Music is the Best!

gz

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:01 am 

Right now we're at war with TNT Post Group. But there's been a break-through in the whole nasty case.

It all started two months ago when a man arrived at our door with a heavy package, containing car brakes. He dropped it on the ground. It made a nasty sound, so we wanted to open it.
It couldn't easily be opened, so I had to sign for it (and signing means you got it undamaged) even before we could see if something broke.
Fortunately the brakes were all-right.

Shortly after that, we had bought a pack of chocolate sprinkles that turned out to have gone bad. We phoned the manufacturer. They requested we send the package back to them free of cost, and gave us the address.
So we sent it to them. The man at the post office took 10 minutes to come up to me, for whatever reason. He was smoking (though it was clearly a non-smoking area). He gave me a form I had to fill in that had a coffee stain on it, left and stayed away for 10 more minutes, and took the package.

A week later, we got it back. Apparently it had been "refused". We had to pay twice the postage costs, total of over 14 Euros. When we phoned the manufacturer they said they hadn't refused anything.

Some time later, my father bought a Dinky Toy car at E-bay, a rusty little car with two wheels missing. It cost $0,99.
The guy who posted it, put in the "value in US$" field "99c" (you know, a c with a stripe).
This was interpreted by the people at the post as $99. So they sent it to Customs.
When the package arrived at home, we were forced to pay E 14,63 in taxes (over the 76 E that the apparent value was ($99)) plus E 5 custom costs for a rusty toy car.

We phoned the customer service to complain, but they said they didn't make any mistake and the value was indeed $99. My father got very cross, and after a lot of phoning he finally got arranged that someone would make an appointment the next day to meet him and open the package with him. No appointment was made the next day.
So my father faxed them: the E-bay receipt, a picture of the Customs bill, a picture of the actual package saying 99c, and an explanation. TNT phoned back that he'd get the money back.

Today we got 2 letters in the mail. They're identical, though each has its own envelope. The letter is only one paragraph long and is packed with grammatical errors and typos. For instance, it's dated 1113 December, and it says my father can get the E 14.64 plus E 5.00 = E 19.63 back. Hurray for school.

Unfortunately we have spent more than 20 euros in phone calls trying to get that money back. And what will happen to the sprinkle package?

Anyway we won't be sending Christmas cards this year.
So, a merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:11 am 

TNT just phoned we won't be getting the phone costs back from them, but we can still try customs. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:07 am 

Happy christmas and a bright new year for you and your loved ones too BBP.

Remember, FLAKES are widespread throughout the globe!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:08 am 

George ..

story
vid

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 2:13 am 

Wolfowitz resigns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:34 am 

Saw a story on CNN - the Dr.Sanjay Gupta segment - whose title was "Toxic Child Car Seats" or something like that. Oh no, I though... yet another annoying public health emergency. But in the course of the story, an expert (don't you love experts?) said that he couldn't see that it would pose a problem, unless the child "literally ate the child seat."

Whew. I mean my daughter will eat anything, but still... I feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:34 am 

Bird defecates on Bush

United States President George W. Bush received an unwelcome gift from an overhead-flying sparrow, which deposited a fresh batch of its feces on the left sleeve of Bush's suit.

Bush was addressing the American press in the White House's Rose Garden. The incident occurred just as Bush said "I've got confidence in Al Gonzales doin' the job," referring to a question asked by a reporter about the controversial dismissal of several U.S. attorneys. Bush then tried to remove the offending material several times with his hand.

Deputy Press Secretary Dana Perino said the 'poo-drop' signified good luck saying, "It was his lucky day...everyone knows that's a sign of good luck."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 8:08 am 

That bird does what we're all thinking!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:46 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Bird defecates on Bush

United States President George W. Bush received an unwelcome gift from an overhead-flying sparrow, which deposited a fresh batch of its feces on the left sleeve of Bush's suit.

Bush was addressing the American press in the White House's Rose Garden. The incident occurred just as Bush said "I've got confidence in Al Gonzales doin' the job," referring to a question asked by a reporter about the controversial dismissal of several U.S. attorneys. Bush then tried to remove the offending material several times with his hand.

Deputy Press Secretary Dana Perino said the 'poo-drop' signified good luck saying, "It was his lucky day...everyone knows that's a sign of good luck."

Wow, that was mean...

The good news we all were awaiting for:
way to go, mankind...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:32 am 

'Machete' to the rescue: Actor Danny Trejo helps save child trapped in overturned car in Sylmar

https://abc7.com/actor-danny-trejo-helps-save-child-in-sylmar-car-crash/5451006/

By ABC7.com staff
Thursday, August 8, 2019

SYLMAR, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Well known for playing villains, actor Danny Trejo got the chance to be a real-life hero on Wednesday when he helped rescue a young special-needs child trapped in an overturned car in Sylmar.

Trejo happened to be in the area when two cars collided Wednesday afternoon in the area of Hubbard Street and Jackman Avenue.

One of the vehicles overturned onto its roof and a young child was trapped inside, strapped into a car seat.

Trejo and another bystander helped rescue the child.

