Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:20 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
I gotta say I am with DZ 100% on this. Not getting any $$$ from the merch for 10 fucking years was total bullshit. It was his roadies that he was paying had to do all the work to lug that shit in and out of the venues, set it up etc...

DZ is getting the shaft!!!

Completely agree. Ahmet has gone full fuckin' Gail in less than a year.

I get the feeling Joe Travers left ZPZ due to growing issues between Dweezil and ZFT.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:33 am 

Dweezil's getting hosed. The idea that AW has unfettered access to the fault is ludicrous at best. So is the merch issue. We all knew GZ was a piece of work. I didn't realize how fucked up she really was. I thought the ZFT existed to protect the family from outside forces meddling with or profiting from FZ's work. I never thought it would ever be aimed at the family members themselves. There's something fucked up about that.

I ain't buying shit until this is resolved.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:42 am 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

+1

Ahmet might want to start paying attention to the fan base .

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:59 am 

What a cluster... None of this should be public. It's really a bad look for all involved.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:04 am 

You didn't try to call me?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:16 am 

On 10/28/09, Trendmonger wrote, "...I trust the ZFT more so than anyone else alive...."

Read it and weep.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:03 am 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
On 10/28/09, Trendmonger wrote, "...I trust the ZFT more so than anyone else alive...."

Read it and weep.

Well...Trendmonger's right. He does trust the ZFT more so than anyone else alive. He trusts it even more than Dweezil!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:58 am 

pedro1 wrote:
Ronny's Noomies wrote:

+1

Ahmet might want to start paying attention to the fan base .

+1

Pay DZ his percentage and get the stuff released so we can sent you our money again.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:44 pm 

bracton wrote:
None of this should be public.

What are you, nuts? This is great!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:08 pm 

Thus would make a good plot addition to Game of Thrones!

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:33 pm 

He didn't mention the guitars. Another ball of wax, I guess. Or lost cause. Or a fight for another day.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 5:51 pm 

P-u-b-l-i-c-i-t-y
find out what it means to Z

They are probably going to make up in public as well. Later on. This public discussion of private matters between two brothers is typical 21st century American confusion. But, hey, it's stirring the sleeping Zappa consumers. Like I care. People returning to the board acting like FZ is more relevant because a vault that has always been there is now ceasing to be neglected.

sock it to me sock it to me

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:38 pm 

Ronny's Noomies wrote:

I just might start doing the same thing.

I've LOVE to hear/read Ahmet's response to what Dweezil just wrote.

This whole mess is unfuckingbelievable. The plot thickens...:shock:

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:37 pm 

I smelled this shit from a mile away, not surprised it's getting ugly.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=27035&start=75

Glad to see DZ smack down little bro :lol: . How does Ahmet sleep at night? And Mr. Travers? How long is he going to go with the program like everything's cool?

I'm really conflicted on pre-ordering RT#3 or any future Vault releases until this garbage is settled.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:03 pm 

Look at the bright side, Z band record reissues should be tied up in legalities for years, perhaps never seeing the light of day.

Hallelujah!

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:16 am 

Quote:
In the name of protecting the music of our father, our mother created a legacy of her own. I'm not referring to that in a pleasant way. This legacy included years of failed multi-million dollar debt inducing lawsuits, a determination to posses every thing connected with our father, (down to trademarking his mustache) and a perception that anyone playing Franks music was somehow suspect and motivated by dubious intentions.

Wow! Out it came. What many had suspected.......

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:06 am 

As a fan of Frank and Dweezil's music for over 25 years, I'm extremely saddened to be reading this recent legal action.

From the evidence presented by both the NYT and the exchanges of messages on this board, I can understand why DZ has felt it necessary to take this action.

Like other fans I'll also be holding off on any purchases I was considering from the Barfko Swill site until this terrible matter is resolved.

As someone who's been ripped off when writing and performing for others time and time again, it's extremely sad to think that family would do this to one another too. Touring is without doubt expensive and I can only hope that DZ has been able to take the concert ticket sales at the very least to pay for the band(of which is superb so I hope they can continue).

