Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 11:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:54 pm 

Consider this:

Friday, June 5th, The Tubes @ the Coach House, San Juan Capistrano
Saturday, June 6th, Todd Rundgren @ the Coach House, San Juan Capistrano

Road trip?

This is coevad country.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:01 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Consider this:

Road trip?

This is coevad country.

Very interesting, any Nor Cal dates for TR?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:43 pm 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Consider this:

Road trip?

This is coevad country.

No. He's at the Roxy on the Wednesday before the coach house show and that's the only other CA show listed. He's actually in SF next week in Ringo's All-Starr Band.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:19 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Consider this:

Road trip?

This is coevad country.

Some thoughts-
I've never seen The Tubes. I've heard a clip from each song on TR's new release Global. Sounds too much like State. If Kasim and Prairie Prince are in the band it'll be a good show, though. Kasim has a lot of Blue Oyster Cult dates that conflict with the TR tour schedule. BOC has fill in bassists, though. We'll see. It would be cool to watch Prairie play two nights in a row, with different bands.

I'm going to these shows so far:

BOC - Saturday May 16th @ La Mirada PAC - lots of great seats left. https://lamiradatheatre.secure.force.co ... 00540SAEAY - (No opener announced. Sounds like a two hour show to me!)

RUSH - Saturday August 1st @ The Fabulous Forum(my first time there since the remodeling). Sold out(except for the red Rockefeller seats, which will turn blue again sometime in July).

OC/DC - Sat. August 8th @ A tribute band fueled festival in Bakersfield Ca. (we're opening for Pyromania & Aeromyth)

AC/DC - Monday Sept. 28th @ Dodger Stadium

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:04 pm 

I'm sure Prairie will be playing. That's probably the motivation for the Tubes playing that show. The Tubes schedule has been very sporadic partly because it's almost like a hobby to them at this point in their careers and partly because Todd always is top priority for Prairie because it's a bigger paycheck. I definitely wouldn't go that far on my own for it but if Plook and the gang were interested in making an event out of it I'd be in. It comes fairly close on the heels of the Vegas extravaganza though.

Btw coevad, how's the Coach House? I was pretty impressed by their concert calendar.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:51 pm 

I'd rather do an *event* around Sac or the SF Bay Area and split costs. It's more fun to take Amtrak* and BART and taxi's, etc.** imho. What's with DZPZ dissin' the north coast anyway? chumcloud, are we gonna see some dates up here on this 2015 world tour?
Reno and Tahoe would be cool too. :wink: 8)
A train trip, Sac to Salt Lake City, ski, see a show, kick a mormon and take a sleeper on the way back. Cheaper than Vegas... :idea:

*ask duchamp

**Or bike's if you'd prefer. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:15 pm 

Yeah, I get you Kapt. I just threw this out as an option. I know I'm probably the biggest Tubes fan on this site. If the Tubes and Todd were playing back to back in Sacramento or Reno I would be all over it. But yeah, if there's enough interest I would do this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:27 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Yeah, I get you Kapt. I just threw this out as an option. I know I'm probably the biggest Tubes fan on this site. If the Tubes and Todd were playing back to back in Sacramento or Reno I would be all over it. But yeah, if there's enough interest I would do this.

I figure The Tubes are better in front of their home crowd too. I'd love for another DZpZ show around here or a Zappa show up their in Chico. No one's around here playing any Zappa! :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:32 pm 

I don't think we can complain too much. ZPZ has played Northern California a lot since their inception (a lot more than Frank ever did) and I anticipate more to come.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:46 pm 

coevad wrote:
Some thoughts-
I've never seen The Tubes. I've heard a clip from each song on TR's new release Global. Sounds too much like State. If Kasim and Prairie Prince are in the band it'll be a good show, though. Kasim has a lot of Blue Oyster Cult dates that conflict with the TR tour schedule. BOC has fill in bassists, though. We'll see. It would be cool to watch Prairie play two nights in a row, with different bands.

BOC - Saturday May 16th @ La Mirada PAC - lots of great seats left. https://lamiradatheatre.secure.force.co ... 00540SAEAY - (No opener announced. Sounds like a two hour show to me!)

RUSH - Saturday August 1st @ The Fabulous Forum(my first time there since the remodeling). Sold out(except for the red Rockefeller seats, which will turn blue again sometime in July).

OC/DC - Sat. August 8th @ A tribute band fueled festival in Bakersfield Ca. (we're opening for Pyromania & Aeromyth)

I looked up tour dates for BOC and found out they weren't going to be in Omaha, but they were going to be in Gering. It's like, what? Gering? It's almost Wyoming. Who's left from the original band, Buck and Bloom? I think Buck is very under-rated as a guitarist.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:53 pm 

I agree. Buck is a really good guitar player. He has been since the '70's. I remember him quoting Frank as an influence from way back when.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:15 am 

KUIII wrote:
I'm sure Prairie will be playing. That's probably the motivation for the Tubes playing that show. The Tubes schedule has been very sporadic partly because it's almost like a hobby to them at this point in their careers and partly because Todd always is top priority for Prairie because it's a bigger paycheck. I definitely wouldn't go that far on my own for it but if Plook and the gang were interested in making an event out of it I'd be in. It comes fairly close on the heels of the Vegas extravaganza though.

Btw coevad, how's the Coach House? I was pretty impressed by their concert calendar.

The Coach House is similar to the Roxy in Hollywood in capacity(400-500) and lay out. CH is all tables, though. Everyone sits, unless you're standing at the back wall or bar. Dinner res. gets you the best tables. If you don't do dinner, the earlier you get their, the better.