Trejo crawled into the overturned wreckage from one side, he recalled, but he couldn't unbuckle the child's car seat from that angle.

The other bystander, a young woman, crawled in from the other side of the overturned vehicle and was able to undo the buckle. Trejo was then able to get the baby out of the car seat and pulled safely from the wreckage.

While that was happening, the boy's grandmother remained trapped in the driver's seat. Firefighters had to use equipment to free her.

Trejo says while the firefighters were working to free the woman, he was trying to distract the boy from the scene.

He said he works with special-needs children so he knew how to keep the little boy calm.

"He was panicked. I said OK, we have to use our superpowers. So he screamed 'superpowers' and we started yelling 'superpowers," Trejo said. "I said do this, with the muscles. He said 'muscles.'"

"We got kind of a bond. I kept facing him away from the accident."

The Los Angeles Fire Department said three people were transported to a hospital, but there were no life-threatening injuries.

The cause of the accident remains under investigation. But Trejo said it appeared to him that the other driver ran a red light, smashing into the vehicle that held the young boy and his grandmother.

He had some advice for other motorists and parents:

"Pay attention," he said.

"And the only thing that saved that little kid was his car seat, honest to God."

The 75-year-old Trejo, who grew up in Los Angeles and lives in the San Fernando Valley, has made a career of playing tough guys and villains. He's perhaps most identified with the character Machete from several Robert Rodriguez films.

In recent years, he's also branched out to the food business, with a taco restaurant and a Hollywood doughnut shop.

"Everything good that has happened to me has happened as a direct result of helping someone else. Everything," he told Eyewitness News.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:31 am 

A sunflower super bloom explodes in North Dakota
AJ Willingham, CNN • Published 15th August 2019

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/sunflower-super-bloom-north-dakota-trnd/index.html

Sunflower tourism is big business for farms and parks across the country.

Just because kids are going back to school and store shelves are filling up with Halloween goodies doesn't mean summer is over yet. In fact, in North Dakota, the bright fields of sunflowers are just reaching their peak, and they're a perfect place for tourists who don't want to let go of the summer sunshine.
According to the North Dakota department of tourism, August is high season for sunflowers in the state, and there are thousands of acres of blooms ready for all of your nature-loving, picture-taking needs.
"North Dakota actually ranks in the top-two for sunflower production year-over-year, so travelers are venturing to the state to take in the picturesque view," North Dakota Tourism said.

Sunflower tourism is big business for farms and parks across the country. One reason: The trendy flowers make the perfect backdrop for oh-so-important social media posts. Of course, they're also just downright beautiful to behold.
In some areas, sunflower fields set the stage for dove hunting season, so the recent boost in people seeking an afternoon among the flowers is just an added bonus to an already established activity.

North Dakota Tourism has pinpointed some of the more popular places where tourists can take in the view, but it's also reminding tourists to be courteous in their flower-peeping efforts.
"Those viewing the colorful crops in North Dakota are reminded not to enter any field without the landowner's permission," the agency website warns.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:43 am 

Good news - I found a new dentist
Bad news - I need a couple of fillings
Good news - Dentistry is in the 21st century (silver lining)

I shiver thinking about how this procedure was done a hundred years ago.
Why the headlock, doc?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:59 am 

A Flood of Generosity and Singing Offers Flow in for Homeless Opera Sensation From Subway
By
Good News Network -
Oct 6, 2019

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/homeless-subway-singing-russian-woman-gets-new-life/

The City of Angels opened their hearts for a woman with an angelic voice, and it’s lifting her up to new heights.

A homeless Russian-American woman was singing opera in the subway when an admiring police officer asked if he could tweet a video of her voice—and, now she is now beyond grateful to the man who changed her life.

After the melodic encounter rocketed her to fame, the folks at the LA police department asked Emily Zamourka what they could do for her.

What she wanted most was to thank Officer Frazier for sharing the video, so they set up a meeting:

“I can’t believe this is happening,” she said as she broke into tears and embraced the brawny Frazier who wrapped her in a bear hug.

In just one day, the video of her voice echoing on a subway platform opened a floodgate of online donations and paid singing gigs. On Saturday, she sang the identical operatic song in front of thousands at the grand opening of Historic Little Italy in the San Pedro area of Los Angeles.

Los Angeles councilman Joe Buscaino, an Italian-American who was involved with event organizers, invited Zamourka to do a performance. After his speech, he introduced her to the crowd before she sang the Italian aria by Puccinni.

Holding the microphone, she said, “I’m so glad that I could touch your hearts with my voice. Thank you so much. I’m so overwhelmed.”

The councilman and his staff have taken the formerly homeless woman under their wing, helping her to get shelter and paying her $700 for the 3-minute performance.

After serious health problems a decade ago, the 52-year-old musician and former piano teacher was struggling to make ends meet. Then, disaster stuck when, she said, the $10,000 violin, which she played on sidewalks in order to make extra money, was taken and destroyed by a passerby. After that, she became homeless.

A GoFundMe campaign started by a consultant for Buscaino has raised more than $68,000—with many donors hoping it will be enough to replace her violin.

