Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 12:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:55 pm 

Enjoy KC. Looking forward to a review.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:07 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Looking forward to a review.

+1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:03 pm 

KUIII wrote:

Any words of advice for Dave for the drive there and back... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:11 pm 

Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

A Dave Edmunds lyric comes to mind: "Hold on tight and don't let go". :mrgreen: Have fun!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:22 pm 

KUIII wrote:
Plook wrote:
KUIII wrote:

A Dave Edmunds lyric comes to mind: "Hold on tight and don't let go". :mrgreen: Have fun!

It's funny how the mind works. I was thinking about the ELO song. I don't think Dave Edmunds had anything to do with that but Jeff Lynne produced a Dave Edmunds album at about the same time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:01 pm 

Sit behind Plook. Safest spot but sorta wanky Mr. Daisy without a full car. :mrgreen: Have fun y'all, wish I coulda' make it! :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:03 pm 

KUIII wrote:
It's funny how the mind works. I was thinking about the ELO song. I don't think Dave Edmunds had anything to do with that but Jeff Lynne produced a Dave Edmunds album at about the same time.

Do they sing "Don't bring me down"...Brrrrrrruce or what's that lyric anyways?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:19 am 

What an incredible performance by King Crimson last night! We upgraded from row V to row L, directly in front of Robert Fripp. The band was plenty loud and tight. The three drummers were definitely the highlight of the show. Sometimes they would split one quick drum fill into three parts. 3-D drumming! I really enjoyed Fripp's different guitar tones throughout the evening. Jakko's voice was great, as well as his guitar work. Tony Levin is always awesome to watch. He played all three of his basses during one song. My favorite was his upright. Mel Collins played a variety of woodwinds, and played them very well. At one point Jakko played flute with him.

My friend said that the first night the crowd was more out of control, and would yell out any time there was the smallest break. Last night started out that way, but as the show progressed, there were times you could hear a pin drop in the middle of a song.

Hey dm, towards the end of the show some guy yelled out 'Fracture!' That's a good one to yell if your gonna do that. And I think he lived to tell the tale. Also, before Starless some balcony people came down and sat in the row in front of us. One guy had these giant binoculars, and was using them constantly....from the 10th row? Maybe he needed to see Fripps nostrils or something.

Before the show, near the merch booth line, I spotted Mr. Ryan Brown. I said hi, and had a short chat with him. (ZPZ rehearsals start in March 2015) Of course I mentioned 'Packard Goose' and his eyes got big. He said that was a song he played some of when he auditioned for ZPZ. We also saw James Santiago in the seats before the show. I talked to him after the show and basically said: See you at the Baked Potato Friday for some cool jazz.

Danny Carey of Tool was also sighted at both KC shows.

The new CD box was purchased and listened to til 1am.

That's all I've got 8)

Last edited by coevad on Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:35 pm 

Wow sounds like a great night, good review...I guess I better not bring my giant binoculars Friday, and it would not be Scheila's nostrils I would be checking out... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:09 pm 

Plook wrote:
Wow sounds like a great night, good review...I guess I better not bring my giant binoculars Friday, and it would not be Scheila's nostrils I would be checking out... :mrgreen:

This will be my first time there(BakedPotato). I hope they turn off the spud-cooker so the place isn't one million degrees when we walk in.
It'll be near 100deg. up there tomorrow. Look's like I'm wearing board shorts and a tanktop.

Last edited by coevad on Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:11 pm 

coevad wrote:
Plook wrote:

This will be my first time there. I hope they turn off the spud-cooker so the place isn't one million degrees when we walk in.
It'll be near 100deg. up there tomorrow. Look's like I'm wearing board shorts and a tanktop.

We'll be representing the beach crew because that's my uniform... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:58 pm 

coevad wrote:
What an incredible performance by King Crimson last night! We upgraded from row V to row L, directly in front of Robert Fripp. The band was plenty loud and tight. The three drummers were definitely the highlight of the show. Sometimes they would split one quick drum fill into three parts. 3-D drumming! I really enjoyed Fripp's different guitar tones throughout the evening. Jakko's voice was great, as well as his guitar work. Tony Levin is always awesome to watch. He played all three of his basses during one song. My favorite was his upright. Mel Collins played a variety of woodwinds, and played them very well. At one point Jakko played flute with him.

My friend said that the first night the crowd was more out of control, and would yell out any time there was the smallest break. Last night started out that way, but as the show progressed, there were times you could hear a pin drop in the middle of a song.