Todd Rundgren, Coach House 2011 - http://youtu.be/o5RfCpALE24
This was a worldwide webcast show, and my only TR show. I yelled 'Buffalo Grass' just before it started. The Todd babbles were quite amusing once you started to get the jokes.

Note: be patient during Lucky Guy. It will play through.

Last edited by coevad on Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:39 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
coevad wrote:
Some thoughts-

I looked up tour dates for BOC and found out they weren't going to be in Omaha, but they were going to be in Gering. It's like, what? Gering? It's almost Wyoming. Who's left from the original band, Buck and Bloom? I think Buck is very under-rated as a guitarist.

BOC is:

Eric Bloom
Buck Dharma
Kasim Sultan - Bass, Vocal
Richie Castellano - Keys, Guitar, Vocal
Jules Ranido - Drums

A week ago Buck got stuck in the airport(weather) and BOC had to perform as a four piece. Richie played Bucks parts in a shortened show.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:32 am 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:
Consider this:

Road trip?

This is coevad country.

TR Global Northwest dates.

Tue 6/09/15 Napa, CA City Winery

Wed 6/10/15 San Francisco, CA The Fillmore

Fri 6/12/15 Portland, OR Wonder Ballroom

Sat 6/13/15 Seattle, WA The Crocodile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:17 am 

Too bad those TR Nor Cal shows are on weeknights!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:56 pm 

coevad wrote:

BOC is:

Eric Bloom
Buck Dharma
Kasim Sultan - Bass, Vocal
Richie Castellano - Keys, Guitar, Vocal
Jules Ranido - Drums

A week ago Buck got stuck in the airport(weather) and BOC had to perform as a four piece. Richie played Bucks parts in a shortened show.

Correction - Buck and Jules were stuck in the airport and April Wine was stuck in Dallas and had to cancel as the support act. See line-up 4 below.

Here are the different BOC line-ups. From - http://www.hotrails.co.uk/index.htm

Line-Up 1

Eric Bloom vocals/guitar/keys
Buck Dharma guitar/vocals
Richie Castellano keys/gtr/vcls
Kasim Sulton bass/vocals
Jules Radino drums

Line-Up 2

Rudy Sarzo bass/vocals/guitar
Bobby Rondinelli drums
Line-Up 3

Kasim Sulton bass/vocals
Jules Radino drums
Andy Ascolese percussion
Line-Up 4

Richie Castellano guitar/vocals
Kasim Sulton bass/vocals
Andy Ascolese drums

Note: Andy Ascolese can also sub for Kasim or Richie

Set list: Santa Fe NM

Red and the Black
Summer of Love
Burnin' For You (sung by Kasim! And quite well)
OD'd on Life
ME262
Hot Rails To Hell (sung by Richie)
Last Days of May (sung by Richie)
Godzilla
Don't Fear the Reaper (sung by Richie)
Cities on Flame

Richie : Eric and I were very sick from the cruise. Eric handled singing while sick better than I did. It was a real challenge, but the crowd was unbelievable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:56 pm 

I knew this was happening. I did not know who was in the band. F-ya. Too bad you'll be gone by then, Plook. Right?

I'm broke :cry:
I've heard clips from the album. It's great!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:59 pm 

coevad wrote:
I knew this was happening. I did not know who was in the band. F-ya. Too bad you'll be gone by then, Plook. Right?

I'm broke :cry:
I've heard clips from the album. It's great!

Jamie Kimes on fb and has had this ad out for a week or so now. It should be a great show, I've heard some tracks from Alley's and really liked the energy, composition and style of his writing/composing. I'd love to go to the show! But..., it's just too darn much $$'s to fly, hotel, expenses, etcetera. I'd suggest to Plook to stay and see it if he can and drive home Sat.. Definitely worth it, imho.
I'll bet he won't and will use his shoulder and follow up appointment for therapy as an excuse. That or AG really, really, really "needs" and is "lost" without him. Bwahahaha! :wink: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:34 pm 

Dam going to miss it by that much... :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:55 am 

Plook wrote:
Dam going to miss it by that much...

Treat "the younger" to a surprise ticket to the show if she's still there. It ain't that much $$. I think K would dig it too. :idea:

Great job on all the specs of the Vegas tour bro'. I hope Butte county will see their way to forgive me without any monetary penalties, so I can go too. There is a small possibility of incarceration also*, so I can't promise a nekked Kapt. on the deck of Hot Tub II! :wink: :mrgreen:

*they threaten that shit all the time. :evil:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:06 am 

Oh you poor people, too many shows....:)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:27 am 

Plook wrote:
Dam going to miss it by that much... :smoke:

Damn! Travers and Keneally again!

Baked Potato, March 21st:

Mike Keneally
And Beer For Dolphins
Mike Keneally...Super Guitar
Joe Travers…Mega Drums
Bryan Bellar…Fat Bass

Oh well. They'll be back and so will Plook. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:17 am 

Just announced - Todd Rundgren @ House Of Blues Anaheim, June 7th. That's close by.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:31 pm 

coevad wrote:
Just announced - Todd Rundgren @ House Of Blues Anaheim, June 7th. That's close by.

I hope he adds some shows in Nor Cal I would like to take AG to see him... :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:51 am 

A couple of somewhat Zappa related shows at Harlow's coming up.

Shuggie Otis - Sat. 5/23
The Aristocrats - Mon. 7/6

I'm definitely seeing the Aristocrats. That is one hot band! I'd like to see Shuggie too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 27  Next