Zamourka says so many violins have been offered to her since the story went viral—and she “very much appreciates“ all the generosity—but she is waiting for an opportunity to acquire one that is closer to the stringed beauty that she lost.

“My violin was a very special violin,” she told TMZ. “I’m looking for an instrument that I can fall in love with.”

Over the whirlwind of last week, Zamourka was offered a recording contract from music producer Joel Diamond who drafted an offer letter in the hopes of creating a classical-EDM crossover hit. But with counsel from others, she is wisely keeping her options open.

She just wants to return to her normal life, working again as an artist to sustain herself. Thanks to Officer Frazier and all the kind donations, it looks like that dream is just around the corner.

WATCH the video of her Little Italy performance…
https://cbsloc.al/2ANdE2m

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:35 pm 

Hey, We Have 10 New Kinds of Birds Now
This is a pretty big deal...Something to actually tweet about :mrgreen: (MB)

By Daisy Hernandez
Jan 13, 2020

Researchers have discovered several new species and subspecies of songbirds on the Indonesian archipelago of Wallacea.

Typically, scientists only find five to six new bird species each year, so this is incredibly rare.

Conservation efforts are needed to ensure that the new birds will be able to survive for more than a few years before being wiped out thanks to natural and man-made disasters like forest fires and logging.

The National University of Singapore (NUS) teamed up with the Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI) to research avian diversity and found five new species and an additional five subspecies. The scientists published their research in Science, where they say these recent findings are especially significant because “identifying new taxa of charismatic vertebrates, like birds, is rare.”

The stats certainly back up the claim. Since 1999, researchers have only found an average of five to six new birds a year. That this study team hit the quota in one fell swoop, in a very “geographically limited area”—where there are endemic populations of animals living in isolation—is cause for celebration.

Frank Rheindt, associate professor of biological sciences at NUS, focused his research on Taliabu and Peleng, two islands within Wallacea. Additionally, Rheindt and his team put a lot of their efforts into surveying areas where explorers—like Sir Alfred Wallace, who the archipelago is named after—hadn’t spent much time in the past.

Rheindt’s methodology paid off. He and his team discovered five new types of songbirds, including:

Taliabu
The three new species are the Taliabu Grasshopper-Warbler, Taliabu Myzomela, and the Taliabu Leaf-Warbler. The three subspecies are Taliabu Snowy-browed Flycatcher, Taliabu Island Thrush, and the Sula Mountain Leaftoiler.

Peleng
The two new species are the Peleng Fantail and the Peleng Leaf-Warbler. The new subspecies are the Banggai Mountain Leaftoiler.

Togian
The researchers found the Togian Jungle-Flycatcher on this island.

The study team hopes its discoveries will prompt conservation efforts, considering the amount of deforestation and forest fires that Taliabu and Peleng have seen.

“Long-lasting conservation action is needed for some of the new forms to survive longer than a couple of decades beyond their date of description,” Rheindt says in a press release.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:15 am 

^^Cool!^^ :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:18 pm 

Florida to purchase 20,000 acres of Everglades wetlands to prevent oil drilling
It was the largest wetland acquisition in a decade, according to the governor.

By
Ella Torres
January 16, 2020, 5:13 PM
4 min read

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection will purchase 20,000 acres of wetlands in the Everglades in an effort to save the area from oil drilling, the governor announced.

It was the largest wetland acquisition in a decade, according to a press release from Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis' office.

The wetlands affected, which are located in the Water Conservation Area 3 in Dade and Broward Counties, had previously been owned by Kanter Real Estate LLC. Kanter and the state's Department of Environmental Protection recently reached an agreement and the acquisition of the land was announced Wednesday.

"This significant purchase will permanently save these lands from oil drilling. I’m proud of our progress, but also recognize this is just the beginning," DeSantis said in a statement. "I will continue to fight every day for the Everglades and Florida’s environment."

The wetland acquisition will protect the wildlife habitat of more 60 endangered and threatened species and support expedited restoration work on the Everglades Agricultural Area Reservoir, according to the governor's office.

Water Conservation Area 3 is part of Everglades Protection Area, described as "one of the most important wetland systems in the Everglades ecosystem."

In February 2019, a Florida appeals court ruled that the real estate company would be able to drill an exploratory well in the Everglades, according to court documents.

The company's president, John Kanter, wanted to drill on a 20-mile-wide, 150-mile-long stretch of shale between Miami and Fort Myers dubbed the Sunniland Trend, according to the Miami Herald.

With the new acquisition by the state, about 600,000 acres of land are now protected in Water Conservation Area 3 and will be restored, the governor said.

Kimberly Mitchell, the executive director at The Everglades Trust, called the acquisition "fantastic news."

"This Governor keeps plowing through the morass that has confounded every Governor before him. We have never doubted the sincerity of his commitment," Mitchell said in a statement.

DeSantis' office did not immediately respond to ABC News' question as to how much the land purchase will cost.

He has also requested sustained funding at $625 million annually for the Everglades, springs and clean water to help with restoration, according to the press release.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5