Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 305  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:35 am 

yes cal, biff. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:28 am 

From DISSECTION website:

CONFIRMED - John from DISSECTION commited suicide
Body: As rumours have started to spread we feel obliged to confirm Jon Nödtveidt's death.
Jon Nödtveidt was a man who lived his life according to his convictions and True Will. A couple of days ago he chose to end his life by his own hands. As a true Satanist he led his life in the way he wanted and ended it when he felt that he had fulfilled his self-created destiny. Not everyone will have understanding or acceptance for his personal path in this life and beyond, but all must respect his choice.

Those of us who have met him in his last days can assure that he was more focussed, happier and stronger than ever. It is our full conviction that he left this world of lies with a scornful laughter, knowing that he had fulfilled everything that he had set up for himself to accomplish. The empty space that he leaves behind will be filled with the dark essence that he manifested through his life and black-magical work. His legacy and Luciferian Fire will live on through those few who truly knew him and appreciated his work for what it really was and still is. As our brother's goal in life and death never was to "Rest in Peace", we will instead wish him victories in all battles to come, until the Acosmic Destiny has been fulfilled.

For the glory of the Dark Gods and the Wrathful Chaos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:36 am 

dove_grey wrote:

you sure ?

there's nothing come up on a google search. where did you hear?

i emailed him once, he assured me it was him, i don't know though..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:39 am 

dove_grey wrote:

That's odd Dove, I haven't heard that anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:57 am 

I've just checked wikipedia and nothing was said about him passing away.

Neither does his official website:

http://www.tomwilsonusa.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:06 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
I've just checked wikipedia and nothing was said about him passing away.

Neither does his official website:

http://www.tomwilsonusa.com/

Yeah, I couldn't find it anywhere either. :?

Post subject: Bruno Kirby just died!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:58 am 
Banned

Bruno Kirby, 57; Movie, TV and Stage Character Actor

Bruno Kirby, a versatile character actor with a flair for comedy who was best known for his roles in "When Harry Met Sally … " "City Slickers" and "Good Morning, Vietnam," has died. He was 57.

Kirby died Monday in a Los Angeles hospital from complications of recently diagnosed leukemia, said family spokesman Bill Harrison.

A native New Yorker with a distinctively high, husky voice, Kirby played the by-the-rules lieutenant who lacked a sense of humor in "Good Morning, Vietnam" (1987), Billy Crystal's good friend in both "When Harry Met Sally … " (1989) and "City Slickers" (1991) and Marlon Brando's nephew in "The Freshman" (1990).

In a stage, screen and television career that spanned the last 35 years, Kirby also played Young Clemenza in "The Godfather: Part II" and appeared in such films as "The Basketball Diaries," "Sleepers" and "Donnie Brasco."

"I think he was an incredibly thoughtful actor," said Barry Levinson, who directed Kirby in "Tin Men," "Good Morning, Vietnam," "Sleepers" and a 1995 episode of NBC-TV's "Homicide: Life on the Street."

"He really thought through what he was going to do so he could begin to work up a character, and he had great specificity to the little things he'd bring to the character he was playing," Levinson told The Times on Wednesday.

In the 1987 comedy-drama "Tin Men," in which Kirby played a salesman named Mouse, "he ended up putting wax or something behind his ears to make them extend out a little more, and he played the character as very fastidious," Levinson said.

In "Sleepers," Levinson said, Kirby showed up with the top of his head shaved bald.

"He was always thinking about how to embellish a character, sometimes in a very subtle way, but to bring something else to the table," Levinson added.

Rob Reiner, who directed Kirby in "When Harry Met Sally … " and the 1984 comedy "This Is Spinal Tap," in which Kirby played a limo driver, remembered his longtime friend as "one of the most generous persons I have ever met in my life."

"I think that sensitivity he had toward other people is what he was able to use in his work," Reiner told The Times on Wednesday.

