Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:05 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
Bump because Jimmy D Faggot ruined it.

How did jimmie ruin it dumbass? You originally posted that shit on someone else's thread. They probably felt the same way you do. Goddamn, you're such a fucking hypocrite. :roll:

brainpang wrote:
Not shocking at all, just a bummer.

Now I know what Moon truly meant when she wrote, to paraphrase: "Celebrating Gail at her worst instead of FZ at his best."

It wasn't just the kickstarter, it was the whole tamale.

Ahmet = Gail (potentially worse!). And so he rules supreme.

Glad I stuck with my gut and rejected the whole vault/doc thing.

Well said man. Glad I avoided the kickstarter too.

Piss off, methmouth.

Fuck you dickhead. I'm not the one who threw money to people who can't even agree over what they ALREADY have. Dumbass.

At least I don't leave lipstick prints on the pipe.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:53 am 

^ :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:26 pm 

^ :mrgreen: X2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:43 pm 

pedro2 wrote:

Whatcha needs is
Brotherly Love ... c'mon get it now

Oh, that's going viral. No question.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:11 pm 

8)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:33 pm 

I just read about this on Facebook and found my way to this thread. I am shocked and saddened.

In addition to changing the name of his tribute project, Dweezil Zappa said that he would not carry any of the trust’s official merchandise or use any images of his father — whose likeness is also controlled by the trust — in promoting the tour. He will, however, play the same songs from his father’s catalog that he always has.

“I am not standing in the way of Dweezil playing the music,” Ahmet said. “He would just have to be in accordance with the family trust.”

Dweezil Zappa said that while his mother charged him an “exorbitant fee” to use the name Zappa Plays Zappa, he has never paid for a grand rights license.

What the fuck?? I can't believe it.

Dweez should change the name to Zappa Versus Zappa.

I had planned on contributing to the Kickstarter, but became skeptical and didn't pull the trigger. I was actually having regrets about not doing it, but now I'm glad I held off. I don't think it's a bad thing to have contributed, no one could have known.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:17 pm 

Speaking to the New York Times, Ahmet Zappa said the trust's stance against Zappa Plays Zappa isn't personal and that they're only preserving the integrity of their father's legacy. "I am not standing in the way of Dweezil playing the music," he said. "He would just have to be in accordance with the family trust."

How the hell can you better preserve the integrity of frank's music other than having his own son play it ?? :?
Evidently Ahmet looks at Dweeze's band as some sort of ' cover ' band and should be held to the same standards as the bands that Gail sued.

I don't know Ahmet and Diva's side but it sure sounds like a dickish thing to pull on a sibling.

Ahmet , do us a favor and ' splain this one . :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:08 pm 

On a podcast, (I'm pretty sure it was Maron's WTF) I heard a comedian talking about Ahmet. Seems Ahmet was doing some kind of open mic night at a club, talking about how he wanted to pursue doing something with Frank's music, but Gail was going to charge him just like she would any other person. This was a few years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:14 pm 

Damn , was Gail that much of a witch to have that written in her will ? :?
Looks like this AW guy is going to walk away with the goods and leave 1/2 the family in the dust.
I wonder if Dweeze and Moon are going to to be snubbed of all future money if they don't comply ?
I don't think Frank would approve. :|

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:16 am 

OK everybody is against FZT, but let's look at it from the business point of view.

- All 4 kids are beneficiaries of ZFT.

So is someone want's to use the Zappa name or logo, etc. all kids would get 25% each.

Let's say Dweezil or any other party would have to pay 100.000 to use the Zappa name. Each kid would get 25.000. So if they would allow Dweezil to use the name for free every kid would grant him 25.000 usd.

And of course it sound much better that he could use his own name, but what if Moon started her own t-shirt shop selling FZ t shirts. Should she pay to the FZT for using his trademarks or should she be allowed to do so for free. It's her own name and she is Frank's daughter.

And what if Ahmet would start a FZ Burgerchain. Should the FZT just let him do so and keep al the profits to himself?. Or should they al just pay their commission to FZT so all beneficiaries would get their proper share?

Maybe treating everybody the same, family or not is not such a stupid thing.

Just like to shine a different light on it . But I hate what is going on like everybody else.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:09 am 

Or is it all part of Dweezil's grand plan to thwart the kickstarter?

When death is in the house, the crows are on the roof.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:27 am 

I agree with Reinbo. Even though it sounds sour, I see too many people judging without even having a real clear picture of what the fuzz really is about. Quick to judge, quick to anger, slow to understand...

