Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Zappa Book
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:25 pm 

Anybody read the Barry Miles book. Hope i'm not stiiring up the poop. Some one gave it to me for the holidays.I've read TRFZB and it was great but this book seems to have alot of 3rd person info (at least what i've read so far). Some of the early stuff is cool but correctly if i'm wrong the estate really doesn't endorse this book.

Post subject: Re: Zappa Book
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:59 am 

Thanks Lumpy<br>  Like i said I hoped i wasn't stirring the poop.I was just excited to have a new insight into someone who provided me with the soundtrack to some great moments in my life. Like most things Zappa related it made me want to go exploring for more (a good thing...no?).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:24 pm 

[center]Alexandra Yurkovsky writes<br><br> <br><br><br>>HERE<[/center]<br><br>Miles's psychological analyses of Zappa's motives and imperfections, though basically accurate, neither fully explain nor diminish the importance of his subject's unique perspective. <br><br>
Quote:
He was, to use Christopher Hitchens's term, a "contrarian."
<br>heres a guy who told mother Teresa theres more to sex than just the missionary position  :-[<br>[sub]con·trar·i·an   <br>n. <br>One who takes a contrary view or action, especially an investor who makes decisions that contradict prevailing wisdom, as in buying securities that are unpopular at the time.[/sub]<br>

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:53 am 

Before I even heard of this book, I found a copy at a certain record fair and since it had a photo of Frank on the cover, I bought the crap out of it. After reading the obligated Real Zappa book, I found this book a welcome addition regarding general information about Frank. Good thing is that Miles doesn't state his own opinion too often, so that doesn't get in the way.<br><br>What I am still missing is more reading material focused on the music, the concerts and records instead of how he grew up[ and in what environment. I don't know if such a book excists, suggestions are welcome !

Post subject: re: zappa book
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:02 am 

[quote author=beagle link=board=rant;num=1105935940;start=0#5 date=01/26/05 at 05:53:00]...more reading material focused on the music, the concerts and records...[/quote]<br>zappology [not really a book, more like an essay] is a good start, very dense; a respectable attempt to propagate some conceceptual continuity across his albums<br><br>--> 22 page zappology.pdf file [limited time only]<br><br>this is a good one you, more music, less biography: <br><br>[center]Image[/center]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:44 am 

Thanks Slime,<br><br>Never seen the "Kitchen" book before but will try to get it from an online bookstore.<br><br>Have read most of the Zappology files before and... hmmm.... appriciate the effort but that is very limited and far from being complete......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:36 am 

I agree. It was complete, but you might say it was "over-complete"...too wordy and picky and full of conjecture. So I shortened it to its more fun-to-read form that you now see. It's just a site now, not making any pretensions toward being a "book." Hopefully the comparisons to Ben Watson will now stop.  :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:45 am 

Chris,<br><br>It's more than a good effort what you did. Website is fun to read, interesting information, but.... (there's always a but, right?).<br><br>What I'm looking for is more or less insight information duringg specific periods, focused stricktly on the music and not another interpertation of the lyrics. Something like Mike Keneally's 88 tour diary, that's full of information towards the music in general. Dunno if it even excists what I'm looking for... For now, trying to find a company that is willing to ship  the Dangerous Kitchen book  to Europe....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:30 am 
Banned

Zappaology = CRAPPOLOGY

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:18 am 

No, Jay, Crappology's my next book. It's all about shit. Are you still posing for the front cover?<br><br>I understand exactly what you mean, Beagle, and I can recommend Dangerous Kitchen as well as those parts of Poodle Play that don't involve Adorno or Marxism. He actually did put a lot of interesting stuff in that book. Too bad it has to be tweezed from within his political agenda. It's definitely worth reading, though; the guy has mammoth musical knowledge.<br><br>The place where you'll most likely find what you're looking for is any Zappa interview in which they're actually discussing music (as opposed to, say, his kids' names). Any Google search will render thousands of results. I can dig up some links if you'd like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:06 pm 
Banned

I just finished reverting several edits made to Wikipedia by a user who adds Miles' book as a source. Did Barry really claim that Let's Make The Water Turn Black was about Captain Beefheart's mother?!? What a 'tard! :x

Isaac

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:25 pm 

My favorite part of Miles' book is when he insinuates that Frank is a cold, uncaring, despicable man when he leaves his pregnant wife to go on tour.

I wonder, though-if Frank had cancelled the tour to stay with his wife, what would Miles' have said? Probably that Zappa was a selfish man who cared only about his personal matters and not of the people who worked with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:14 pm 

http://s115622334.onlinehome.us/cd/bl/zappabook/trfzb30.htm#10

The Real Frank Zappa book online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:21 pm 

I quized GZ one time in chat about Barry Miles and the book. She basically said he was not only mean spirited, but also just plain inept. She said she'd sue him, except that it would only go on forever and probably give him more publicity.

I think it's safe to say the book is not at the top of the Zappa family's xmas list.

Personally, I found the book interesting in a few parts. However, it was plain that Miles had an agenda, and he jumped at every chance to portray Frank as as selfish maniac who just used everyone around him to his own evil ends. So, in the end, to me, everything in the book is suspect. I don't recommend it.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:24 pm 

wheatgurm wrote:
...The Real Frank Zappa...

...copyright © 1989 by frank zappa
all rights reserved
including the right of reproduction
in whole or in part in any form...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:28 pm 

Publication Date 27th June 2019

Despite his death in 1993, Zappa's estate has continued to release several albums per year of archive material. Zappa has inspired musicians from many genres - including electronic music pioneer Brian Eno, composer Bob Gluck and musical satirist 'Wierd Al' Yankovic .The first book to look at this period of Zappa's work in detail. Frank Zappa is, one of the few rock and roll musicians who can truly be labelled a genius.

With a career that spanned four decades before his untimely death in 1993, Zappa broke all the rules of composition and production and did things his way. In this in-depth album guide, the most crucial part of Zappa's discography will be examined in-depth to provide readers with the ultimate guide his work. Each album will be discussed in detail, including the historical context behind the record, an examination of each song on the album, and full details of the musicians who played on it.

The book will begin with Zappa's 60s albums with The Mothers of Invention, before delving into his prolific 70s solo career. Throughout this period, his albums remained complex musically while the subject matter was often satirical and controversial. Fans of Zappa's 60s and 70s work will appreciate the level of detail, research, and depth provided in each review, making this the most comprehensive guide to this enigmatic musician's music yet written.

Paperback, 128 pages, Over 16 pages of 25 colour photographs.

https://www.wymeruk.co.uk/webshop/books ... ric-benac/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:33 pm 

Publication Date 15th October 2019.

Hot Rats, the second solo album by Frank Zappa, is considered by his fans and critics alike to be a groundbreaking, important record, as well as one of his most innovative efforts of all time. The first recording project after the dissolution of the original Mothers of Invention, Zappa composed, arranged, and produced all of the music on Hot Rats while playing electric guitar on all tracks. The album contains the song "Peaches en Regalia," widely recognized as a modern jazz-fusion standard. This entire groundbreaking and historical record--including using new sixteen-multitrack recording and overdub technics for the first time ever--was captured in photos by Bill Gubbins, who shot the recording sessions and live performances of the record immediately following its release. Most of these images have never before been published in book form, appearing here for the first time. The "Hot Rats" Book: A Fifty-Year Retrospective of Frank Zappa's "Hot Rats" also contains essays by author Bill Gubbins; Ian Underwood, who was involved in working with Zappa on the recording sessions; Steve Vai; David Fricke; and Matt Groening.

https://www.wymeruk.co.uk/webshop/books ... l-gubbins/