Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:48 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Explain (I don't know much about Crowley except he was supposedly into the occult and Ozzy wrote a song about him):

I don't know what brainpang meant, but I think Gail must have had some interest in Crowley. Some years back there was an email announcement for one of the ZFT releases that used a tarot card as the image. It was the Fool, I guess to tie in with April Fool's Day. But it wasn't the familiar image from the Ryder-Waite deck or one of the other traditional versions of the tarot; it was the Fool card from the "Thoth" deck that Aleister Crowley designed, which is pretty fuckin' esoteric.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:20 am 

GreenHocher wrote:
The WTF podcast with Dweezil is out today. Pretty crazy stuff - give it a listen.
http://www.wtfpod.com/

wow, I feel so sorry for what Dweezil's been going through.
And still after all this crap, He's such a perennial optimist! wow

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:35 am 

Listened last night. Thanks for posting GreenHocher!

Oh, what a difference 16 years can make.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7vMgd0_EG0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:43 pm 

^^ No shit. They used to be buddies. :cry:

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:27 am 

I've seen this kinda stuff many times. When Parents pass on, the left-behinds, especially the siblings, get shitty.
Brings out the worst in people.
I don't understand it, never will.
Too bad that this is happening in public. :(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:08 pm 

I've been keeping up with this zft drama, but all things considered, I'm finding it hard to swallow the Moon and Dweezil narrative.

Serious question: Why are their version of events unquestioningly trusted as gospel truth? Is it because they are putting shit on Gail, and fans hate Gail? There are plenty of examples of Moon being disparaging about Frank's music and work, and Dweezil trying to sell guitars Frank gave him.

It's obvious Dweezil is using this drama for publicity for his upcoming tour, and Moon is basking in the only spotlight she's had since Valley Girl. Interesting that they've only found the courage to speak up now that their mother isn't here to defend herself. Something doesn't smell right.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:53 pm 

None of it smells right, Mr. Sausage. I've never heard Moon disparage Frank's "music and work" though she has been critical of her father's lifestyle (lust for groupies, etc.) and her upbringing by both her parents. Then again, I think most of us would be critical of at least some aspects of our parents behaviors and parenting skills.

Your point about Dweezil and the guitars is good though. He was trying to sell the "Hendrix Strat" some years ago for a million dollars. As far as I know there were no takers. If that guitar is really that valuable it kind of makes sense that Gail would want to repossess it especially if Dweezil was just trying to turn it into cash for himself. I know Dweezil sold a lot of his other guitars when he got divorced. I'm sure this was part of the agreement with his ex-wife regarding splitting assets.

I wonder where the Hendrix Strat is now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:07 pm 

KUIII wrote:
I've never heard Moon disparage Frank's "music and work"

Neither have I. Where might I find such remarks?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:00 am 

The new merch hath arrived:
https://shop.dweezilzappaworld.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:38 pm 

Check out Moon's twitter from June 27th.

"I wanted to turn our childhood home into a bed and breakfast/museum/retreat center where fans could pilgrimage and artists could record on sacred ground." et cetera

If there is any truth to such desires why didn't we hear of this before it sure as hell is not going to happen?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:40 pm 

sheesh....
yea, it appears unseemly for dweezil attempting to sell guitars (years ago) and no doubt it would and will and does piss off other members of the foam-ily. But guess what? If Frank gave them to him, he can do whatever the heck he wants with 'em. That's his right. I HATE to bring in the Frank Clause here, but imagine:

"DAD, I need money! Everything has gone to shit! I thought it would last forever!"

"Fuck it, son. It's a piece of wood and metal parts. Who cares? Cash it in and get that woman off your back."

Last edited by brainpang on Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 8:46 pm 

Joe Blow wrote:
Check out Moon's twitter from June 27th.

"I wanted to turn our childhood home into a bed and breakfast/museum/retreat center where fans could pilgrimage and artists could record on sacred ground." et cetera

If there is any truth to such desires why didn't we hear of this before it sure as hell is not going to happen?

I'd say it is a bit of day dreaming? Unless the Zappa Compound had some special commercial zoning exemption in snobby residential Laurel Canyon, the neighbors would never put up with it. They don't want US hanging around, that I know.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:51 pm 

brainpang wrote:
"DAD, I need money! Everything has gone to shit! I thought it would last forever!"

"Fuck it, son. It's a piece of wood and metal parts. Who cares? Cash it in and get that woman off your back."

