Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:59 am 

LMFAO! just fell into your SARchasm!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:16 am 

duchamp wrote:
It's only been posted 3 times. Can someone else please post it again?

This post in the charts...with a BULLET! I said...with a BULLET!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:42 am 

Wow, simply stunning. Two thoughts come to mind:

1. DZ is using this as a means to not play FZ's music anymore whilst not getting any heat from fans.
2. DZ's lawyer is feeding him incorrect information.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:37 am 

tiboudre wrote:

1. DZ is using this as a means to not play FZ's music anymore whilst not getting any heat from fans.

1. I don't think so.
2. I don't know, but what the two brothers are saying is wildly different.

I think the real rub is that all income from ZPZ goes to the trust and is split four ways even though Dweezil is the one doing all the work (and a lot of work it is). Plus he has a unique skill and ability to do it. None of the other Zappas have any earning power for the trust outside of the release of Frank Zappa product. So Dweezil imo is being unjustly penalized. To me it makes sense that income from ZFT licensed products sold at ZPZ shows goes back into the Trust but it's really lame that the Trust wants all income from the musical performances of ZPZ to do the same.

Yes, it takes work to run the trust but Ahmet and Diva must get some kind of salary as the trustees to do that.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:23 am 

KUIII wrote:
duchamp wrote:

This post in the charts...with a BULLET! I said...with a BULLET!

BS doesn't even read what he's posted, let alone anything anyone else has.
TT

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:27 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
KUIII wrote:
I think the real rub is that all income from ZPZ goes to the trust and is split four ways even though Dweezil is the one doing all the work (and a lot of work it is). Plus he has a unique skill and ability to do it. None of the other Zappas have any earning power for the trust outside of the release of Frank Zappa product. So Dweezil imo is being unjustly penalized. To me it makes sense that income from ZFT licensed products sold at ZPZ shows goes back into the Trust but it's really lame that the Trust wants all income from the musical performances of ZPZ to do the same.

Yes, it takes work to run the trust but Ahmet and Diva must get some kind of salary as the trustees to do that.

I agree with all this. Also add in the fact that the band members also need to get paid. I think DZ is getting fucked big time.

Agreed.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:07 am 

duchamp wrote:

Sorry Mr forum genius

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:23 am 

That's fucking right. I would have to be a genius to see a post that was three spaces above the one I posted.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:48 am 

Boston Globe article for this weekends Brighton show.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/na ... nt=event25

"Dweezil said his mother also repossessed 14 guitars that were left to him after his father’s death, and his siblings now plan to auction them."

Dweezil Zappa says family feud started with mother

The news that Frank Zappa’s children are feuding over the rights to the rock star’s music was shocking. But Dweezil Zappa (inset) says he’s been dealing with the issue for more than a decade. “I know people are sad and angry. They can’t understand why it’s happening,” says Dweezil, whose band plays at the Brighton Music Hall Saturday. “But for me, I’ve been going through this for a long time, so it’s not a completely raw nerve.” Zappa announced last week he’s changed the name of his tribute act to his late father from Zappa Plays Zappa to Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa. The reason? He said the Zappa Family Trust, which owns the rights to his father’s music and is overseen by two of Dweezil’s siblings, Ahmet and Diva, informed him that the name Zappa is a trademark owned by the trust and he could be sued for copyright infringement for playing songs without proper permission. Dweezil said his mother, Gail, who died last year, was “the one who began creating the obstacles” by charging him a fee to use the name Zappa Plays Zappa. “And it wasn’t a small amount of money,” he says. Dweezil said his mother also repossessed 14 guitars that were left to him after his father’s death, and his siblings now plan to auction them. (Frank Zappa, a prolific composer and songwriter who recorded more than 80 albums, was 52 years old when he died of prostate cancer in 1993.) “This whole thing is just unfortunate,” says Dweezil, who’ll be playing songs from his new album, “Via Zammata,” at Saturday’s show. “I’ve been doing Zappa Plays Zappa for 10 years because I want people to experience my dad’s music, to have the opportunity to hear it performed live.” He said he plans to post something online that lays out his side of the Zappa family feud. “For people to believe what Gail was doing, as far as protecting and nurturing Frank’s legacy, it turns out to be quite a different story,” says Dweezil.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:08 pm 

lisab wrote:
[b][size=150]Dweezil Zappa says family feud started with mother.

