Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:38 am 

I read in an interview somewhere that Frank didn't like opera.<br><br>That struck me as really weird! He's a really theatrical performer, and he was a classical composer-I can't see how he didn't like opera.<br><br>I mean, he did use the theme from 'A Soldiers Tale' on one of his albums. Perhaps he simply speaks of the people going to opera with hopes that it will 'distinguish' them?<br><br>And, I must confess, I'm also curious if anyone 'round these parts likes opera. (Not rock opera. I know Joe's Garage would top all of our lists ;D)<br><br>If you do, what are your favorites? All I've heard are-<br>The Soldiers Tale<br>The Rake's Progress<br>Bluebeard's Castle<br><br>(No...this most certainly is not for a stupid school project....)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:08 pm 

[quote author=FeralCats link=board=legends;num=1128451106;start=0#0 date=10/04/05 at 13:38:26]I read in an interview somewhere that Frank didn't like opera.<br><br>That struck me as really weird! He's a really theatrical performer, and he was a classical composer-I can't see how he didn't like opera.<br><br>I mean, he did use the theme from 'A Soldiers Tale' on one of his albums. Perhaps he simply speaks of the people going to opera with hopes that it will 'distinguish' them?<br><br>And, I must confess, I'm also curious if anyone 'round these parts likes opera. (Not rock opera. I know Joe's Garage would top all of our lists ;D)<br><br>If you do, what are your favorites? All I've heard are-<br>The Soldiers Tale<br>The Rake's Progress<br>Bluebeard's Castle<br><br>(No...this most certainly is not for a stupid school project....)[/quote]<br><br>I have over a dozen CD's of Bluebeard's Castle<br>and my favorite is the one with Walter Berry and Christa Ludwig. <br><br>Plus I have a bootleg tape of Samuel Ramey and Jessye Norman singing it in English that's excellent.<br><br>And I've got a live mono CD from Paris in 1950 that is amazing. That one's in French instead of Hungarian.<br><br>I have a few versions of The Soldier's Tale and my favorite features Christopher Lee in all the roles.<br><br>By the way, The Soldier's Tale is not an opera.<br><br>I also like Tristan Und Isolde starring Birgit Nilsson and Wolfgang Windgassen.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:28 pm 

Quote:
He really was a theatrical performer but no legitimate opera would touch him with a thousand foot pole! He'd have been more than glad to do it but all those blue-haired ladies would have dropped dead on contact with him! For Frank to be invited to write an opera and be invited to do it would be like a Southern Baptist Convention inviting an atheist to preach on, "Why There Is No God"! LOL!
<br><br>See, thats what I thought-the music is great, but it's the fucking ridiculous attitude that turns him off and turned them off from him-as a matter of fact, it's why more people don't listen to opera!<br><br>
Quote:
By the way, The Soldier's Tale is not an opera.
<br><br>I assume this is either because <br>1. There is no story told while music is playing/no singing.<br>2.It's not 'dramatic' enough.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:02 pm 

Quote:
<br><br>I assume this is because there is no story told while music is playing/no singing.<br>
<br><br>You're right. An opera is essentially a play in which the dialogue is sung.<br>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:52 pm 

Solipsism Facebook
Juno Records Vinyl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:22 am 

I like the overtures from Wagner.  I don't care for the vocalizing that much.  Ride of the Valkyries is a hoot.<br><br>Oh and I like Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen and all the light opera they do, but I think thats because I read them as parodies.<br><br>I think Frank did write opera.  Hunchentoot, for example.  He just didn't have a market for it.  The people into opera only want to hear something thats old.  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:19 am 

