Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Zappa's Classical Work
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:12 pm
Posts: 73
Does it ever get performed post-2000?

:|


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 6624
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Yes, several times. Someone will no doubt fill in the details, but if you check the history of the news on zappa.com you'll find at least an interesting one from last year. The 200 Motels suites album is also an excellent example of a not too distant past FZ classical extravaganza. Some of Ensemble Modern are touring later this year performing Yellow Shark and Greggery Peccary and Other Persuasions

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 16372
Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Try this:

Ascolta plays Zappa - Reagan at Bitburg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE7iTTDZeF4

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:12 pm
Posts: 73
polydigm wrote:
Yes, several times. Someone will no doubt fill in the details, but if you check the history of the news on zappa.com you'll find at least an interesting one from last year. The 200 Motels suites album is also an excellent example of a not too distant past FZ classical extravaganza. Some of Ensemble Modern are touring later this year performing Yellow Shark and Greggery Peccary and Other Persuasions


I am aware of Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting 200 Motel Suites with the Los Angles Philharmonic several years ago but I haven't heard much else aside from that.

Also, I don't think I'd count orchestras or ensembles playing arrangements of pieces like Peaches En Regalia in the same category.

It'd be cool if some orchestra would put Mo's and Herb's Vacation or Pedro's Dowry in their programs :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:12 pm
Posts: 73
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Try this:

Ascolta plays Zappa - Reagan at Bitburg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LE7iTTDZeF4


Now THAT is cool :mrgreen:
I haven't seen this particular video yet :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 6624
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Thatfabulousalien wrote:
Also, I don't think I'd count orchestras or ensembles playing arrangements of pieces like Peaches En Regalia in the same category.
Yellow Shark is one of FZ's classical albums. The original Yellow Shark concerts are pretty much what put FZ firmly on the international classical stage. The track list of Greggery Peccary and Other Persuasions is

1 Moggio
2 What Will Rumi Do?
3 Night School
4 Revised Music For A Low Budget Orchestra
5 The Beltway Bandits
6 A Pig With Wings
7 Put A Motor In Yourself
8 Peaches en Regalia
9 Naval Aviation In Art?
10 The Adventures Of Gregory Peccary

Not counting Peaches en Regalia, that album is pretty much heavy duty FZ classical work and even Peaches en Regalia itself is hardly a light weight composition.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:12 pm
Posts: 73
polydigm wrote:
Thatfabulousalien wrote:
Also, I don't think I'd count orchestras or ensembles playing arrangements of pieces like Peaches En Regalia in the same category.
Yellow Shark is one of FZ's classical albums. The original Yellow Shark concerts are pretty much what put FZ firmly on the international classical stage. The track list of Greggery Peccary and Other Persuasions is

1 Moggio
2 What Will Rumi Do?
3 Night School
4 Revised Music For A Low Budget Orchestra
5 The Beltway Bandits
6 A Pig With Wings
7 Put A Motor In Yourself
8 Peaches en Regalia
9 Naval Aviation In Art?
10 The Adventures Of Gregory Peccary

Not counting Peaches en Regalia, that album is pretty much heavy duty FZ classical work and even Peaches en Regalia itself is hardly a light weight composition.


Yes, I've got that album on CD already. Thanks for reminding me though :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 6624
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
The seriously cool thing about the Ensemble Modern concerts this year, is that I will actually be getting to see the one in Melbourne. The stuff that ordinarily passes me by because I'm stuck down there is depressing, but this should make up some of the deficit.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 22592
Location: >>==> Wellington New Zealand
polydigm wrote:
The seriously cool thing about the Ensemble Modern concerts this year, is that I will actually be getting to see the one in Melbourne. The stuff that ordinarily passes me by because I'm stuck down there is depressing, but this should make up some of the deficit.


"reaching for the passport" When are they performing in Australia Poly'?

_________________
hey punk, where you going with that dossier of UN sanctions in your hand?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:17 am
Posts: 498
Location: England
Yes, keep an eye on http://www.zappa.com/performances for upcoming ZFT sanctioned performances.

As Poly says, Ensemble Modern are also playing selections from ‘The Yellow Shark’ and ‘Greggery Peccary & Other Persuasions' - in Berlin and Australia in the next few months.

And there's also Musics by Frank Zappa: Orchestra En Regalia (http://www.cami.com/?webid=2498), which kicked-off in Prague last June and featured a 'rock band' comprising Jamie Kime, Scott Thunes, Ian Underwood and Joe Travers.

You could do a lot worse than checking this periodically (which includes the EM OZ dates): http://idiotbastard.com/BastardDiary.htm

_________________
FRANK TALK: THE INSIDE STORIES OF ZAPPA’S OTHER PEOPLE - new book, available now!
www.idiotbastard.com


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:57 pm
Posts: 1043
Gotta a copy of Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting 200 Motel Suites recently in Oz, hard to get here and love it.

Cheers
Eddie


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:12 pm
Posts: 73
The Idiot Bastard wrote:
Yes, keep an eye on http://www.zappa.com/performances for upcoming ZFT sanctioned performances.

As Poly says, Ensemble Modern are also playing selections from ‘The Yellow Shark’ and ‘Greggery Peccary & Other Persuasions' - in Berlin and Australia in the next few months.

And there's also Musics by Frank Zappa: Orchestra En Regalia (http://www.cami.com/?webid=2498), which kicked-off in Prague last June and featured a 'rock band' comprising Jamie Kime, Scott Thunes, Ian Underwood and Joe Travers.

You could do a lot worse than checking this periodically (which includes the EM OZ dates): http://idiotbastard.com/BastardDiary.htm



I'm excited already!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 12:41 pm
Posts: 16372
Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
The Idiot Bastard wrote:
And there's also Musics by Frank Zappa: Orchestra En Regalia (http://www.cami.com/?webid=2498), which kicked-off in Prague last June and featured a 'rock band' comprising Jamie Kime, Scott Thunes, Ian Underwood and Joe Travers.

How come I didn't hear about this, before. Has it been discussed here?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 08, 2006 6:17 am
Posts: 498
Location: England
Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
The Idiot Bastard wrote:
And there's also Musics by Frank Zappa: Orchestra En Regalia (http://www.cami.com/?webid=2498), which kicked-off in Prague last June and featured a 'rock band' comprising Jamie Kime, Scott Thunes, Ian Underwood and Joe Travers.

How come I didn't hear about this, before. Has it been discussed here?


There was a thread under 'Concerts', that didn't really take off. The Zappa store is now selling merch from the event.

_________________
FRANK TALK: THE INSIDE STORIES OF ZAPPA’S OTHER PEOPLE - new book, available now!
www.idiotbastard.com


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group