Hey dm, towards the end of the show some guy yelled out 'Fracture!' That's a good one to yell in gonna do that. And I think he lived to tell the tale. Also, before Starless some balcony people came down and sat in the row in front of us. One guy had these giant binoculars, and was using them constantly....from the 10th row? Maybe he needed to see Fripps nostrils or something.

Before the show, near the merch booth line, I spotted Mr. Ryan Brown. I said hi, and had a short chat with him. (ZPZ rehearsals start in March 2015) Of course I mentioned 'Packard Goose' and his eyes got big. He said that was a song he played some of when he auditioned for ZPZ. We also saw James Santiago in the seats before the show. I talked to him after the show and basically said: See you at the Baked Potato Friday for some cool jazz.

That's all I've got 8)

Great review! They're in SF Friday and Saturday but I won't be there. Hopefully there will be some cd and DVD product coming out from this tour.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:02 pm 

coevad wrote:
Plook wrote:

This will be my first time there(BakedPotato). I hope they turn off the spud-cooker so the place isn't one million degrees when we walk in.

Man, the Baked Potato seems to be the place in LA where all the musos play. Kinda legendary in that regard but I imagine it's just another hole in the wall. Sounds like my kinda place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:47 am 

KUIII wrote:
coevad wrote:

Hey dm, towards the end of the show some guy yelled out 'Fracture!' That's a good one to yell in gonna do that. And I think he lived to tell the tale. Also, before Starless some balcony people came down and sat in the row in front of us. One guy had these giant binoculars, and was using them constantly....from the 10th row? Maybe he needed to see Fripps nostrils or something.

That's all I've got 8)

Great review! They're in SF Friday and Saturday but I won't be there. Hopefully there will be some cd and DVD product coming out from this tour.

I saw a small video camera at the mixing board.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:00 pm 

Playing Centerfield Sports Bar & Grill in Huntington Beach tonight 9 - 1am.
Jellyfish welcomed. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:29 pm 

coevad wrote:

Dude I'm cooked... :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:46 pm 

Plook wrote:
coevad wrote:

What! You get out there and root for the home team boy! :wink:

I'd at least make a showing..... :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:37 am 

KAPT.KIIIRK wrote:
Plook wrote:
coevad wrote:

What! You get out there and root for the home team boy! :wink:

I'd at least make a showing..... :twisted:

We ate dinner after surfing I came back to the room and it was lights out... :!:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:04 pm 

That's OK Plookster. We raged on Friday!
We really needed you to cruise in around 11:00pm with with a herd of chicks from the Gaslamp&PCH Club. Yes, our show was deadsville. It was still a lot of fun playing live, though. We nailed the James brown classic "I Feel Good."

Thanks again for everything on Friday. We sure absorbed a lot of sound patterns in four hours.

20 Small Cigars - http://youtu.be/Je5ibQZmNtk from The Baked Potato

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:08 pm 

coevad wrote:
That's OK Plookster. We raged on Friday!
We really needed you to cruise in around 11:00pm with with a herd of chicks from the Gaslamp&PCH Club. Yes, our show was deadsville. It was still a lot of fun playing live, though. We nailed the James brown classic "I Feel Good."

Thanks again for everything on Friday. We sure absorbed a lot of sound patterns in four hours.

20 Small Cigars - http://youtu.be/Je5ibQZmNtk from The Baked Potato

My videos look great but the sound is horrific... :?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:28 pm 

We were too close.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:29 am 

Jamie Kime hosts The Baked Potato's Monday night jam. Tonight Joe Travers will be playing some drums.

http://youtu.be/3wIO3FaBToo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:27 pm 

Got a Black Friday gig @ Pint's in Long Beach. 8-11pm. Good pay, good food(I hear). New songs learned: Evil Ways, Breakdown(TP), I Feel Good, Gold On The Ceiling and Sweet Caroline. I'm a bass whore. I'll learn almost anything if it pays :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:03 am 

coevad wrote:
Got a Black Friday gig @ Pint's in Long Beach. 8-11pm. Good pay, good food(I hear). New songs learned: Evil Ways, Breakdown(TP), I Feel Good, Gold On The Ceiling and Sweet Caroline. I'm a bass whore. I'll learn almost anything if it pays :mrgreen:

Good for you Dave, hey have fun with it, ham it up... :idea:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:21 pm 

^ Boy was it ever dead. Nice place, though. Consumed some nice stout.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 27  Next