Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:12 pm 

deuce wrote:
Disagree - she's a musician of sorts, and better at her genre than most. Oddball odd too.
In fact the more I think about it, who better?
TT

I like that Gaga got it. It will keep the fact that it used to be Frank's place in the conversation.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:26 pm 

She's just minding it for me until I get the cash together.....

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:51 am 

Gray_Ghost wrote:

Ah, when she's great-grandLady Gaga.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:16 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

I hate to say it, but we'll all probably be gray ghosts by then. :| :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:07 am 

deuce wrote:
Disagree - she's a musician of sorts, and better at her genre than most. Oddball odd too.
TT

Me perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:03 pm 

deuce wrote:
TT

In fact, I've never heard any single note from Gaga. I guess I was profiling her :P

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:05 pm 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Exact! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:24 pm 

Looks like she went almost a month wearing her "P o k e r Face". :mrgreen:

Faith No More - P o k e r Face
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBE3CTcNa8I

You didn't think I would subject you to her version. Did you? :wink:

Why would the word *SPAM* come out as SPAM?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:31 pm 

I've heard/read more about Lady Gaga's style of dress than her music, I don't listen to pop radio so I can't say I have knowingly heard her music.....

I do like her taste in real estate.....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:47 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

Maybe some of us could rent rooms from her. Then she'd be Landlady Gaga.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:18 am 

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Dweezil Zappa marks the 50th anniversary of his father's debut while feuding with his brother

Sept. 23, 2016 Updated 4:18 p.m.

For a decade, musician Dweezil Zappa toured steadily under the banner of Zappa Plays Zappa, the son playing the songs of his father so that the creatively eclectic music of the late Frank Zappa might live on.

Now, though, as Zappa kicks off his fall schedule with a pair of Southern California shows this week, the tour carries a new and sharply pointed name – take a deep breath before you try this – 50 Years of Frank: Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever the (Bleep) He Wants – The Cease and Desist Tour.

Is there a story behind that? Why yes, yes there is, one involving family and money, legacy and pride.

We’ll get to that unhappy family feud in a moment, but first let’s also note that this year offers plenty of reasons to shine the spotlight on Frank Zappa again. A new documentary, “Eat That Question: Frank Zappa in His Own Words” debuted to strong reviews. A series of album reissues is underway.

And then it’s also the 50th anniversary of “Freak Out!” the recording debut album of Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, and the double album that provides a good part of Dweezil Zappa’s set list this year.

“We’re not playing the whole record,” Dweezil Zappa says, happy for the moment to talk songs and musicians before the inevitable shift to lawyers and dirty laundry. “But some deep cuts and some stuff that Frank didn’t play live, at least not like on the record.”

Frank Zappa, who died in 1993, was often ahead of the curve in the studio and onstage. Sometimes that came through in his lyrics: The Watts Riots-inspired number “Trouble Every Day” is still as relevant in its commentary on racism, media and politics and social injustice as it was when “Freak Out!” arrived at the end of June 1966.

Other times it’s reflected in the sonics he managed to coax out of the analog instruments and gear of the mid-’60s.

“Frank was using the studio as an instrument,” Dweezil Zappa says. “So trying to capture the spirit and energy of that is one of the things that is a challenge in terms of trying to re-create and perform.”

“It Can’t Happen Here,” for instance: “There’s a ridiculous and hilarious thing on the record that’s all vocal overdubs,” he says of that track. “I’m sure when that came out, people were like, ‘What the heck is this?!’”

Frank Zappa never tried to play that song live as it is on “Freak Out!” but Dweezil Zappa says he and the band do their best to capture the lunacy of the studio concoction – and concertgoers are still stunned when they hear it.

“If they haven’t heard it before they kind of look at you like, ‘What the hell are you doing?’” he says. “There’s other things on the record that have that same kind of experience.

“If you put it in the perspective of other music that was coming out in 1966, this must have terrified parents when their kids brought it home,” Dweezil Zappa says. “It’s kind of like bringing home a wild animal and saying, ‘Can I keep it?’ That’s kind of the spirit of the record.”

A few years after the death of his father, Dweezil Zappa, now 47, took on the role of keeping his music alive. Outside of a few novelty numbers such as “Valley Girl,” a duet with daughter Moon Unit Zappa, and “Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow,” Frank Zappa never got much mainstream radio airplay, so his son worried that many people didn’t really know the richness and breadth of his work.

“The impetus for me to play his music was to re-educate the fans,” Dweezil Zappa says. “Not the fans who already knew, but fans who if you said the name Frank Zappa would say, ‘Who?’ They might know the wacky songs or that his kids had funny names, but that’s about all.”

