Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:34 am 

Probably the time has come to find a better name than family trust?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:44 am 

He hasn't said why.
Joke?
A way to get lots of hits on his FaceBook page?
Blind ambition?
Genetics??

Time will tell...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:48 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
just plain doug wrote:
Genetics??

For a nominal service charge, I can determine that for you, please PM me for details. Bitcoin accepted.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:35 pm 

Interesting to note that John Sloatman says Dweezil and Moon each inherited $2.5mil after Gail's passing. That changes the narrative a lot from what Dweezil and Moon would have the public believe. When you factor in the constant character assassination Dweezil and Moon are launching against Ahmet using obviously biased media contacts (Inquisitor articles, anyone?), a different picture is starting to form.

Sounds like there is damning evidence soon to come to light which discounts the Moon/Dweezil narrative. I will be following this news closely.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:01 pm 

John Sloatman is Gail's brother so it stands to reason that he would side with his sister. I'm not saying I know anything but there you go.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:09 pm 

King Sausage wrote:
Interesting to note that John Sloatman says Dweezil and Moon each inherited $2.5mil after Gail's passing. That changes the narrative a lot from what Dweezil and Moon would have the public believe. When you factor in the constant character assassination Dweezil and Moon are launching against Ahmet using obviously biased media contacts (Inquisitor articles, anyone?), a different picture is starting to form.

Sounds like there is damning evidence soon to come to light which discounts the Moon/Dweezil narrative. I will be following this news closely.

It's possible Moon and Dweezil received that inheritance with the other stuff also being true (the 30/30/20/20 split with the Trust, etc.). Can't say I really feel sorry for anybody except that the Zappa home and assets that have been so much of their lives are not going to be there anymore for the offspring and their offspring to enjoy. A lot of "ordinary" people have to deal with that too (myself included).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:20 pm 

I commented on John's FB page that they may not have that kind of money, and he said that, no, Moon has 2.5 mil. So Dweezil may have the same....that's 5 million--Bob's going to pick up the 15 million that's left? The auction is selling Frank's guitars (that were supposed to go to Dweezil)--is the money from the auction going to go to John? Are Ahmet and Diva selling any of their childhood items seeing as they are auctioning off Moon's baby teeth? Really? Why doesn't she get to keep them seeing as they came out of her mouth? Questions, questions, questions.....Oh, John Sloatman lll said the reason he's suing Moon is due to what she said to her mother a week before she passed. Well, what is it? From the way he answered my question, I'm not sure he's joking. A sad situation made even more ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:38 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:40 am 

How much did Adelaide leave to her handler/brother? Not surprising that he'd resort to such antics once his cash cow left the planet.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:43 am 

Mr_Green_Genes wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Genetics??

For a nominal service charge, I can determine that for you, please PM me for details. Bitcoin accepted.

Why would he sue Bob? Makes no sense. Actually none of this makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:57 am 

Frank Zappa’s Guitars: A Curious Case Indeed Music

August 13, 2016

Frank Zappa’s Guitars: A Curious Case Indeed

Kaanii Powell Cleaver

Earlier this week, a West Hollywood auction house announced their intention to sell numerous possessions of the late Frank Zappa to the highest bidders. Since Julien’s Auctions’ press release leapt into the internet, many people have been speculating as to what, exactly, will be displayed and distributed to those with enough cash to score a slice of music history.

Will any Zappa guitars be up for auction?

All we know for certain from Julien’s official press release is that on Friday, November 4, the “auction house to the stars” will offer Frank and Gail Zappa’s “collection of exotic furnishings, fine antiques, salvaged architectural pieces, unique collectibles and whimsical items that appealed to their panache for colorful and non-conformist eye.” There is no mention of guitars being part of the auction, but their press release does boast a pink Thing-Fish ukulele.

Julien's Auctions announces Property From The Estate of Frank and Gail Zappa

https://t.co/388eTobIEu pic.twitter.com/Tbk5bdop2G

— ArtDaily (@artdaily) August 9, 2016

So, how many Zappa guitars are slated for the auction block?

As it turns out, (and this comes directly from cordial email correspondence with Darren Julien himself), “several” of Frank Zappa’s guitars will be sold as part of the Property from the Estate of Frank and Gail Zappa Auction in about 12 weeks. When asked if any of Dweezil’s guitars would be part of the auction, Mr. Julien assured me they would not.

This is where things get a bit sticky. How does this very reputable auctioneer unequivocally understand that none of the guitars up for grabs rightfully belong to Frank’s eldest son, Dweezil? Because the Zappa Family Trust said so? Despite what it says on paper, the ZFT does not represent the best interest of all the Zappa progeny. The late Gail Sloatman Zappa made bad deals, especially where her two oldest children were concerned. Since her demise in 2015, the two youngest Zappas have continued to enforce Gail’s vainglorious, self-serving regulations.

