Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:05 pm 

No progress. I need to find some inspiration. :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:03 pm 

What do you have behind your back there KUv3.0?

is that, is that a double packet of Oreos! you know those things WILL KILL YOU!

to much? :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:22 am 

I was back to Canada last week and had to go grocery shopping to load up my son's fridge. I was truly amazed at the quantity of shit products on the shelves. And the prices for fresh vegetables were appalling. I saw individually wrapped zuchinni at over a dollar for fucksakes!....And what's with this "Pulled Pork" shit??

Too much sugar and fat in everything. Even the bread ! When I came to France, I lost 8 kg within two months just by eating normally.

I've recently got back to Archery competition and will be taking surfing lessons next month. When i'm at my place in Ardèche, we hike at least every other day. I live in Bordeaux, so the red wine is a stapple. However, my wine consumption is the only sugar I get in my diet! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:28 am 

That's it! I'll move to France. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:12 pm 

Location: Behind a ultra-avant laminated, simulated replica-mahogany desk
Let's all move to France!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:16 pm 

Is it really true about how they make you go caca?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:52 pm 

I don't think it's the rule, but the girls are all sweet...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:38 pm 

boys are all salty, and they piss in the street?

I think we got the boys and girls mixed up there but wtf.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:31 am 

I have had the mystery blow job once! My feet remained skin colour.(she was so fine).
I have pissed in the street (sort of)(see below).
I have stood up to go caca. (they are called wc turc, as in from Turkey).You have to be quick not to get your shoes wet during the flush.
I had coffee that ate through the "plastic" cup (in a Holiday Inn in Lyon, it was vile).

The food is much much more than not to shabby.

In France

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:47 am 

If Zappa ever visited Brazil he would write a rock-opera...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:21 pm 

100 push-ups today.
Not all at once, but just 10 sets of 10. Don't think I'll will continue this throughout the week since it made me really hungry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:31 pm 

^^Good effort! I don't think I could even do 10 push-ups.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:28 pm 

KUIII wrote:
^^Good effort! I don't think I could even do 10 push-ups.

Try the all new NFL regulation push ups.....from the knees..... :lol: I hear there very fashionable in the US of A right now :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:45 pm 

It's a favorite topic of mine, I'm still a work in progress... I compile my info from some of the state of the art researchers, even a 2009 Nobel prize in medicine winner Elizabeth Blackburn. My doctor gave me a book by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn, 30 yr President of Staff at the top heart research Cleveland Clinic which I loosely followed and my cholesterol dropped to 152, (because of my chips addiction my ldl is still 111 which is too high, I want it at 70). Another hero is compiler of The China Study Dr. Colin Campbell, (who is now friends with Esselstyn)... and my favorite "State of the Arter" is Dr. Michael Greger whose book "How Not to Die" compiled and distills data showing how the top 15 killers in the US are all self imposed, avoidable and mostly reversable, (yes, even multiple bypass heart disease people can reverse their heart disease with diet.

Here's a youtube with Greger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rNY7xKyGCQ

And to comment on some things in this thread...

There are some good videos on Netflix about this as they don't take sponsorship from the prepackaged foods, meat and dairy industry; they are not subject to the severe filtering of info on regular TV that won't show this stuff because they get a lot of ad money from processed food, meat, and dairy industries.

Inflammation, the increase in circulation and white blood cell count due to an injury, or due to pathogens, (virus, bacteria, and non-existent but perceived threats). Inflammation is good when you stab yourself with a fork, of have a virus, but bad when caused by diet and/or extreme age/senescent cells. White blood cells by their mission contain toxic substances meant to attack invaders...but when there is no invader, these toxins do damage to healthy cells, especially endothelial cells that line our veins and arteries with the mission of secreting nitrous oxide which keeps blood slippery and flowing. Toxins in white blood cells and endotoxins in foods we eat are rough on endothelial cells, they destroying them and an turn causing cholesterol to stick to the damage and build up placks and we know the rest of this heart attack story.

For years we knew that 2 - 5 hours after eating meats (chicken, red, fish, it's all the same, it's muscle, and it all has the same endotoxins), people got a spike in their white blood cell count, or "toxemia." Well, it's known that saturated fat makes your intestine more porous and saturated fat ferries toxins from your intestine directly into your bloodstream.