This year, unfortunately, the casual fans might also know the Zappa name for the public battling between Dweezil and his brother, Ahmet Zappa, over control of their father’s legacy. When their mother, Gail Zappa, died a year ago, she left the Zappa Family Trust that she had managed for more than two decades in the control of Diva and Ahmet, the two youngest Zappa kids, with Dweezil and Moon holding minority positions.

Gail Zappa had trademarked the name Zappa Plays Zappa as well as Frank Zappa’s image, and while the trust was supposed to get a portion of the money from merchandise sales on the Zappa Plays Zappa tours, Dweezil Zappa says she had not paid him any of his share for years.

This spring Ahmet Zappa and the trust told Dweezil Zappa he’d have to pay a fee to continue using the name, sparking a battle of open letters and blog posts that dragged the whole mess into the open.

“Now the trust owns that name and they’re saying, ‘Well, we own that name, you can’t play under that name unless you let us keep all the merch money, and you only have to pay a dollar (to license the music),’ but that’s not really a good deal,” Dweezil Zappa says.

“They’re not recognizing the fact that I’ve already been doing this for 10 years,” he says. “I offered to sell Zappa Plays Zappa merch on tour and split it 50-50 and they said, ‘Nope, we want it all.’”

Thus the long, attention-getting name of the new tour was born, Dweezil Zappa says.

“It’s the equivalent of making lemonade out of the lemons being thrown at me.”

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/zapp ... frank.html

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:24 am 

Someone has to say something, and I don't give a shit if anybody is offended.

You really should update your browser, GG.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:41 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

I know cal, but I'm happy with the experience that I'm experiencing, and I'm reluctant to do as I'm told by google.....I'm such a rebel :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:50 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I know cal, but I'm happy with the experience that I'm experiencing, and I'm reluctant to do as I'm told by google.....I'm such a rebel :D

Okay, confession, I haven't yet either. Viva La Resistance!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:00 am 

Hear Lady Gaga on Buying Frank Zappa's House, Super Bowl, 'Pussy Glue'

Lady Gaga gushed about purchasing Frank Zappa's old house, detailed the inspiration of new LP Joanne, revealed how she landed her Super Bowl Halftime Show gig and explained why she uses "pussy glue" in a revealing interview Monday on The Howard Stern Show.

In September, Gaga purchased Zappa's former Hollywood Hills home, which features two recording studios – including one which the experimental rock composer dubbed "Utility Muffin Research Kitchen." "The house is very special and magical," Gaga said. "His studio is in it, and I get to keep the [sound] board! You should have seen me while I was looking at the house. The realtors would be like, 'No pictures!' and I'm in there, photographing the compressors ... The idea is to restore it and to help it to be in its best condition, but to kind of leave it the way that it is and hear the sound that comes out."
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-lady-gaga-on-buying-frank-zappas-house-pussy-glue-w446478

also

Lady Gaga Bought Frank Zappa’s House To “Restore” It And To Record New Music

Posted by Gideon Plotnicki on Tuesday October 25th, 2016

Recently, Lady Gaga sat down with Howard Stern to discuss, among other topics, her recent purchase of Frank Zappa‘s mansion in the Hollywood Hills. Fans of the legendary guitarist/composer/genius were concerned that Lady Gaga might tarnish the many historical elements of Zappa’s home, namely the famous recording studio dubbed the “Utility Muffin Research Kitchen”, where Zappa recorded several of his most accomplished and revered. However, fans can breathe easy, as Gaga discusses her desire to restore the studio without replacing the original elements that make it so unique.

In the interview, Gaga claims that: “[t]he house is very special and magical. His studio is in it, and I get to keep the [sound] board! You should have seen me while I was looking at the house. The realtors would be like, ‘No pictures!’ and I’m in there, photographing the compressors…it’s mystical to me that the music he made travelled through this board…the idea is to restore it and help it to be in its best condition and kind of leave it the way that it is and hear the sound that comes out. There’s two studios, the whole basement is recording studios, and it’s absolutely stunning and beautiful and amazing and it sounds incredible… I’ll use it for both [recording and living], you know I have a lot of friends that make music like Mark Ronson, Josh Homme.”
Sounds like the “Utility Muffin Research Kitchen” studio is in good hands with Lady Gaga!
http://liveforlivemusic.com/news/lady-gaga-brought-frank-zappa-house-restore-it-make-new-music/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:18 pm 

New interview w/DZ.