"He was also able to blend incredible honesty with humor" in his roles, said Reiner, who first met Kirby in the 1970s. "That's a rare combination you find in actors — that they become so truthful and real and yet are able to inject humor into it."

In the early 1980s, Kirby played on a softball team with Reiner, Crystal and Christopher Guest. Kirby's role as Crystal's best friend in "When Harry Met Sally … ," Reiner said, was a "natural extension in what was happening in our real lives. We all hung out together and were friends, so the character he played was close to how he and Billy really were."

In a brief statement Wednesday, Crystal said the death of Kirby was "a terrible loss."

Kirby made his Broadway debut in 1991, replacing Kevin Spacey as Uncle Louie the gangster in Neil Simon's Pulitzer Prize-winning play "Lost in Yonkers."

In 1997, he starred as writer Alan Zweibel in Zweibel's affectionate play about his friendship with comedian Gilda Radner in the off-Broadway production "Bunny Bunny."

"I've been very lucky," Kirby told the New York Daily News in 1990. "And in this business, you have to have a certain amount of timing and luck because I know, right now as we're sitting here talking, there's a guy driving a cab in New York City who can put me away."

The son of actor Bruce Kirby, he was born Bruno Giovanni Quidaciolu in New York City on April 28, 1949, and grew up in the city's notorious Hell's Kitchen section. He moved to California in the late '60s.

Among his early film credits are the 1971 drama "The Young Graduates" and the 1973 drama "The Harrad Experiment." He also played Richard Castellano's son in the short-lived 1972 TV situation comedy "The Super."

More recently, he appeared on the HBO cable TV series "Entourage."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:09 pm 

you know what? my source was my 2 nephews! so, it may not be true...maybe thomas f. wilson was in a tv movie in which his character dies, they're still at the age (12 & soon to be 10) where the lines blur with fact and fiction about actors. sorry bout that....especially to mr. wilson! :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:28 am 

India shehnai maestro dies at 91

Legendary musician Ustad Bismillah Khan, India's best known shehnai player, has died aged 91.

He suffered a heart attack in hospital in his home city of Varanasi early on Monday, his private secretary said.

Khan is credited with popularising shehnai, a wind instrument which can be loosely compared to an oboe, and elevating its status in India.

India's government has declared a day of national mourning. A state funeral is to be held later on Monday.

Jewel of India

Bismillah Khan was admitted to hospital last week after he complained of weakness.

A practising Muslim, he made the Hindu holy town of Varanasi (also known as Benares) his home and could often be seen playing by the banks of the holy river Ganges, offering prayers to the Hindu goddess of learning, Saraswati.

Khan often played shehnai in the local temples too.

He was seen as a symbol of India's religious pluralism and harmony for people of different faiths, and was awarded the country's highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna (Jewel of India), in 2001.

A high point in his career was when he played shehnai at Delhi's Red Fort on the eve of India's Independence in 1947.

Born on 21 March, 1916, into a family of court musicians, Khan started training at the young age of six and was soon regarded as a master in his own right.

He was known for living a simple and austere life at his home in a narrow alleyway of Varanasi and cycle-rickshaw was his favourite mode of transport.

His body is being kept in a park in Varanasi to enable people to pay their last respects before his funeral.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5269994.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:37 pm 

Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikaahu ONZ DBE

The maori queen was buried yesterdy atop Mt Taupiri
as figurehead for the kingitanga movement succession has been handed to her son

she was noble extremely dignified and always graceful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 1:05 pm 

dove_grey wrote:
you know what? my source was my 2 nephews! so, it may not be true...maybe thomas f. wilson was in a tv movie in which his character dies, they're still at the age (12 & soon to be 10) where the lines blur with fact and fiction about actors. sorry bout that....especially to mr. wilson! :oops:

How dare you. I've been in tears all weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:05 pm 

WWII photographer Rosenthal dies

Joe Rosenthal - the man who took the iconic photograph of six US WWII troops raising their country's flag over Iwo Jima - has died aged 94.