Until recently they didn't know a couple of things: 1. Your body doesnt attack fat, then why the spike in WBC after eating fats - they mistakenly thought it was the protein, casein, in meats/fish/dairy...they were wrong....and 2. Digestion is two stage, first acids in upper tract, then "good bacteria" in lower track, colon area...well the theory was saturated fats were opening up absorption of the "good bacteria" in our colons, ferrying it intoour bloodstreams, triggering toxemia and high white blood cell count...

...and then an ah-ha moment...if there is always a spike and peak in WBC and toxemia 2 - 5 hours after eating a big mac, then it CAN'T be bacteria from your colon entering your bloodstream because it takes 8 hours for the big mac to get all the way down to your colon, and the spike starts 2 hours later...it must be something in the meat itself...

Enter endotoxins, bacteria in dead meat (we're talking tens of millions of colonies in a steak or fish or hunk of cheese, etc), that are made of toxic chemistry that tears up cells... and, this dead bacteria is seen as an invader by the immune system, thus raising WBC... It's not the type of protein in meat which was once thought, the protein casein is just a marker, where there is casein, there are bacteria made up of endotoxins...that are ferried by saturated fat from your upper intestine, and that's why everybody gets toxemia 2 - 5 hours after eating meat/dairy...and if you eat meat/dairy 3 times a day spaced apart 5 hours between meals, then we live in daily, all day, chronic toxemia...our cells are constantly getting torn up on the western diet.

Just to mention, it also doesn't matter that the meat is cooked and the bacteria is killed, the bacteria is still made of highly toxic substances (endotoxins), that tear up your cells, and dead bacteria are still seen as invaders triggering the spike in toxic white blood cells, it's a double whammy.

So don't blame me I didn't make the rules, this is just the science of what happens when we eat meats and dairy. The good news is because we are NOT omnivores and don't share characteristics of omnivores, we are designed to live off plant matter, and therefore plants naturally taste better than meats, if we only knew it...

What do I mean by that? Two things...for example, think of a cat, a carnivore...sharp teeth all the way back for tearing flesh...we have teeth for biting, and molars for grinding grains, quite unlike a cat. Cats have short digestive tracks so meats don't have time to putrefy as they do in slow human digestive tracks...and cats have far stronger stomach acids that digest meats rapidly, which humans don't have.

The second thing (I said two things above), is we have been conditioned since childhood to eat meats, accustomed to it's tastes and never knowing any different to how fucked up our digestion is, we've simply grown up accustomed to fucked up digestion...the result is it's easier for a meat eater to go whole food plant based, than it is for a whole food plant based eater to convert to meats, they simply don't want to put up with the fucked up digestive system that accompanies meats/dairy, even if they were once accustomed to it and took it as "normal," they just don't want to go back.

We got this way in the US through advertising in the media for meat, prepackaged, and dairy, and NO advertising for "big broccoli." Not only that but withheld info about damages of meat and dairy in the media as they don't want to piss off their sponsors. I was surprised as I never saw this before in my life, I never knew I was so thoroughly brainwashed. There is also a government/lobbying component of this, take the adulterated government food chart... the truth, and the so-called truth as modified by the meat and dairy industries:

The effect of campaign contributions altering the food chart.

So that's just a little intro, or overview. The other thing to mention is if you want to gain weight, go on a diet, after the diet you will gain back more than you lost...why? Because fat is stored in fat cells because lypogenesis (sp) enzymes stick fat molecules together into strings of fat molecules, storing more and more fat making those fat cells larger...sure, starving can rip the fat molecules off the lypogenesis enzyme strings, but it leaves the lypogenesis enzymes in the fat cells, starvation even created MORE enzymes...so when you begin to eat again your fat cells are just sitting there quivering to catch fat, your ability to store fat increases while you are on the diet. There's a fat molecule, grab it! Instead, there is another enzyme that we need to break the chains of fat (polymers) that are stuck together...when your done losing fat that way you have actually changed your body's ability to store fat.

And with all that said, here's some other interesting things about meats , dairy, and packaged foods..

It causes 14 of the top 15 causes of death (heart disease, cancer, copd, stroke, diabetes etc), and changing to whole food plant based reverses diseases that may already exist.

Meats cause toxemia and shorten telomeres, the non-coding "caps" on the ends of your chromosomes. They are 10, 000 base pairs long at birth, 7500 base pairs at age 35, and 4800 at age 65. Below 5000 things start to happen, cells go into senescence and stop multiplying while communication is lost from the dna to other parts of the cells. The damaging effect of this is mitochondria malfunction, releasing chemical signals which in turn triggers higher WBC, and we know where that goes....telomeres are your life fuse, (and btw, smoking burns down telomeres at up to 3x the normal rate...it may be slightly less bad than this new research shows, but it's still very very bad for telomeres - for lifespan).