Dweezil Zappa Talks About The Family Feud And Why He'll Play 'Whatever The F@%K He Wants'

Dweezil's current project is called the "50 Years of Frank: Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever the F@%K He Wants — The Cease and Desist Tour" — a move necessitated by a very public dispute with brother Ahmet and sister Diva, who gained control of the Zappa Family Trust (and the name "Zappa Plays Zappa") after their mother, Gail, passed away in 2015.

Dweezil spoke to The Courant about the conflict and what it has meant for Frank Zappa's musical legacy.

Q: Are you disappointed that Zappa family issues had to play out in public?

A: That could have all been avoided, but that wasn't up to me. That's exactly what they intended to do. They have tried to strong-arm a situation that they should have looked at more carefully. They're also trying to use smoke and mirrors on the public to try to tell them things are different than they are. My brother's [Ahmet] open letter to me is disingenuous and phony. If you read my response, it really does point out the Swiss cheese that he has tried to perpetrate.

Q: I sense there has not been any reconciliation since your response.

A: They've taken it further now to try to get a federal trademark for the surname "Zappa," so that they can stop me and my sister Moon from professionally using the name "Zappa" for anything. They don't want me to use it for personal appearances, public appearances, touring, anything professional, under the guise that it would confuse the public that, really, the "Zappa" is "Frank Zappa." Meanwhile, they're trying to use it so that they can brand the name for products that have nothing to do with my father, such as beer and wine and yoga pants.

Q: Is there satisfaction in knowing, among your siblings, that you're the only person capable of playing your father's music at a professional level?

A: That's something that has been known to everyone for decades. It's not something I did so that I could have satisfaction. I do this as a labor of love. I'm proud of my father's accomplishments, and I wanted his music to carry forward. It seems obvious to me that if there was an opportunity to present the music to future generations that didn't get to see Frank, it would be worth making the effort. He's not going to be on the radio. He's not going to be supported by media and the press. The only way it can move forward is through a grassroots operation to present the music to people.

I took quite a bit of time to learn how to play the music and to put a band together, and I went out on the road. I've been doing it for 11 years. That's the only thing that has been out there to move the music forward. The Zappa Family Trust, while run by my mother — she put a few records out, but what else did she do? There was no campaign to get his music anywhere further. She tried mostly to stop things from happening, even trying to stop me from what I was doing, and then Ahmet and Diva continued. It's more about the prevention of Frank's music instead of the preservation and attempts to grow the music. It's pretty obvious what's been going on for a long time.

Q: How does the conflict play out for you on a show-to-show basis?

A: They had ideas that they could control it, but they lost the plot. The first issue was that they claimed they controlled the name "Zappa Plays Zappa," which Gail trademarked a year and a half after I already had started touring. She claimed ownership of the name. In that trademark that she got, there is some squirrelly language, made to create the distinction between the two uses of "Zappa." One would be the obvious reference to Frank Zappa, and the other would be any member of the Zappa family who wished to go on tour to promote Frank Zappa's music — in other words, creating the idea that it's not me, it's not Dweezil Zappa, that I'm not the other Zappa. It's anyone in the family, because at any time, if Ahmet or Diva or Moon wanted to go on tour and call themselves "Zappa Plays Zappa," they could do it. But none of them have ever shown any interest or ability to do so.

Ahmet and Diva claimed that I couldn't use the name. They tried to say I would have to pay $150,000 for every song that I played if I was out promoting the music or touring under the name "Zappa Plays Zappa," and none of that is real. There's no basis for making a claim like that, but that's how outrageous they and their legal team tried to take it. There are so many things that are absolutely bogus about what they're doing.

When I changed the name to "Dweezil Zappa Plays the Music of Frank Zappa," they sent another cease-and-desist letter saying I couldn't use the name "Frank Zappa." It's another meritless claim. If you're a garage and you fix Volkswagens, you can say you fix Volkswagens. You're just stating what you're doing. I have the same ability to state that I'm playing Frank Zappa's music. Rather than keep going on a day-to-day basis, I'll just go under the name Dweezil Zappa. What they're trying to do now is remove the name "Zappa."

Q: It's your last name.

A: Not only that, I was born before them. I guarantee you they're not going to enforce it on themselves. Ahmet's not going to not be "Ahmet Zappa" when he tries to get some sort of movie producer credit on something. They're infantile in their ideas of what our father's legacy is, and they have no ability to do what I do, and they're pissed that they can't control that.

Q: So, on tour, you're at least able to play whatever you want, as the tour is called. You don't have to worry about it.