His daughter said he had died in San Francisco of natural causes.

Mr Rosenthal won a Pulitzer Prize for the 1945 flag-raising photo, which later served as a model for the Marine Corps Memorial in Arlington, Virginia.

The picture was taken on 23 February, four days after US troops landed on the small strategic Pacific island.

The scene captured by Mr Rosenthal shows the second flag-raising on Mount Suribachi that day.

The photographer always denied suggestions the picture had been staged.

Ten years after the event, he wrote that, on learning that a flag had already been raised, he had been about to desist from climbing to the summit.

But he pushed on.

"Out of the corner of my eye... I had seen the men start the flag up. I swung my camera, and shot the scene," he wrote in Collier's magazine.

He filed the picture for the Associated Press, which had sent him to cover battle areas in 1944.

"Millions of Americans saw this picture five or six days before I did, and when I first heard about it, I had no idea what picture was meant," he later said, recalling the impact the photograph caused.

The picture was used on posters, a war-bond drive and a US postage stamp.

'Gratified'

Born in Washington DC in 1911, Mr Rosenthal first took up photography as a hobby.

During the Depression, he moved to San Francisco, where in 1930 he found a newspaper job.

In 1932, he began working for the San Francisco News as reporter and photographer - a job that was to be followed by several posts at picture and news agencies.

After working for AP in WWII - during which he saw action close up - Mr Rosenthal joined the San Francisco Chronicle. He stayed there for 35 years.

He is reported to have made less than $10,000 (£5,300) from what is widely considered to be one of the most famous photographs of the war.

"And I was gratified to get that," the San Francisco Chronicle quotes him as saying in a 1995 interview.

"Every once in a while someone teases me that I could have been rich. But I'm alive. A lot of the men who were there are not. And a lot of them were badly wounded. I was not. And so I don't have the feeling someone owes me for this."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/5270434.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:59 am 

National Lampoon co-founder dies in Dallas

Robert Hoffman was known in Dallas as one of the leading businessmen and civic leaders in the city where he grew up.

But his national legacy may be the magazine National Lampoon*, which he co-founded (along with Doug Kenney and Rob Hoffmann) and served as founding managing editor.

Hoffman died Sunday at University of Texas Southwestern University Hospital of leukemia. He was 59. A memorial ceremony is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon at the chapel of St. Mark's School of Texas, the Dallas prep school Hoffman attended as a youth.

The Oklahoma City-born Harvard University student was one of three editors of The Harvard Lampoon. The university humor magazine was the inspiration behind the National Lampoon.

Hoffman and his partners sold the National Lampoon in 1975. He used his take to start an art collection and join his father in launching what became the Coca-Cola Bottling Group (Southwest). The company was the nation's Number Five bottler of Coca-Cola and Doctor Pepper when it merged with Coca-Cola Enterprises in 1998.

Hoffman remained one of The Harvard Lampoon's trustees for 37 years.

+++++++++++

* A wonderful "corrupting" influence for me in my formative years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:15 pm 

Maynard Ferguson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:29 pm 

World's oldest person, Maria Esther de Capovilla, dead at 116

QUITO, Ecuador (AP) — Maria Esther de Capovilla, considered the world's oldest person, has died in her native Ecuador, her granddaughter said Monday. At 116, she was born the same year as Charlie Chaplin and married the year the U.S. entered World War I.

An American woman, Elizabeth Bolden of Memphis, is now the oldest known person alive, according to Guinness World Records. She is also 116 — but 11 months younger than Capovilla.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:03 pm 

Pip Pyle (1950-2006)

http://calyx.club.fr/mus/pyle_pip.html

a helluva drummer. man, those canterburians are dropping like flies. First Elton Dean now him. Sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 3:45 pm 

:cry: :cry:
Ex-Napalm Death Guitarist Jesse Pintado Dies
posted Monday, August 28, 2006 at 03:54:09 PM by zMETALlica. (thanks Blabbermouth)

Guitarist Jesse Pintado (TERRORIZER, ex-NAPALM DEATH) died over the weekend in a hospital in Holland, Century Media Records has confirmed. A pioneer in our musical genre, Jesse and his influential sound will be sorely missed. Century Media Records will make a further announcement later in the week.