Just to mention, when telomeres get short, whether they're in your lungs, immune system, pancreas, liver, wherever, you begin to get diseases from those systems. Remember, life is good till you get below 5000 base pairs, then suddenly there are problems from short telomeres in all systems...no matter what age you are when your telomeres go below 5000.

This explains why a few sunburns as a kid cause melanoma at age 40...sure, when you have 8000 base pairs you can burn down a couple thousand and still be above 5000...then age continues shortening telomeres and you get below 5000 early...like 40, and youre ready for skin cancer.

BTW, lobsters have dna that produces more telomerace (sp), an enzyme that maintains telomere length, that's why lobsters don't age. Humans cant simply take telomerace, immortal cells would cause us to die of cancer....BUT...while meat dairy shorten telomeres, whole food plant based maintains and can actually maintain and even lengthen telomeres, yes, reverse the clock to some extent.

It's also interesting that when meat protein is 20% of calories cancer is turned on, when it's below 5%, cancer gets turned off.

And to mention, if someone is eating right, smoking is #1 in telomere shortening, but STRESS is #2. They found this out by studying mothers of chronically and seriously ill children, (what's more stressing than a son with cancer). These moms aged far more rapidly, their telomeres shortened far more rapidly, than the control group with healthy kids.

More interesting facts on meats:

Media tells you to get water savers in your shower, fix leaky faucets, toilets, yadda yadda yadda, and the average american can save 47 gallons of water a day...impressive, 47 gallons. Then we go out and get a quarter pounder for lunch...and it takes 660 gallons of water to produce 1/4 pound of beef... and we haven't even had dinner yet. 2600 gallons of water to make 1 pound of beef.

Why does the media tell us about water savers to save 47 gallons a day, but not warn us about far far worse meats that waste 2600 gallons a day? Advertising dollars.

There are 6 billion people on the planet, at least a billion are starving...yet we raise enough corn and soybeans to feed 8 billion people...trouble is, the crops are going to livestock raised for slaughter to sell to us...so billions die of starvation for the profit of a few meat packers.

"Get enough protein" has been drilled into us...an advertising campaign. Truth is if you are eating even the most protein deficient plants, such as rice and potatoes, and eating enough to get enough calories to walk around, then you will be getting the RIGHT amount of protein...interesting herbivores get exactly the right amount of protein from plants, nature works that way, (otherwise the monkeys woulda all starved)...that we have to eat meat to get enough protein is bullshit, advertising bullshit.

BTW, where do cows get their protein that we eat them for? From plants. Why not cut out the middle-cow and get your protein straight from the source, and skip the cows and pigs.

1000 years ago humans and their animals made up 2% of the biomass of the planet...today with their livestock raised for slaughter, humans and their animals account for 98% of the biomass on the planet. We've been conditioned and conned by the meat packers into stealing and destroying the planet....hmm, why's that not on tv.

I hinted above about meats / dairy causing the TOP 15 killers and all the pain expense and suffering these top 15 diseases of choice/lifestyle cause.

We're losing the rain forest...91% of land clearing in the amazon (our oxygen producing planet's lungs), is for raising animals for slaughter...so meats are destroying the planet too...for profit.

Plains, trains, trucks, railroads, the whole transportation segment accounts for 19% of greenhouse gasses, carbon dioxide mostly - BUT 53% of greenhouse gasses is caused by raising animals for slaughter. Hmmm TV tells us the wonders of the more fuel efficient cars and we should buy them...WHY doesnt TV tell us the far worse problem of raising cows for slaughter? Advertising dollars. (and methane is about 160x more effective at trapping heat than carbon dioxide.

Se we die early, horrible, prolonged, frightening, expensive deaths...and destroy the planet... so Hormel, Swifts, Oscar Meyer and a couple of other meat packers can make money off us. Who gives a fuck if we die horrible deaths and kill the planet as long as a few families make money, and money-taking politicians stay in power.

What we don't know, kills us.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention animal cruelty, the few major meat packers who've monopolized the industry are cruel to the animals in the extreme. The average american eats 79 animals a year.

Oh yeah, all that cow poop is unfiltered, entering our waterways and creating vast toxic nitrogen blooms killing all the life that used to live in those waters...huge problem.

Have a hamburger(: Hmmm, maybe I don't want one so much now...