A: Nope. But here's the thing: There are dozens, if not hundreds or thousands of bands that go and play nothing but Frank's music. They don't get cease-and-desist letters. They don't get any issue from the trust. The one person who's related, because they want to try to make money from it, is the one they want to try to block.

Q: My perception was that, when your mother was alive, the trust was fairly rigid about who was allowed to play Frank's music.

A: She tried to create a scenario where Frank's music was protected more so than anybody else's music, because she imagined that she could bend the legal use of what's called "grand rights." She wanted to make everything about Frank's music fall under that term, because she claimed it was all part of one ... Frank had done interviews saying he viewed his music as part of one big project. "Project/Object" is what he called it. He said everything was interconnected. Because of that, she tried to say it's all one grand work, one thing, and that it requires a license to play his music. Grand rights doesn't work that way on paper. It started with Andrew Lloyd Webber: If you wanted to play all of the songs from "Jesus Christ Superstar," you could do it. The moment you have a costume onstage and a camel and a palm tree in the background, you now have a visual element that says, "We're doing the show, 'Jesus Christ Superstar'." Now you need to pay grand rights.

We don't impersonate Frank. We don't wear costumes. None of that works. The same goes for any other band that plays Frank's music. She tried and failed on numerous occasions to go after people, but it can all be laughed off. The only person making money off it is the lawyer.

Q: Do you have any of Frank's scores or manuscripts?

A: No, that stuff is being dealt with by the trust. Who knows when they'll be selling that off. They've done so many other things. I was given all of my dad's guitars, and they were repossessed by my mother, simply because they were being stored at the studio, which is the house I grew up in where she lived. She just randomly claimed they were hers again. She ended up agreeing to give three of them back to me, three of them of my choosing, but the ones I chose Ahmet decided to keep for himself. He agreed to give three others to me and then to put the others up for auction, to sell to the public. So much of [the online auction inventory] is misrepresented, saying it's Frank's, and a ton of it is stuff that Frank never saw. He had nothing to do with it. It's well past his tenure. Everything they're doing is a systematic dismantling of our father's life for profit, without any regard for anything. They've put their things in there as well, their own paintings, Diva's knitwear. I don't understand the thought process behind any of that stuff. It's so weird.

By Michael Hamad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:03 pm 

cory1984 wrote:
Hear Lady Gaga on Buying Frank Zappa's House, Super Bowl, 'Pussy Glue'

Lady Gaga ,an ingenue
Fills her pussy with glue
She says with a grin
"If they pay to get in
They'll pay to get out of it too"

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:30 pm 

December 15, 2016

Dweezil Zappa: Last Name Copyright Struggle Continues

The following article is entirely the opinion of Kaanii Powell Cleaver and does not reflect the views of the Inquisitr.

Zappa. Anyone with ears knows the name, right? What about the rights to the name? Dweezil has been a Zappa since the day he landed on the planet, and he’s worked under the moniker Dweezil Zappa since 1982. So why in the world are his younger siblings, Ahmet and Diva, hellbent on copyrighting the Zappa name?

When a firstborn son has to fight in court to use his own last name, something is very wrong

Just a few hours ago, Dweezil announced a public campaign to save his right to use the Zappa last name. Hosted by Pledge Music, The Others of Intention campaign is offering original music downloads along with a splendid selection of merch to fund Dweezil’s quest to retain the legal right to use the Zappa last name. Donors are invited to participate in the 90-day pledge campaign by purchasing items ranging from a digital access pass to Zappa-inscribed guitar picks to limited edition Zappa artwork and vinyl record albums.

Additionally, The Others of Intention campaign offers a select assortment of one-of-a-kind Zappa guitars for sale. At the time of this writing, Dweezil’s famous chartreuse green axe is sold, but interested donors can still pick up the pickups, Floyd Rose tremolo, and every other part of the rare silver sparkle Stratocaster that Dweezil toured with in the early ’90s. Custom built by Fender master luthier J.W. Black to Dweezil’s own specifications, the 8-pound thin-line Strat is slated to add $12,500 to Frank Zappa’s eldest son’s legal coffers.

My last name, Zappa, is in jeopardy. Learn how you can become one of the Others of Intention ????https://t.co/HTBu1cEHuP

— Dweezil Zappa (@DweezilZappa) December 15, 2016

Last May, Dweezil published a blog titled “It Can Happen Here” at his website. The open letter to Zappa fans described an upcoming tour and strongly alluded to a pending legal battle to save his right to the surname Zappa.

