Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:45 pm 

A rope leash wrote:
I wrote something yesterday that polydigm thought was the stupidest thing ever. It takes all kinds, and that's what you get when you let nature take it's course. Australians don't get me and they are rude about it. I find it hilarious. Other rude people, not so much.

I thought most people here were talking about a free exchange of views without censorship. Mr Barker/Rope, you obviously haven't thought this through. You come across like you're well behaved and it's just everyone else that's rude. You implied something negative about the people on the opposite side of a vote - the side I was on. Why wouldn't I find that offensive? You being concerned about people being rude is hilarious when you consider how you often carry on.

The point that's being discussed here I think is the difference between freedom of speech and the freedom to be an asshole. Jaypfunk has at times posted some of the most perverse pictures imaginable in response to people taking offence at his views. You have to ask yourself what kind of person takes pleasure in that stuff. I'm not sure what going out of your way to upset people has to do with freedom of speech. You can split hairs about what the word asshole really means, but that's just evading the issue.

And getting upset about the discussion of politics? People keep saying things like "FZ wouldn't like this, FZ wouldn't like that". What percentage of his lyric output and interview discussion was about politics? A pretty large one would be a reasonable guess. I don't think the issue is politics as such. For example, is the Brexit thing a current issue that matters or makes any difference? Of course it is, everywhere I go at the moment, people are talking about it. But on this forum, when political discussion degenerates into torrents of abuse, that's just juvenile. If I'm sure of anything, I'm sure that FZ would not have participated in that, I'm pretty sure he would have expressed his opinion and then moved on.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:03 pm 

...are we goin' on cassette, or are we stayin' on LP?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:26 pm 

baddy wrote:
...are we goin' on cassette, or are we stayin' on LP?

Reel to reel. A loop.

Poly, I don't mind a discussion about "politics". I think daily advertisements for the Republican Party and the Democratic Party are a different story. It's not a discussion. It's a commercial.

And all of those cheap editorial cartoons plastered all over the forum are like someone shitting in the swimming pool. Or, more to the point, someone throwing someone else's turds into the pool. It's not even his own excrement.

The only reason I used the expression "would Zappa..." is because that was how Mikey approached it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:50 pm 

Mikey

I have been on this forum for years and I just stop reading certain threads if they piss me off. I hope your moderation is very limited.

I never ignore people, and this is the only forum I read.

I admire several forum members (poly comes to mind) who express themselves in a sophisticated manner, I miss Kapt Kirk and I hope that some folks return who have gone missing.

Finally, I never read the threads which look political anymore.

I hope the forum continues...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:48 pm 

brainpang wrote:
It is fairly hilarious, in a pathetic way, that even this Mikey thread has been destroyed by the typical carping.

I say flush this feces parade down the shithole and all of you with it!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:08 pm 

vivalapsych wrote:
brainpang wrote:
It is fairly hilarious, in a pathetic way, that even this Mikey thread has been destroyed by the typical carping.

ouch! thats below the beltway

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:14 am 

vivalapsych wrote:
brainpang wrote:

You're allowed 4 pot plants for personal consumption now in DC. You should take advantage of that law. It might relieve some of that angst.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:26 pm 

I think it's great that this forum will be starting over fresh. Sorry to tell you this, but overall this forum is largely a big dumpsite for the bad mental health of a few who seem to live their entire lives in here.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:49 pm 

Cosmic Rotoplooker wrote:
I think it's great that this forum will be starting over fresh. Sorry to tell you this, but overall this forum is largely a big dumpsite for the bad mental health of a few who seem to live their entire lives in here.

I'm sure they'll all go away once there's a new forum. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:55 pm 

I'm worried about the implications if the moderation goes through - this place has bad history regarding that point. For instance, some of the discussion regarding the family feud may not be appreciated by whoever is owning this forum now (I assume that would be ZFT as run by Ahmet).

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:00 am 

I think it's a great idea - moderation that is. Can we ban Ahmet and JayPeedSpunkInAGuysArse for being dickheads?

Solipsism Soundcloud
Solipsism Shitface

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:26 pm 

Everything is good in moderation except moderation itself. If there ever was a website that should not be moderated its this one. Thats my vote.

And JP doesn't bother me one bit, even though I get lambasted like everyone else.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:01 am 

i can't read this thread.
i have everyone on ignore.

sorry guys.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:46 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
No mngmnt signature now, lapsde maps?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:55 am 

oooop, thanks for the reminder.
i am taking you off of ignore first thing tomorrow morning.

mngmnt2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:08 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Hey Mikey, I hate to squeal on lapsed maps, but someone has been pretending to be from the mngmnt (sic) team for quiet a while now...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:29 am 

heh. "pretending".

mngmnt2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:37 am 

I prefer to stay unmoderated. I live in a terrible politically correct country. That's why I like this forum. :smurf:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:42 am 

My_Name_Is_Fritz wrote:
I prefer to stay unmoderated.

this.

we are all adults here.
myself notincluded.

mngmnt2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:02 am 

I am not for censorship. I don't even ignore people.