Right. But what about Frank’s guitars?

Dweezil Zappa appeared on episode 718 of the WTF with Marc Maron podcast in June. During the course of their conversation, Zappa and Maron touched on the topic of guitars. Maron, who is no slouch in the axe department himself, asked how many of Frank’s guitars remained at the Zappa family house. Dweezil’s explanation was a heartbreaker.

“Well, it’s hard to know, because some of them disappeared over the past few years. I know of two that used to be there that aren’t there now. There was a Stratocaster that had a gold Floyd Rose tremolo system on it, and it had the parametric EQ stuff that Frank was using for several years. That guitar went missing a couple of years ago.”

Dweezil went on to describe another of Frank’s guitars that vanished mysteriously.

“And also a Telecaster– that was a butterscotch colored one that he had custom made by Performance Guitars. I told Gail about those.”

“Someone’s got ’em,” said Maron.

Dweezil noted that when Frank passed away, each of the Zappa kids was given certain items. He said that he was given several of Frank’s guitars. Dweezil assumed the beloved instruments would remain safe and unmolested at his mother’s house. Dweezil underestimated Gail and the crazy lengths to which she would sometimes go.

“Four or five years later, Gail, my mom, decided the guitars were hers, because they were being stored at her house. She just said, ‘They’re mine.'”

Upon her own death last year, Gail Zappa bequeathed to her eldest son three guitars of her own choosing. How very philanthropic of her, willing back guitars -and maybe not even the same ones- that she stole from Dweezil in the first place. Dweezil explained that Gail’s largess came with an insane caveat: He could take possession of Frank’s guitars, but he could not have the cases that hold the same. WTF, indeed.

Ahmet Zappa upheld the strange no-cases rule denying Dweezil a safe way to transport and store Frank’s guitars. When Dweezil asked Ahmet to bend Gail’s rule and allow him to take the guitars in their proper guitar cases, he was told, “Nope. This is how Gail wants it.”

When Maron queried Dweezil about the current status of the guitars, all Dweezil could tell him was that they had been moved to another location, and that he never did receive the guitars Frank wanted him to have.

What can the Inquisitr add to this story? Plenty.

A source smack-dab in the middle of the brotherly brouhaha told me that prior to her death, Dweezil asked Gail for three specific guitars that had belonged to his late dad. Gail agreed to let him select three guitars and then reneged on the deal. This impeccable source also said that Ahmet decided to keep those three specific guitars for himself. Youngest sister, Diva Zappa, has also taken possession of one of Frank’s guitars.

The Zappa Family Trust offered to let Dweezil and his sister, Moon, select one guitar each from the leftovers. Of course, this “generous offer” comes with another insane Gail-flavored caveat: The value of the guitars will be deducted from Dweezil and Moon’s respective portions of ZFT revenue, if and when there ever is any. There’s more to this story, though. Dweezil has been denied access to choose any of Frank’s guitars in advance of the auction.

Will some of Frank Zappa's most iconic guitars find their way to the auction?

https://t.co/K1UgK2T00x

— Reverb (@reverbdotcom) August 10, 2016

How will the curious case of Frank Zappa’s guitars turn out? This remains to be seen. At the conclusion of Dweezil’s conversation on WTF with Marc Maron, he said the whole situation is “messed up” and not consistent with his father’s integrity. Maron told Dweezil that he hopes it doesn’t mess up his heart for the rest of his life. Dweezil offered these poignant parting words.

“None of this has to happen the way that it’s happening. At the end of the day, you know, it’s about music.”

Dweezil Zappa is his own man and an outstanding musician in his own right. There are times, however, that he evinces echoes of the very best parts of his paternal parentage. Here’s what Frank had to say about music.

“Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty.
Beauty is not love. Love is not music.
Music is the best.”

http://www.inquisitr.com/3404411/frank- ... se-indeed/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:26 pm 

Looks like they sold the house, 5.25 million.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:38 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Yeah. I'll invite you guys over once I get settled in.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:04 pm 

KUIII wrote:

Aha! Squatters Rights. Imagine an empty, roomy house decorated with a few folding chairs and sleeping bags. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:45 pm 

Milton Bradley wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Aha! Squatters Rights. Imagine an empty, roomy house decorated with a few folding chairs and sleeping bags. :wink:

...and a boom box, a bunch of Zappa CDs, a big ice chest full of brewskis, and some inner tubes for the pool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:25 pm 

You will of course be sharing with the g h o s t s of the previous owners

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:38 am 

don't know if this was posted already (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-frank-zappa-juliens-auction-memorabilia-20160808-snap-story.html):
Aug 9th 2016
Zappa Family Trust announces auction of Frank Zappa gear and memorabilia — and Dweezil and Moon aren't happy about it

Looking to purchase one of Frank Zappa’s business cards? A psychedelic concert poster from an early Mothers of Invention gig? Bruce Bickford-designed clay Zappa figures used in the film “Baby Snakes”? Vintage mixing boards, recording gear and guitars that Zappa harnessed to create one of his dozens of studio albums?

You’re in luck.

Julien’s Auctions has announced an extensive sale of items from the estate of the late Frank and Gail Zappa, and that property and more will likely make its way to the auction block.

Featuring memorabilia and gear that until recently was stored in the family’s longtime home and recording studio in Laurel Canyon, the auction will begin on Nov. 4. It will include hundreds of items notable to music and art collectors, gear-heads and those interested in the old, weird Los Angeles.

“One way to get into somebody's head is to look at what they surround themselves with,” said Darren Julien, founder of the Los Angeles-based Julien’s Auctions.

Asked to characterize the collection, Julien said, “I think the best way to describe it is ‘Zappa style.’ There's no way you can put into words what their decor was, because I've never seen anything like it, to be honest with you.”
Artwork and collectibles from Frank and Gail Zappa's collection
Artwork and collectibles from Frank and Gail Zappa's collection (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)

Julien estimates that, conservatively speaking, the auction will earn between $600,000 to $800,000.

The sale, however, has once again revealed fissures among Frank’s children. The items are being listed by the Zappa Family Trust, which is controlled by two of Frank and Gail’s four children, Ahmet and Diva Zappa, and comes less than a year after Gail’s death.

The two other children, Moon and Dweezil, oppose the sale. But as minority stakeholders in the trust, they are helpless to stop it.

“I do not agree with the auction,” Moon Zappa said during a conversation in the spring. “I don't want my childhood photos and my baby teeth and my Christmas ornaments and the furniture I grew up with sold to the public. That's weird.”

For his part, Dweezil insists that he is the rightful owner of some of Frank’s old guitars, and he fears those will end up in the sale.
Frank Zappa's conductor batons
Frank Zappa's conductor batons (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)

An itemized rundown of items in the auction has yet to be made public, and there’s no indication that Moon’s private heirlooms or the guitars in question are among the items listed for sale.

According to the press release that accompanied the auction announcement, the sale will feature quite the haul.

Among the booty listed: “exotic furnishings, fine antiques, salvaged architectural pieces, unique collectibles and whimsical items that appealed to their panache for colorful and non-conformist eye.”

See the most-read stories in Entertainment this hour >>

Also: “a Venetian gilt metal chandelier, an Italian Baroque console table, and a carved gilt wood bookcase. Contemporary fine art including a still life by John Alexander, a nail relief sculpture by Robert Harley, and a large painting by Ashley Laurence titled ‘Angel Pig’ (painting name given by Gail Zappa) are also included in the auction.”

Fashion? “A Dandies Fashions coat worn by Frank Zappa on the July 20, 1968 cover of Rolling Stone magazine; a purple ribbed turtleneck worn by Frank Zappa in ‘200 Motels’ (United Artists, 1971); a stage worn vest that Zappa also wore on the back cover of the 1972 album ‘Waka Jawaka’.”
The original sculpture used on the cover of "Burnt Weenie Sandwich."
The original sculpture used on the cover of "Burnt Weenie Sandwich." (Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times)

And: “a collection of career related awards presented to Frank Zappa including various Gold records, a National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences Lifetime Achievement Award, a GRAMMY nomination plaque; a clay Thing-Fish model; a ukulele featured on the Thing-Fish album cover; and a collection of hotel keys collected by Frank and Gail in their travels.”

Combined, it’s a stunning collection, said Julien, and captures the Zappa aesthetic through a “mixture of clothing and memorabilia and instruments and furnishings. Sometimes you can really capture the heart and soul of the musician with the things they surround themselves with.”

Julien, who has handled the sales of many celebrity estates, compares the Zappa sale with two in particular: Michael Jackson’s would-be auction of his Neverland collection (which Jackson ultimately canceled) and the auction of guitarist and technical wizard Les Paul’s gear.

“We were the ones that disassembled Neverland, and it was kind of the same way with this,” Julien said of the Zappa stuff and the way it was showcased at the house. “You hated to see it happen, but it had to happen, because there's no way that somebody could just keep it up.”

But, stressed Julien, “It's one of those things where it's only going to happen once ... It's very exciting to me, like the Les Paul estate auction was, because it's all the technical stuff. Whenever you have an auction like that, people come out of the woodwork to bid.”
Vintage audio recorder from the collection of Frank Zappa
Vintage audio recorder from the collection of Frank Zappa (Randall Roberts / Los Angeles Times)

Zappa’s fans in particular, said Julien, are “more of a sophisticated audience. It's not like the the pop audience. It's really hardcore guitar [collectors] – I think a lot of celebrity guitarists will be bidding on the sale.”

He also predicts the auction will “bring out the technical geeks who really want a piece of Frank Zappa.” Throughout his career, Zappa invested in state-of-the-art recording equipment. Taken as a whole, it offers a glimpse at both the evolution of technology and the ways in which Zappa’s unique modifications created singular sounds.

“There are a lot of things that he would spend a lot of money on, but then he'd take it a step further and have it professionally modified,” said Julien. “It would be unlike anything else anybody else has. Some of them were crude, but it made the sound or did what he wanted — and we kept it exactly as he built them.”

For details on how to bid, visit Julien’s Auctions.
NBC's 'The Voice on Snapchat'
Caption NBC's 'The Voice on Snapchat'
Laika CEO Travis Knight on 'Kubo and the Two Strings'
Caption Laika CEO Travis Knight on 'Kubo and the Two Strings'

There’s a lot of terrible music out there. For tips on the stuff that’s not, follow Randall Roberts on Twitter: @liledit

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:07 am 

It really breaks a fans heart to read this.

The deal. Ahmet wants to preserve his dads legacy and so does Dweezil. Seriously, Dweezil is the best by performing his dads music. Ahmet should assist with that instead of trying to drive him away and only promote the albums. It's a known fact that Frank Zappa loved hearing people playing his music. The fact that it's his own son and that he was the person(the rightful and actual owner), gave his guitars to his son is priceless. You can't put a price on these instruments they mean a lot to Dweezil and are just house sale filler for Armet. That should say something.

As a fan of the great composer Frank Zappa and of Dweezil Zappa and even Ahmet when he was with the band Z, if I ever get the chance to purchase a Frank Zappa guitar, I'll purchase it and give it straight to Dweezil as it's where the instrument belongs(I'll confess, I wouldn't be able to resist playing it and perhaps do some recordings) but ultimately I would ensure it goes back to Dweezil one way or the other.

It really breaks a fans heart. They all want to or proclaim to support the music of their father but there creating rifts while doing it. Dweezil is the only person actually playing Frank Zappa's music. For that he should be rewarded, not condemned and Ahmet is really sad for not seeing that Dweezil is in fact promoting this great music. Dweezil cares about the music. Ahmet seems to be caring about the album sales only at this point. Diva should go and watch her brother perform her fathers music, I think she would be seriously stunned at the serious depth and attention to detail he ensures with each performance.

To all of the surviving members of the Zappa Family, please note I have actually gone out and purchased the entire Frank Zappa final 2012 re-release and remaster collection(minus only the albums that I can't get, eg 200 Motels original soundtrack( but I do have some Vinyl of that) and Civilization Phase 3 which I obtained 2nd hand as it's the only way to currently obtain it). I can only hope that the 40% of profits that by the trusts silly setup goes to Moon and Dweezil.

As a fan, I just want the ZFT to know that you should all get together and declare and even 25% split each and all discuss and share in the works you all feel so passionately about. Set it right. Gail was obviously not altogether there proven by what she did with Dweezils rightful guitars(against Franks wishes). That doesn't mean she's a bad person fellow fans, I am over the moon at what she has done to preserve the Frank Zappa 2012 re-releases but as brothers and sisters what all fans want to hear is that you work this out and fix it amongst yourselves, not hold onto a silly notion that Gail muttered before her dying moments. Surely even she would have wanted you to all get along more than anything.

Finally as Frank Zappa himself declared: "Don't get into the dry cleaning business. Do your own thing." By this, I'm certain he meant the music will look after itself. Don't be consumed by it. Live well and enjoy it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:29 am 

Frank Zappa’s Laurel Canyon home and studio sell for $5.25 million
http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-frank-zappa-estate-sold-20160830-snap-story.html

The Hollywood Hills West estate where late the late experimental rock musician and composer Frank Zappa made his home for decades has sold for $5.25 million.

The estate, tucked away on half an acre in Laurel Canyon, was originally purchased by Zappa in the late 1960s for $74,000. Prior to the sale, it been owned by the musician’s family since his passing in 1993.

The whimsical 1930s Tudor, with its herringbone brickwork and half timbering, includes the recording studio and rehearsal space that Zappa had built during his ownership as well as “the vault” — a climate-controlled, multiroom space where he kept a secret collection of music and film recordings.
Other living spaces include a kitchen topped with cathedral ceilings, a formal dining room and a library. A refined living room has walls of windows that take in the grounds. A total of seven bedrooms and six bathrooms include a master suite with a fireplace, a glass-enclosed shower and a blue-hued soaking tub.

Outdoors, there’s a rooftop tennis court, a swimming pool and spa, various patios and an elaborate stone courtyard. Two guest cottages and an attached guest apartment also reside on the grounds.

The property came up for sale in June for $5.495 million and the sale was pending within about a month, records show.

Branden and Rayni Williams of Hilton & Hyland, an affiliate of Christie’s International Real Estate, were the listing agents. Jeeb O’Reilly of Compass represented the buyer.

The musician-songwriter-composer infused rock ‘n’ roll with elements of blues, jazz and classical music during his four-decade career. He was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995.

Zappa released more than 60 albums during his lifetime, with his estate releasing another 40 or more albums posthumously.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:32 pm 

"I agree to pay a buyers premium of 20% on lots over $200,000 and 25% on lots $0-$199,999, which will be added to the final hammer price for each lot. All lots won online will be charged an additional 3% buyer premium"

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:33 pm 

A buyer's premium will be added to the successful bid price and is payable by the purchaser as part of the total purchase price. I acknowledge and agree that a 25% Buyer’s Premium will be added to the hammer price on each individual lot with a hammer price of $0 to $200,000, on which I am the successful bidder. I further acknowledge and agree that for each individual lot sold for a hammer price above $200,000, on which I am the successful bidder, a Buyer's Premium of 25% will be added to the hammer price up to $200,000 and an additional Buyer's Premium of 20% will be added to any amount above $200,000. By way of example, on a lot with a hammer price of $225,000, a Buyer's Premium of 25% will be added to the hammer price up to $200,000, for an amount of $50,000, and a Buyer's Premium of 20% will be added to the remainder of the hammer price of $25,000, for an amount of $5,000. Thus, the total Buyer's Premium of $55,000 will be added to the hammer price of $225,000. In addition, there will be an additional 3% buyer's premium charged for any lots won online. There is a minimum buyer’s premium of $25 per lot. This is regardless of affiliation with any group or organization. I further acknowledge that I am responsible to pay Julien's Auctions the aggregate of the hammer price and the Buyer's Premium, plus sales tax if applicable, for such lot(s). All invoices must be paid within 10 calendar days after the close of the auction. I authorize Julien's Auctions to charge my credit card provided at registration for all items purchased at this auction, and any future Julien's Auctions I may participate in, if not paid in full within 10 calendar days after the close of the auction. In the event Julien’s Auctions has agreed in writing prior to the auction to provide payment terms or an extended period of time for payment to you, you acknowledge and agree that you shall have no right, title, or interest in and to any property purchased by you until all amounts owed by you are paid in full. If you fail to comply with the terms of the payment plan or extended payment period, upon your default, Julien’s Auctions shall have the unequivocal right, at its sole discretion, to sell some or all of the property on which you were the successful bidder, and to apply the proceeds toward the balance of any monies owed by you to Julien’s Auctions. If the monies received through the sale of the items do not meet your outstanding obligations, Julien’s Auctions shall have the right to pursue any and all remedies available under the law against you pursuant to the provisions set forth herein. If the monies received through the sale of the items exceed your outstanding obligations, the excess, minus any fees or costs incurred by Julien’s Auctions in connection with and arising out of the sale of the properties, shall be refunded to you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:21 am 

Here's a great photo that I hope can happen again. Please guys, fix the issues and get back to brotherly love.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HAPPY-HOUR-8 ... Sw65FXqOw4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:18 pm 

Lady Gaga Goes Gaga for Quirky Frank Zappa Compound (EXCLUSIVE)
http://variety.com/2016/dirt/news/lady-gaga-buys-frank-zappa-house-hollywood-1201865296/
The famously quirky Hollywood Hills compound of the late, great, and widely influential musician Frank Zappa sold for $5.25 million and, though the buyer’s identity is shielded behind an inscrutable trust, word on the celebrity real estate street is that the beneficiary is none other than modern-day music industry iconoclast Lady Gaga.

(This link was already posted by Silk Chariot but I feel it should be here as well considering the content)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:41 pm 

Damn.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:58 pm 

Disagree - she's a musician of sorts, and better at her genre than most. Oddball odd too.
In fact the more I think about it, who better?
TT

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next