“Beyond that, there have been a few other changes. Mainly name changes. As you may or may not know I now tour under my own name, Dweezil Zappa, instead of Zappa Plays Zappa because my brother Ahmet and my sister Diva who run the Zappa Family Trust (ZFT) claimed ownership of the name Zappa Plays Zappa which my mother trademarked in 2007. The heavily tweezed language appropriating that trademark was designed by my mother to distinguish between the 2 uses of Zappa. One indicating Frank Zappa and the other indicating any other Zappa ‘family member’ who wishes to use the name to publicly tour and play the music. This of course is silly considering no other family member is capable of playing Frank Zappa’s music nor have they shown any intent to go out and do so in the past 11 years. Curiously, the one that is capable and has been devoted to doing so for the past 11 years, is no longer allowed to use that name because of a cease and desist order fired off by the ZFT legal department.

“There are more layers that continue to unfold around the conflict within the family. The ZFT has recently set their sites on trademarking the surname Zappa which will create a host of other issues that I will have to oppose.”

Please help @DweezilZappa keep the legal right to use his last name #zappa https://t.co/yuTBgega6E pic.twitter.com/B74O0bBP0P

— D'Addario (@DaddarioandCo) December 15, 2016

Copyright is one thing; messing with a man’s right to perform under own surname is just mean

Although Ahmet Zappa and his attorney, Dax Fausto Alvarez, could stop the late Gail Zappa’s tyranny over her children, they seem to be moving full steam ahead into a copyright war with Dweezil. Perhaps Frank saw it coming when he said,

“People make a lot of fuss about my kids having such supposedly strange names. But the fact is that no matter what first names I might have given them, it is the last name that is going to get them in trouble.”

Dweezil Zappa @DweezilZappa joins my Grand Architects Album as guest soloist! Pledge Now: https://t.co/BD60pSxvXg #guitar #zappa pic.twitter.com/sFVGBTVTph

http://www.inquisitr.com/3800382/dweezi ... continues/

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

This is a telling line: "The following article is entirely the opinion of Kaanii Powell Cleaver and does not reflect the views of the Inquisitr."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:23 am 

Open Letter To Moon, Dweezil, Ahmet and Diva Zappa

I won't go out to see ZPZ/DZPWTFHW, as much as I want to see techie Peter Jones and former member Unica again (I still need to say hi to him from Kirk :( ) until this entire matter is resolved. It's completely sick. I want to know the money I spend at concerts will go into new releases and the well-being of Zappa's kin who are all the rightful heirs. Not to more lawyers.

I won't buy any new FZ releases for the same reason. It's all I can do. Get your shit together the lot of you before I'll think of supporting you again.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:29 am 

I have been reading all this stuff on the internet for months now and it all looks quite idiot to me. It seems that in the US you can go to court for almost every shitty reason. They are only in it for the money as I see it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:26 am 

Zappa vs Zappa: Family Legal Struggles Threaten Father's Musical Legacy

The children of the late, great Frank Zappa have come to legal blows over their father's legacy. Diva and Ahmet Zappa, who run the Zappa estate, have filed a lawsuit against their brother Dweezil, alleging that he's spreading lies that cast their father in a negative light.In legal documents obtained by TMZ, Diva and Ahmet Zappa request that the court allow them to start a website to counter brother Dweezil's claim that they are trying to destroy his career by blocking him from performing his father Frank Zappa's work.

The court filing is the latest in an ongoing dispute that erupted last year when Ahmet and Diva filed suit against Dweezil, alleging that his tour Zappa Plays Zappa infringed on copyrighted works. Dweezil later renamed his tour as the Dweezil Zappa Plays Whatever the F--- he wants: Cease and Desist Tour 2016.

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2017/03/zappa-vs-zappa-family-legal-struggles-threaten-fathers-musical-legacy-.html
http://www.tmz.com/2017/03/13/frank-zappa-dweezil-ahmet-diva-estate-feud/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:29 am 

For fuck's sake. I don't think anybody here is going to take sides in whatever this is about. In my opinion it just seems so childish.

Please just get together and work it out. I know, won't happen, but it would be so much better if everybody were working together.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:12 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
For fuck's sake. I don't think anybody here is going to take sides in whatever this is about. In my opinion it just seems so childish.

Please just get together and work it out. I know, won't happen, but it would be so much better if everybody were working together.

I agree. Taking sides on this issue is just a dumb hobby. I'm sure none of us know the complete story. As I've said before, if the ZFT releases a product I want I'll buy it and if Dweezil has a concert I want to see I'll go to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14