So that's a brief overview of what I've been finding, sorry my typos, gotta post as is and run...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:51 am 

Interesting chart, it's your odds of being alive at whatever age, as it relates to inflammation, (inflammation I wrote about in the post above).

Your "baseline" inflammation you can get in your yearly blood-work, ask your doctor what your WBC or total white blood cell count was. Note: if you get your bloodwork done while you have the flu, it will be whacko, for example my normal WBC is 6.1 but when I had the flu, two days after my fever broke my WBC was 18.4 (undoubtedly higher when I had the fever)....A few weeks later it had returned to 6.1. Also, WBC won't be at your baseline 2 - 5 hours after meat or dairy, though it won't be at 18 such as with the flu...you just won't get an accurate count of your true baseline.

You'd like this line to be near a linear 45 degrees drop as you age, similar to what the 5.6 line is doing, meaning nothing you are doing is causing the line to drop faster, which means you die faster.

The chart is comparing your odds of being alive at age 85, for folks with WBC of 5.6, "the odds be 50 - 50," folks above 7, not so good, odds are 8 in 10 are dead.

Something else that needs to be mentioned is "generally speaking" the earlier you die, the more years of crappy life you have at the end, extended years of scary, expensive, debilitation heart disease, copd, stroke, cancer, diabetes, dementia, yadda yadda yadda...conversely folks living longer get these things right near the end of their far longer (ave 14 years longer) lives. Quickly sick at 98 and gone in a year is far preferable to 15 years of battling multiple serious illnesses and dying like the average american male at 84...so it's much more than just living longer, it's quality of life, (they call it health span - disease span of a life).

It's almost sci-fi...I wrote about cell senescence above, when telomeres get short and DNA loses communication with mitochondria in cells, the mitochondria malfunction and leak out chemistry that triggers inflammation, triggers the production of white blood cells, just as though those cells have been stabbed with a fork, lol(above). These cells thankfully stop dividing, but as you get more and more and of them the chemical signals go up and WBC rises...and yes, there is a cycle component, toxins in more white blood cells damage more cells and more signal goes out...

So they took a bunch of older lab rats and removed their senescent cells and the rats got young again, literally, no difference between these old rats and young rats...so yes, we are getting close. Huge advances, especially since 2009 when Blackburn found the keys to the fountain of youth...now a lot of folks are interested, trying to find out how to work the darn thing...the deal is, yes, it DOES exist, and it's not sci-fi.

This thread is on aerobics...how does aerobics come into play related to telomeres, related to our life fuses? Most info I have seen points to aerobics helping protect telomere length, and the more the better, [ONE small study (I think it was only 38 people, almost too small to mention), showed more the better to a point, then a reversal when "overdoing" aerobic duration..again most of the evidence is more the better and it's strong evidence.

Here's a chart of telomere length and activity:

Here's a better one:

It looks at telomere length in immune cells of "Controls," or non-athletes, compared to athletic people over their lives.

Column one and two shows both groups young, where telomere length is around 8000 base pairs.

Column three is non athletic people around 50 years old approaching the critical 5000 base pair length where things start to go wrong as cells enter senescence.

But look at column 4, these people are 50 years old, but their telomere length is still near 8000, they literally have the cells of a 20 year old. There is a tendency |"to take care of oneself" in all ways, not just one...meaning these people who are aerobic in their 50's are more likely not to smoke, not to overdrink, to pay attention to what their eating, so it's not just the aerobics, but wow, these are the folks who will live to 100, and their "diseases of the aged" will be compressed into a couple-few short years at the end of their life, as compared to the controls who will live the "typical american life" and have 15 years of diseases of the aged starting in their 60's, increasing in severity, and dying with average americans early, say at 85.

It should be separately mentioned as it's so important that the athletes are not obese. Obesity raises inflammation just like endotoxins in meats. Obese smokers have a double whammy, and if they are meat eaters a triple whammy, they could be losing 150 - 200 base pairs a year....maybe even getting diseases of the aged in their 40's and dying in their 50's...they effectively cut their live span nearly in half.

I wish I'd known all of this earlier, the earlier you slow the loss of telomere base pairs, the longer you live and the better your life. The insidious part is there is a cliff you go off somewhere below 5000 base pairs...you're OK till you get below 5000...but you can't go back, if you get to 5000 early, you're already fucked.In other words, when it shows, it's already too late.

In my life I seriously burned my chromosomes at both ends for 25-30 years, losing base pairs at the associated reckless rate...but I can't change that...what I can do is slow the loss now and not stress about what I can't change.

