Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Drummer Thread...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:28 am 

ANyone seen that Steve Smith dvd ... cant recall the name.. .something about techniques for kit.<br><br>There is a solo called "Thank you Mr. Williams" on that dvd that is fuckin' sweet.  He keeps a really nice jazz pulse moving while whippin' out all these sick licks around the kit.  I watched it about 50 times in a week.  He has some seriously nice hands... light and fast.  <br><br>I always liked Dave Weckl.  Another mutant player with skillz out the ass.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:27 pm 

Tere are a shit load of drummers that have those kind of skills but they don't have record contracts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:57 pm 

Flam -- That pretty much sums up the whole music scene when it comes to avant garde and current prog/fusion.  Homemade labels or super tiny mailorder markets... it's a bummer that the mass loves total ass.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:51 am 

[quote author=FLAM link=board=legends;num=1140821178;start=15#27 date=03/06/06 at 21:27:26]Tere are a shit load of drummers that have those kind of skills but they don't have record contracts.[/quote]<br>Yea agreed, you will NEVER hear the best drummer or guitar player in the world. He or she is in their garage tearing it up, and will never be heard by anyone other than family and friends.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:57 am 

does anybody remember the great drumming of such people as:<br>tony williams<br>chick webb<br>max roach<br>buddy rich<br>elvin jones<br><br>or how about virgil donati<br>these people aren't being noticed enough

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:26 pm 

[quote author=wheatgurm link=board=legends;num=1140821178;start=15#29 date=03/07/06 at 13:51:07]<br>Yea agreed, you will NEVER hear the best drummer or guitar player in the world. He or she is in their garage tearing it up, and will never be heard by anyone other than family and friends.[/quote]<br><br> I appreciate the sentiment but in reality the best guitar players in the world put out recordings and play live, allan holdsworth, john mclaughlin to name a couple.<br><br> Why be negative when you can go out on any given night and see ferociously talented people play. It's not as bad as we like to make it out to be.<br><br>  You know who i think can play some drums is trilok gurtu, dennis chambers, smitty smith, billy cobham, terri lynn carrington there are so many good drummers out there. don't be sad. :'(<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:08 pm 

Do you know that Trilok plays while sitting on the floor?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:43 pm 

[quote author=wheatgurm link=board=legends;num=1140821178;start=15#29 date=03/07/06 at 13:51:07]<br>Yea agreed, you will NEVER hear the best drummer or guitar player in the world. He or she is in their garage tearing it up, and will never be heard by anyone other than family and friends.[/quote]<br><br>But imagine someone being able to sight read and play sick licks like Vinnie or Steve Smith.  That's pretty amazing shit in a garage.   ;)<br>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:43 pm 

[quote author=Phlakaton link=board=legends;num=1140821178;start=30#33 date=03/07/06 at 22:43:08]<br><br>But imagine someone being able to sight read and play sick licks like Vinnie or Steve Smith.  That's pretty amazing shit in a garage.   ;)<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>No try On tour.  the thing is most people don't even know about it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:52 am 

Image<br>Image<br><br>Ahhhh, amazing, just been listening to him and he gets more fucking amazing every time I hear him play. ;D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:57 am 

There's this infamous bootleg tape of Buddy Rich, recorded on the tour bus while he's chewing out some of the players in his orchestra for playing 'clams' and not shaving every day. That stuff is priceless as well. The guy sure had a temper.. ;D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:59 pm 

They sound fecking great.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:50 pm 

What they leave out is he will also literally give you the shirt off his back!<br><br>I met Buddy Rich when I was in the Drum Corps and we opened for him at the Concord Pavilion.  He came backstage and greeted all of us and shook everyones hands and told us how much he appreciated that we worked our ass off  to play his music more precise than his band played it.<br><br>He was like the Muhamed Ali of drums.<br><br>I was very sad when he died!<br><br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:55 pm 

[quote author=FLAM link=board=legends;num=1140821178;start=30#40 date=03/11/06 at 18:50:17]What they leave out is he will also literally give you the shirt off his back!<br><br>I met Buddy Rich when I was in the Drum Corps and we opened for him at the Concord Pavilion.  He came backstage and greeted all of us and shook everyones hands and told us how much he appreciated that we worked our ass off  to play his music more precise than his band played it.<br><br>He was like the Muhamed Ali of drums.<br><br>I was very sad when he died!<br><br><br><br><br><br>[/quote]<br><br><br>That's great Flam, but don't be a band member who's messing up! Have you heard the secret recording?<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:25 pm 

I read an interview by another band member who was getting chewed out and then buddy asked him if he wanted the shirt he just took off.<br><br>We got sticks thrown at us when we fucked up so or we would have to play a durm roll for 20 minutes or march around the track for a mile with our drums on so, I don't feel sorry for them.<br><br>You should see my knuckles.  I have a scar from a stick for playing a dirty roll in a regional show.<br><br>That is why we were the world champs!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:31 pm 

[quote author=FLAM link=board=legends;num=1140821178;start=30#42 date=03/11/06 at 19:25:09]I read an interview by another band member who was getting chewed out and then buddy asked him if he wanted the shirt he just took off.<br><br>We got sticks thrown at us when we fucked up so or we would have to play a durm roll for 20 minutes or march around the track for a mile with our drums on so, I don't feel sorry for them.<br><br>You should see my knuckles.  I have a scar from a stick for playing a dirty roll in a regional show.<br><br>That is why we were the world champs![/quote]<br><br><br>I've got about a 10 - 15 minute recording (Thanks Mr. Arkay) where he is just chewing the shit out of his band. I think he got his message across.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 6:58 pm 

I have read transcipts of it.<br><br>yea so?  i have seen kids get kicked over with their drums still strapped on.<br>If you really fuck up the whole drumline will kick your ass in the middle of the night under your sleeping bag.<br>If you want to be the best you have to take some shit.  If not,... pack your bags coz there are plenty of people who are willing to take it from the boss.<br><br>People always talk bad about Buddy but the real pro's don't.. they wear it like a badge of courage!<br><br>Shit!   I wish I had the balls to be in Buddy's band!  Because if you make it you are a bad mother fucker!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:23 pm 

I wasn't saying anything bad about Buddy Rich, it's hilarious to listen to.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:42 am 

[quote author=aspy_2nd_bunch link=board=legends;num=1140821178;start=30#36 date=03/11/06 at 11:52:15]Image<br>
Quote:
Ahhhh, amazing, just been listening to him and he gets more fucking amazing every time I hear him play.  
<br>[/quote]<br>He looks very like Kenny Clare in that photo<br><br>Kenny Clare<br>Image<br><br>His family were close with mine, sadly he and his twin daughters died. I haven't seen his wife, who I knew as Auntie Marjorie, for a few years.<br> :(<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:05 am 

I'm a Drummer Get Me Outta Here!

https://heydroll.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/a2Z2Doe_460sv.mp4

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:43 am 

^^
Stunning!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:27 pm 

I'm digging those crazy beats! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:02 am 

Huck_Phlem wrote:
I read an interview by another band member who was getting chewed out and then buddy asked him if he wanted the shirt he just took off.<br><br>We got sticks thrown at us when we fucked up so or we would have to play a durm roll for 20 minutes or march around the track for a mile with our drums on so, I don't feel sorry for them.<br><br>You should see my knuckles.  I have a scar from a stick for playing a dirty roll in a regional show.<br><br>That is why we were the world champs!

I find competition kind of anti-music, I mean it's not football or basketball. I found this a refreshing take within a review of the movie Whiplash at the 14:50 mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFYBVGdB7MU