Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Think Tank
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:19 am 

I always thought it would be a great idea if a group of guitarists did a Frank Zappa Shut Up N' Play Yer Guitar  type CD.<br><br>One concept would be to use FZ Band Guitar Solo Masters and subsstitute new guitar parts for Franks performances. <br><br>Additionally a doubling technicque could also be used such as Steve Vai's guitar doubling on The Theme From The 3rd Movement From Sinister Footwear that appears on You Are What You Is.<br><br> The conccept could be extended into using different drum tracks.<br><br>If there would be a problem using the exact Masters that Ryko is licensing I am sure that there are plenty of guitar solos in the vault that use similar vamps where Dweezil could be in control of the production.<br><br>Franks concept of guitar playing was quite unique and such a project would give a group of guitarists to perform in this realm.<br><br>The current state of Rock Guitar is pitiful.<br><br>While there most certailnly are talented guitarists (some of which as in the case of G3 or Favored Nations Records) that even manage to headline tours there is little to no vehicle for making guitar playing a true tool for artistic development. <br><br>Dweezil had a great concept of getting guitarists to perform if ways that were outside ther normal technique for his pending What The Hell Was I Thinking project. <br><br>A Shut Up N Play Yer Guitar based album would help get guitarists into an experimentation mode that has pretty much been shelved since Frank put down that particular compositional tool of his for the last time.<br><br>Of coarse this concept could also be a tour.<br>G3 on a new level.  <br><br>I remember hearing back in the late 70s before the Shut Up series had ben released that Frank had considered making an all  guitar album entitled 'Think Tank"<br><br>I am sure there is a perfect name for such a project but i am currently lost for the perfect Title.  <br><br>

Post subject: Re: Think Tank
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:42 am 

think tank is also a henry rollins spoken word album.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:50 am 

[quote author=safeasmilk link=board=wishList;num=1070889593;start=0#1 date=12/08/03 at 13:42:11]think tank is also a henry rollins spoken word album.[/quote]<br>Its also the name of the latest blur cd...ewww. Blur! Yuck!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 3:23 am 

[quote author=LatexSolarBeef link=board=wishList;num=1070889593;start=0#2 date=12/09/03 at 05:50:19]<br>Its also the name of the latest blur cd...ewww. Blur! Yuck![/quote]<br>Blur ain't bad.  i don't have their latest (although i heard it's good), but i do have their s/t (not their first, though).  it's got this droning experimental vibe that i like.<br>

"a student is not a tangerine"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:50 pm 

i bought the blur think tank album for $3 when my local music store went out of business. worth almost every penny.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:57 am 

How about a Zappa Karioke CD....does one exist???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:36 am 

A few years ago when I used to do the Karioke thang  ::) I frequented a place that had Dinah-moe Humm as one of the tunes! No one ever sang it, I was'nt about to. I went one night, and the song was blacked out of the songbook. hmmmm... I had called 818pumpkin and the person on the other end was very interested in where they got the song and all....could only get a catalog of tunes available, and Dinah was'nt one of them, so I was'nt ever able to report back to pumpkin....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 12:51 pm 

This is hilarious. A record for the shortest time it takes for a thread to spin off-topic : one post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:09 pm 

I have a friend who knows a karaoke DJ who burned a cd for me. It has Dinah-Moe-Humm and Dirty Love on it. I've sung both songs in public at several different bars so I know it is not THAT uncommon.<br><br>It is so funny to watch the audience; they cannot take their eyes off the monitor because they are in utter disbelief about what they are hearing and seeing. This allows me to quiver and quake and clutch at myself, while my friends make jokes about MY mental health!<br><br> :o<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:21 am 

Me and my friends have a pretty shaky relationship with our local kareoke establishment. Apparently their not too pleased with altering the lyrics to songs so much.   We would go up and improvise lyrics around whatever was happening.   On the Road again turned to On the Blow again was a really crowd pleaser, everyone got off on that one.   New York New York didn't go over so well though.   The bar got pretty silent while we wailed away.... "Start drinkin tha booze.... dada dadida dada da di da, Al Qaeda's cumin today.....