Could this divide have started back in 2006? I remember that the first announcements of ZPZ were with both, D and A.

BTW, I waited until the last day, donated a money I didn't really have, but I am still cool with it.

And leave Diva alone!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:31 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Thinman wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
… have donated to the Kickstarter but now after reading this shit I wish I hadn't.

Next time: Think first, then donate.

Like I said, I am torn. I am a FZ collector and wanted some of the perks from the Kickstarter. I went with the $300 option way before the details of this ZFT rift became public.

I would never consider to donate any money in the direction of these people. Be it via somebody's Kickstarter project or anything else. I would donate for a million other things if I had the money, but why the hell should I donate to make the lives of a bunch of wealthy kids easier?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:39 am 

http://www.inquisitr.com/3046259/gail-zappa-death-did-not-end-her-tyrannical-control-over-franks-legacy/

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:04 am 

Reinbo wrote:

And of course it sound much better that he could use his own name, but what if Moon started her own t-shirt shop selling FZ t shirts. Should she pay to the FZT for using his trademarks or should she be allowed to do so for free. It's her own name and she is Frank's daughter.

And what if Ahmet would start a FZ Burgerchain. Should the FZT just let him do so and keep al the profits to himself?. Or should they al just pay their commission to FZT so all beneficiaries would get their proper share?

Maybe treating everybody the same, family or not is not such a stupid thing.

I don't see these examples as treating everybody the same. In your two examples, Moon and Ahmet would be creating their own products and then attaching Frank's name or image to them in some way. Dweezil is not creating something new, but rather promoting something already in existence, which is Frank's music. I suppose a better comparison would be if all 4 Zappa children did their own individual ZPZ tours. As Frank's children, I'd support them using Frank's name and likeness.

What I find frustrating is that I believe that more than anything else, ZPZ is a labor of love. My feeling is that everyone involved should be thankful and appreciative for Dweezil's effort to keep Frank's music alive. To prevent Frank's own son from using the name "Zappa Plays Zappa" and Frank's image, just seems petty and most importantly, counterproductive to maintaining Frank's legacy, which I believe is something everyone wants.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:21 am 

Come on. What a waste of time. Let Dweezil whatever he wants. Zappa Plays Zappa does 100000 times more to preserve Frank's legacy than a stupid documentary.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:28 pm 

wakawazoo wrote:
Come on. What a waste of time. Let Dweezil whatever he wants. Zappa Plays Zappa does 100000 times more to preserve Frank's legacy than a stupid documentary.

How many times have you seen ZPZ?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:49 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
wakawazoo wrote:

None, but I've watched them through youtube and they kick ass. But yeah, I'm prejudging the film. Maybe it's good. Hell, I've got nothing intresting to say. I just wanted to add some fire. :|

MUP.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:39 pm 

wakawazoo wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
wakawazoo wrote:

None, but I've watched them through youtube and they kick ass. But yeah, I'm prejudging the film. Maybe it's good. Hell, I've got nothing intresting to say. I just wanted to add some fire. :|

MUP.

I was just thinking that a documentary would go to places that ZPZ can't or won't play. But who knows what it will be like.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:18 pm 

A couple of points on this:

I wish that there were a few more facts out there to help me clarify what is going on here. Maybe Dweezil said fuck you to Ahmet and Diva when they asked him to pay another 'exorbitant fee' to tour ZPZ again? By making this such a public feud the two sides are drawing some pretty deep battle lines. It's possible that this kind of family shit had been going on for a long time.

Like others have said, this is just sad in so many ways

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:33 pm 

Yes. This is the first time that Dweezil has ever publicly voiced any dissaproval with the way his Mom handled the ZFT and now we learn he has felt that way for a long time. I used to criticize Dweezil (even on his own website) for never parting from the official party line (i.e. Gail). We see now that maybe he had to censor his own opinions to stay in the good graces of the ZFT (his Mother). What a concept. The son of one of the greatest advocates of free speech having to tape his mouth shut to stay in the good graces of the family business. The more I read and learn about Gail the more I realize what a fascist she grew to become.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 9:32 pm 

remember this from 2010; dz & the zft present ... dzpz

-----------------------------------------------------------

this was filed 2015-12-18

justia › trademarks › categories › clothing › zappa plays zappa - trademark details

