Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:47 pm 

Hey there !<br><br>I am (young) zappa fan that came to know the man by first listening to his guitar solos. Of course, my favorites are Watermelon & Black Page.<br><br>I downloaded by accident a couple of "bootlegged" versions of those two songs. Each version is simply amazing and even though you can easily recognize the main melody, there is always something different.<br><br>Now, i was wondering if anybody had experienced that and if they would be nice enough to share their versions ????<br><br>I don't know if this is legal/accepted here and please accept my apologies in advance, but i just want some more versions.<br><br>N.B I'm especially looking for the A&E biography Black Page version (but the whole soundtrack would be more than welcome).<br><br>Many thanks  ;D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:59 am 

By "Black Page", you mean "Black Napkins"; "The Black Page" is an extremely complex piece of music that features irregular rhythmic groupings and harmonies (which I don't think Zappa ever played a solo over), where "Black Napkins" is one of Frank's finest guitar vehicles.<br><br>To answer the question at hand, one of my favs is the version of "Pygmy Twylyte" from You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 2, where Frank plays a very moving solo over a dramatic vamp.<br><br>Oh, and the version of "Black Napkins" from the A&E bio is taken from Baby Snakes, so get out and buy the DVD!  ;D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:09 pm 

OMG, i meant Black Napkins of course !!!<br><br>Thanks for your advice, but my question was more related of bootlegged versions of those songs (because i think this is where his solos are the best ie.: Montana solo in the Stockholm video is kinda HOT).<br><br> :o