Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:31 pm 

I recorded this EP for my little niece Ya'ara for her 2nd birthday, so she'd have something good to listen to instead of that crappy children's music.

Original compositions by Frank Zappa, arrangements by me.

(no, not me-lapsed maps-me. nadav lazar)

http://nadavlazar.bandcamp.com/album/baby-zappa-2

edit: damn it. sorry for the ass backwardness.
1 & 2 + baby crimson here: http://nadavlazar.bandcamp.com/music

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:03 pm 

I like the songs on the 1st link. Beats the hell outta Old Macdonald's Farm. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:38 am 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:13 pm 

Interesting... :smoke:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:04 am 

tributo:
http://unmatched.bandcamp.com/album/tributo-a-zappa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:36 am 

(10 yr old raghav mehrotra!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0oMQ8-fnBc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:42 am 

Coming in at 30 minutes, and completed from start to finish in less than a week, Mantrakid has surprised us again with Xenochrony — another remix album in the vein of last year's MissyKid (Missy Elliott Remixes).

This time around the bend, it's a whole new bag of samples tenderly torn from their original homes in songs like "Apostrophe", "The Central Scrutinizer", "Peaches En Regalia" and "Dinah-moe Humm". Overtop of the reconstructed (or not) samples & loops are Mantrakids influence of vocals, guitar, basslines, and drum sequences that bring a deeply oddball psychedelic electro-hiphop flavour to the construct.

The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

This tribute is but a mere drop in the bucket of the massive back catalogue of the musical mastermind Frank Zappa, but the expression Mantrakid delivers on his remixes and re-imaginings of these Zappa favourites are a true homage to the essence of unique human musicality and experimentation that Zappa held integral throughout his diverse, extensive career.

We can only hope Zappa (and Zappa fans) enjoy nodding their collective universal consciousness to this as much as we do.

Released one week after it's inception, Xenochrony is FREE to download and share amongst your friends.

Xenochrony is a studio-based musical technique developed at an unknown date, but possibly as early as the early 1960s, by Frank Zappa, who used it on several albums. Xenochrony is executed by extracting a guitar solo or other musical part from its original context and placing it into a completely different song, in order to create an unexpected but pleasing effect. He said that this was the only way to achieve some rhythms. (Wikipedia)
creditsreleased 04 January 2013

http://neferiu.bandcamp.com/album/xenochrony

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:10 pm 

^ I'm never gonna listen to it because I think the name Mantrakid sucks.

Plus, I'm tired of leeches and parasites attaching their names to Zappa while they excavate his work.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:59 pm 

plus PLUS... that artwork!

just... Image

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:04 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:37 am 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:10 am 

what about:

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.a ... tyle=music

Scheduled to release
Friday, April 07, 2017

:?:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:47 am 

^ Which one is it? The "early years" or "the 70s"?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:37 am 

Four discs featuring rare recordings, all originally broadcast on FM radio, and now available here in this superb digipack set.
The tracks and shows represented on this set illustrate the spectrum of Zappa's early live work from the 70s.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:21 am 

Tracklist
1-1 Tush Tush Tush
1-2 Stinkfoot
1-3 RDNZL
1-4 Village Of The Sun
1-5 Enchniada's Arf
1-6 Don't You Ever Wash That Thing?
1-7 Apostrophe
1-8 Penguin In Bondage
1-9 T'Mershi Duween
1-10 Dog Meat
1-11 Building A Girl
1-12 Stage Banter
1-13 Dinah-Moe Humm
2-1 Camarillo Brillo
2-2 Montana
2-3 Dupree's Paradise
2-4 Solos --> Chunga's Revenge
2-5 Encore Intros
2-6 Oh No
2-7 Son Of Orange County
2-8 More Trouble Everyday
2-9 Deathless Horsie
2-10 Dancin' Fool
3-1 Easy Meat
3-2 Honey Don't You Want A Man Like Me?
3-3 Keep It Greasey
3-4 Village Of The Sun
3-5 The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing
3-6 City Of Tiny Lights
3-7 Pound For A Brown
3-8 Bobby Brown
3-9 Conehead
3-10 Mo's Vacation
3-11 The Black Page
3-12 Is That Guy Kidding Or What?
4-1 I Have Been In You
4-2 Flakes
4-3 Magic Fingers
4-4 Don't Eat The Yellow Snow
4-5 Nanook Rubs It
4-6 St. Alfonzo's Pancake Breakfast
4-7 Father O'Blivion
4-8 Rollo
4-9 Little House I Used To Live In
4-10 Tell Me You Love Me
4-11 Yo Mama
4-12 Black Napkins

Notes
CD1 - CD2 tracks 2-1 / 2-8 : Live at Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, november 23, 1974. Soundboard 123mn
CD2 tracks 2-9 /2-10 - CD3 - CD4 : Live at Mid Hudson Center, Poughkeepsie, NY, september 21, 1978. Soundboard 128mn

https://www.discogs.com/Frank-Zappa-Live-On-Air-The-Early-Years/release/9724477

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:30 pm 

Both have been available for FREE
here and
here for five+ and 11+ years, respectively.
Why pay your hard earned money to someone who had nothing to do with those recordings or the music
when you can get them for free?
Really? Even if you're just stubborn about throwing away money to some asshole who doesn't deserve it, why?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:13 pm 

Hello punknay...

