Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:09 am 

In last week's municipal elections in Oulu, Finland, a racist xenophobe coalition of two people reached an unexpected victory on an anti-refugee, anti-immigrant ticket, completely outside of established political parties. To celebrate this, they made a Youtube video titled "A Short History of the Hate-Mongering Couple" (yes, they're proud to hate refugees and immigrants) -- and chose the Mothers' "Trouble Every Day" as their soundtrack: https://youtu.be/9hPnrfo-pl0

In the comments section, they're asked if they have permission to use the song, and they reply they don't need one, since the song is 'monetized' by the copyright holders, i.e. it's free to use by anybody just as long as the pennies (or rather, fractions of pennies) generated by the Youtube commercials go to the owners.

Now, I happen to know any owners can still deny the use of their songs, if they object to the context or they way the songs are used - but of course they would need to be active and make a claim to Youtube.

As far as I know, ZFT has licensed the Zappa catalog to the Universal Music Group (do correct me if I'm wrong), but it looks like the Finnish branch of UMG was unable to do anything about the video, since ZFT has given the UMG head office the right to monetize the songs i.e. allow any youtuber out there to use them in any way they feel like.

I would have tried to contact ZFT directly but it looks like zappa.com doesn't provide any contact info, so I thought making a thread here might help spread the word.

What do you guys think - would ZFT feel comfortable about the song being used in this way?

In case anyone feels like sampling the worldview of those self-professed hate-mongers (only one of them uses any english though):
https://twitter.com/SwanOfTuonela
https://twitter.com/JunesLokka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:14 am 

Try to PM Mikey. memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4558

He might be able to bring it to the attention of the ZFT.

Electing an anti-immigrant/anti-refugee person? Where have I heard that before?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:35 am 

#herewegoagain

well hell, i will get to this when i get to it...

mngmnt2
#herewegoagainagain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:35 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
You have racists in Finland? All Finnish people I know are cool, thankfully...