No shit. If it's Dweezil's guitar he can do what he wants with it. It's no one else's business.
GreenHocher wrote:
The new merch hath arrived:
https://shop.dweezilzappaworld.com/

Sorry. I just can't deal with the censorship of the word FUCK. I don't know what my problem is but it really bothers me. Censoring the word FUCK is like giving in to assholes. Something FZ never seemed to do. It also makes humans look really brain damaged and conflicted. The F and K are cool but not the U and C? We all know what the word is and what it means. Who are we protecting? Fuck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:25 am 

Personally, I would never wear a t-shirt with the word "Fuck" on it and I cringe a little bit when I see others exercising their right to free expression so blatantly. There are some societal norms that I prefer to respect. I avoid swearing in front of people I don't know, especially children. Much like we all know that most men have penises I don't go around with mine hanging out of my zipper nor would I appreciate anybody else doing it. Now tits, that's something else entirely!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:09 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Personally, I would never wear a t-shirt with the word "Fuck" on it and I cringe a little bit when I see others exercising their right to free expression so blatantly. There are some societal norms that I prefer to respect. I avoid swearing in front of people I don't know, especially children. Much like we all know that most men have penises I don't go around with mine hanging out of my zipper

Did you compare a word on a shirt to someone having their dick out?

C'mon, man. I was just goofing off but now it's serious.

For the record, KUIII... I'd never wear a tshirt with the word "Fuck" on it, either. Yet Dweezil just manufactured a couple. F%*K is Fuck. The kids know that. Guess you'll be doing some cringing at yer next Dweezil show. Join the club. :wink:

I am careful not to swear in front of kids as well. I don't say "Fuck" in front of people who don't like it. For example, my mom. However, it's 100% their hang up. I respect it because I know they have been conditioned that way. Like how it's okay to say "intercourse" on network television but not "Fuck" when referring to sex. They mean the same thing. It's some kind of letter phobia. But I do go along with it. Don't say "Fuck" in front of the kids but send 'em off to school with their goddamn internet phones to space out on. Don't wanna corrupt 'em.

What it comes down to is I wouldn't use the word "FUCK" in any kind of artistic content if I had to censor the F, U, K or the C. It's too ludicrous and indicative of how stupid we all are. "Artistic expression" is for rising above that shit.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:16 pm 

KUIII wrote:
None of it smells right, Mr. Sausage. I've never heard Moon disparage Frank's "music and work" though she has been critical of her father's lifestyle (lust for groupies, etc.) and her upbringing by both her parents. Then again, I think most of us would be critical of at least some aspects of our parents behaviors and parenting skills.

Your point about Dweezil and the guitars is good though. He was trying to sell the "Hendrix Strat" some years ago for a million dollars. As far as I know there were no takers. If that guitar is really that valuable it kind of makes sense that Gail would want to repossess it especially if Dweezil was just trying to turn it into cash for himself. I know Dweezil sold a lot of his other guitars when he got divorced. I'm sure this was part of the agreement with his ex-wife regarding splitting assets.

I wonder where the Hendrix Strat is now.

I thought Dweezil put the Hendrix Strat up for sale in a charity auction and bought it from himself. I was under the impression he still had it.

Ike Willis told me, over a beer in a San Francisco bar before a Pojama People show, it was his guitar and Dweezil stole it from him, that Frank had given it to him. Consider the source, but plausible.

This whole thing stinks quite honestly. New releases are now on the Zappa website, but now instead of pangs to rush out and order the latest releases I am much more "meh" as I feel like the oldest two kids are getting the royal shaft.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:11 pm 

The Moon quote.

Lastly I have received a slurry of shared sorrow from those of you that heard part two of the DZ/Maron podcast and from those of you that read the LA Times piece. I thank you for your kind words, warmth and good wishes. Thank you for your stories about death and your family shite. I hope my public horror gives you some healing and fodder for carrying on as well… Perhaps I will break that whole Times article down completely at a later date but in the interim…
While Dweezil and I are “beneficiaries”, the ZFT maintains there is no money, hence drastic kickstarters and auctions and Ebay house sale and no guitars for Dweezil and such...So it makes me laugh that Dweezil and I must have “done something” to not receive what isn’t there. Yet…
GZ managed to make 20 million dollars disappear with the team she had in place, the team the ZFT has lovingly kept in place. Does NO-ONE think this is INSANE? Why keep the same team that sank the ship, especially if a secret deal was struck a year earlier with no financial improvements...OR is there secret cash in offshore accounts or secret LLC’s in all their names? I was never paid for Valley Girl...I think that might have brought in a little green...
The writer says Dweezil and I will get paid when the ZFT makes a profit. Bahahahahaha. Does he have this in writing from the ZFT? My Grey Gardens mother and her monetary power grab, shell games were/are a JOKE. See EAT THAT QUESTION and pay particular attention to what my dad said about how “record companies have a peculiar way of making sure your expenses always exceed your profits.” I am certain he’d be HORRIFIED if he knew the wife he entrusted to care for all of us equally turned his homegrown label into the very thing he railed against. I hope my ex sibs wake up and decide to make him proud instead of ashamed. I’d LOVE to be proven wrong about what I am seeing but I tend to share my father’s view that science backs - objects in motion tend to stay in motion.
I wanted to turn our childhood home into a bed and breakfast/museum/retreat center where fans could pilgrimage and artists could record on sacred soil. I wanted to cook meals for you in the real Dangerous Kitchen and teach you yoga in my childhood living room. I wanted Dweezil to give you a master class on music in the home studio playing the guitars he inherited. I wanted Ahmet to give you a tour of his old bedroom and let you slide down his firepole and I hoped you'd watch Bruce Willis movies with Diva in her old bedroom with the glitter floors while she kept steady hands diligently continuing to knit her mile long scarf. I'm sorry the fans will only have "Zappa approved" dry goods and experiences from two of us instead of four. I wanted to write and direct a bio pic and do a 3-D doc on my dad and record an album of songs of my dad's I curated that girls and prudes like me might like with Pharrell Williams producing. I wanted to write and assemble the first four person family memoir about our awesome dad. Just some of my still born ideas...Oh well...
I always gave my mom love because hurt people hurt people, decimated people decimate people. I was clear on that. What I didn’t know was there were other broken people in my family. I can work with and forgive broken if it says sorry and means sorry and does sorry. Here if/when that day ever comes. More than anything I can’t help but wonder how on earth adopting GZ-flavored, rock ‘n’ roll Mommy Dearest, exclusionary and nefarious secret business practices protects OUR father’s legacy or honors HIS wishes? There is no need for secrecy if there is nothing to hide. Getting invited to Prague to hear my father’s music played live is free. Dweezil and I weren’t told about it or invited. Being included is free. Being considered is free. Being respected is free. I guess we really are all grieving in our own ways.
Lokha Samasta Sukhino Bhavantu
Moon!