Why is it that the musicians are always the most exploited part of the music business. They want to play and create music. Let the artists be artists. What happens? They work there butts off and in return get ripped off and cheated out of there rightful earnings while others make millions.

For crying out loud. DZ is asking only 10% of the merchandise profits so if I read this correctly the FZT get's 90%!!!! It's sounds a bit unfair when DZ is doing all the work but obviously he puts the family first as opposed to family taking everything and giving him nothing. That's not only unfair it's down right greedy and unsupportive.

FZT PLEASE!!! People need more than 'we think your great and your doing a great job', in order to survive. They need support in the form of actions too.

I'm also pissed off about this Kickstarter that looks set to take over the amazing Zappa Vault. Family and Fans alike seriously want to hear what's in there. We all know Frank would only release what he felt was the best material for his albums, there's bound to be hours of amazing new things to hear in there and then the humungous live catalog (us fans can never get enough concerts of our favourite artist/composer).

The worst aspect of this is hearing about a legacy that's obviously being squandered. Frank Zappa albums on ebay alone are a non stop seller. New albums even more so. So if album sales are good, who's actually getting all the money? If it's to pay legal fee's then what a complete waste of money. That's money that could have seen the release of 20 - 30 more albums by now and resulted in profits all around for everyone.

I realise not everyone liked the Ryko releases but back in the day when I started collecting Frank's amazing music, there were stands that held almost all of Frank's releases at that time. The albums had picture discs and were so different and interesting, even non-Zappa fans I new were picking up the odd album will in the music shop just for something different. In short life was good and Zappa albums were obtainable. Now you have to bid for them on ebay for horrendous sums of money and correct me if I am mistaken but that's money that's not going to any Zappa's pocket. Why? Because there's not enough world wide distribution happening of albums. Now with vinyl coming back strongly is the perfect time to get all the albums out again. Sure digital downloading can be a method(although high definition audio is all I will personally purchase in download form (I'm talking 24bit 96KHz or higher(192KHz is better)). Otherwise I'd rather have a CD(most CD's are only 16bit 44.1KHz unless you can find SACD versions of the albums and there's another market for you just waiting to be tapped), or the good ol vinyl(if I can find it).

Essentially if the legal fees were swapped for marketing and distribution then royalties and serious coin can start flooding in again. At the moment all that's happening is a bottleneck.

PLEASE FZT to honor the memory of my favourite composer of the 20th century, can you PLEASE fix this up pronto and start getting on with ensuring Frank's music is able to get to all the ears that want to hear it. The music should come first always as music is the best.

PS. As for Kickstarters, how about launching your own FZT Kickstarters where the backers will get a copy of a new album where the Kickstarter funds the mastering and publication fees?????

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:01 am 

Awrite, why are people pledging not to buy FZ Goods until the Z Siblings learn to communicate? Why? Is it a wallet protest? Do you think that you are punishing AZ this way? Do you think that it will change how either of them operate? If Z discs stop selling, both get punished, so how does that solve anything? Is it some form of solidarity with DZ? Maybe just cuz you think its cool to do so cuz you like him as a musician? It seems to me the only thing that can happen from fan inaction is less FZ material output in the near future, possibly for years to come. I can't understand why FZ Forum members would want that.
We have close to zero evidence that either DZ or AZ has the higher ground. The majority of the items mentioned are simply disagreements on the basic facts. As fans, we can't look up their contracts, right? I have no idea, but neither Z-letter gave enough facts to really prove their perspective to be the more valid. We could see a contract today that supports either one, but more likely the truth is somewhere between the 2 of them.
Even if you lean towards one side or the other, it is likely due to a single bit of information and definitely not based on the whole picture. That is fine for a current opinion, but not a good reason to slow down available FZ material.
Imo, DZ needs to accept that he has fucked up historically. AZ needs to accept that the current contract needs to change. Beyond that, there is just a bunch of guesswork. But, I am 100% confident that things will get worse, not better, if Z discs stop selling.

Some lyrics for perspective...