In a recent interview with Rockdetector.com, Pintado spoke about his final days in NAPALM DEATH.

"The departure was basically due to a variety of reasons," he said. "We shared a house together, we toured together, we were always together, but people move on. Along the way there was a little rough bumps, though I don't know. In my situation it got to the point where I needed a little fresh start. I'm still good friends with the guys; there's no animosity there, we're all cool, and they're happy with what I'm doing."

Asked if the media twisted the situation in some ways since it was reported that the band stated he had personal problems and alcohol issues," Pintado replied, "Yeah, of course. The other day I was browsing the Internet, and they stated I was dead! I thought 'Oh shit, I'm dead!' I really don't pay much attention to that."

Pintado's final release was the long-awaited TERRORIZER reunion CD, entitled "Darker Days Ahead", which came out last week via Century Media Records.

Get more band news and info on: Napalm Death, Terrorizer

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:12 am 

Got this Bulletin...

5 Metal Musicians DEAD In August!
Body: 1 - John Nodtveidt - Dissection
2 - Otto - Setherial/In Battle
3 - Kvarforth - Shining/Diabolicum
4 - Jesse Pintado - Napalm Death / Terrorizer

and the number 5:

IMPORTANT NEWS!!
After the departure from Hells Metal Festival in Germany the Bestial crew went to Sweden Rock Festival, where Bundy and Devilpig ended up in a fight. Due to Devilpigs high alcoholconsumation he ended up in a coma after the fight and 2 days later he was confirmed as dead and the doctors pulled the plug! His last wish was that "Chainsaw fucking down the church" would be played on bagpipe, this will not happen and...

Bestial Mockery have now went down into the grave!

There will still be several releases out in the coming year since much is recorded. But now you must fuck off!

/Bestial Mockery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:07 am 

Naguib Mahfouz

The Egyptian novelist, Naguib Mahfouz, wrote more than 30 novels, and in 1988 became the first Arab to win the Nobel prize for literature. He died in hospital on 30 August after injuring himself in a fall in July.

Naguib Mahfouz was arguably the greatest Arab novelist of the 20th Century.

He had something of the status of a national treasure in Egypt, where many of his characters became household names.

He was well known too throughout the Arab world, partly because so many of his works were turned into films or television dramas.

International acclaim

Internationally, Mahfouz was best known for winning the Nobel Prize, after which many of his novels were translated into English and other languages.

MAHFOUZ FACTS
1911: Born in Cairo
1934: Graduated in philosophy from Cairo University
1959: Al-Azhar, one of the most important Islamic institutions in the world, bans novel because it includes characters representing God and the prophets
1988: First and only Arab to win Nobel Prize for literature
1994: Mahfouz stabbed in the neck by Islamist militant angered by his work

He remains the only Arab to have won the prize, and although it brought him great acclaim he never moved out of his modest flat beside the Nile in Cairo, or stopped his regular trips to cafes for literary discussions.

"To tell you the truth, I've never lost touch with the new generation of young writers," Mahfouz said.

"So, for example, in my most recent favourite haunt - the Qasr al-Nil cafe - among the artists, writers and thinkers that used to come to talk to me there, there wasn't a single person who was my age or from my generation, even. They're young but they're all bright."

Most of Mahfouz's novels focused on the lives of ordinary Egyptians in Cairo - his realistic style reaching a peak with the publication in the late 1950s of an immense family saga.

Islamist anger

After that Mahfouz experimented with a more mystical style, sometimes arousing the anger of religious conservatives.