http://www.jambase.com/article/moon-zap ... mily-drama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:22 pm 

Moon, I'm here for you darling. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:28 am 

Does anybody know if Moon was telling the truth about an upcoming book or just goofing around?
12:24 into
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DUynw3aij0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:50 am 

Joe Blow wrote:
Does anybody know if Moon was telling the truth about an upcoming book or just goofing around?
12:24 into
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DUynw3aij0

She just said that so Ahmet will spend a bunch of money on lawyers to tell her she can't. After he's spent a few thousand, she'll let him know she was just kidding.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:59 pm 

deleted! because the humor/irony of it can easily be misunderstood. My fault!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:27 pm 

Some interesting statements appeared in the comments section of the recent LA Times article...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu ... 9900003310

1 day ago...

bevdangelo

Gail Zappa was my best friend from 1986 until the day she died.As a close friend of the whole family for decades, it grieves to see such vitriolic dissension.
For the sake of accuracy, Moon Zappa published her first highly regarded novel, " America The Beautiful" in 2001. http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-7432-1383-7 https://www.amazon.com/America-Beautifu ... 0743213831
More than being " the [offspring] most focused musically", Dweezil Zappa is a Grammy award winning musician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWoM5Yqt2Es
Importantly, in Frank's will, ( which I was entitled to read because I was named within it) , Frank did empower Gail to take the reigns of the ZFT during her lifetime.
This action allowed Gail to subsequently implement her OWN choices as to how Frank's legacy was handled.
The current " blueprint" for operating the trust is based on Gail's will, not Frank's.
Therefore, it's misleading to present a quote ( highlighted even!) that Frank is "really the person who is guiding things...." , as though Frank's original and specific requests with regard to his estate and the trust are still being followed explicitly.
Using quotes in an article without providing the exact context, or without vetting a claim is a sin of omission that creates an inaccurate picture of the truth.What is a serious legal matter is being presented as nothing more serious than a gossip fest.
Frank's professional life was plagued by pundits who didn't take him seriously. Don't propagate the injustice.

2 hours ago...

bevdangelo
@jomano
I've always admired Frank's commitment to transparency and intellectual honesty.I valued the way he exercised his right to speak out publicly. So I decided to try it on for size. Thanks for responding.
I mentioned being a family friend to let people know why I cared about the article in the first place, and to vet myself so to speak, not to claim some inside track on judgement. This isn't about my personal opinions of any of the players- I just figured if the commenters are going pass judgement they should be better informed than this article allows.
I cited the reference to the will because the article refers to Franks' "blue print" as guidance for the current state of things.
"What Frank would have done" isn't really a complete mystery at all. Most prominently, his " blue print" was in his will.
Like all wills and those that involve a trust, Frank's included his choices of executors and successive trustees, as well as disposition of his intellectual property. One example: Gail herself has shared publicly that Frank wanted her to sell all the masters [that she owned at time of his death} and get out of the music business.

Long (even longer)story short Gail had a right to alter what was originally in place when the trust was formed, and she did.
So what's going on now isn't about about what Frank wanted, it's about what Gail wanted.

The conflict we are seeing is about how the present Trustees are exercising their own rights and various options to adhere to, alter or disregard what the Trustor put forth, and how those choices are impacting the beneficiaries.
It happens. And it has happened here.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:09 pm 

What Gail wanted sucks!

(but thanks for the article)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:52 pm 

Sometimes one has to be on the inside to know what is really going on.
Sometimes one has to be a total outsider, detached, to see the truth.
Is that too obvious?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:55 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Sometimes one has to be on the inside to know what is really going on.
Sometimes one has to be a total outsider, detached, to see the truth.
Is that too obvious?

Yes, Grasshopper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 370 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next