[quote author=FeralCats link=board=legends;num=1128451106;start=0#0 date=10/04/05 at 13:38:26]I read in an interview somewhere that Frank didn't like opera.<br><br>That struck me as really weird! He's a really theatrical performer, and he was a classical composer-I can't see how he didn't like opera.<br><br>I mean, he did use the theme from 'A Soldiers Tale' on one of his albums. Perhaps he simply speaks of the people going to opera with hopes that it will 'distinguish' them?<br><br>And, I must confess, I'm also curious if anyone 'round these parts likes opera. (Not rock opera. I know Joe's Garage would top all of our lists ;D)<br><br>If you do, what are your favorites? All I've heard are-<br>The Soldiers Tale<br>The Rake's Progress<br>Bluebeard's Castle<br><br>(No...this most certainly is not for a stupid school project....)[/quote]<br> I hate opera myself. Its not in the same genere as classical at all.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:25 am 

i really like <br>georges bizet<br>his opera carmen is amasing, <br>there's this movie from spanish film maker carlos saura about it,<br>with the late bailaor (flamenco dancer) antonio gades with a real<br>nice contemporary mounting conception,<br>also like wagner but as it was<br>hitlers favorite musician it took me some real listening to really apreciate it,<br>anyway i found it really boring the way all this opera little number<br>is mounted and all the superflous people around it,<br>with todays technology opera could be an amasing entertaining show,<br>not those boring singers standing like stupids dressed in ridiculous outfits<br>with the social elite waiting for it to finish so they can go drink some champagne, most of those persons if not none of them really like opera,<br>even if they say it was beautiful (with what aesthetically that comment<br>mean) they don't even like music at all, just snob social events, lots of money expended in banal and shoddy production though, oh and the ridiculous goddess attitude of most performers who are pretty ugly also.  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:06 am 

Mozart's Don Giovanni<br>Peter Maxwell Davies - Resurrection<br><br>Otherwise, I'm not such an opera-fan.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 9:27 am 

I think Luciano Pavarotti is the greatest male opera singer.   His voice became more deep and full with age.  I think Renata Tebaldi is the greatest female opera singer.  My favorite opera song is Nessun Dorma sung by Pavarotti.  I also recommend O Mio Babbino Caro sung by Tebaldi.

They never won't

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:48 am 

[quote author=amnesia link=board=legends;num=1128451106;start=0#9 date=10/05/05 at 09:25:47]i really like <br>georges bizet<br>with todays technology opera could be an amasing entertaining show,<br>not those boring singers standing like stupids dressed in ridiculous outfits<br>with the social elite waiting for it to finish so they can go drink some champagne, most of those persons if not none of them really like opera,<br>even if they say it was beautiful (with what aesthetically that comment<br>mean) they don't even like music at all, just snob social events, lots of money expended in banal and shoddy production though, oh and the ridiculous goddess attitude of most performers who are pretty ugly also.  [/quote]<br><br>Couldn't have said it better, myself.  Same goes for most symphonic music.   Just something to bolster your social status.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:22 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=legends;num=1128451106;start=15#16 date=10/06/05 at 10:10:11]<br><br>Bush really threw you back 100 years in time, didn't he?[/quote]<br>What's it got to do with Bush? I don't really see the connection.<br><br>And if Bush did throw us back 100 years, wouldn't we be bigger fans of the opera than we are now?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:01 am 

[quote author=Sebastiaan link=board=legends;num=1128451106;start=15#18 date=10/06/05 at 10:55:24]I was referring to the remarks as opera and symphonic concerts are happenings for rich snobs to 'bolster their social status'... [/quote]<br>I still don't see what that has to do with Bush. And I'm not defending Bush, I just fail to follow your logic.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:10 pm 

[quote author=mokmoof link=board=legends;num=1128451106;start=15#15 date=10/06/05 at 09:39:40]<br><br>Well, some people do genuinely like the music.  The fact that a faction of ignorant rich people abuses art for social reasons doesn't change the value of the art.  Yes, there are snobs in box seats pretending to give a shit, but there are also poor students in the back eating up every second.<br><br>Edited because I cannot spell to save my life.[/quote]<br><br>I'm am sure there are.  And to a certain extent thats me as well.  All I am saying, is these are the people with the big bucks who support the arts.  and they make it more difficult for new, good things to be seen and heard.<br>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:12 am 

I was just reading that Frank played the Narrarator in a performance of 'La Histoire Du Soldat'. Does anyone know if a recording of this was ever made?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:17 pm 

:arrow: