Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:44 am 
Banned

Wow!! So fucking pissed about this. Dweezil is getting fucking railroaded and it totally sucks.

Here's where my conflicts are...
1 - I am huge DZ supporter and have known him for 25 years. He is a genuinely great guy.

2 - I am a huge all things Frank Zappa supporter and have donated to the Kickstarter but now after reading this shit I wish I hadn't. (<---- Is that bad?)

3 - I love my main man Joe Travers and I am sure he is stuck in a hard spot too. (Maybe this was a foreshadowing as to why he was no longer DZs drummer a couple of years ago?) I never pressed him on the issue.

What a shit ass situation that seems to have really gotten out of hand and maybe even a little ugly on the side. :(

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/30/busin ... suite&_r=0

For a decade, Dweezil Zappa, a son of the rock star Frank Zappa and a noted guitarist in his own right, has been paying tribute to his father’s music under the name Zappa Plays Zappa. The project, which features exacting performances of Frank Zappa’s famously complex music, has toured the world and won a Grammy.

But when Dweezil Zappa takes the project on the road this summer, it will be with a far less catchy name: Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa.

“It doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue,” he said in an interview, “but this is being done under duress.”

The name change is the most visible sign of a rift that has grown within one of the rock world’s most famous families since the death last year of Gail Zappa, the widow of Frank Zappa, who had managed her husband’s musical legacy with a firm hand since his death in 1993.

This month, the Zappa Family Trust, which owns the rights to Mr. Zappa’s music, informed Dweezil that he did not have permission to tour as Zappa Plays Zappa — the name is a trademark owned by the trust — and that he risked copyright infringement damages of $150,000 each time he played a song without proper permission.

“My last name is Zappa; my father was Frank Zappa,” Dweezil said. “But I am not allowed to use the name on its own. I’m not allowed to use a picture of him. I’m not allowed to use my own connection with him without some sort of deal to be struck.”

Business disputes are familiar territory among celebrity siblings, and members of groups like the Doors and Creedence Clearwater Revival have also fought over the use of a valuable band name. As the 1960s rock generation ages, these types of disputes may become more common, music lawyers say.

After Gail Zappa’s death, control of the trust passed to two of the four Zappa children: Ahmet, a son, who controls the day-to-day operations of the business, and Diva, a daughter. Dweezil and his sister Moon are not trustees, but all four children are beneficiaries, and tensions have flared between the two sides over the Zappa Plays Zappa tours and a recent Kickstarter campaign for a documentary film.

Dweezil and Ahmet, who were once so close that they recorded two albums together and made regular appearances on late-night TV, now seem to communicate primarily through lawyers, with disputes over trademarks and music licensing.

In addition to changing the name of his tribute project, Dweezil Zappa said that he would not carry any of the trust’s official merchandise or use any images of his father — whose likeness is also controlled by the trust — in promoting the tour. He will, however, play the same songs from his father’s catalog that he always has.

In an interview, Ahmet Zappa said he was not feuding with his brother but rather maintaining the integrity of the estate and preserving Zappa Plays Zappa as a family enterprise, available to any of the four children.

“I am not standing in the way of Dweezil playing the music,” Ahmet said. “He would just have to be in accordance with the family trust.”

Dweezil Zappa said that changing the name of his tour would “emancipate” him from dealing with the family trust. His complaints in some ways resemble those of a disgruntled artist warring with a record company: lack of communication, inexplicable delays, disagreements over payments from merchandise sales. The dispute also spills over into the division of estate property, like a set of guitars that Dweezil said were given to him by his father but, he says, were “repossessed” by his mother.

But the most contentious part of the dispute is over the minutiae of music licensing, an area in which the Zappa estate has long taken controversial stances. The family trust argues that for a show consisting largely of Frank Zappa’s music, performers cannot rely on the standard performing-rights licenses that music venues typically get from agencies like Ascap or BMI, but instead need special permission from the estate for “grand rights,” a term that usually applies to theatrical presentations.

Gail Zappa and Ascap pursued a number of bands under this theory, with mixed success. Project/Object, a well-known Zappa tribute group, had some of its shows canceled by clubs that had received legal letters, but André Cholmondeley, a member of the band, said that the group was advised by a lawyer that it did not need a special license, and so has never gotten one. “We simply adhered to U.S.A. law,” Mr. Cholmondeley said in an email.

What makes a piece of music dramatic is not clearly stated in copyright law, but Conrad M. Rippy, a lawyer who has worked in both theater and music, said that it generally needed to meet several criteria.

“Is it performed in a place where you generally would perform a theatrical work? Are people wearing costumes? Does it advance a narrative story line?” Mr. Rippy said. “The closer you get to answer those questions ‘Yes,’ the more it looks like that’s a grand right. A tribute band playing a Frank Zappa song in a club meets none of those tests.”

Dweezil Zappa said that while his mother charged him an “exorbitant fee” to use the name Zappa Plays Zappa, he has never paid for a grand rights license.

For the Zappas, the dispute seems to have divided a once-tight-knit family, whose children were very much a part of their father’s musical career. Moon, the eldest child, sang as a teenager on Frank Zappa’s only Top 40 single, “Valley Girl,” in 1982.

Ahmet said he was perplexed by the claims by his brother, whom he praised as a supremely talented guitarist and “the funniest dude.” He added: “Maybe he’s grieving. For all of us it’s been superemotional.” (Dweezil’s answer: “There is obvious deceit in my brother’s response. His actions speak louder than words.”)

The Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa tour will begin in July, with what Dweezil said would be a crew of “highly skilled musicians” performing his father’s music faithfully.

Dweezil said he was eager to be free of the demands of the estate, but he was concerned that the name change might confuse fans or erode the good will he has built up with his audience over a decade of Zappa Plays Zappa shows.

“I just hope people will understand,” he said, “that the only thing I’m changing is the name.”

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:55 am 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:55 am 

"In an interview, Ahmet Zappa said he was not feuding with his brother but rather maintaining the integrity of the estate and preserving Zappa Plays Zappa as a family enterprise, available to any of the four children."
Ha - I wanna see Diva play black page.
TT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:00 am 

This whole thing fuckin' blows. Get in a room together, remember who you are and figure it out.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:04 am 

lapsed maps wrote:

Damn! You beat me to it.

All that's left is chicken.

jaypfunk wrote:
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:07 am 

deuce wrote:
"In an interview, Ahmet Zappa said he was not feuding with his brother but rather maintaining the integrity of the estate and preserving Zappa Plays Zappa as a family enterprise, available to any of the four children."
Ha - I wanna see Diva play black page.
TT

She is inspired by all that is around her, so The Black Page must be somewhere in her crocheting:

100% inspired by all that is around me. The feeling of the wind kissing the back of my calves, that little ray of sunlight that peeks out of the clouds and says hello and warms my heart, the feeling of the dewy earth under my feet as I stand grounded and still.

http://www.divazappa.com/my-story/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:07 am 

This saddens me.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:20 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:

Dare I read it? :|
TT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:23 am 

You make it sound like Bustle & Charm (shown below) isn't worth $14,000!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:27 am 
Banned

No one wants her stupid fucking hats.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:47 pm 
Banned

Bump because Jimmy D Faggot ruined it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:56 pm 

Just......I don't know. A mess? I think if I was Dweezil I would say fuck that shit. Paying to play your own father's music? I guess they don't make much in sales of recordings or video. But that doesn't sound right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:25 pm 

MUP.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:47 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
MUP.

I understand and pretty much agree, but still.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:03 pm 

^^ I hear ya.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:06 pm 

This is very shocking to read.

This probably won't affect the music or song selection...for now. But I have this gut feeling that if they don't work this out soon, the ZFT (Ahmet & Diva, even though it should be ALL four of them) will set the financial bar even higher whenever Dweezil Zappa Plays Frank Zappa tours in the future. And I can only imagine what the tour shirts and the rest of the merch will look like later this year. Ugh...

I guess this truly does show that the Zappa family is just like any other family - you get along with some siblings and relatives, while you can't stand others... :|

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:28 am 

Not shocking at all, just a bummer.

Now I know what Moon truly meant when she wrote, to paraphrase: "Celebrating Gail at her worst instead of FZ at his best."

It wasn't just the kickstarter, it was the whole tamale.

Ahmet = Gail (potentially worse!). And so he rules supreme.

Glad I stuck with my gut and rejected the whole vault/doc thing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:06 am 

Fuck this shit...

It seemed like such a tight-knit family, but i guess they're the same like everybody else.
This goes to show that it might not be the best idea to leave your legacy in the hands of family.

The Hendrix family have been going at it for years and also the relatives of Prince, who seems to have had no known will, are gearing up for a nice legal battle.
I remember Frank telling Gail to quit the business and sell everything after he died.
She did not and sometimes it seemed as if she did everything in her power to actually stop the name and legacy of her late husband spreading around the world.

However sad her death might be, i had great confidence in Ahmet gaining control of the business.
Especially with that whole Kickstarter-thing.
That confidence already seems to be stomped into the ground by reading about this feud.

It's sad that the one guy that seemed to truly keep his father's legacy alive by touring the world every year, seems to get a hose job on this one.
Good luck to Dweezil and i really hope him and Ahmet can work this out, because this is a discgrace to their father's legacy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:17 am 

AbnucealEmukaah83 wrote:
...sometimes it seemed as if she did everything in her power to actually stop the name and legacy of her late husband spreading around the world.

What she was doing was taking the steps to ensure total control/ownership out of every aspect of FZ (and failing countless times but never giving up, surely at huge legal expense to the ZFT). That this would squelch his popularity/exposure was just fall out from the belief system/vision. She didn't care. She (now sadly Ahmet) put all their chips into this Grand Rights stuff. They are trying to set legal precedent. Until something falls their way.

WHY? For the grandkids sake? So Frank ends up on a 30 dollar bill? I don't know!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:36 am 

Paul Carr has written about these things before...
https://paulcarr.org/2008/11/22/who-owns-what-in-music-copyrighta-zappa-case-study/

At that time the only victims seemed to be cover bands and Zappanale.
Too bad the fight has now begun inside the family itself.
https://paulcarr.org/2016/04/29/frank-zappa-and-grand-rights-again/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:31 am 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Fair enough but, risking to sound nitpicking, as we all know, Don Preston has not played on Freak Out!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:12 am 

it's all about the money. Not even the Zappa's are immune.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:22 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

How did jimmie ruin it dumbass? You originally posted that shit on someone else's thread. They probably felt the same way you do. Goddamn, you're such a fucking hypocrite. :roll:

brainpang wrote:

Now I know what Moon truly meant when she wrote, to paraphrase: "Celebrating Gail at her worst instead of FZ at his best."

Well said man. Glad I avoided the kickstarter too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:41 am 
Banned

Philostopher wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

How did jimmie ruin it dumbass? You originally posted that shit on someone else's thread. They probably felt the same way you do. Goddamn, you're such a fucking hypocrite. :roll:

brainpang wrote:

Well said man. Glad I avoided the kickstarter too.

Piss off, methmouth.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:57 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
… have donated to the Kickstarter but now after reading this shit I wish I hadn't.

Next time: Think first, then donate.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next