. . . . . . . . . . 681 - publication/issue review complete
serial number
. . . . . .86854176
word mark
. . . . . . . .zappa plays zappa
status
. . . . . . . . . . .681 - publication/issue review complete
status date
. . . . . . . 2016-04-28
filing date
. . . . . . . .2015-12-18
mark drawing
. . . . . .4000 - standard character mark typeset
opposition date
. . . . .2016-05-31
attorney name
. . . . . dax alvarez
law office a-code
. . . .l10
employee name
. . . . .parker, justine d

statements
goods and services: apparel
namely: headwear, footwear, tops, bottoms, tank tops, t-shirts, shirts, coats, socks, buttplugs, sweatshirts, pants, jackets, blazers, sport coats, slacks, blouses, shorts, sweaters, cardigans, pullovers, ties, vests, jerseys, sweatpants, sweat suits, workout suits, briefs, undershirts, boxer shorts, hosiery, sleepwear, long johns, underwear, lingerie, bras, tights, leotards, pajamas, nightshirts, robes, sleep shorts, raincoats,
ponchos, sneakers, casual shoes, slippers, bandanas, neckties, neckerchiefs, jeans, hats, caps, visors, gloves, suspenders, scarves, mufflers, belts, leggings, rompers, trousers, jumpsuits, overalls, skirts, dresses, jumpers, swimwear, headbands

classification information
international class
. . . . 025 - clothing, footwear, headgear
us class codes
. . . . . . .022, 039
class status code
. . . . .6 - active
class status date
. . . . .2015-12-29
primary code
. . . . . . . 025

current trademark owners
party name
. . . . . . . the zappa family trust
party type
. . . . . . . .10 - original applicant
legal entity type
. . . . 17 - trust

event date
. . . . event description
2015-12-22
. . . . new application entered in tram
2015-12-29
. . . . new application office supplied data entered in tram
2016-04-06
. . . . assigned to examiner
2016-04-13
. . . . non-final action written
2016-04-13
. . . . non-final action e-mailed
2016-04-13
. . . . notification of non-final action e-mailed
2016-04-20
. . . . teas response to office action received
2016-04-20
. . . . correspondence received in law office
2016-04-21
. . . . teas/email correspondence entered
2016-04-28
. . . approved for pub - principal

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:34 am 

I couldn't give a shit about the name. If he really does, he should just call it Dweezil Plays Zappa. That rolls off the tongue.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:01 am 

This whole thing is extremely maddening. Here are a few thoughts.

1. Pedro2 nailed it when he said:

"How the hell can you better preserve the integrity of frank's music other than having his own son play it ??

2. The ZFT embodies the Ralph Waldo Emerson quote, that " A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds."

3. A total boycott is in order, starting with moving en mass to a different forum.

4. Someone should organize a Free Frank Zappa concert at MSG staring Dweezil and a all star guest line up of famous musicians influenced by Frank.

5. Dweezil should rename his band one of the following:

Dweezil
Dweezil Zappa
Dweezil & the Family Feud
Dweezil & the A-hole Siblings
(I think I will start a thread on this.)

6. Dweezil should get financial backing to buy out his siblings. His equity will be his share of trust. Smart folks (like the folks running the Dead archive) will do much better with the grossly underutilized body of work.

7. Who is the first "Zappa" in Zappa Plays Zappa? Has to be Dweezil. I don't think the ZFT should be using Dweezil's name without his permission.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:45 am 

It's been mentioned earlier in the thread, but to me the real jaw-dropper of the Times piece is that Gail charged her own son for use of the Zappa name for ZpZ. The mind boggles. I guess it makes sense to set a precedent on paper and that those fees were going back into the family business i.e.: the ZPZ, which despite the "Family" title all these years I assume has been 100% controlled by Gail and Gail alone, and Gail alone being the recipient of any moneys earned since Frank's death.
We know for sure that MZ & DZ have been cut out of the business. Why were they cut out? We don't know for sure. It's ugly as fuck but it seems AZ doesn't want Dweezil to be the official performance face of FZs music, hence throwing legal blocks to his brother. It seems incredibly petty. We don't know the whole story...but dang..it just seems like such a raw deal for the Dweez. I feel for him. Some of Moon and Dweezil's Twitter comments a few weeks ago were telling and sad. Gail cut them out for some reason. And apparently the ones in control (AZ & Diva) want to keep to that way. All speculation. We don't really know what's up or behind this..but it certainly doesn't look like they'll all be having Thanksgiving dinner this November. I hope they can work it out.

Bottom line is that I'm in it for the music. I want releases and I want them regular. I don't care who delivers them as long as I get them. But if the whole bit is sad and certainly doesn't make Gail look any better. One again...we're on the outside. We don't know the whole story. But still. From here it stinks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next