Joan Armatrading - When I Get It Right

You always say
When I just messed up
Did bad
Done wrong
Gone too far
Caused such pain
Such shame
I'm illegal
See one sided
No fair
A sin there
Act queer
Odd ball

I mishandle
You trample
So strong
Wear crown
Under foot
Put upon
Hold down

Hey when I get it right
Will you tell me please
I wanna know

You always say no
You don't mean yes
No way
Hold out
Turn around
Two refusals
Deaf ear turned here
Not want
Leave room
All fault here
Shake head
Drop dead

Hey when I get it right
Will you tell me please
I wanna know

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:35 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
It's ZFT NOT FZT, you stupid fucker!!

racist :mrgreen:
TT

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:39 am 

So now it's racist to say something bad about ignorant people ???
Where does it stop ? :?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 1:38 pm 

'The Forum Killed Arkay' wrote:
"Imo, DZ needs to accept that he has fucked up historically."

Explain, please. Unless you mean that DZ needs to accept that he got fucked over historically. I do get what you're saying about future FZ vault releases. Obviously if no one buys the next few, they'll just shut it down, or go to strictly downloads. I'll suck it up and buy RT#3 because it's a high quality CD release, and it's Frank Zappa music, regardless of who's in charge of the estate.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 4:45 pm 

This to me is really sad. I knew Gail was nuts, thought Dweezil was sketchy at times, but wow now I get it. Makes so much sense. Gail was fucking nuts and a meglomaniac that destroyed the family with paranoid and control. dweezil was just trying to deal w Gail.

How do you not give equal control to each of the 4 kids? Unless you want them to have issues.

I was done with zft for a long time especially after the $1k buy the rights fiasco.

I believe Dweezil has been royally screwed, and Ahmet and Diva if they truly want to make this right would allow their 30% portions to be cut to four equal parts.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 5:51 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
'The Forum Killed Arkay' wrote:
"Imo, DZ needs to accept that he has fucked up historically."

Explain, please. Unless you mean that DZ needs to accept that he got fucked over historically. I do get what you're saying about future FZ vault releases. Obviously if no one buys the next few, they'll just shut it down, or go to strictly downloads. I'll suck it up and buy RT#3 because it's a high quality CD release, and it's Frank Zappa music, regardless of who's in charge of the estate.

Imo...
I think of it in terms of "Fool DZ Once, Shame on GZ. Fool DZ Twice and Then for Years After, Shame on DZ."
We don't really know if he just felt he had to kowtow to GZ or if he was afraid to do his own thing outside of the ZFT or if he was just waiting for GZ to die so that he could complain to whoever was in charge afterward. But, in a situation like this, I have to put at least some of the blame on DZ. Families can be difficult in many ways and I'm guessing DZ might have seen doing as he did as the least bad of the choices. But, that doesn't mean he has the right to be self-righteous now that GZ has passed. I'm sure GZ had alot of control in the ZFT, but DZ is his own person and if he didn't like what was going on, he should have done something about it. He could talk to GZ. Failing that, maybe get someone to put a business plan together to convince GZ of a better way. Failing that, go out and make a deal elsewhere, one that he could live with. Just listening to DZ talk on stage tells me that he has less than stellar speaking skills. I've heard him tell FZ stories that a great speaker could floor the crowd with and it ends up with a mild crowd murmur of heh heh heh. I am guessing that better communication in that family might have gone a long way.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 6:54 pm 

SMH x 1.000,000
As an almost lifelong fan this shit is really sad.
To think the amount of time Frank spent battling Warner Brothers and WINNING on top of creating his empire is mind boggling.
To think of the amount of stress the guy went thru and yet still spit out gem after gem until his [premature] death is mind blowing.
And then to have Gail and then Ahmet soil it so deeply,thoroughly and callously is just fucking pathetic,
Frank is literally spinning in his grave.
Here's to hoping the righteous Dweeze can fight these cunts and come out victorious.
It's painfully obvious now that it's gone public who is right who is wrong.
good luck dweeze we got your back

p fucking s
quoting Joan Armatrading lyrics as some whack ass ode to relevance to this clusterfuck is some of the lamest gay-ass miserable dog shit i've had the misfortune to read all year.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:21 am 

Yawn

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next