His novel known in English as Children of Gebelawi was banned in Egypt, and he was accused of blasphemy.

In 1994, Mahfouz was attacked outside his home by Muslim extremists said to have been incensed by his treatment of religious themes in the book.

He was stabbed in the neck but survived.

The Nobel foundation described Mahfouz as indefatigable, and, beside his literary achievements, that is how many Egyptians will remember him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5297592.stm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:50 pm 

GENE SIMMONS HAS DIED.

TUPELO, Miss. (AP) - Rockabilly singer and songwriter Jumpin' Gene Simmons, who worked with Elvis Presley and had a top 20 hit in 1964 with the bouncy "Haunted House," has died. He was 69.

He died Tuesday at North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo after a long illness, according to Holland-Harris Funeral Directors.

Simmons - not to be confused with the Kiss bassist with the same name - was in show business for more than 50 years, working with such names as Sam Phillips and the Bill Black Combo. More recently, he co-wrote "Indian Outlaw," which became a big hit in 1994 for country superstar Tim McGraw.

But his biggest success came in 1964 with the novelty song "Haunted House," which reached No. 11 on the Billboard pop chart and launched Simmons on a world tour.

Among other early gigs, he performed as an opening act for Presley in Tupelo, Presley's birthplace and Simmons' longtime hometown, as Presley's career was taking off, said his son, Cary Simmons.

After appearing in some Memphis clubs, Simmons signed with Sun Records, the legendary Memphis label formed by Phillips that launched the careers of Presley, Johnny Cash and other stars.

While he didn't have the chart success of other Sun performers, Simmons' recordings have become known to later generations through reissues. Brian Setzer did a version of Simmons'"Peroxide Blonde in a Hopped Up Model Ford" on his "Rockabilly Riot Vol. 1: A Tribute to Sun Records."

Simmons, born in Itawamba County in 1937, spent most of his life in Northeast Mississippi although he lived for a time in Memphis. Besides his son, survivors include his mother, a sister, and two brothers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:41 pm 

Actor Glenn Ford dies at 90
1916-2006

BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Actor Glenn Ford, who played strong, thoughtful protagonists in films such as "The Blackboard Jungle," "Gilda" and "The Big Heat," died Wednesday, police said. He was 90

Paramedics called to Ford's home just before 4 p.m. found Ford dead, police Sgt. Terry Nutall said, reading a prepared statement. "They do not suspect foul play," he said.

Ford suffered a series of strokes in the 1990s.

Failing health forced him to skip a 90th birthday tribute on May 1 at Hollywood's historic Grauman's Egyptian Theatre. But he did send greetings via videotape, adding, "I wish I were up and around, but I'm doing the best that I can.... There's so much I have to be grateful for."

At the event,Shirley Jones, who co-starred with him in the comedy "The Courtship of Eddie's Father," called Ford "one of the cornerstones of our industry, and there aren't many left."

Ford appeared in scores of films during his 53-year Hollywood career. The Film Encyclopedia, a reference book, lists 85 films from 1939 to 1991.

He was cast usually as the handsome tough, but his acting talents ranged from romance to comedy. His more famous credits include "Superman," "Gilda," "The Sheepman," "The Gazebo," "Pocketful of Miracles" and "Don't Go Near the Water."

I was just talking about him a few days ago :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:00 am 

A real shock about Jesse Pintado. Just as Terrorizer had their comeback record coming out.

We all still have World Downfall though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:08 am 

PappaWas1975 wrote:
A real shock about Jesse Pintado. Just as Terrorizer had their comeback record coming out.

We all still have World Downfall though.

yeah, I've just been told about Jesse Pintado. just after Terrorizer's comeback. very sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:59 am 

Glenn Ford what a great actor. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:08 pm 

ZardozII wrote:
Glenn Ford what a great actor. 8)
He certainly was

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 305  Next