But one thing I'll say is Frank was right when he said people can do or believe whatever the fuck they want, as long as those beliefs and actions don't impinge on someone else's rights. In my mind, we have just one extreme racist on this forum, JayP. A few racist comments is fine, we can all live with that. But his wall-to-wall consistent racist hate mongering, statements that minorities should be dead, statements of disregard for the law, and dangerously siding with white people who do harm to black people should not be ignored. History has shown us time after time that freedom of speech is not absolute, and that evil begets evil.

I know I'm in the minority saying this, but I think Frank would have ripped him a new one, based on his Franks own statements on free speech.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:59 am 

A few thoughts:

I am looking forward to the new changes here.

Some suggestions:
The message board categories are vague to say the least!
Perhaps you could retitle them, say, 'Zappa Movies', 'Zappa Albums', 'New releases', Live Concert Discussion', and so on.
"What's Zappening", "Legends, Myths, And Fantasies", and "General Board" are way too...well....general!

I'm all for board moderation. Most of the time the threads here get hijacked by rude, self-involved folks and make the threads go way off topic. Have a little class. Don't use the "Free Speech" card as an excuse to be abrasive, confrontational, and behave like a troll. I worry about the mental health of some fans here.......
I know a lot of folks here think they are "acting as Frank might". You're not. You're being obnoxious. Frank was not obnoxious.

Best of luck. Whatever happens with the ZFT, I sincerely hope more vault music gets released if possible. So far, things have been great in that aspect.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:10 pm 
Banned

Ronny's Noomies wrote:
I am not for censorship. I don't even ignore people.

But one thing I'll say is Frank was right when he said people can do or believe whatever the fuck they want, as long as those beliefs and actions don't impinge on someone else's rights. In my mind, we have just one extreme racist on this forum, JayP. A few racist comments is fine, we can all live with that. But his wall-to-wall consistent racist hate mongering, statements that minorities should be dead, statements of disregard for the law, and dangerously siding with white people who do harm to black people should not be ignored. History has shown us time after time that freedom of speech is not absolute, and that evil begets evil.

I know I'm in the minority saying this, but I think Frank would have ripped him a new one, based on his Franks own statements on free speech.

Fuck you Ronny!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:36 pm 

So, ban Iranian citizens until the hostages were released = ban a whole religion until "we figure things out".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:50 pm 

I wish I still had that cover to one of FZ's "Society's Pages" depicting Frank with an outstretched middle finger and a speech balloon emphatically asserting, "Censorship Is Fucked!" Leave JohnnyPeeFuckadero alone to do his own shit by the same principle we use to maintain, "If you don't like what's on your fucking TV switch the channel or shut it off!"
The latest pile of "PC crap" involves "anti-hate speech" and "end bullying" which is a whole lot of moralistic "nicey-nice" hyper-slop handing brickbats to real assholes to allegedly "sensitive" creeps like Oprah, Ellen and many other pseudo-liberals who are very illiberal and as dogmatic as "right-wing Christians" who've bulldozed their absolutism for over forty years with a frightening degree of success. It all feeds into phony self-importance, it stinks and it sucks. Who benefits? Not those who are said to benefit. More stupidity Americans lust for as an ideal and the rest of the world follows. (The last time I was here [April, this year!] I used a common term that I'll have to disguise as the pun "Large Farmer" which was immediately translated as "SPAM" so maybe I'll have to tread more lightly than I'm aware that I have to.
(For those who recall less stupid days, think of the huge blast of outrage we'd be in for if there were a marathon of the sit-com of the early '70s "All In The Family" because of the words used!)

Oh, meanwhile, I haven't been able to get in here because only one computer remembered my password and it was fucked up until a week ago when I tried something "ridiculous" and, voila!, it was un-fucked! I hope the Admin can help me with that because too many tries at guessing the password only results it being told, "you have attempted to access this site too many times. Try at a later time".

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:24 am 

TurningAgain wrote:
The message board categories are vague to say the least!
Perhaps you could retitle them, say, 'Zappa Movies', 'Zappa Albums', 'New releases', Live Concert Discussion', and so on.
"What's Zappening", "Legends, Myths, And Fantasies", and "General Board" are way too...well....general!

heh.
i wouldn't mind less board categories.
in a perfect world:

- allthingszappa
- nonzappa music
- politicsquabbles
- life. love. laughter.

i know, this would never work as there will always be overspill.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next