I thought Family Feud started with Richard Dawson.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:25 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
lisab wrote:

Survey said...

Richard Dawson 39
Gail Zappa 34
Devil Anse Hatfield 13
Ole Ran'l McCoy 12
Steve Harvey 6

Way to go, Doug! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:30 pm 

KUIII wrote:
...but it's really lame that the Trust wants all income from the musical performances of ZPZ to do the same.

Is it what the ZFT wants? I thought it was a about a licensing deal. I doubt it includes splitting all the profits four way.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 1:55 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
KUIII wrote:
...but it's really lame that the Trust wants all income from the musical performances of ZPZ to do the same.

Is it what the ZFT wants? I thought it was a about a licensing deal. I doubt it includes splitting all the profits four way.

Yes, they want any income that ZPZ earns (net hopefully) to come back to the ZFT. And the rule applies to all four of them, garsh darn it, so it's like totally fair to everybody. So if Diva wants to start a band called Zappa Plays Zappa, that's just fine, but she has to give all that money to the ZFT too. Makes complete sense.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 2:56 pm 

Can you please point out from where you got that information or derived that conclusion? Sorry I overlooked it.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:04 pm 

deleted as it was not funny enough

Last edited by brainpang on Fri May 06, 2016 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:33 pm 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
Can you please point out from where you got that information or derived that conclusion? Sorry I overlooked it.

Re-read Ahmet's letter carefully. The $1.00 a year thing is for licensing. No big deal, right? But pay close attention to the part about any of the siblings using the Zappa Plays Zappa name. That they all pay a percentage to the trust. It's not clear on what the percentage is but that's the hang up. Come on, who in that family has any ability to make any money playing music under the Zappa Plays Zappa banner besides Dweezil?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:46 pm 

Did Ahmet not get any of the 1.5 million that Bruckheimer paid for the rights to his book?

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 6:24 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Did Ahmet not get any of the 1.5 million that Bruckheimer paid for the rights to his book?

I assume he did. He also seems to have a pretty good career with Disney going too in some sort of creative capacity. That movie "The Secret Life of Timothy Green" is based on a "concept" by Ahmet. There's also this little girls Disney cartoon he has going with his wife.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:06 pm 

KUIII wrote:
tiboudre wrote:

1. I don't think so.
2. I don't know, but what the two brothers are saying is wildly different.

He has to pay a percentage over the profits, not all of the profits. So he should just get a better accountant. It's easy to make the profits go away. Just give yourself a bigger salary and a lofty retainer.

What isnew is that FZT put a claim on the merchendise, but that does not sounds unreasonable to me. We are buying the t-shirts because it has Frank's stuff on them.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 4:46 am 

Reinbo wrote:
We are buying the t-shirts because it has Frank's stuff on them.

EEEEEEEWWWWWWW!!!! Gross!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:14 am 

+ 7

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 8:49 am 

brainpang wrote:
deleted as it was not funny enough

I knew I should have responded to that post. It WAS funny enough! I laughed out loud. Probably the best post in this thread. Particularly that last sentence. Maybe my support would have changed your mind. And now the post is gone. Ah, well. Art is not eternal.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:31 pm 

Sorry!

As a bonus tho' I do hope you will join me in my campaign to force Ahmet step down as CEO and Trusted of the ZFT.

His offense? Promoting Star Darlings on the Official Zappa Website.
He should at least be fined $1,000/day until it is removed.
It is not serving the interests of the beneficiaries and is harmful to the Legacy of FZ.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:17 pm 

brainpang wrote:
Sorry!

As a bonus tho' I do hope you will join me in my campaign to force Ahmet step down as CEO and Trusted of the ZFT.

His offense? Promoting Star Darlings on the Official Zappa Website.
He should at least be fined $1,000/day until it is removed.
It is not serving the interests of the beneficiaries and is harmful to the Legacy of FZ.

God! Good point! Ever talk about a conflict of interest.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 7:34 pm 

KUIII wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
lisab wrote:

Survey said...

Richard Dawson 39
Gail Zappa 34
Devil Anse Hatfield 13
Ole Ran'l McCoy 12
Steve Harvey 6

Way to go, Doug! :lol:

KUIII and Doug, this is the BEST (well music is the best, but this is pretty funny) :mrgreen:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 362 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next