I've seen alot of those type of posts over the years. Ya sound kinda angry and I'm not sure why. Its as though music fans are doing it wrong or something and need to be set straight about how to listen to FZ.
Not sure if you can tell, but I didn't buy it. However, I have no problem with people who do. People spend money on much worse things than music.
For free?... not really. As someone who has spent unreasonable amounts of time d/ling, ipod playlisting, editing, making tracklists and artwork for cdrs, I can't agree that free is the right word. My time is worth something. If I wish to trade a few dollars for a cd with better packaging than I can make, that I can do what I want with, how is that a problem? I have several friends who I trade cds with, but they have no interest at all in becoming d/l addicts. They are old enough that they don't want to d/l, but they'll still buy a cd.
Why are the people who make such things "assholes"? I suppose if it is because they spell Echiadna's Arf, I can agree. But, in the selling of these items vs the d/ling of them neither FZ nor the ZFT are harmed in any way, so if people want to make copies of stuff that is "free", what is the matter with that?
What about, say, Rhino, who often puts out collections of music that they had no hand in recording. They just bought the rights, then repackaged the material as they saw fit. In this situation, buying the rights is "free", so how is it any different to say that Rhino can do what they will and anyone else can't or shouldn't make a profit off of something "free"? Maybe its the equivalent of buying a can of air, but that is a personal value judgement. The people who buy the stuff clearly value it at the purchase price. There is obviously a market for people who want to buy such things, so I don't know why they need a finger wagging at them for doing so. I know one forum member who would cry about the "composer's intent", but we don't need to bring Trendy into this, do we? :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:24 pm 

Agree with you Arkay. I don't download anything. I'm pretty selective when it comes to those kinds of releases but I do have some and I'm glad I have them in my collection. And, from what I've learned these so called "gray area" releases are legal under UK copyright laws pertaining to material that originated as radio broadcasts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:42 pm 

I suppose enriching someone who is contemptuously using FZ's music to exploit a certain ravenous group of music lovers for selfish reasons might be an ethical problem for some folks.

I know nothing about Laser Media. Perhaps they do their job with great respect for the deceased artist whose work they profit from.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:13 am 

Hey Arkay, I'm not angry. It may be merely a matter of different people's sense of priorities and, hence, an opinion.

Do I begrudge the online vendor who is selling that 90 min Vancouver tape song by song at 89 cents a selection on an mp3 format? Quite a bit. Because they are profiting from distributing something they had no hand in creating, with no value added, that is also a demonstrably inferior, disintegrating sound quality to boot. Customers who go for those things just seem dumb if money is something those cutomers have to be mindful of. Fifteen songs at that price, for example is $13.35. I would rather spend that money on something else since I know I can spend fifteen minutes at a laptop and download it without infringing anybody's potential or existing copyright. Listen for free. Ethically. Or, 'Save fourteen dollars today..."

Some people indeed love handling the format, playing a record, shopping at a brick and mortar store, and shopping online. I don't deny that. I'm just sayin' people don't have to lose their money in order to hear that music. If they want. Will I buy that or those other items? No. Because I already have in these instances what I love, for free: the music.

Have I spent years d/l'ing and listening to all that stuff? Sure. I love it. Do I feel a bit smug that it was free, except for the time it took to go over and over all of this music I love? I guess that's up to somebody else. :mrgreen:

Last edited by punknaynowned on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:57 am 

see now, i didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.
in any event...
i am deleting my account in 25 - 30 minutes.

#laststraw

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:21 pm 

lapsed maps wrote:
see now, i didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

So it seems. This has been bothering me (very slightly) since, I dunno, around the time you got yer new laptop. Your first 3,000 posts- almost all you did was ruffle feathers. I want some of the old Maps back. Our feathers need some ruffling. Don't you think?

Or else I'm deleting my account.

The old Maps never would have let me get away with ending this sentence with the word "from"...
Quote:
Perhaps they do their job with great respect for the deceased artist whose work they profit from.

how's this?...
Perhaps they do their job with great respect for the deceased artist from whose work they profit.

Remember when you started a thread titled Perhaps?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:03 am 

ok downer, let us consider some mere orts for contemplation here.

downer mydnyte wrote:
Your first 3,000 posts- almost all you did was ruffle feathers. I want some of the old Maps back. Our feathers need some ruffling. Don't you think?

what i had initially meant was:
i didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with this particular thread.
as coo coo key rayzee as that may sound...
i was throwing my hat into the informing circle.
you know, possibly popping some little birds upon some unaware shoulders.
not only that, in retrospect, i could have never and possibly didn't even MAKE this thread.
--- it's complicated.

nothing short of the grand illusion where the card dealer has no arms and the table has no legs.

another thing worthy of remembrance...
some of my posts, we'll call those "the tender scripts", those are created and supplied solely by dr gireaux.
the doctor has a knack for splicing into the link labyrinth in eager attempts of reversing the disturbance.

personally, i remain rapturous upon beholding such inadequate methods of explosion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:35 pm 

Ah yes. gireaux. The less said the better.

My feathers have now been ruffled. I asked for it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:32 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Ah yes. gireaux. The less said the better.

exactly.
it's like i don't even