I woke up one morning 25 years ago at age 38, at 230 pounds, 104 kg's..and after my third cigarette and third cup of coffee I felt a tingling in my left arm. This was the turnaround in my life, (I quit smoking, started eating better, and became aerobic an hour a day...80 pounds came off rapidly and I felt better).

I didn't change enough because I didn't know...I was eating a lot of chicken and not enough fruit and fresh veggies. I was doing what I thought was a pretty good diet, what the TV had taught my parents and me, but I was still sending endotoxins from meats into my bloodstream three times a day, keeping up mild toxemia, the raised WBC that shortens telomeres. I'm sure Swifts Premium and Kraft was happy.

Well, luckily I got addicted to aerobics, a decade or so on my Nordic Track before I discovered my bicycle. So I do have a component of telomerese protection of the "Aged Athletes" in the chart, though only a component of it...It was just dumb luck that I've been an aerobic non-smoker for 25+ years now...but I didn't know about endotoxins so I was still eating meat and fish. I did naturally stop milk way back when, but I still ate cheese which is like endotoxin concentrate.

I live better now, my battle is saturated fats as I love chips..and they cause my own bacteria to enter my bloodstream (see post above). I also sent too many cells into senescence in my reckless years...therefore my WBC is a little higher than it could have been. 6.1 is not too awful, but I'm trying to get it into the high 5's, it's a work in progress. It is interesting that whole foods[unprocessed/packaged] that are plant base have been shown to slow and even slightly lengthen telomeres, so there may be some opportunity to lower WBC there as well...lol, do the best I can, have fun, and don't worry about it :)

Sorry my typos, its time for a bike ride and I gotta go...anyways, I wanted to share some of the science I've found out about.

BTW, here is an awesomely awesome web site with a crapload of 10 minute videos that you can search by subject, etc...you can get lost in this site finding out all kinds of interesting health stuff...for example...

Here's one on chromosomes:
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/telome ... with-diet/

Here's one on endotoxins in meats:
https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-ex ... in-theory/

Last edited by baddy on Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:44 pm 

Trust your instincts. Your body knows. Pay attention to it.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:10 pm 

NO! NO! NO!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:47 am 

Waiting for an x-ray on my right foot. Very painful, red, and swollen. Hard to sleep the last three nights. This is the result of running six miles on a treadmill last week, something that is not unusual for me to do. Doctor says possible tendinitis or stress fracture. This has got me thinking I might want to give the high impact stuff up.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:07 pm 

Hope you get well soon!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:20 am 

Thank you Mr. GG. Haven’t got the results from the x-ray yet but finally got a good nights sleep last night and the pain has subsided quite a bit this morning.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:02 pm 

No stress fracture but the x-ray showed a bone spur-like growth on the top of my foot that is stressing the tendons during running. I think I’ll just monitor it over the next year and then amp my insurance up heading into 2019 if I think I might want to explore surgery. I had good results with surgery on my left heel in 2013 and would want to go see the same podiatrist.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:10 pm 

Bone spurs, bummer! Sooooo you'll have to go low/no impact for your ongoing fitness regime, have you considered swimming, cycling or the bike to nowhere KU?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:51 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
Bone spurs, bummer! Sooooo you'll have to go low/no impact for your ongoing fitness regime, have you considered swimming, cycling or the bike to nowhere KU?

I’ve never done those things for fitness and never really wanted to. It seems like you have to work so hard just to feel like you’ve done anything. I may have to give the stationary bike a try though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:23 am 

KUIII wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

I’ve never done those things for fitness and never really wanted to. It seems like you have to work so hard just to feel like you’ve done anything. I may have to give the stationary bike a try though.

The secret to the stationary bike is to start off slow, day one do five minutes day two do seven minutes day three do ten minutes etc, or day on day off until your muscles get used to it.

I have a friend that went from zero fitness straight into 30 minutes on the bike to nowhere, he was a cripple for a week!.....All those unused muscles that hadn't had a work out for years staged a rebellion. It took him a month to get completely over it, and another Month to get back on the bike.....Oh how we laughed! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:44 am 

I suck at losing weight. I did lose 49 lbs over about 10 months. My body, not to mention my mental health, went crazy when I started eating normal again. The shit your body puts you through when you stop dieting is powerful as hell. I guess my body has been feeding off mostly muscle for a while. As I said earlier in this thread, if you lose weight, don't even think for a minute that you're done. My net loss over a couple of years is 8-9 lbs. So in one respect, it worked, sorta. Way too much work for such a tiny loss tho.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next